Video Games

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, I love the GTA games. I spent many, many hours playing GTA IV (personally I thought it kicked ass.) GTA V has me drooling but my video game habit has taken a major hit over the last couple years as I've amped up my running. Gah, there's not enough hours in the day!

Man, I love the GTA games. I spent many, many hours playing GTA IV (personally I thought it kicked ass.) GTA V has me drooling but my video game habit has taken a major hit over the last couple years as I've amped up my running. Gah, there's not enough hours in the day!

I, for one, have never been much of a GTA fan. Thought the original was monotonous. "Drive over there, get that, drive over here, get this,...."

Thought I'd give GTA IV a try and see if it had matured into something as epic as the hype. I've got a couple hours on it over 3 or 4 days of playtime.

Drive over there, pick up a bike. Drive over here, pick up a girl. Meh.

Just not convinced GTA V brings anything new to the series. But, I am curious because of the hype.

I, for one, have never been much of a GTA fan. Thought the original was monotonous. "Drive over there, get that, drive over here, get this,...."

Thought I'd give GTA IV a try and see if it had matured into something as epic as the hype. I've got a couple hours on it over 3 or 4 days of playtime.

Drive over there, pick up a bike. Drive over here, pick up a girl. Meh.

Just not convinced GTA V brings anything new to the series. But, I am curious because of the hype.

I'm in the same boat with you..

I've always felt the detail wasn't there, the driving physics are terrible among other things.

I watched a few hours of play this morning.. graphic detail was nice and the comments were numerous on how much more refined the driving was..

My guess is that if the other GTA games didn't do anything for you, this one won't either. They didn't reinvent the wheel with this game, only refined it.

It doesn't get much better for me than drunken League of Legends. I play weekly with a group. If anyone is interested in getting a game, feel free to ping me.

Summoner name: Shadowfyre

How does it compare to Red Dead Redemption?
In other words, aside from the driving mechanics does the gameplay lean more toward Red Dead or GTAIV?

What about gameplay comparisons to other successful open world games like Batman and Saints Row?

How does it compare to Red Dead Redemption?
In other words, aside from the driving mechanics does the gameplay lean more toward Red Dead or GTAIV?

What about gameplay comparisons to other successful open world games like Batman and Saints Row?

Its almost like a mixture of SR3 and GTA4..

The driving mechanics are MUCH better than GTA 4, but not as refined as SR3..

The color and texture (especially background detail) is much better than gta4..

It seems brighter and less of the grey/brown color scheme..

Hell, underwater there is a ocean floor texture with coral, rock, sand, etc..

Not really sure what you mean about the RDR/GTS.. they both play really similar..

My only real gripe at this point, the radio stations..

They just suck.. there is 1 rock station and it plays some real crap and a few good songs..

They just suck.. there is 1 rock station and it plays some real crap and a few good songs..

I was actually really surprised to find that you couldn't play your own music so long as it was on the HDD. I seem to recall the original GTA allowed that.

DrNecropolis said:

That's just the developers trying to make the game more realistic.

I was actually really surprised to find that you couldn't play your own music so long as it was on the HDD. I seem to recall the original GTA allowed that.

As far as I know that's only ever been on P versions (the first 2 games of the series originally being released on the PC and later ported to consoles. Like other PC games of the time (Half-Life comes immediately to mind), the games didn't support mp3 or other compressed codecs and instead require you to swap out the game CD for an audio CD. Naturally, things evolved, and I'm fairly certain that the last ones I played on the PC (Vice City and San Andreas) had a custom radio station that played audio files you placed in a certain folder.

Obviously, both methods aren't really possible for console games (except possibly the current generation), and again, I'm pretty sure this has been an ongoing feature only for the PC versions. San Andreas was really the only main console game to allow it, and that was only on the original Xbox, not the PS2 nor even the 360. GTA IV technically supported it, but it depended entirely on Amazon.com playlists using digital downloads exclusively purchased through their store, which really isn't at all the same IMO.

