I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those things can be amusing but the vast majority these days are fake... there are plenty of sites/software that allow people to generate them.

One of my favorite fish dishes I've had is jerk swordfish. That wouldn't really work with most fish but swordfish has the structure necessary to make it work. And aside from that, swordfish is absolutely delicious... unfortunately, it also has pretty much the highest mercury content of any species, even exceeding on the order of several times other fish that are also considered to be very high in mercury. If it wasn't for that, I'd probably eat it every week.
Not a fan of the hatter huh?

Was given a few pounds of brown figs that I skinned and ran through the processor with almonds,nutmeg,cinnamon,brown sugar, and butter.
I have a sweet dough rising and will roll out spread the fig mixture over and will roll up and cut into pieces allow them to rise again and bake like a Cinnabon.

Was given a few pounds of brown figs that I skinned and ran through the processor with almonds,nutmeg,cinnamon,brown sugar, and butter.
I have a sweet dough rising and will roll out spread the fig mixture over and will roll up and cut into pieces allow them to rise again and bake like a Cinnabon.
You know, I've been thinking lately that I should make a savory cinnamon roll like object. Hmm. Maybe I'll do that for dinner.

Rolled out

image-3720126708.jpg

Waiting 2nd raise

image-3774959430.jpg

Looks good. Glaze, frosting, or neckid?

I started the bread dough. Then sliced 3 bratz I previously boiled and froze into thin slices. Then cooked 3 slices of bacon nice and crispy in the bacon grease leftover in my cast iron skillet. After that, I browned the bratz and about 1/2 a diced purple onion in the grease. Then I chopped the bacon and the bratz slices into little pieces.

I'll use that for filling, along with some shredded mozzarella. I'm still thinking about what spices I should use...

Frosting 1/2 cup cream cheese, 1/2 cup butter, 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, tsp Totonac's vanilla.
Garlic, ground fennel, sage and diced mushrooms ?
I love cream cheese frosting.

Garlic, definitely. I don't have any decent mushrooms available atm. Hmm, fennel and sage sound interesting. I was thinking a little fresh cracked pepper. I'm wanting a bit of spice too. Not a ton... Maybe run some red chili flakes through my spice mill...
Stomboli?
A bit. I'll take some pictures when I start assembling.

Ok, so here's the spice blend.

1 tsp whole celery seed
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp whole fennel
1 tsp granulated garlic
1/2 tsp ground sage
1/2 tsp whole peppercorns
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper

That went through my spice mill. AKA, my coffee grinder. I'm planning on using most of it on the rolls tonight. :) It's a little more spicy then I intended. I probably would cut the crushed red pepper in half next time.

Ok, so here's the spice blend.

1 tsp whole celery seed
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp whole fennel
1 tsp granulated garlic
1/2 tsp ground sage
1/2 tsp whole peppercorns
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper

That went through my spice mill. AKA, my coffee grinder. I'm planning on using most of it on the rolls tonight. :) It's a little more spicy then I intended. I probably would cut the crushed red pepper in half next time.

That's a lot of pepper between the 2

Picture time. The dough. The spice blend, I used all of it. The toppings. The cheese, I thought I had more mozzarella then I did. So I put some cheddar jack on too. Starting the second rise.

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

That's a lot of pepper between the 2
It is a bit. The pepper corns don't bother me, but the crushed red pepper is a little more then I wanted for a burn. Not a big deal, but I'll cut it the next time I make that kind of blend.

EDIT: Oops. I forgot to spray the dish before I put the rolls in. Hopefully there will be enough oil from the cheese and other ingredients so it won't stick to badly.

Haha, that's funny I forgot too. Bottoms got darker then I like from the sugar and not enough oils;)
Good to know I'm not the only one.

Yeah, I need to eat. I had a mini Hershey bar this morning. That's been it. I just managed to make myself a drink that reminds me of cherry cough syrup too. Oh well, I'm going to drink it anyway.

It is a bit. The pepper corns don't bother me, but the crushed red pepper is a little more then I wanted for a burn. Not a big deal, but I'll cut it the next time I make that kind of blend.

EDIT: Oops. I forgot to spray the dish before I put the rolls in. Hopefully there will be enough oil from the cheese and other ingredients so it won't stick to badly.

