Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fishing while brewing...and eating potatoes

Fishing for potatoes while brewing?! Bobbing for taters in hot wort! Now we are getting really off track. Guy wants to grab a beer with me after work sometime now. I will enjoy it more than he even knows. What is the lightest commercial IPA I can buy? Sierra Nevada extra pale?

kaconga said:
Fishing for potatoes while brewing?! Bobbing for taters in hot wort! Now we are getting really off track. Guy wants to grab a beer with me after work sometime now. I will enjoy it more than he even knows. What is the lightest commercial IPA I can buy? Sierra Nevada extra pale?

Smuttynose is pretty light color-wise

Ten fidy?

Blaecorn Unidragon? Bud Light Platinum?

Gave a buddy a taste of my heady topper, he says "wow, that's really good! Super hoppy, reminds me a lot of Guinness!"

Poor guy isn't a beer drinker, he just wanted to say something nice since I'd worked so hard to get my hands on the heady. I just laughed and taught him a little bit about beer in general.

I heard today, "I like lagers, I don't like ales. They are too hoppy!" Evan after I tried to explain the difference, he still said it a few more times.

Last night:

Me: "What's this Estrella Damm? Is that a lager?"
Waiter: "No, it's more like a Michelob."
Me: (holding my tongue) "Sure, why not."

So I get the beer, and he comes back after checking with the bar and says, "Yeah it's Portuguese Bud Light."

And you know what? That's exactly what it tasted like.

Not so much a funny statement. I've been feeding one of my coworkers a steady selection of bottled homebrew that I've been holding on to. The other day I saw a 24 pack of "Big Flats" from Walgreens that he bought for like $8. I mentioned it, he'd never tried it and asked how it was. I said basically that it's beer, and compared it to PBR lite.

I followed up with it this morning and asked how it was. I can't accurately recreate the passion in which he stated how bad it was. He said that after drinking everything that I've been giving him it made it especially bad.

mpride1911 said:
Not so much a funny statement. I've been feeding one of my coworkers a steady selection of bottled homebrew that I've been holding on to. The other day I saw a 24 pack of "Big Flats" from Walgreens that he bought for like $8. I mentioned it, he'd never tried it and asked how it was. I said basically that it's beer, and compared it to PBR lite.

I followed up with it this morning and asked how it was. I can't accurately recreate the passion in which he stated how bad it was. He said that after drinking everything that I've been giving him it made it especially bad.

I live in Elmira, NY (right next to the town of Big Flats NY) and see this stuff all the time for $3 a six-pack. No desire to try it, at all.
*Edit* just researched this and realized it has nothing to do with the neighboring town. I feel stupid now :p

Last night:

Me: "What's this Estrella Damm? Is that a lager?"
Waiter: "No, it's more like a Michelob."
Me: (holding my tongue) "Sure, why not."

So I get the beer, and he comes back after checking with the bar and says, "Yeah it's Portuguese Bud Light."

And you know what? That's exactly what it tasted like.

I've never had a chourico flavored beer! How was it?

Another facepalm beer vs ale. This was at lunch today. I think they just went by if it had "ale" in the name, it was an ale, if not, it is a beer

spats-menu-60838.jpg

Had an extended debate with a friend last night who was telling me all Belgian beers are lagers. ALL OF THEM!!

At one point, when I was showing him the BJCP guidelines for dubbels, trippels etc. I just had to say "you realise you're arguing about beer styles with the kind of person who has the style guidelines on their phone". I don't claim to be an expert or anything, but I know my ale from my lagers ;)

Then we looked up one he likes, Kwak. First line, "Kwak is an amber ale...".

Another facepalm beer vs ale. This was at lunch today. I think they just went by if it had "ale" in the name, it was an ale, if not, it is a beer

Classic saying that ticks me off. I have to keep reminding the girl I work with but she is a snobby biotch and won't correct herself and still spreads misinformation to our learning customers.

One that I get all the time is when people first find out I'm making beer, they tell me to be careful not to poisen myself or blow up my kitchen... I would really like to know how the dangers of Meth labs has become associated with homebrewing???

One that I get all the time is when people first find out I'm making beer, they tell me to be careful not to poisen myself or blow up my kitchen... I would really like to know how the dangers of Meth labs has become associated with homebrewing???

I had a landlord many years ago that was about to call the cops on me once he saw my IC in the sink. I had to give him a quick run down on brewing & show him all my bottles. people see copper & they instantly think meth or still. I blame the mainstream media. they ruin things.

