Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wailingguitar said:
Carbonated beer can still be filtered, so that isn't an issue. Krausening and spundig were especially popular techniques due to their efficiency. With krausening you have the advantage of not having to use an outside CO2 source, which saves money. With spundig, you have the added advantage of being able to turn beers over quicker. Both processes are very practical and economical on the large scale

Can carbed beer really be filtered without pulling the CO2 out? From what I've seen, the filter acts like one giant nucleation site and rips most of the CO2 out of solution. The off gassing also serves to decrease filtering effectiveness.

Then again, I don't know many home brewers that have the BMC budget.

I would think you would lose some co2 unless you raised the pressure higher than your intended pressure, had the pressure at your intended pressure on the finished side of the filter, and had a reliable way to slowly release pressure as the beer transfers into the finished keg.

I would think you would lose some co2 unless you raised the pressure higher than your intended pressure, had the pressure at your intended pressure on the finished side of the filter, and had a reliable way to slowly release pressure as the beer transfers into the finished keg.

I believe they fully carbonate the beer naturally, and then use external CO2 to push is through the filters, otherwise a lot of the CO2 would be removed by the filtering process. So technically, it is naturally carbonated, BUT they do use extra CO2 to replace any that is lost/prevent it from being lost, during the filtering process

pjj2ba said:
I believe they fully carbonate the beer naturally, and then use external CO2 to push is through the filters, otherwise a lot of the CO2 would be removed by the filtering process. So technically, it is naturally carbonated, BUT they do use extra CO2 to replace any that is lost/prevent it from being lost, during the filtering process

Gotcha. Most important would be making sure you weren't dropping pressure much across the filter, which is where your co2 would come out. Just have to have back pressure.

I go from one keg through a 1 micron whole house filter, and into another keg sitting at atmospheric pressure. To do it after it was carbed up, I would put 12psi of co2 on the receiving keg, push the beer with 15psi and slowly release from the receiving keg to allow it to transfer.

Did I just learn something? Are krausening and priming one and the same? I might be a veteran ranter/jack-off but Im still a noob brewer.

My understanding is that krausening is adding wort to prime as priming is adding any sugar to prime. Not a big difference but us brewers seem to like using our own language to differentiate the processes and equipment we use.

Can carbed beer really be filtered without pulling the CO2 out? From what I've seen, the filter acts like one giant nucleation site and rips most of the CO2 out of solution. The off gassing also serves to decrease filtering effectiveness.

Then again, I don't know many home brewers that have the BMC budget.

Absolutely! I have done it more times than I can count! I was the brewmaster for a pub chain that used spundigs to carbonate in all three of our locations. We had 2sqM Spadoni DE filters which were of the erosion type. Whereas a pump fed filter doses the DE into the beer from a mixing tank using a pump, an erosion filter doses into the beer stream by diverting a portion of the flow into a sealed, pressurized mixing tank. The carbonated beer is pumped out of the fermenter, under pressure, through the filter (still pressurized) and into the brite tank, which will either be set to blow off pressure at a balancing point about 1 or 2 psi lower than the fermenter OR will have a balancing line to feed the CO2 back to the fermenter. The beer stays perfectly carbonated and is ready to serve or package immediately after filtration is complete.

Generally no additional carbonation is required, see my above post

I thought a krausen (noun) was the thick, foamy mess on top of fermenting beer. WTF?

Krausen when used as a noun refers to the the foam, as a verb it is the act of priming the beer (to ultimately carbonate it and make the top of a glass foamy), specifically by the use of fresh wort or fermenting beer

I have heard several times when buying beer "dude you could get a 30 of bud for the same price as those two sixers" to which i always think "im young not stupid"

gstrawn said:
I was once buying to 30 packs of budlight as requested by others, and not by choice. While standing in line to check out a man behind me informed me that I was holding "the best damn beer in the world." I was about 5 miles from the AB brewery and he was an employee. It took all I had not to insult him with a chuckle.

I once went to a Milli Vanilli concert because someone gave me a ticket but I don't go around bragging about it (opps I just did).

Out of curiosity, which was better; Milli or Vanilli?

And since this is a beer thread - what did you have to drink while you were there? Was it good?

At a restaurant last evening looking over the relatively good beer list. After being told "we no longer have that on tap" I said no problem, I'll take a tall 60 minute IPA. He responded "good choice! Doghead is great"

He brought me a Fat Tire.

At a restaurant last evening looking over the relatively good beer list. After being told "we no longer have that on tap" I said no problem, I'll take a tall 60 minute IPA. He responded "good choice! Doghead is great"

He brought me a Fat Tire.

This would have driven me nuts!

I've finally got one for this thread. I over heard my brother say I don't want that after you put your finger in it. He was taking to his girlfriend. She was talking about the old oil off your face to get rid of the head of a beer or coke. I turned around and said that's the most sacrilegious thing you could do to a beer. She said you've gotta get it off there. I said no, you drink it with it. That's where the aroma comes from. Then we had a big beer conversation. All good in the end.

My girlfriend tried a bock I made awhile back and said it tasted like a vegetable and often tells people how much she loves my " broccoli beer"
It's a good thing she's cute

My girlfriend tried a bock I made awhile back and said it tasted like a vegetable and often tells people how much she loves my " broccoli beer"
It's a good thing she's cute

There's probably an issue with your boil, she's describing DMS.

It was my first brew so your probably right. The funny thing to me is that to her it tasted like shiner farmhouse but I don't see it

n240sxguy said:
I've finally got one for this thread. I over heard my brother say I don't want that after you put your finger in it. He was taking to his girlfriend. She was talking about the old oil off your face to get rid of the head of a beer or coke. I turned around and said that's the most sacrilegious thing you could do to a beer. She said you've gotta get it off there. I said no, you drink it with it. That's where the aroma comes from. Then we had a big beer conversation. All good in the end.

Nose grease is totally appropriate for natty light and beer pong. Water shouldn't have foam on it - it's weird.

Btw - I was on this thread the other day and someone said you couldn't filter carbonated beer. (Someone has to call me out for it - might as well be me).

Back