Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just threw 2 rack of babies on the smoker. Gonna whip up some abts and put them on the rack above.

Pics or it didn't happen. :)

Sounds like an awesome time. Wish I was smoking today. Cheers, brotha.

My smokey balls are ready to be glazed. (Adaption of the sweddy balls SNL skit)

Thanks remmy!!!

image-1249408480.jpg

Well crap...forgot to take pix of the ribs but here's the abts crisping up in the oven after 2 hours of applewood smoke.. Came out great on the smoker. Smoke adds another level to these. Best appetizer ever.

ForumRunner_20130824_205346.jpg

I didn't smoke anything but I made a 5lb cedar plank venison meatloaf and armadillo eggs on the grill.

So I smoked 4 butts and 2 briskets over the last 2 weekends and now I have a crap ton of meat leftover. Anyone have any good recipes for some beef tacos? Chili Verde?

I have already done that, they are in the freezer now. Just looking for some alternate things to do with them besides chili or putting it on abun. I do nachos with it also.

If you have a vacuum sealer, seal them up in individual portions and freeze them. To reaheat, boil in the bag for 10 minutes (don't microwave!). Open bag and eat. It will be exactly as it was when you took it off the smoker.

small-brisket-flat-in-vacuum-bags-60786.jpg

I do that all the time - it's great.

I cook way more food than I can handle in one sitting...just so it makes it easier for me to eat my barbecue in the future. :D

Every year my family has a smoke off grill off. The event was this past weekend.
Did a pork shoulder for 15 hours.

Smoked macaroni and cheese with bacon and topped with pulled pork. Drizzled the top with a cherry chipotle BBQ sauce (cherry was the secret ingredient that was mandatory). Also served it with a 2 year old wine that was racked onto sour cherries. Very dry and sour.
Here is my presentation to the "judges"

image-3236034906.jpg

I have already done that, they are in the freezer now. Just looking for some alternate things to do with them besides chili or putting it on abun. I do nachos with it also.

How about pulled pork tacos? I like them on a corn tortilla topped with picked onions,hot peppers and Sriracha.

ChefRex said:
How about pulled pork tacos? I like them on a corn tortilla topped with picked onions,hot peppers and Sriracha.

Nice.

I make smoked pulled pork tacos, too. With corn tortillas an homemade salsa verde (I roast the peppers and tomatoes).

Any way to keep the temp steadier?

I got tired of the constant temperature battle several years ago and bought one of those digital controlled electric smokers from Lowes (about $300) and the quality of what I was able to smoke went up exponentially. It felt like cheating.

Grimster said:
I got tired of the constant temperature battle several years ago and bought one of those digital controlled electric smokers from Lowes (about $300) and the quality of what I was able to smoke went up exponentially. It felt like cheating.

I have one of those too. I don't feel like its cheating I prefer to think of it as smoking food for really busy/lazy people and I'm kinda both. I've had awesome results with mine.

I have one of those too. I don't feel like its cheating I prefer to think of it as smoking food for really busy/lazy people and I'm kinda both. I've had awesome results with mine.

Same here. I used to do the charcoal/wood thing but bought a Traeger pellet grill a couple of years ago and my results have greatly improved. I love being able to put a giant hunk of meat in the smoker before bed and it being ready by lunch with just a couple of refills of the hopper. Beats the hell out of adding charcoal or wood every 30 minutes to an hour in the heat of summer in Alabama. If electric smokers are for lazy people then I'm proud to call myself lazy.

16 pound brisket going on the mak tomorrow afternoon, going to do the no foil method again, will keep you guys updated!

16 pound brisket going on the mak tomorrow afternoon, going to do the no foil method again, will keep you guys updated!

Looking forward to it. Do you have the 1 star or 2 star? I've been eyeing Maks for a while. If my Traeger would ever finally give up the ghost... It's between the 1 star and a Memphis Select

Back