Speidel Plastic Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowellAvenueBrew

Reaction score
I've been trying out a Speidel plastic fermenter for the last few months and I'm really surprised at the results. I posted a full review on our website at: Speidel Plastic Fementer | Powell Avenue Brew Does anyone else use Speidels? Other plastic fermenters? Any best practices for sanitation and maintenance?

IMG_2152.jpg

I have the same fermenter plus a smaller 30 liter fermenter from the same brand, I also have some a regular bucket which I use as bottling bucket now. About the cleaning and sanitazion I use ChemiproOxi for cleaning (like Oxyclean) and for sanitizing I have use a lot of differente stuff. They look that they can last for long they well built and I love my fermenters. Same as with ony other plastic fermenter try not to scratch the insides when scrubbing and you should be fine. I use a soft sponge to get rid of any residue and works fine.

JKoravos said:
What could possibly be surprising about a plastic drum with a spigot in it?

I don't think anyone mentioned this fermenter like "surprising" For my it was a very good purchase because of the price the material quality the fact that is very easy to clean and the spigot its much better that everything else I ve seen around for that price

I have the same fermenter plus a smaller 30 liter fermenter from the same brand, I also have some a regular bucket which I use as bottling bucket now. About the cleaning and sanitazion I use ChemiproOxi for cleaning (like Oxyclean) and for sanitizing I have use a lot of differente stuff. They look that they can last for long they well built and I love my fermenters. Same as with ony other plastic fermenter try not to scratch the insides when scrubbing and you should be fine. I use a soft sponge to get rid of any residue and works fine.

I'm really happy about how well built it is. I also use a soft sponge as well to get it clean and everything comes right off. What do you use in the airlock? We've taken to using cheap vodka so that it stays sanitary.

PowellAvenueBrew said:
I'm really happy about how well built it is. I also use a soft sponge as well to get it clean and everything comes right off. What do you use in the airlock? We've taken to using cheap vodka so that it stays sanitary.
I use vodka too (I get it for free).

I just got 2 of the 30 litre size.
So far I am quite happy.
The big opening makes it really easy to scrub and the spigot is in the perfect position to only pull beer and leave behind the trub.
I just used hot water and a sponge to clean it and then a quick mild bleach solution to sterilize and it's good to go!

I just put miy Speidel to use today and the stopper for the airlock kept wanting to slide out after I would push it in. I ended up pushing the airlock clean through the opening. I wasn't quite sure what to do so I left it, should I be worried?

I am really interested in upgrading to the 60L. What is the exact size> I see on more beer's site they state approximate dimensions at 15.75" diam. Does this include the handles? I have 15.50" in my fermentation fridge and am wondering if this will fit. Thanks for help.

I am really interested in upgrading to the 60L. What is the exact size> I see on more beer's site they state approximate dimensions at 15.75" diam. Does this include the handles? I have 15.50" in my fermentation fridge and am wondering if this will fit. Thanks for help.

With handles it's 17" diam.

Updated... posted below in another thread...

The lid can still close and sit flush with the bucket with a portion of the gasket out of alignment, and brewers are none the wiser unless there isn't action from the airlock some time later.

From the time you push the gasket in with lid off, turn the lid over to be placed on the bucket any portion of the gasket can come out of its well, but the unit will still completely close flush. Has to be some product (keg lube?) to hold it in place while you seal it?

After 16 hours on a 2nd generation yeast for a double IPA, entire basement smelling like beer, visible krausen level, had to be an issue with gas escaping. Took off entire lid, looked to have a 1-2 inch portion crimped out of the well squished against the wall. I re-seated the gasket, sprayed with star san, re-attach belt and airlock activity within a few seconds.

I have one of the 7.9gal models and it is an excellent product. It is very well made and the top can either be completely capped or used with their stopper and fermentation airlock. The only problem I've had: I like to use stainless steel tea strainers for dry hopping. I have two of these jumbo models from Amazon that are 5.5" in diameter. They will hold an ounce of whole hops and even more pellets. This weekend, I used this fermenter as a secondary and found that the tea strainer won't fit! I had to use a hop bag instead.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FCMCMO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think anyone mentioned this fermenter like "surprising" For my it was a very good purchase because of the price the material quality the fact that is very easy to clean and the spigot its much better that everything else I ve seen around for that price

Its sad to see that they increased the price as much as they did. morebeer used to have them 40% less $ then the current prices.

Cleaning my Speidel - 30L Plastic Fermenter minus the airlock with the Mark II Keg Washer. Cleaned and rinsed.

Mark II.jpg

When you transfer with the spigot do you have to take the air lock off or unscrew the lid a bit?

When you transfer with the spigot do you have to take the air lock off or unscrew the lid a bit?

Yes, or you'll get a vacuum inside, which will eventually pull air in through the spigot and through the beer. A third option is to attach a second spigot onto the airlock port on the lid and connect a CO2 hose to it if you want to pressure transfer (the fermenter will take 3 psi OK) and/or keep air away from the beer.

Thanks for the info. The gas transfer sounds pretty easy. Has anyone put a thermowell in one of these? I was thinking a small hole with a grommet would do the trick. I also have a stopper with a hole for a thermowell; I could bore out the lid for it and have one less doodad to buy.

Thanks for the info. The gas transfer sounds pretty easy. Has anyone put a thermowell in one of these? I was thinking a small hole with a grommet would do the trick. I also have a stopper with a hole for a thermowell; I could bore out the lid for it and have one less doodad to buy.

I have the 60L Speidel and the Hood Thermowell for Threaded Neck Carboys from MoreBeer, and it fits in the same opening that the bung/airlock occupies. Disclaimer: I just bought it and haven't used it yet, so I can't comment on how tightly it seals. I wanted to explore an option that doesn't involve drilling into the fermenter.

Latest posts

Back