I was once in a brewpub in St Charles, just outside of St Louis, where I was trying (note I did not say enjoying) their beer sampler. I asked about the hops they used in a few of their brews and after a bit of gibberish the waiter proudly proclaimed that their blueberry beer (it was even worse than I expected) got its blueberry flavor because the hops were grown alongside blueberries! :confused: I just about fell out of my chair. After asking him about it, and him assuring me that is how it is done, I asked if by any chance the brewer was on the premises and if I could talk to him. About 10 min later the waiter returned and sheepishly admitted he was mistaken and the blueberry flavor was from flavoring added to the beer after brewing.

My second favorite, and most often heard funny thing said about beer is when talking beer with [insert your own adjective] people, and they say they can’t drink “Lagers” because they are too dark/bitter, so they only drink beers like Bud,Miller,Coors… :cross:

a co worker the other day was trying to convince me a stout is a lager because guinness is a stout and guinness only makes lagers. i kinda just starred at him with a dumbfounded look for a couple min before trying to nicely educate him. which turned into me apparently being an *******.

he did however say that guinness tastes watery after drinking a few homebrews i gave him to sample.

jack_a_roe said:
a co worker the other day was trying to convince me a stout is a lager because guinness is a stout and guinness only makes lagers. i kinda just starred at him with a dumbfounded look for a couple min before trying to nicely educate him. which turned into me apparently being an *******.

he did however say that guinness tastes watery after drinking a few homebrews i gave him to sample.

It's not regarding beer, but my first wife tried to convince me that Mercedes and Benz were 2 different vehicles... Yeah, me too. SMH

Local "pub" tv commercial.
-I put pub purposely into quotes because its just a dive bar but they call themselves a pub.

"coldest beer in town"

shows bar maid with frosted over sun glasses as she pours beer into a glass that appears to have dry ice in it.

Everyday people I don't mind being ignorant about beer because to them its just another choice between a coke or Pepsi. But for a bar to continue the myth that colder is better is hard for me to take.

I went to an organic food/craft beer place in Tupelo. They have a serve yourself concept when it comes to the beer--just go to the cooler and grab what you want. I got a Westmalle Tripel. I asked for a glass, and the server pointed to another cooler. Frosted pilsner glasses.

I got some weird looks as I sat at the bar rolling the glass around in my hands.

I went to an organic food/craft beer place in Tupelo. They have a serve yourself concept when it comes to the beer--just go to the cooler and grab what you want. I got a Westmalle Tripel. I asked for a glass, and the server pointed to another cooler. Frosted pilsner glasses.

I got some weird looks I sat at the bar rolling the glass around in my hands.

Odd dichotomy there.

I do one of two things when I order a beer in a mainstream restaurant. Either I ask for a warm glass, or if they're all chilled I ask for one right out of the dishwasher; or I put the frozen glass of icy draft beer between my thighs until it warms up. The first always gets a weird reaction as they try to be polite and not ask why. Or, the waitress will return expecting to see me drinking my beer but doesn't see it on the table. She'll look confused, then I have to explain why the beer is between my legs. As they apologize for it being too cold and try to think of some way they can help, swmbo chimes in with "Its okay, he's a beer snob, he'll be fine." She's a beer snob too. And we always have to tell them "No fruit!"

I will only drink any of the mass produced Mexican lagers if I have limes in them. I enjoy them...not as beer of course, but as a mixed drink. And that's how I refer to them.

Blue Moon is awful so...yeah...I wouldn't drink it regardless.

I like blue moon. But if it comes to my table with an orange peel without asking immediate anger. I am not one to hurt people's feelings but that I will.

russrob81 said:
I like blue moon. But if it comes to my table with an orange peel without asking immediate anger. I am not one to hurt people's feelings but that I will.

It's got too much orange in it for my tastes to begin with...

russrob81 said:

Blue moon says specifically to serve it with an orange slice. I think that's incredibly unique. The ironic part is, nobody wants it that way. Us beer snobs see no reason for the orange, and everybody else is like " why the F do they have an orange in their beer!" Blue moon is like liquid southpark. It offends everybody.

As long as I expect it to taste like Blue Moon and not like Pliney, I don't mind it. I've never bought it myself, but my boss has taken me to many places where Blue Moon is the best they have and I'm not one to turn down free beer.

As long as I expect it to taste like Blue Moon and not like Pliney, I don't mind it. I've never bought it myself, but my boss has taken me to many places where Blue Moon is the best they have and I'm not one to turn down free beer.

Free beer is free beer. If I am not paying my hard earned money on it, I will go with it. I won't turn down a Blue Moon unless there is something better available.

I the waiter proudly proclaimed that their blueberry beer got its blueberry flavor because the hops were grown alongside blueberries!
I wonder if that would work.
I know that fruits and vegetables will take on slight characteristics of what they are grown next to. I've eaten spicy tomoatoes that were grown intermixed with jalapenos.

Not sure if it would work with hops because we're only pulling the oompa loopmas and/or acids, and not eating the vegetation.

Back