Chest Freezer Specs and Layouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting closer.

Had to go out of town for the last two days to visit family. Was going to install a digital TV antenna and a WiFi extender. Amazon dropped the ball on the shipment, the antenna came DoA, when I went to install the WiFi extender the only PC in the house was broken, etc. Pretty much wasted 2 days.

Finished cleaning up the DWG files this morning. Everything nice and orderly now. Been trying to get to the flat file, but UPS delivered my Rocksmith 2014 Edition pre-order earlier this morning than I expected. Only put a couple hours into it, but I gotta say, they did one hell of a number with this game. Many times better than the original.

Flat file... flat file... gotta work on the flat file. *nose to grindstone*

Flat file is done! It took so long because some of the information on the new sheet didn't exist on the old sheet. I either had to go back to the drawings and read them, or modify them to get additional info.

Turns out, somewhere down the road I lost 3 drawings. Probably when chkdsk ate the file and Carbonite didn't have a recent copy. As a result, I've had to re-draw 3 models from scratch.

Already re-drew one. Have the other two laid out for later this afternoon. Will also draw up the new models I've been given dimensions for.

ResumeMan - In short, YES...This is what I did for about the first month that I had this freezer. Below is a thread that talks all about setting the coarse screw and I believe I posted info about this freezer in that thread.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/gu...mostat-32f-eliminate-external-control-249612/

But, I have since added the STC-1000 purchased for $17.99 from Amazon and here is the reason: My beer was staying around the upper 30's, no problem. But, being paranoid as to not want to freeze my beer, I had a 32 oz cup of water in the freezer to see how it would do. Basically, the air in the freezer varied from 25-50, and right when the freezer kicked off (air temp around 25), the top 1/8 inch of that cup of water was frozen. Then, by the time it kicked back on, the ice was thawed and the temp of that water was around 38.

I probably had nothing to worry about, but I liked the idea of having an external temp indicator so I wouldn't have to keep opening the keezer, and for $17.99, I couldn't resist. I mounted the temp controller to the right of the compressor vent on the right of the freezer and tapped into the power cord at that spot. I then ran the temp sensor wire into the rear of my collar and taped to a 40 oz beer bottle filled with water (sensor under bubble wrap which is taped around bottle).

Just a heads up... sounds like you need a recirc fan.

Actually, since this, I have indeed added a recirc fan wired to a timer which cycles it 30 minutes on, 30 minutes off...works great!

My time is rapidly coming to a draw to finish this revamp before I'm back at work. As such, I dedicated the last 6-7 hours working on this.

I still need to download stock photos (30 mins), duplicate the merge template for each model (30 mins), re-render every image (1 hr), convert and crop (1-2 hrs), populate all the merge templates with images (1-2 hrs), upload/host and post (2 hrs).

Looks like the rest of my day. Expect big changes today, though!

Kenmore 8.8 cu ft 16922

Download this specification sheet and layout as a high-resolution printable PDF at Dropbox.

SdvoiKc.png

Frigidaire 8.8 cu ft FFCH09M5MW

Duplicate model of [post=4731060]Frigidaire 7.2 cu ft LFFC09M5HW[/post].

Differences:
  1. Models beginning with "L" are Lowe's-exclusive model numbers to prevent price comparisons / matching.

Frigidaire 14.8 cu ft GLFC1526FW

Duplicate model of [post=4731069]Frigidaire 14.8 cu ft LFFN15M5HW[/post].

Differences:
  1. Models beginning with "L" are Lowe's-exclusive model numbers to prevent price comparisons / matching.
  2. This model does not come with basket rails (which have to be removed anyway).

All drawings have been updated. They should all be in much higher definition now, with much less pixelation. The spec sheets now have all of the additional columns that I promised earlier for even faster selection.

Additionally, each model now has a downloadable high-resolution PDF linked. This should make it much easier to take my specification sheets and layouts to the store with you when you go shopping.

