Oatmeal Stout Dwarven Warrior Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mysticmead

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP001
Yeast Starter
1l
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
34 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
roasty, toasty, dark chocolate, mocha, nutty, creamy
I entered this in the 2011 Peach State Brew Off and took 2nd in Oatmeal Stouts. I have since altered the recipe to include an additional pound of oatmeal since the judges suggested more oatmeal for more of a nutty flavor. The original recipe is as follows.

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 34.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 31.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (412.0 SRM)
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) (toasted at 350F for 20 minutes or until golden brown)
1 lbs Oats, Malted (1.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Caraaroma (130.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.40 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.40 %] (30 min)
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

I used a 1000ml starter and had bubbles in the airlock within 3 hours and vigorous fermentation with in 8 hours

Brewed this up yesterday. After a phase of lighter beers, I've wandered back onto the dark side and had been wanting to brew a stout. The name drew me in. Mashed at 152 for an hour. Only as the wort was coming to to a boil did I notice that you mashed a little higher for 90 minutes.
Brewed outside which was in the 40s, mash temp dropped about 10 degrees, but I wound up getting a starting gravity of 1.061. Used Nottingham yeast instead of wlp001. I did add the additional pound of toasted oats (2# total)

Can't wait to try this! Right before the boil the kettle looked like a giant macciato. Thanks for the recipe!

Brewed this up yesterday. After a phase of lighter beers, I've wandered back onto the dark side and had been wanting to brew a stout. The name drew me in. Mashed at 152 for an hour. Only as the wort was coming to to a boil did I notice that you mashed a little higher for 90 minutes.
Brewed outside which was in the 40s, mash temp dropped about 10 degrees, but I wound up getting a starting gravity of 1.061. Used Nottingham yeast instead of wlp001. I did add the additional pound of toasted oats (2# total)

Can't wait to try this! Right before the boil the kettle looked like a giant macciato. Thanks for the recipe!

don't worry about being lower in mash temps.. you're still going to have a kick a$$ stout. I just brewed this one again yesterday. dropped the 2 row to 8lbs, boosted the oats to 2lbs... used US-05. This stout is going to be my starter for an Imperial Stout that should weigh in around 1.098-1.100... tis the season!!! let me know how this turns out for you!

So I was planning on bottling this and sharing with family and friends. Laziness and not finding the time to finish cleaning the bottles paid off though. Kegged it instead and am bringing it to a St. Patrick's Day party. Tasted a small bit of it while transferring to the keg, and at basement temp and flat it was really tasty. Looking forward to it. Will report back with feedback I get.

Amazing was a word thrown around more than once. After waking up this morning, checked it and there might be 3 pints left in the keg, so people weren't just being polite.
Will definitely be making another batch of this later in the year to have for the winter.

Amazing was a word thrown around more than once. After waking up this morning, checked it and there might be 3 pints left in the keg, so people weren't just being polite.
Will definitely be making another batch of this later in the year to have for the winter.

yeah.. that word seems to follow this beer. it has turned quite a few Guinness drinkers into FORMER Guinness drinkers. It's great in the fall and winter but even in the spring and summer it goes great with a nice grilled steak.

Mysticmead said:
I entered this in the 2011 Peach State Brew Off and took 2nd in Oatmeal Stouts. I have since altered the recipe to include an additional pound of oatmeal since the judges suggested more oatmeal for more of a nutty flavor. The original recipe is as follows.

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 34.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 31.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (412.0 SRM)
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) (toasted at 350F for 20 minutes or until golden brown)
1 lbs Oats, Malted (1.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Caraaroma (130.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.40 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.40 %] (30 min)
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

I used a 1000ml starter and had bubbles in the airlock within 3 hours and vigorous fermentation with in 8 hours

You said you modified it to add another pound of oats. Does the adding include a total of 2 pounds or 3 pounds
for 5 gal?

You said you modified it to add another pound of oats. Does the adding include a total of 2 pounds or 3 pounds
for 5 gal?

what I did to modify it was to replace the oat malt with flaked oats. While the beer was still really good, I thought it tasted better to me as in the original recipe.

here ya go... a 4oz taster of dwarven warrior... I'm still working sooooo that's about the best I can do

2013-06-27 16.51.57.jpg

Mysticmead said:
here ya go... a 4oz taster of dwarven warrior... I'm still working sooooo that's about the best I can do

Looks great. Is the head on it really that white? If so that's awesome

Decided to give this one a go too. Just about to mash it. Slightly modify grain bill though, subbing Crystal 60L for the Cararoma (which I could not find).

So what temps and times did you mash at? This is my first all grain, so I'm not super fluent, I am wanting to brew this sometime this week. I see it was pointed out that you mashed "A little higher for 90 minutes." I am using a 10 gallon igloo cooler and doing a 5 gallon batch. What would you suggest?

