Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the smell of Captain Black but the taste is something to be desired.
Frog Morton and SPC Mississippi River for this guy.....(and this is where I grab my Poker and head to the porch).

I agree the taste can be a bit harsh, but I usually enjoy it with a nice Imperial or Bourbon Stout. the slight harshness fades away and the aroma shines through nicely.

Pipe smoker for over 18 years. Usually have 2-3 bowls per day. Like the straight English blends. My first pipe which I had for 17 years cracked earlier this year. Now I uses small semi-warden. About 10 inches. Favorite mixture is Presbyterian Mixture when I can get it. Closest decent store is 90 miles away.

I mostly enjoy a K&B Peterson Pipe. Looks like this:

pipe.jpg

Nice, cool smoke. The stem hole points up and rolls the smoke over the roof of your mouth. Also has a basin for saliva that makes a big difference.

180px-Peterson_cutaway.jpg

How do you smoke it when it's cut in half like that?!?! :D

I've always wanted to try a pipe. Especially one of the Gandalf pipes.:rockin:

6_gandalf_smokingpipe.jpg

Pipe smoker for over 18 years. Usually have 2-3 bowls per day. Like the straight English blends. My first pipe which I had for 17 years cracked earlier this year. Now I uses small semi-warden. About 10 inches. Favorite mixture is Presbyterian Mixture when I can get it. Closest decent store is 90 miles away.

I've been looking for a source of Presbyterian Mixture for a couple years. I used to smoke it almost exclusively before that. It's a nice smoke.

No, but your input was still very helpful as I know what kind of job I have done maintaining it. Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts. I am a bit disappointed that I haven't found a tobacco shop that sells loose blends by the ounce, so I have had to buy the stuff in tins. By the way, Ashton's Artisan's blend is a real treat!

Have you tried aging your tins? I've heard of putting them up in the top of a closet for 6 months to a year to improve them before opening. I haven't tried it, but am interested in hearing if anyone else has.

Was in Hawaii this past week. We just bought a townhouse there near the top of Makakilo. Lush and beautiful, clear blue skies with white puffy clouds, clean air (I'm not used to that living in one of the country's worst air quality counties) and nice cool winds all day long.

I was unpacking boxes and one had my pipe stuff in it. A jar of Virginia #1 had dumped out all over the box.. Box smelled great when I opened it! That was the only tobacco I brought and there was only an ounce if not quite two.

Said screw it, rounded it all up. Packed my favorite 1/4 bent briar and enjoyed a nice smoke in paradise.

Cheers!

Any tobacco product SHOULD be a lost art. I started smoking cigarettes then quit when they became too expensive. They raised the prices from $.35 to $.40 per pack. Best move I ever made!!

I tried cigars in the 90's but gave them up when I had the nasty taste that lasted for 2-3 days!

Any tobacco product SHOULD be a lost art.

I disagree. Fine tobacco and quality alcohol are great pleasures in moderation. Like many things (including alcohol), people tend to overdo it. I consider a good smoke a treat to enjoy every so often -- especially in conjunction with a good homebrew or decent scotch...

Any tobacco product SHOULD be a lost art. I started smoking cigarettes then quit when they became too expensive. They raised the prices from $.35 to $.40 per pack. Best move I ever made!!

I tried cigars in the 90's but gave them up when I had the nasty taste that lasted for 2-3 days!

Smoking is a personal choice. I smoked cigarettes for over 23 years. Started when I was 17 & smoked my last Dec 24th 2004. I quit cold turkey & it was 1 of the toughest things I ever did; no patch, no gum.

If somebody wants to smoke, I mostly don't care. I enjoy smelling the pipe & cigar tobacco smoke; cigarette smoke not so much. Pipe smoking and to some extent cigar smoking, is sort of a ritual that's a little different for everybody.

I smoked cigarettes all day, every day, nothing special about them. But a pipe, that took a little time. Time to slow down & relax a bit. I would usually smoke a pipe in the autumn & winter. Choosing the pipe & the tobacco according to your mood at the time, filling the bowl & tamping it just right. Firing the bowl just so, some use a special lighter, others use a splint. The 1st couple of draws go up in a puff, then the 1st inhaled draw & the exhale, enjoying the scent, the flavour, the feeling; savouring the moment. Sort of putting the world on hold for a few minutes & just enjoying life.

Sorry, didn't mean to ramble. I do miss smoking sometimes tho. I think smoking should be permitted in pubs/bars & outside, as long as it's not a problem, who am I to tell somebody not to smoke in a bar or on the sidewalk?
Just my 2 cents worth.
Regards, GF.

