3 FLoyds Zombie Dust attempt. Help/info requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots have. I would recommend checking sone of the last 100 pages. Lots of results/comments and probably quicker than waiting for a few replies.

Has anyone tried the Austin Homebrew clone kit yet? I priced it out and if their kit is any good it's cheaper to buy the kit than to assemble the ingredients yourself.

Anyone try the extract version of this? If so, how did it turn out?

Yes, and it's fantastic. Just note that it's a partial mash recipe, you won't get the same results if you just steep the grains the way you would with a straight extract recipe. As noted above there are specific comments in the thread on how to do the partial mash.

I brewed on saturday afternoon. Sunday afternoon the fermentation temp (per fermometer strip on glass carboy) was around 72 degrees (in a 62 degree dark basement). This is my first time using S-04, should I be worried about estery flavors?

I brewed on saturday afternoon. Sunday afternoon the fermentation temp (per fermometer strip on glass carboy) was around 72 degrees (in a 62 degree dark basement). This is my first time using S-04, should I be worried about estery flavors?

Gettin close... I haven't used 04 that high, but it'll blow through the wort pretty fast as higher temps.. Won't be clean though, but with enough hops you might not pick up on it as bad. Might have a little fusel alcohols and a slight cidery note if it wasn't controlled soon enough.

Wrap or drape wet towels on the carboys. It'll bring the temp down a couple degrees. Fan helps too but will dry the towel out fast.

Thanks for the feedback. Last time I used 1272 when I tried this recipe because I was still relatively new to the hobby (still am, but have 15 batches under my belt). But, was disappointed with the amount of chill haze the beer developed...

I scale it down to 3 gallons BIAB, and sadly am only hitting 63% efficiency (but hitting it regularly +/- 3%) so I still need to up the grain bill a little more. That being said I tired a "hop stand" with this recipe as well. I didnt change any of the additions, but chilled to 185 then let it sit for 45 minutes during which it dropped to 143 on its own. Then proceeded to chill it down to high 70s. It got to a point of diminishing returns where it was 3 minutes of running water through IC to get it to lower 1-2 degrees. I had a TON of huge fluffy, clouds in the sky looking, cold break that wouldnt settle to the bottom. I suppose I couldve tried a pseudo-whirlpool with my stirring spoon and let it sit, but I just transferred anyway. It started at 176 and I thought it would lower on its own before fermentation really took off. Nope later that night the airlock was bubbling away, 1"+ of krausen, and temp was a steady 72. Sunday afternoon (roughly 24 hours later) down to 70. Monday morning 68, Monday afternoon 64-66 with minimal airlock activity. I am going to let it sit for 2 more weeks (2.5 weeks total) before I transfer to secondary and dryhop for 7 more days.

I will try wet towels in the future with this yeast. Other yeasts I have used I havent had to worry about high 60s and low 70s, but I've read about S-04 being a finicky yeast.

On a recommendation from my LHBS employee, I used 1/2 Whirlfloc tab at 5 minutes, a pinch of irish moss at 15min, AND WL's Clarity-Ferm just before pitching yeast. Seems like an awful lot of extra chemicals in my beer... just to avoid chill haze again. My other beers using the same methods have come out clear I dont know why this one was so incredibly hazy before, still tasted awesome though. I have used whirlfloc and irish moss in small amounts of both before and been fine, we will see what Clairty-Ferm does.

I dont quite understand the hopstands fully. Would I have needed to actually add hops to gain anything? Or just letting the hops sit between 185 and 140 give me any benefit?

Also I see the batch size is 6 gallons. I am correct in assuming 6 FINAL gallons? Not 6 gallons boil, or 6 gallons minus .5 gallons for hop and equipment loss? I just want to be sure because the first time I thought there needed to be more hops to get the flavors you guys were describing. The beer was good, but not outstanding. Maybe it was just a utilization problem on my part as I also missed the whole FWH thing the first time and did a 60min addition, I suppose that would effect things as well.

sorry for the huge post. Still learning and trying to "dial-in" a beer that I can/and want to repeat regularly.

I've brewed this recipe several times and the last time I made it the S04 also took me 10 degrees above ambient temp and got to the lower 70s and it was definitely my least favorite batch. Definitely drinkable but the esters that s04 put out at that temp are not very pleasing and come through noticeably even through all the hops and dry hops.

Yes, and it's fantastic. Just note that it's a partial mash recipe, you won't get the same results if you just steep the grains the way you would with a straight extract recipe. As noted above there are specific comments in the thread on how to do the partial mash.