A bechamel / Parmesan cheese sauce might cut the heat and be the "icing" on your buns.

A bechamel / Parmesan cheese sauce might cut the heat and be the "icing" on your buns.
Hmm, that's a good idea. Unfortunately I don't have enough cheese thawed right now to make one. Maybe a little melted butter and some Parmesan for a "glaze". I'll want to see how oily they are before I add anything like that though. I'm thinking I can probably moisten the tops with the oil that's going to come out of the fillings.

The rolls have risen again, now they want revenge! :fro: Into the oven they go.

DSC_0023.jpg

Bah...just cracked a milk stout that I brewed a few months ago and had in the fridge for a week - poured it out and it was filled with little white floaties. Not overcarbonated, tastes OK, but I don't think these floaties were yeast. I have to somehow check the rest of the batch, tough because I can't see into the bottles. I might have a dumper on my hands.

My last two batches sucked for some reason. I'm not sure what is up, but I hope my current brews get back on track. My Centennial pale ale looks and smells awesome (knock on wood), and I am going to brew up an English pale ale next week. My pipeline is getting a little thin.

Oh, my these are good. I popped them out of the pan immediately. I figured it was my best shot at getting them out without making a mess. They didn't really stick, but there is no oil in the bottom of the pan. I buttered the tops.

I can't even tell you how good these are. The fresh bread, the butter, the cheese, the salty bacon, the bratz and onions. I think I just made my own kryptonite. Other then being a little to hot, the spice mix was spot on too. It helps I haven't eaten anything today, but still. Definitely recording exactly how I made these.

DSC_0025.jpg

Bah...just cracked a milk stout that I brewed a few months ago and had in the fridge for a week - poured it out and it was filled with little white floaties. Not overcarbonated, tastes OK, but I don't think these floaties were yeast. I have to somehow check the rest of the batch, tough because I can't see into the bottles. I might have a dumper on my hands.

My last two batches sucked for some reason. I'm not sure what is up, but I hope my current brews get back on track. My Centennial pale ale looks and smells awesome (knock on wood), and I am going to brew up an English pale ale next week. My pipeline is getting a little thin.

I had that problem about a year ago. I started getting more anal about bottle cleaning. I used to just rinse a couple times after I poured out a bottle. Now all bottles get a good overnight soak in oxiclean every time I re-use them. I never had another problem ever again. I also noticed that my beers have a much longer shelf life, too.

Oh, my these are good. I popped them out of the pan immediately. I figured it was my best shot at getting them out without making a mess. They didn't really stick, but there is no oil in the bottom of the pan. I buttered the tops.

I can't even tell you how good these are. The fresh bread, the butter, the cheese, the salty bacon, the bratz and onions. I think I just made my own kryptonite. Other then being a little to hot, the spice mix was spot on too. It helps I haven't eaten anything today, but still. Definitely recording exactly how I made these.

I'm definitely going to have to steal this idea from you. It sounds really good!

I had that problem about a year ago. I started getting more anal about bottle cleaning. I used to just rinse a couple times after I poured out a bottle. Now all bottles get a good overnight soak in oxiclean every time I re-use them. I never had another problem ever again. I also noticed that my beers have a much longer shelf life, too.

The stout is the only one that seems to be infected. I'll need to check the other bottles - if they are all infected then that likely means something got into the fermentor. We'll see. A good bleach bombing is probably in order anyway since I had all my equipment out in the shed over the summer.

For some of the other batches, I think I just shocked the **** out of my yeast doing just jarring things; pitching dry yeast without rehydration into wort, slamming them with alternately warm wort and chilled RO, not enough oxygenation. I think I was getting cocky thinking that nothing could go wrong, so I cut some corners and got sloppy. I got some weird off flavors. It was beer, but I'm drinking it just to get it to go away.

For this last pale ale, I rehydrated in 105F tap water for 15 minutes, cooling it down to about 90F, and then pitched the properly hydrated yeast into my still warmish (~80F) partial boil wort, and then adding make-up water from the tap. The tap water was about 65F, and I took 2 quarts at a time in a gallon jug and shook the dickens out of it for about a minute before adding it.