But Gandalf laughed, and replied: 'You would not wonder, if you used this herb yourself. You might find that smoke blown out cleared your mind of shadows within. Anyway, it gives patience, to listen to error without anger. But it is not one of my toys. It is an art of the Little People away in the West: merry and worthy folk, though not of much account, perhaps, in your high policies'

- Gandalf to Saruman ( Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle-Earth )

I recently thought i'd like to get back into pipe smoking. I bought 3 Missouri Corn Cobs, 1 natural and the other 2 are Ozark hardwoods, they are all real Missouri Meerschaums though. I've also got about 5 oz left of a sampler pack. They have yet to have a full bowl through them. Great little start up set for FREE!

If anyone is interested in them PM and i'll mail them off as i'm going to continue to keep the stogies and leave the pipe...

EDIT: They are gone. Thanks

]Any tobacco product SHOULD be a lost art[/B]. I started smoking cigarettes then quit when they became too expensive. They raised the prices from $.35 to $.40 per pack. Best move I ever made!!QUOTE]

kh54s10 - First, a Congratulations on giving it up.
Secondly, I am not sure I understand why you think all smoking should be lost because the prices keep going up. I agree, cigarette prices are rediculous.

Here in Anchorage a pack of cigarettes goes for $9.98 each. I quit cigarettes in 1993 when I saw the trend in price increases. I noticed that my preferred smokes weren't increasing the same way so I kept them and as someone said before, they are mostly a treat now, and a personal choice.

I smoke pipes, cigars, cigarillos, cheroots and my hookah. My wife still smokes cigarette and the hookah. They are a great way to spend quiet time in our garden swing or out on the deck. Like others have said; a good smoke, a good drink and good company are excellent ways to unwind.

Any tobacco product SHOULD be a lost art.

This seems to be another example of someone who thinks their reasons for giving some thing up is enough that everyone should give it up. I see pipe smoking as an art. I smoked five packs a day of cigarettes--along with two cans of Copenhagen a day--for a number of years. I quit back in 1991. I went with no tobacco for many years.

A few years ago I lightened up my stance on such things, and started enjoying an occasional cigar with friends. I bought a couple pipes and learned to smoke them occasionally, and now seldom use cigars--preferring the pipe.

I smoke when I am doing something outdoors--since my wife does not want it in the house. Even then I don't always smoke. My favorite time to smoke is when I am setting up my smoker or when brewing. I go days and even weeks between smokes sometimes. If I ever feel like I need a smoke--really neeeeeeeed a smoke--I put it away for a couple months and don't touch it. I control my pleasures instead of letting my pleasures control me. So, is there a problem with someone enjoying a cigar or pipe in this way?

cluckk said:
This seems to be another example of someone who thinks their reasons for giving some thing up is enough that everyone should give it up. I see pipe smoking as an art. I smoked five packs a day of cigarettes--along with two cans of Copenhagen a day--for a number of years. I quit back in 1991. I went with no tobacco for many years.

A few years ago I lightened up my stance on such things, and started enjoying an occasional cigar with friends. I bought a couple pipes and learned to smoke them occasionally, and now seldom use cigars--preferring the pipe.

I smoke when I am doing something outdoors--since my wife does not want it in the house. Even then I don't always smoke. My favorite time to smoke is when I am setting up my smoker or when brewing. I go days and even weeks between smokes sometimes. If I ever feel like I need a smoke--really neeeeeeeed a smoke--I put it away for a couple months and don't touch it. I control my pleasures instead of letting my pleasures control me. So, is there a problem with someone enjoying a cigar or pipe in this way?

That is quite impressive. 5 packs of cigarettes and 2 cans of Copenhagen a day and you gave it up. That is super impressive. I use Copenhagen a can every few days and that for me has been tough to give up. Well done!!!

So I've been up all night and read all 83 pages of this thread and it has inspired me to go out and buy a pipe and some tobacco. I came home with two corncob pipes per recommendation to try different types of tobacco in and a couple ounces of different types of tobacco. I'm enjoying my first bowl now and Ive definitely found a new hobby to go along with my newfound love for homebrewing. I just started my first ever homebrew earlier this week on Tuesday, a Caramel Apple Hard Cider and will be starting my first batch of beer tonight or tomorrow morning. Hopefully come payday i can order a churchwarden and also an estate pipe. Really glad i found this thread. Thank you Dan for starting it and also thanks to the rest of you guys for posting your advice and links. :pipe:

GilaMinumBeer said:
Never seen anything like it.

Digging up an old thread

I didn't read down the rest of the original thread page tonight. But id be suprised if I didn't comment before.