I am thinking about splitting this into 3 gallons regular and 2 gallons chocolate by splitting the wort at the end of the boil and adding 3.5ozs Hersheys Cocao powder to make the chocolate stout version. Any thoughts on this?

So what temps and times did you mash at? This is my first all grain, so I'm not super fluent, I am wanting to brew this sometime this week. I see it was pointed out that you mashed "A little higher for 90 minutes." I am using a 10 gallon igloo cooler and doing a 5 gallon batch. What would you suggest?

I am thinking about splitting this into 3 gallons regular and 2 gallons chocolate by splitting the wort at the end of the boil and adding 3.5ozs Hersheys Cocao powder to make the chocolate stout version. Any thoughts on this?

for a nice full bodied stout mashing at 154 is what you want. As far as splitting it. try it as designed first time around. It's your first All Grain, trying to complicate things by splitting won't show you any flaws that you need to correct. Besides it will have a serious dark chocolate flavor as it is :)

I have a couple of questions about some tweaks to the recipe.

What do you think about using Marris Otter for the base malt?

Have you ever used the Dark Chocolate Malt and what are your thoughts on subbing that in for regular Chocolate Malt? Seems like from what I have seen that Dark Chocolate gives more chocolate and less coffee flavor.

I have a couple of questions about some tweaks to the recipe.

What do you think about using Marris Otter for the base malt?

Have you ever used the Dark Chocolate Malt and what are your thoughts on subbing that in for regular Chocolate Malt? Seems like from what I have seen that Dark Chocolate gives more chocolate and less coffee flavor.

Personally, I would save the Marris for a beer where you'll actually taste it. With this stout you'll taste the roasted malt flavor from the chocolate malt over anything else.

Dark Chocolate malt. The Chocolate malt I use most of the time is from Brewmasters Warehouse.. Crisp Chocolate is listed as 415SRM... that's pretty dark. I've used the Organic Chocolate before as well, that was 350SRM.

I brewed this about a month and a half ago, fermented for 2 weeks, secondary for about 3 weeks, bottle aged for about 3 weeks. Took a few bottles to a friends house and everyone loved it. Got everything for "Thats awesome, you brewed this?" To "this is probably the best beer I have ever had." So I took a few to work for the beer lovers and again got rave reviews, "best homebrew I have every had, and better than most storebought beer" actually had a guy who last weekend told me all the homebrew he has ever had tasted like crap, tell me after trying mine, I could bring him more of that yummy beer any time I wanted. I did drop the bittering hops 3/4 oz. But all other was the same, I am probably gonna rebrew it next weekend. If this took 3rd, what took first?

I brewed this about a month and a half ago, fermented for 2 weeks, secondary for about 3 weeks, bottle aged for about 3 weeks. Took a few bottles to a friends house and everyone loved it. Got everything for "Thats awesome, you brewed this?" To "this is probably the best beer I have ever had." So I took a few to work for the beer lovers and again got rave reviews, "best homebrew I have every had, and better than most storebought beer" actually had a guy who last weekend told me all the homebrew he has ever had tasted like crap, tell me after trying mine, I could bring him more of that yummy beer any time I wanted. I did drop the bittering hops 3/4 oz. But all other was the same, I am probably gonna rebrew it next weekend. If this took 3rd, what took first?

Glad ya like it! it didn't take 3rd...it took 2nd.... but I still think this is one of the best Stouts I've brewed. I get a lot of the same comments you got. Some of those come from hardcore stout guys too.

Also, I called in my ingredient order to brewmasters warehouse and the crushed everything and put it all into one bag, so I used 2 pounds of oats unstead of one regular and one toasted. I picked up a new batch and everything is in its own bag, so I am wondering do I keep the same recipe I just had sucess with? Or go the toasted route?

Also, I called in my ingredient order to brewmasters warehouse and the crushed everything and put it all into one bag, so I used 2 pounds of oats unstead of one regular and one toasted. I picked up a new batch and everything is in its own bag, so I am wondering do I keep the same recipe I just had sucess with? Or go the toasted route?

I'd say toast it.. just so you can see the difference

What would you say will be the overall taste difference? Nuttier? More of a coffee finish? And what would you suggest for a better/thicker mouthfeel, and better head retention?

What would you say will be the overall taste difference? Nuttier? More of a coffee finish? And what would you suggest for a better/thicker mouthfeel, and better head retention?

toasting will make it nuttier. to get more mouthfeel mash at a higher temp (154 will give a full bodied beer). The last version I made I used 2lbs of flaked oats. I toasted 1lb. I also used 1lb of malted oats. I mashed at 154 for 90 minutes and the resulting beer was a chewy almost silky beer. As far as head retention.... 2lbs of oats will produce a long last thick head

Hey Mysticmead, few questions before I do this next week.