I have done BIAB before so I should be good. Is this for a 5 gallon batch?

Hello all,

just brewed this on July 31. Used S-04. Made a yeast starter and it was fermenting within hours--going crazy. Hope it turns out well and thanks for the recipe.

Could not get carafoam and so used carapils.

I made this beer from the original recipe skeeter posted. It was a "cat pee" smelling son of a gun for a while but it mellowed out after a month or so and I drank every one, last one a week ago. I will brew this again.

I made this beer from the original recipe skeeter posted. It was a "cat pee" smelling son of a gun for a while but it mellowed out after a month or so and I drank every one, last one a week ago. I will brew this again.

I've noticed cat pee aroma from the citra I bought in bulk at the beginning of the year. Nothing like the over ripe mango I used to get from previous crops of citra. My thinking is that the brewerys are selecting all the nice tropical citra crops and leaving us homebrewers with the catty crops. It still makes a very nice beer I just enjoy the more tropical citra.

I've noticed cat pee aroma from the citra I bought in bulk at the beginning of the year. Nothing like the over ripe mango I used to get from previous crops of citra. My thinking is that the brewerys are selecting all the nice tropical citra crops and leaving us homebrewers with the catty crops. It still makes a very nice beer I just enjoy the more tropical citra.

The citra I ordered from Williams had a phenomenal fresh tropical aroma. No cat pee whatsoever. The citra from Northern was much less aromatic, but I still didn't get much cat pee. Just tried my ZD with both sources before kegging and it tasted amazing. Again no cat pee. I just wish I would have saved the Williams citra for dry hopping.. Pretty sure I opened that bag first for bittering :smack:

The citra I ordered from Williams had a phenomenal fresh tropical aroma. No cat pee whatsoever. The citra from Northern was much less aromatic, but I still didn't get much cat pee. Just tried my ZD with both sources before kegging and it tasted amazing. Again no cat pee. I just wish I would have saved the Williams citra for dry hopping.. Pretty sure I opened that bag first for bittering :smack:

It makes me not want to buy citra in bulk since it's hit or moss but it still beats paying 3$ an ounce at the lhbs

It makes me not want to buy citra in bulk since it's hit or moss but it still beats paying 3$ an ounce at the lhbs

I hear ya. I have Northern and Midwest minutes from my house which is super convenient, but they don't offer sh*t for bulk hops so I usually just suck it up and pay retail

My attempt at this with the most up to date recipe. DELICIOUS. I wish I could remember what the real thing tasted like, as it was almost 6 months ago. Regardless, the intense tropical, passion fruit like aroma and flavors are just fantastic. I hadn't had much luck with wyeast 1968, but my hopes have been resurrected!

hAKwfKJ.jpg

Wow I would say that yours looks the closest to the real thing. What did you change from the original recipe?

Looking at the recipe in post one it lists a mash temp of 154 and WY 1968 yeast. Doesn't that mash temp seem a bit high when using a low attenuating yeast like the 1968?

Looking at the recipe in post one it lists a mash temp of 154 and WY 1968 yeast. Doesn't that mash temp seem a bit high when using a low attenuating yeast like the 1968?

Apparently you missed this part of post #1: "I have also used 1968 and it was similar to the S-04, perhaps a bit fruitier and it was sweeter/higher FG. If using it I would recommend mashing a few degrees cooler."

Apparently you missed this part of post #1: "I have also used 1968 and it was similar to the S-04, perhaps a bit fruitier and it was sweeter/higher FG. If using it I would recommend mashing a few degrees cooler."

I guess I did. Whoops!

Is there a consensus mash temp? I am thinking 150.

jawilson20 said:
I guess I did. Whoops!

Is there a consensus mash temp? I am thinking 150.

I used Conan yeast last time and mashed at 152 and it got down to ~1.011. 150 would probably work great, but I can't remember off hand what temp I used for 1968

Nice, Sunday is day 14 of fermentation of my HT clone using the conan. I've used the YG-001 for a wet hop beer last weekend and using again this weekend for a variation on Tasty's APA with Citra.

Nice, Sunday is day 14 of fermentation of my HT clone using the conan. I've used the YG-001 for a wet hop beer last weekend and using again this weekend for a variation on Tasty's APA with Citra.