There are also four new models posted:

Magic Chef 7.0 cu ft HMCF7W
Kenmore 8.8 cu ft 16922
Danby 10.2 cu ft DCFM289WDD
Frigidaire 24.6 cu ft FGCH25M8LW

Thaddius:

So first of all, thanks for all your hard work. This is an incredible resource. I've been shopping for a freezer recently, and my only complaint so far is that there were too many freezers you hadn't done yet :p

I have a suggestion for an additional data point that you might want to gather.

From what I have seen in my shopping, the depth (front-to-back) dimension that is reported is the dimension from the front of the unit to the back of the hinges. This is an important dimension of course, both to see what size door you need to get the thing through and to see how far it will stick out.

But for some other purposes, including building any sort of frame for the thing, the depth of the actual freezer unit is also important.

An example: I just window-shopped for (and eventually bought for delivery this coming Weds) the Maytag 14.8cf MQC1552TEW. The depth listed is 29-3/8. In the store I measured the depth of the actual component about 27" (I'll provide a more specific measurement when it arrives). This would be a good thing to have in the specs. Obviously, that would be data that'd need to be gathered but to the extent that it's available I think it would be useful.

frigidaire affc1526dw2 anybody have any background info on this model. I'm sure it's the same as the other 14.8 cubic ft ones. Just curious as I'm thinking about buying one of Craigslist. Should I pull the trigger for $150?

frigidaire affc1526dw2 anybody have any background info on this model. I'm sure it's the same as the other 14.8 cubic ft ones. Just curious as I'm thinking about buying one of Craigslist. Should I pull the trigger for $150?

Hmmm. Doesn't ring a bell.

That model hasn't been sold in recent years as far as I can tell. I wouldn't pay $150 for a several-year-old freezer, but that's just me.

Can't shed too much light on dimensions just by cubic footage rating. Some are deeper, some are longer, some are taller. Consumer Reports even measures cubic footage and compares to the sticker number, and almost always finds them smaller than advertised by some amount or another.

Thaddius:

So first of all, thanks for all your hard work. This is an incredible resource. I've been shopping for a freezer recently, and my only complaint so far is that there were too many freezers you hadn't done yet :p

I have a suggestion for an additional data point that you might want to gather.

From what I have seen in my shopping, the depth (front-to-back) dimension that is reported is the dimension from the front of the unit to the back of the hinges. This is an important dimension of course, both to see what size door you need to get the thing through and to see how far it will stick out.

But for some other purposes, including building any sort of frame for the thing, the depth of the actual freezer unit is also important.

An example: I just window-shopped for (and eventually bought for delivery this coming Weds) the Maytag 14.8cf MQC1552TEW. The depth listed is 29-3/8. In the store I measured the depth of the actual component about 27" (I'll provide a more specific measurement when it arrives). This would be a good thing to have in the specs. Obviously, that would be data that'd need to be gathered but to the extent that it's available I think it would be useful.

Probably would, but...

Thing is, every model I've looked at had about the same depth of hinges. From 5 cu ft thru 20 cu ft.

hi all, I was wondering if anyone would know if this freezer is the same as this one?

thanks in advance...

Pretty darn good chance that they're the same. Retailers like to offer unique model numbers so they don't have to price match and it discourages easy price comparisons online.

Look at the exterior dimensions. They're within 1/4" on all sides.

This one probably has some stupid additional feature, like basket rails, or a lighted lid, or a keyed lid lock, or a red power LED instead of a green one.

I see you're in Canada, so it's possible that the name badge will just be in French ("Le Danby") or the capacity will be rated in Quebec Pizzas ("Pop Tart with the ketchup. She's good.")

thadius856 said:
Hmmm. Doesn't ring a bell.

That model hasn't been sold in recent years as far as I can tell. I wouldn't pay $150 for it.

Can't shed too much light on dimensions just by cubic footage rating. Some are deeper, some are longer, some are taller. Consumer Reports even measures cubic footage and compares to the sticker number, and almost always finds them smaller than advertised by some amount or another.

The only info I've been able to gather is that it was manufactured in 2005(Craigslist pic) and that a google search provides a service manual via Sears.

The only info I've been able to gather is that it was manufactured in 2005(Craigslist pic) and that a google search provides a service manual via Sears.

Pass then. An 8-year-old chest freezer is likely on its last legs if it was abused (placed in a garaged, ran with dirty coils, etc). They don't make 30-50 year freezers like they used to.