The pipe you put a pic of reminds me of a pipe I had given to me from a person in Sweden. That might make them Swedish pipes

Aside from all that. The screw in bowl pipes in my experience smoke well, are not hot smokers and easy to maintain

JPhomebrews said:
So I've been up all night and read all 83 pages of this thread and it has inspired me to go out and buy a pipe and some tobacco. I came home with two corncob pipes per recommendation to try different types of tobacco in and a couple ounces of different types of tobacco. I'm enjoying my first bowl now and Ive definitely found a new hobby to go along with my newfound love for homebrewing. I just started my first ever homebrew earlier this week on Tuesday, a Caramel Apple Hard Cider and will be starting my first batch of beer tonight or tomorrow morning. Hopefully come payday i can order a churchwarden and also an estate pipe. Really glad i found this thread. Thank you Dan for starting it and also thanks to the rest of you guys for posting your advice and links. :pipe:

JP,

Thanks for checking out this thread. GMB, Is probably the person most willingly to share his expertise. If you have question he's the guy that will answer. Don't get me wrong. Ill help as well as many others, gillaMinum. Just does it better

I subscribed earlier this morning and I'm sure ill have a lot more questions to ask you guys as i take on this new endeavour! Thanks again Dan and ill make sure to keep GMB in mind for future posts.

Pipe smoking is definitely an art. I couldn't keep a bowl lit the first day for the life of me, then i realized my tobacco was way to wet. Left the bag open for a day and it seems to be smoking better. I've been using the "Frank Method" but that will take some practice as well.

I know this has been asked a few times and is subjective to the smoker, but what blends/tobacco would you guys recommend? As far as this is concerned is there a good blend to smoke to refinine the palat a bit before moving to thhe more delicate/complex blends?

What do you guys smoke? From what i can remember Frog Morton and Virginia #1 are popular along with Blue Note(brand or blend?) and i think Chocolate Silk. Those are the ones that come to mind at least. :pipe: :mug:

I've mentioned it a few times but I'm a big fan of Seattle Pipe Clubs Mississippi River. Also Frog Morton, Frog Morton Cellar, Orlik Golden Slice. Limerick (sp?) are on my shelves right now.

I've mentioned it a few times but I'm a big fan of Seattle Pipe Clubs Mississippi River. Also Frog Morton, Frog Morton Cellar, Orlik Golden Slice. Limerick (sp?) are on my shelves right now.

Can you get those from pipesandcigars? I've noticed almost every one of their pipes are sold out or on backorder.

Pipe smoking is definitely an art. I couldn't keep a bowl lit the first day for the life of me, then i realized my tobacco was way to wet. Left the bag open for a day and it seems to be smoking better. I've been using the "Frank Method" but that will take some practice as well.

I know this has been asked a few times and is subjective to the smoker, but what blends/tobacco would you guys recommend? As far as this is concerned is there a good blend to smoke to refinine the palat a bit before moving to thhe more delicate/complex blends?

What do you guys smoke? From what i can remember Frog Morton and Virginia #1 are popular along with Blue Note(brand or blend?) and i think Chocolate Silk. Those are the ones that come to mind at least. :pipe: :mug:

I smoke mostly English blends and a Cavendish blend. I haven't bought a tin of tobacco since I couldn't find Presbyterian Mixture where I live. Instead, I usually buy blends made up by my tobacconist.

Another thing, besides the tobacco being too moist is the way the pipe is packed. I think I've shared in on here before, and I assume everyone smoking for a while knows it but permit me to share it again. for the new guys. The old saying is that it takes three hands to pack the pipe. The first hand is the hand of a child, the second is the hand of a woman and the third is the hand of a man. So you fill the bowl with tobacco and press it with about the force that a child would do. Then you add more tobacco and press it with the force of a woman's hand. Finally top off the bowl and press it with the force of a man'd hand. So, you have three layers pressed at every increasing pressure. It should draw then about the same as a well rolled cigar. It shouldn't be like puffing on a straw--to loose. Neither should it be like trying to suck a thick milk shake--to tight.

To light, if you use matches, allow the sulfur to burn off before applying to the tobacco. If using a butane lighter try not to scorch the lip of the bowl. If you use a fluid Zippo realize that you will have some residual flavor from the fluid. Fluid Zippos are best avoided on English blends since they have no casing to cover that taste. Apply the heat to the tobacco and draw. Try to ignite the whole surface of the tobacco. Tamp it back down gently with your tamper on your pipe tool or pipe nail. Relight while drawing and then enjoy the smoke.

I smoke mostly English blends and a Cavendish blend. I haven't bought a tin of tobacco since I couldn't find Presbyterian Mixture where I live. Instead, I usually buy blends made up by my tobacconist.