I'm drinking my HT clone now, with the YG001 (Conan) yeast, and it is awesome. As Skeezer did, my last ZD clone was with Conan yeast and Pearl as the base malt. It's only been fermenting for 5 days, so I'll have to chime in later when it's kegged. I normally dry hop right in the primary, but since Conan is so hard to find these days, I think I'll have to rack off the Conan so I can harvest some. I've never harvested yeast before, but in this case, I think it's worth it.

I'm drinking my HT clone now, with the YG001 (Conan) yeast, and it is awesome. As Skeezer did, my last ZD clone was with Conan yeast and Pearl as the base malt. It's only been fermenting for 5 days, so I'll have to chime in later when it's kegged. I normally dry hop right in the primary, but since Conan is so hard to find these days, I think I'll have to rack off the Conan so I can harvest some. I've never harvested yeast before, but in this case, I think it's worth it.
Please do, I've been building up starters that are 50-100 bil cells larger than necessary and adding to a sanitized ball jar just before pitching. So far so good. I'll have to give the ZD with Pearl and Conan a go!

You could just use an autosiphon or racking cane to siphon some off the top of the cake, then dry hop.

I just did a post on my blog trying this recipe for an extract kit....the recipe did sound solid, however this was my first time home brewing by myself and let's just say....I will never do that again. Check out what happened:
http://anderhoff.blogspot.com/2013/08/my-first-home-brewing-disaster.html

Interesting given that I think many people brew alone exclusively. I have never had a brew partner, and some argue that with partners your more likely to make mistakes due to distractions or each thinking the other did something.

Brewed this on 7/21/13 for a fantasy football draft tomorrow (8/31/13). This beer is amazing! I used the S-04 yeast. It fermented fast and I dry hopped for 10 days with 3 oz of Citra. This will be the #1 beer on tap at my house for a very long time.

This is my second time brewing this, I love this beer!!! Had the "Ohhh" face all day while brewing it. Can't wait to drink. Thanks for the recipe!!
P.s. I threw in some calypso (that I won from my brew club) for fun. :)

So Im on my 5th batch of beer. All have been based on this recipe. being from chicago I love 3 floyds and zombie dust too. Its too bad I cant even get it from the brewery anymore, ive been going there since they opened. now the hipsters and yuppies have taken it over!

Love this forum... Ive learned so much : built a 3 tap keeper and stir plate and everything in between... Im still in extract - waiting for the funds to go all grain and 15 gallon batches...

On to my question??? I brewed a batch last night, and today the fermentor is going crazy! I have a blow off tube into a bucket, and its VERY active. I created a yeast starter from a white labs WLP002 English Ale vial that was 2 months past best by date, and 2 pint jars of recently washed 1968 yeast. mixed with 1 cup DME + 4 cups water. What will happen if I used too much yeast? Will one dominate the other? or will they compliment each other?
Thanks

^ - From my limited knowledge, 1968 is the same (or close to it) yeast as wlp002. I'm assuming this was a 5gal batch? I think you have to over pitch A LOT to get noticeable "bad" results. I think you'll be fine.

@ 3 Floyd's now ... This place is great! Zombie on tap is great very fresh dank citrus flavor! Anicca is really good too w/ mosaic hops! Food is as good as the beer... Too bad no zombie dust to go

Anyone brewed using El Dorado hops? No luck getting a lb. of Citra anywhere and I ain't spending $2.50+ an ounce but want to brew something like ZDust again. Was thinking of subbing with El Dorado, but never actually brewed with them before. Thoughts? Maybe bitter with something else...Magnum or Warrior.

El Dorado® is a special dual purpose variety with exceptional aroma qualities and high alpha acids. It was developed by CLS Farms, LLC in 2008 and released in 2010. El Dorado® consistently elicits responses of fruity notes, specifically tropical fruit flavors. Other fruit notes offered have been pear, watermelon and stone fruit.

Anyone brewed using El Dorado hops? No luck getting a lb. of Citra anywhere and I ain't spending $2.50+ an ounce but want to brew something like ZDust again. Was thinking of subbing with El Dorado, but never actually brewed with them before. Thoughts? Maybe bitter with something else...Magnum or Warrior.

El Dorado® is a special dual purpose variety with exceptional aroma qualities and high alpha acids. It was developed by CLS Farms, LLC in 2008 and released in 2010. El Dorado® consistently elicits responses of fruity notes, specifically tropical fruit flavors. Other fruit notes offered have been pear, watermelon and stone fruit.

Try a 50/50 combo of amarillo and chinook. I got a hop profile that was more similar to zombie dust than all citra by doing this.

Latest posts

Back