The next day I had to grab some krausen beer out of that batch, and since I was stirring and punching down the cap in my wine, I decided to also give my pale ale a nice stir. It looks and smells like a happy beer so far. I'm going to secondary this batch in a few days, and if the yeast cake looks and smells happy, I think I will pitch some slurry on my English pale ale and let it ride.

Have I ever mentioned just how much I like this time of night and love this thread? Well, if not I just have one thing to say.

Creativity flows through here like an old river that keeps on changing course through time. The seasons change, the landscape is reshaped, life happens but always the river flows. Forever seeking a new channel and continually strengthened by new tributaries. At times the river is slow, and at times fast and furious. But always flowing and growing to a never end.

Cheers to you guys and to HBT!

It occurs to me that I have 2 big and one small ferments going, all cranking out tons of CO2 in my small little house. I should probably crack a door and open a window to make sure I don't snuff myself.

There's a One-Minute Mystery for you - A man is found dead in a house where all the doors and windows were closed and locked. He is surrounded by buckets full of beer and wine. What happened?

Thunder_Chicken said:
It occurs to me that I have 2 big and one small ferments going, all cranking out tons of CO2 in my small little house. I should probably crack a door and open a window to make sure I don't snuff myself.

There's a One-Minute Mystery for you - A man is found dead in a house where all the doors and windows were closed and locked. He is surrounded by buckets full of beer and wine. What happened?

He fell asleep in the bathtub and his cat knocked over an electric space heater into the tub. He was electrocuted.

Gotta be it!

He fell asleep in the bathtub and his cat knocked over an electric space heater into the tub. He was electrocuted.

Gotta be it!
Haha!

I ate three of those things. That's 1/2 a loaf of bread, 1 1/2 bratz, 1 1/2 strips of bacon, 1/4 of an onion, and an unknown amount of cheese. I'm comfortably full, and getting sleepy. Good knight gentlemen.

Right now I'll be poetic,

To Dan:
Tis time to sleep, yet I'd rather drink
And make a toast to homebrewtalk
And it's time to run off to bed
But damn it, I'm lucky if I can walk.

reinstone said:
Right now I'll be poetic,

To Dan:
Tis time to sleep, yet I'd rather drink
And make a toast to homebrewtalk
And it's time to run off to bed
But damn it, I'm lucky if I can walk.

Reinstone

That's awesome! I'd come back with one of my cheeses rhymes but I'm tuckered out too.

Moved my daughter into her new apartment yesterday, tried to sleep on her floor last night. Not at all comfortable not much sleep. Today got up and rode a few hundred miles on my steel horse. Hitting the sack here soon as well

We'll have to catch up soon my lil brother from a different mother

Reinstone

That's awesome! I'd come back with one of my cheeses rhymes but I'm tuckered out too.

Moved my daughter into her new apartment yesterday, tried to sleep on her floor last night. Not at all comfortable not much sleep. Today got up and rode a few hundred miles on my steel horse. Hitting the sack here soon as well

We'll have to catch up soon my lil brother from a different mother

Got that right!

Leadgolem said:
Haha!

I ate three of those things. That's 1/2 a loaf of bread, 1 1/2 bratz, 1 1/2 strips of bacon, 1/4 of an onion, and an unknown amount of cheese. I'm comfortably full, and getting sleepy. Good knight gentlemen.

Sounds good. You'll pay for that tomorrow. ;)

Night LG.

Leadgolem said:

Those look awesome. Kind of reminds me of stud muffins.

Either a few of us aren't quite telling the truth and going to bed like we said or are just logged in unknowingly. I so tied do that.

LG. I really was going to go to bed but keep looking over that recipe of yours. I'm starving now. Thanks. 😄

Either a few of us aren't quite telling the truth and going to bed like we said or are just logged in unknowingly. I so tied do that.

LG. I really was going to go to bed but keep looking over that recipe of yours. I'm starving now. Thanks. 😄

Eating some ribs in Illinois.

Those look awesome. Kind of reminds me of stud muffins.
Well, there is flax in the bread dough. Though I don't think giving one of these to a horse would be a good idea. :)

You're welcome. :D

More rice wine goodness.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f243/m...un-different-361095/index267.html#post5441204
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f243/m...un-different-361095/index268.html#post5443519

Back