Im just trying to figure out your main grains bill....I think it is 1lb flaked oats, 1lb toasted flaked oats and 1lb malted oats and 8lbs of 2-row is that right?? How did your latest version turn out compared to the others, was there any difference with the yeast change too?

Cheers, Ayup!

Hey Mysticmead, few questions before I do this next week.

Im just trying to figure out your main grains bill....I think it is 1lb flaked oats, 1lb toasted flaked oats and 1lb malted oats and 8lbs of 2-row is that right?? How did your latest version turn out compared to the others, was there any difference with the yeast change too?

Cheers, Ayup!

yep... that's it... 1lb flaked, 1lb toasted flaked, 1lb malted..8lbs 2row.. the latest version had that silky chewy mouth feel I was looking for. The yeast is a neutral/clean yeast so no change from that. Brew it up and you'll have a perfect stout for the winter

Sweet! This has moved to the top of my "on deck" list. Thanks. I will definatley follow up.

Ayup

Mysticmead said:
yep... that's it... 1lb flaked, 1lb toasted flaked, 1lb malted..8lbs 2row.. the latest version had that silky chewy mouth feel I was looking for. The yeast is a neutral/clean yeast so no change from that. Brew it up and you'll have a perfect stout for the winter

Just a thought mystic, would raspberries go well with this or blackberries? I have a bunch left from summer and was thinking I could add one or the other to a gallon or two of this...thoughts?

Cheers.

This sounds delicious! I am going to brew this up this weekend, Altho it appears that my LHBS does not have malted oats, is there a decent sub for this?

Also, I plan on bottling this once it has finished fermenting, how much sugar would you recommend i add when the time comes?

Thanks for the help.

This sounds delicious! I am going to brew this up this weekend, Altho it appears that my LHBS does not have malted oats, is there a decent sub for this?

Also, I plan on bottling this once it has finished fermenting, how much sugar would you recommend i add when the time comes?

Thanks for the help.

you can sub it for 2row or even a split of 2row and additional flaked oats.

for bottling, I'd go with 4-4.5oz of corn sugar

This looks good and I've been looking for a quick turn around stout to have through winter. I would brew around Christmas and would like to have it for late Jan and for as much of Feb as it lasts. So, a couple questions.

1. The OP shows you fermented for 14 days, how long would you "bottle age" this for before drinking if you were to bottle it?
2. What do you think of using WLP002 for yeast. I have some "washed" in the fridge from a porter so I was thinking this would be well suited for it. The yeast is listed as getting 63% - 70% attenuation, but I got 74% on the porter it came from. I have learned that with 002 if you keep your temps in the 65 - 68 range from the initial ferment then bring it up to about 70 for a couple days the attenuation is much better and you don't get any off flavors from it.

This looks good and I've been looking for a quick turn around stout to have through winter. I would brew around Christmas and would like to have it for late Jan and for as much of Feb as it lasts. So, a couple questions.

1. The OP shows you fermented for 14 days, how long would you "bottle age" this for before drinking if you were to bottle it?
2. What do you think of using WLP002 for yeast. I have some "washed" in the fridge from a porter so I was thinking this would be well suited for it. The yeast is listed as getting 63% - 70% attenuation, but I got 74% on the porter it came from. I have learned that with 002 if you keep your temps in the 65 - 68 range from the initial ferment then bring it up to about 70 for a couple days the attenuation is much better and you don't get any off flavors from it.

if I were going to bottle age it.... 4 weeks. which is why I keg :)

I am in my 2nd batch of this, the first time I did 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary, and about a 3 week bottle age. And it came out amazing.

So, I brewed this 4 days ago. Had to make some on the spot modification at the LHBS. They recommended not toasting my own oats because they need 1-2 weeks to off gas so as to not impart potential off flavours. So I just doubled up on the flaked oats and added some victory malt for toasty/nutty flavour. They didnt have malted oats. I added roasted barley so I could call it an official stout :) and balanced that with some crystal 80. Oh and I added cocoa powder to the boil to be able to justify it being called a Chocolate Oatmeal Stout. All in all a different beer but hopefully it will be just as tasty. On day 3 of fermentation at 68°F and it has ripped through it and its slowing down already...

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7 lbs 12.8 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 65.0 %
1 lbs 12.8 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 2 15.0 %
14.4 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.5 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.2 %
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.2 %
8.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6 4.2 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.70 %] - Boil 60.0 Hop 7 19.7 IBUs
0.75 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.70 %] - Boil 30.0 Hop 8 11.4 IBUs
2.0 oz Cocoa powder (Boil 15.0 mins)