Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny thing is since I have started to homebrew I have also found myself getting interested in making other things from scratch. Some are out of my graspe due to price/time (both to DIY and do - HB always takes priority:D)
I have started to get into making my own bagels (much better than the ones we can buy at 1/10th the price!)
I want to start smoking (not tabaco/etc.), making hot sauce and making more meals without relying on bottled sauces, etc.

You should start smoking (yes tobacco).

I was talking to a coworker about brewing my own beer and she commented that it sounded like one of the manliest hobbies you could take up. I mentioned that there's even an online homebrewers group I'm a member of and she asked me what I did on HBT.

"Um.... we trade recipes a lot."

Don't let Yoo Know Who read that, or we're in for another round of 'not all girls like crappy beer'.

Funny thing is since I have started to homebrew I have also found myself getting interested in making other things from scratch. Some are out of my graspe due to price/time (both to DIY and do - HB always takes priority:D)
I have started to get into making my own bagels (much better than the ones we can buy at 1/10th the price!)
I want to start smoking (not tabaco/etc.), making hot sauce and making more meals without relying on bottled sauces, etc.

Sounds like my progression! :mug:

Next on the list is meat curing and sausage making. Oh, and I've found that, after getting the fire going in the smoker and getting the meat on, I smell like a campfire so that's just the perfect time to enjoy a nice cigar (since I'll be stinky anyway.)

haha...here's an amusing one. Every time I fire up the bbq pit & get a big honkin chunk of meat on it,the resulting smoke drives the well-healed yuppies in the developement crazy. I then see expensive SUV's headin out,several at a time...only to re-appear some 20-30 minutes later. Think maybe I had something to do with it?!! :rolleyes:

This is a little off the usual topics, but it is something beer-related that I heard...

Guy I see at work once in a while who was also in a homebrewing workshop with me at my LHBS. I ask him how his beer is going. Turns out he boiled, fermented, bottled, everything's fine... until he's putting on his last few caps and realizes the packet of priming sugar is still on the counter.

But his packet of PBW powder is gone...

At least the insides of his bottles will stay clean. :cross:

Getting back on topic...

I was at the Vermont Pub & Brewery, a brewpub founded by the legendary Greg Noonan... when the following exchange occurred at the table behind me:

Lady: Can I get a Coors?
Waitress: I'm sorry, we brew all our beer right here. We have everything on this menu.
Lady: So no Coors?
Waitress: Right.
Lady: I'm gonna need a minute.

while I was picking Rochefort 10 & Westmall Dubbel off the shelf today:

guy: huh.
me: eh?
guy: I like craft beer too. (holds up Strongbow)<----*
me: yep.

*edit: my bad y'all. it was Angry Orchard.

Poured some of my ESB for a friend. He dipped his finger in the head and swirled it around and asked me if I know what head is for on a beer. He said it is to keep the beer cold. Then he said he is using the oil on his finger to get rid of it.

One night at a bar I tried to convince the bartender to stop pouring the head off my beer and filling the glass to overflowing. She just didn't get it.

ChshreCat said:
One night at a bar I tried to convince the bartender to stop pouring the head off my beer and filling the glass to overflowing. She just didn't get it.

I was at a brewpub a couple weeks ago and they made an 11% IIPA called the Hillbilly. I was amazed that they would serve that in a full pint, but when the bartender started pouring off the head to make sure I got every ounce...

I was in too much shock to tell her not to bother at the time, couldn't drink more than the one, and when I went back last week it was gone. I'm still a little sad. Best beer I've even had there.

I was at a brewpub a couple weeks ago and they made an 11% IIPA called the Hillbilly. I was amazed that they would serve that in a full pint, but when the bartender started pouring off the head to make sure I got every ounce...

I was in too much shock to tell her not to bother at the time, couldn't drink more than the one, and when I went back last week it was gone. I'm still a little sad. Best beer I've even had there.

There's a brew pub here in CT that refuses to pour their beer with any head whatsoever. I've left multiple comment cards indicating my displeasure with the lack of head on their beer. So far they're not getting it so I may send an e-mail if I go there again and it's still an issue. It would be one thing if it was a bar, but a fvcking brew pub! They should know better.

bzwyatt said:
Poured some of my ESB for a friend. He dipped his finger in the head and swirled it around and asked me if I know what head is for on a beer. He said it is to keep the beer cold. Then he said he is using the oil on his finger to get rid of it.

I don't know the accuracy of whether that actually works but I have seen it done and done it myself with the hopes of shrinking an overly aggressive and large head on poorly poured beer. Not well poured beer with a nice lingering head , like rayon vert ridiculously over sized head.

What the heck is rayon vert? I knew somebody would do a 'well actually' on this one.