And the tl;dr version is thatdespite being about 10% through GTA V, I don't actually know if it's possible or not in this one. However, you're right that the original allowed it, but only on the PC (how could it even be possible on the premillenial systems - specifically the PSX/GBC?), Windows being the only platform where one could actually deem the custom playlist/radio station to be a traditional feature.

Yeah it does such but I really only listen to the stations for the humor, usually either what's already playing in the car I jacked, or switching to the talk radio station.

Yeah it does such but I really only listen to the stations for the humor, usually either what's already playing in the car I jacked, or switching to the talk radio station.

That's exactly what I do.. I keep it on the talk stations to listen to that crazy mess..

Medicinal Cocaine for everyone!!

San Andreas was really the only main console game to allow it, and that was only on the original Xbox, not the PS2 nor even the 360.

I don't have any 360 games that support playing music saved on you console on games; if there are a few I am not aware. Is this even a feature of the console?

But on the original Xbox, I had at least 3 games that supported this.
True Crime, San Andreas, DOA Volleyball, and I think at least one of the burnout games had this feature.

I don't have any 360 games that support playing music saved on you console on games; if there are a few I am not aware. Is this even a feature of the console?

But on the original Xbox, I had at least 3 games that supported this.
True Crime, San Andreas, DOA Volleyball, and I think at least one of the burnout games had this feature.

It may have been San Andreas I was thinking of. It was definitely on teh original XBox.

I am so tempted to buy GTA V, but maybe apart from a day or so, I know I'm not going to be able to play it for at least a month, maybe more. So, as much as I would like to go buy it, and get in a few hours playing on Saturday...I think I will just wait it out until I actually have more free time.

In the meantime, I am installing the copy of Bully that I purchased in the last steam sale, and haven't gotten to yet.

I am a crazy fan of video games, my most favorite games are battlefield, modern warfare 3, GTA IV.. but now thinking to play GTA V, guys who played that please tell me your views about the game.

The X series sandbox space games are on sale this week for steam via Humble Bundle. I tried reunion a few years ago and had a hard time getting into it due to difficultly level; maybe it is time to give it another shot.
https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

I really wish they'd do an X-series MMO. I need a good new space combat MMO. I miss the glory days of Jumpgate!

I picked the bundle up and have been enjoying it so far. The expansion packs really made the game more accessible to new comers and they even have Xbox controller support now.
They are releasing a actual sequel in November that will have a new game engine; I may have to pick it up instead of spending my money on a new console.

I am a crazy fan of video games, my most favorite games are battlefield, modern warfare 3, GTA IV.. but now thinking to play GTA V, guys who played that please tell me your views about the game.

I loved GTA 3, VC and SA but I didn't care for GTA 4. GTA V is for me a total masterpiece in storytelling, graphics and overall feel. It does leave me kind of cold and lacking something every now and then but that is maybe because I play it too damn much. Overall I loved it and would give it 95/100. Also
Trevor is one of the greatest characters in video game history, I hate him yet I love him!

So been Gta 5 for awhile now. Really enjoy both the story mode and online. I think they did a very good job on both.

My Xbox 360 died this morning while I was playing another game, so I went out and bought the GTA V PS3 bundle today. So far the game has been fantastic. Trevor is hilarious, but really overall the writing and acting for all the characters has been excellent. Franklin and Michael have their moments as well, and I sort of wish there were more missions with Lamar because he and Franklin have some amusing conversations.

There's approximately zero next-gen games available for PS4 at launch, and it costs a crapton. Meanwhile, I can get a PS3 for half the price and play all the fantastic games that came out for it which I have never played.

Another good argument in favor for upgrading my PC...
This year most of the AAA titles will be made for the current gen systems and ported over to the next gen system.
The new systems will not have a distinct advantage until holiday season next year. They will still make bucket loads of money from early adopters.
Cross fingers for no "red rings of death" on the early systems.

Downloading new COD for PC now.

Thew my $600+ launch ps3 in the garbage this week (it had bad solder on the motherboard). My sixaxis controllers move the characters around on their own. And now with ps4 they want me to buy online monthly subscription? N F'in way! Gonna use my 5 year old pc and 7 year old controller to play the only game I probably would buy for ps4 anyways.

Latest posts

Back