I'd probably offer $50 for it, if I were you. And then I'd use it as a fermentation chamber only. But that's just me.

Pass then. An 8-year-old chest freezer is likely on its last legs if it was abused (placed in a garaged, ran with dirty coils, etc). They don't make 30-50 year freezers like they used to.

I'd probably offer $50 for it, if I were you. And then I'd use it as a fermentation chamber only. But that's just me.

How can you tell? I picked up a 2005 14cf for $60 over the summer and it seems to work really well. Coils seem to be hidden behind the walls of the freezer.

Thanks to thadius856 for this awesome resource.
Thanks to the mod's for recognizing this as a Sticky thread.

My 17 year old GE 10cf chest freezer has been showing all the classic signs of impending demise. I'm hoping to nurse it through Turkey Day, but have already rescheduled my brewing endeavors to free up one of my brewery's fridges and have it on cold-standby in case I have to move all six kegs out of the keezer - and live with a picnic tap for a couple of days.

GE no longer makes the 10cf model, so I went shopping on line and built a spreadsheet to see what's going to replace this old girl. I've settled on the 12.9cf Frigidaire FFCH13M2MW. The specs appears to match up with the Frigidaire LFCH13M2MW, but if possible I'll confirm that with a floor model. Right now Best Buy has the best all up price delivered and the old freezer hauled off at $389 + sales tax.

Anyway, I downloaded and printed out the pdf for the LFCH13M2MW and noticed there's a typo in the exterior dimensions. The width should be 42.75", not 32.75". Otherwise the rest of the dimensional data looks spot on...

Cheers - and thanks again for the effort! :)

Working on my Magic Chef HMCF7W. It's 7.0 cubic feet.

I made some measurements today, and probably tomorrow I'll dry fit some kegs (I hope 6 will fit because my collar is designed for 6 - CO2 outside).

Here's the basics:
Exterior -
36 7/8" wide
21 5/8" deep
32 3/8" high (including lid)
30 3/8" high (excluding lid)

Interior -
31" wide
15 5/8" deep
26" high

Hump (right side hump) -
9 1/2" wide
8 13/16" high

Messed with the coarse temperature adjustment set screw, and could only get it to ~30°F at the hottest. Using an STC-1000 instead.

I'll update more as I test things and hopefully complete my keezer build.

The Magic Chef HMCF7W can fit six ball locks! (phew!)

The last one slightly overhangs off the hump, so I'll probably cut a piece of wood to act as a little platform for it.

Any updates on your build?!? I just picked this one up at HD tonight! :D
Also, I noticed that it says 7.0 cu ft here and mine says 6.8 cu ft. The model numbers match, but mine has a one on the end. Is the one listed a different model?

Any updates on your build?!? I just picked this one up at HD tonight! :D
Also, I noticed that it says 7.0 cu ft here and mine says 6.8 cu ft. The model numbers match, but mine has a one on the end. Is the one listed a different model?

Compare the measurements.

It might be a minor revision, like to swap the model of compressor or such. Typically they don't change the measurements meaningfully.

Thanks for all the hard work! I'll let you know what I pick up today for a fermentor and how it measures out.

From PM (posted here for additional input):

doublebogey10 said:
Not sure if best to ask this here or on main thread. If better on main thread or new thread, let me know.

This model has cord attached to the lid. There is not much play on the cord so I'm not sure how it's going to reach with a collar once I removed the hinges.

The cord is screwed down on the bottom frame (pic 2) so I'm wondering if I unscrew that if that gives it enough room to reach. But I also don't know if there is a specific reason why its screwed down there so a bit apprehensive on messing with it.

Have you seen this issue before? Any suggested workarounds?

Looks like power to operate a light in the lid.

Doesn't look terribly complex of a situation. From what I can tell in the pictures, that's a standard 3-wire appliance cord. Three options here:

1) You can probably disconnect the cord entirely and just lose the light. If it has any feature like shut off the motor when the door is open (very doubtful) that would be lost as well.