I gave him the beer to enjoy, so if he didn't want head on it, whatever. I thought it looked kinda dumb, dipping his finger in beer. I like to get rid of head by sticking my lips in it and sucking beer through it. The head was great and is one characteristic of this beer that is beautiful and delicious. I thought about telling him the head can be really enjoyable, but couldn't think of a way to do it without sounding like I was correcting him. He said the beer was great, so it was all good.

I they poured a beer with a nice thick head on it someone would complain about getting a short pour. That someone of course would be missing the point of a perfectly poured pint. That someone would be me. I want that mug brimming!

bzwyatt said:
What the heck is rayon vert? I knew somebody would do a 'well actually' on this one.

I gave him the beer to enjoy, so if he didn't want head on it, whatever. I thought it looked kinda dumb, dipping his finger in beer. I like to get rid of head by sticking my lips in it and sucking beer through it. The head was great and is one characteristic of this beer that is beautiful and delicious. I thought about telling him the head can be really enjoyable, but couldn't think of a way to do it without sounding like I was correcting him. He said the beer was great, so it was all good.

Wasn't intending it to be a well actually. I just thought you might have thought your friend was the only weirdo on earth who just dreamed up the idea of rubbing his nose then sticking it beer. I am also one of those weirdos occasionally. I enjoy a nice head on beer like I mentioned above, I also take pride in the fact that I am able to pour a home brew of my own and it is even able to hold and get a nice head. As well as you should be and are. That is a good quality in any beer.

Rayon vert is a beer from green flash that is known for being very difficult to get your 12ozs into a glass on one pour. The head on that one IMHO is just obnoxious.

Well, maybe he just didn't like the idea of you giving him... no, I'm not gonna say it. :D

Cool. Green Flash is nice, I like Palate Wrecker.

Have you tried their Green Bullet triple IPA? Amazing!

Here's something funny I had said to me this last weekend but others have heard it before. I was buying a four pack of Widmer Nelson Imperial IPA (about $9) and the clerk told me that I could get a twelve pack of some good, American beer for that same price. I live about 45 minutes north of where Widmer is brewed. The clerk was a younger kid, probably 21 or 22 so I just nodded and said that this beer is worth the extra money.

Have you tried their Green Bullet triple IPA? Amazing!

Here's something funny I had said to me this last weekend but others have heard it before. I was buying a four pack of Widmer Nelson Imperial IPA (about $9) and the clerk told me that I could get a twelve pack of some good, American beer for that same price. I live about 45 minutes north of where Widmer is brewed. The clerk was a younger kid, probably 21 or 22 so I just nodded and said that this beer is worth the extra money.

Isn't Widmer owned by AnBev? Not that there's anything wrong with that, just you could have told him it was Bud Gold Premium Amazing.

Sorry for the lousy picture.

DSCF0050.jpg

The funniest thing I've heard about beer, has probably been tossed around here more than once, but here goes:

Domestic beer is like having sex in a canoe... IT'S EFFIN' CLOSE TO WATER!

lol...har har har ...hee hee....

Oh cool. I brewed a belgian blond and it had a lot of head too, consistent with what you just said.

there is a montclair in socal. I thought you were from there for a second.

Wonder where that name comes from...

A supervisor at work: Riddle me this...why is it we can put liquor on the shelf that's 100 proof but we not a beer over 10%?

Me: There are lots of beers over 10%. You can find barleywines, imperial IPA's, Imperial Stouts over 10%

Him: Yea well I've seen a microbrew at like 9%. Barleywine is beer?...

I just walked away

A supervisor at work: Riddle me this...why is it we can put liquor on the shelf that's 100 proof but we not a beer over 10%?

Me: There are lots of beers over 10%. You can find barleywines, imperial IPA's, Imperial Stouts over 10%

I just walked away

So why can't you put a >10% beer on the shelf? DON'T LEAVE ME HANGING! :mad:

I just walked away

I don't know...I can't totally fault someone who isn't well-versed in craft beer styles for not knowing barleywine is a beer. It does have "wine" in the name, after all.

Some states also do limit the ABV of beers that can be sold in stores. I know Ohio just upped theirs within the last couple years.

It seems more like an incomplete sentence than an incorrect sentence.

Post fermentation dryhopping allows the 10% ABV...
ale to be easy drinking.
ale to balance aroma and taste.
etc.

It seems more like an incomplete sentence than an incorrect sentence.

Post fermentation dryhopping allows the 10% ABV...
ale to be easy drinking.
ale to balance aroma and taste.
etc.
It was taken out of context. Here's the complete sentence.

"Post-fermentation dry hopping allows the 10% ABV monstrosity to gently coax the citrus rind and grapefruit aroma to join the 100 IBUs already present. "

Back