Another thing, besides the tobacco being too moist is the way the pipe is packed. I think I've shared in on here before, and I assume everyone smoking for a while knows it but permit me to share it again. for the new guys. The old saying is that it takes three hands to pack the pipe. The first hand is the hand of a child, the second is the hand of a woman and the third is the hand of a man. So you fill the bowl with tobacco and press it with about the force that a child would do. Then you add more tobacco and press it with the force of a woman's hand. Finally top off the bowl and press it with the force of a man'd hand. So, you have three layers pressed at every increasing pressure. It should draw then about the same as a well rolled cigar. It shouldn't be like puffing on a straw--to loose. Neither should it be like trying to suck a thick milk shake--to tight.

To light, if you use matches, allow the sulfur to burn off before applying to the tobacco. If using a butane lighter try not to scorch the lip of the bowl. If you use a fluid Zippo realize that you will have some residual flavor from the fluid. Fluid Zippos are best avoided on English blends since they have no casing to cover that taste. Apply the heat to the tobacco and draw. Try to ignite the whole surface of the tobacco. Tamp it back down gently with your tamper on your pipe tool or pipe nail. Relight while drawing and then enjoy the smoke.

You are the man! I remember reading that but i for the "Frank Method" for some reason. What i don't remember reading when you originally posted that(though I'm sure you did) is the draw should be like a well rolled cigar. My bowis have been way to loose. Packed one in thirds after reading that and got what i would consider to be like drawing on a cigar. Smoking much better now. I need to go out and buy a real pipe when i get paid though, my corn cob pipe seems to be fouling up already. :pipe:

Definitely pack it a little tighter. My first tries with the Frank method were WAY too loose. Went through an entire book of matches.

Nothing wrong with the cob; I love mine. Highly doubt it's fouled up already.

Definitely pack it a little tighter. My first tries with the Frank method were WAY too loose. Went through an entire book of matches.

Nothing wrong with the cob; I love mine. Highly doubt it's fouled up already.

Yup i know now to pack a lot tighter than i previously thought.

Maybe I'm cleaning it wrong? Or smoking wrong. But it tastes a bitter and not like it did when i first started smoking. I know I've been smoking a bit fast to try and keep it lit.

It is possible that smoking it faster and harder trying to stay lit that you scorched the wall. The nice thing about a corn cob is that there is no need to break them in. However, that also means you always have tobaccos against cob wall instead of insulated by a layer of carbon. I would also ask if you have always smoked the same tobacco in the pipe. Ideally you should have a different pipe for each of your tobaccos because each one will take on some of the flavors of the tobacco smoked in it and when you try something else you get a mixture of flavors. I have two tobaccos that I like. Each has their own pipes--two for each, so I can rotate them between smokes. When I am at the tobacconist and get curious about a blend, I always buy a new corn cob to try it in. I never put an unknown tobacco in one of my broken in pipes.

If you notice the bowl is going out, cup it with your hand and lightly lay a finger across the opening--be careful to not burn yourself. I use my thumb for this. Then draw while covering it this way. This will reduce the air opening and make the air you draw in come at a higher velocity. It will act like blowing on a fire--it will get hotter and bring a dying bowl back to life.

JP, the ones I mentioned earlier can all be purchased through Pipes and Cigars. The downfall is that there stock is limited nearly all the time. If I buy the bulk tobacco I will usually purchase by the pound when a particular blend is available to avoid the shortages.

So I went and picked up a $30 briar. And I'm a complete noob when it comes to tobacco but I tried smoking it and the draw was really resistant no matter how I packed it. So I pulled the stem out abd there was this clear plastic plug in it that had the tiniest hole. (See pic). Can I just take this thing out or is it a necessary part of the pipe?

ForumRunner_20130909_191427.jpg

That's probably some sort of filter. I would take it out and try it as long as it doesn't seem like it's an integral piece of the pipe.

Golden Cavendish in my La Rocca with some Espresso roast on a chilly Fall Saturday afternoon..

pipe.jpg

Hey Mike!

How you doing brother? Something about fall and pipe smoking :mug: It's bonfire time, sweatshirts, football and an upcoming Turkey day. Love the fall, great time to smoke a pipe!

Cheers my friend!! :mug::mug:

Dan

Hey Mike!

How you doing brother? Something about fall and pipe smoking :mug: It's bonfire time, sweatshirts, football and an upcoming Turkey day. Love the fall, great time to smoke a pipe!

Cheers my friend!! :mug::mug:

Dan

Howdy Dan!

I'm doing swell my friend. I hope you're doing well, also!

Fall is indeed a great time of year for a pipe (and a cigar). Today we are unseasonably cool. Our high is only going to be around 74 which is probably 10-12 degrees below our average. I'm going to an outdoor birthday party with my pipe in tow!

Enjoy your weekend brother! :mug:

Back