2) You can cut the appliance cord anywhere along its length and splice a length of additional cord. This would require you to strip the sheathing, strip each wire, nut them together, and then secure the splices in two junction boxes or similar.

3) Unlatch the harness. If it can be unclipped and the wires replaced, then you could do the same as above but with one less junction point.

Bigger pictures would help, particularly where the cord enters the lid and where the cord splices into the wiring harness by the compressor.

My dying 10 footer has that same wiring. There is a receptacle in the lid for a three prong plug, which has a pair of screws holding it tight when installed. The other end goes through a similar strain relief, it's there to keep the connections from opening up in case you snag that cable while moving the freezer.

If you don't need the interior light, just remove the cable plug from the lid receptacle and stash it in the compressor compartment (in case you change your mind later). No need to cut it free.

Otoh, if you want to maintain the light (I like having it myself) you could remove the wire from the strain relief and re-dress the wire, it looks like you can gain enough for a x6 collar at least. Use a tie-wrap on a bit of it to a frame member and don't race the freezer around the house and you should be fine. If it doesn't quite reach with the collar it should be trivial to cut and splice in extra wire at the compressor end...

Cheers!

Compare the measurements.

It might be a minor revision, like to swap the model of compressor or such. Typically they don't change the measurements meaningfully.

Measurements are an exact match! I was a little worried when mine said 6.8 cu ft. I was thinking I won't be able to get six in it. Thanks!! I just ordered 4 cornys from keg connection and I'll be ordering my perlicks, lines, and what not once the money rolls back in a lil bit...the SWMBO isn't too happy I bought the chest freezer then spent a ton of money on 4 kegs two days later. Lol. Hopefully I'll be able to buy the rest soon to start my build :ban:

Measurements are an exact match! I was a little worried when mine said 6.8 cu ft. I was thinking I won't be able to get six in it. Thanks!! I just ordered 4 cornys from keg connection and I'll be ordering my perlicks, lines, and what not once the money rolls back in a lil bit...the SWMBO isn't too happy I bought the chest freezer then spent a ton of money on 4 kegs two days later. Lol. Hopefully I'll be able to buy the rest soon to start my build :ban:

Trust me, I know the feeling.

I ordered a dozen kegs off eBay. Had it all planned out for them to arrive on my day off while the wife was working.

A snowstorm in Denver delayed my kegs a day. They were left on the porch by UPS. I pulled up to the house after work just as the wife was getting out of her car with a "DAFUQ?!?" look on her face. Three giant boxes (four kegs each, laying on their sides), and the UPS driver had placed the doormat on top of the 4' tall pile as a joke.

Worst part... this was my second dozen.

Trust me, I know the feeling.

I ordered a dozen kegs off eBay. Had it all planned out for them to arrive on my day off while the wife was working.

A snowstorm in Denver delayed my kegs a day. They were left on the porch by UPS. I pulled up to the house after work just as the wife was getting out of her car with a "DAFUQ?!?" look on her face. Three giant boxes (four kegs each, laying on their sides), and the UPS driver had placed the doormat on top of the 4' tall pile as a joke.

Worst part... this was my second dozen.

Yours is MUCH worse than my story. Lol. I bet you had some explaining to do. I'm sure it will get to that point for me eventually. Ive only been brewing for a year now. I still don't think my wife understands what she's getting into either. She thinks this is just a "little hobby"...just wait till we buy a house and move out of our apartment ;) my fully automated herms build will commence! :rockin:

Yours is MUCH worse than my story. Lol. I bet you had some explaining to do. I'm sure it will get to that point for me eventually. Ive only been brewing for a year now. I still don't think my wife understands what she's getting into either. She thinks this is just a "little hobby"...just wait till we buy a house and move out of our apartment ;) my fully automated herms build will commence! :rockin:

Oh, I hear you. I rationalize it two ways to her:

1. Pretty much everything I buy is stainless or glass. If I want to get out of this hobby, I can sell everything for a little less than I paid (glass) or even maybe make a small profit (corny kegs). Either way, I can recoup at least most of my investment.

2. You're right. I need a new hobby. Perhaps bass fishing instead? Too bad I don't know anybody with a sick boat.......

Both work pretty well.

Back