Home brew review channel.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's funny you mentioned...I have never made a video before and we made one. But I can't get it off my cd from the camcorder. Then to YouTube. So it's been a process. It's still happening lol. I swear it. I'm using my wife's T3i camera middle this week. And that's straight digital so. It's a Belgian porter review and some good tips. I will update on how the re shooting goes.

Holy crap man. Ill never make fun of people's crappy YouTube videos again. After a long process and using finally my lady's cannon camera to record. I realized I had no skills in talking about stuff lol Everytime I opened my mouth I forgot what to say. Sigh. Anyhoo. I have finally created something resembling a video lol jokes aside I am posting it tonight. Should I post it to this thread or make a separate one.?

Hi!

Keep it up, it looks OK from here, sure, with about $100,000 worth of equipment you could really put the sparkle on it....but this looked like a couple of homebrewers reviewing a beer...exactly what we need. Just reading comments on a forum aren't comparable to the look on someones face when they get a first taste...

Looking forward to more.

-gnarlyhopper

gnarlyhopper said:
Hi!

Keep it up, it looks OK from here, sure, with about $100,000 worth of equipment you could really put the sparkle on it....but this looked like a couple of homebrewers reviewing a beer...exactly what we need. Just reading comments on a forum aren't comparable to the look on someones face when they get a first taste...

Looking forward to more.

-gnarlyhopper

Thanks man we really needed to hear that and I'm glad you liked the video or the direction we are going with it.

Perhaps the best idea here is to assemble a board of three or four of us whom are Cicerone certified to judge the beers and collaborate on a single review to be recorded and posted to YouTube. I'd be interested in participating.

TheMerkle said:
Perhaps the best idea here is to assemble a board of three or four of us whom are Cicerone certified to judge the beers and collaborate on a single review to be recorded and posted to YouTube. I'd be interested in participating.

Thanks for the idea I don't know anyone that's certified but I do know master brewers so perhaps I can get guests to appear once I get established. But the idea is for now that we would try to honor and come close to a pro review as possible ie using a beer sheet and give constructive criticism as needed. But it's a place to have fun share topics helpful tips and most important see the beer out thoughts and to share the recipe. Thanks for the interest man I really appreciate it. If you'd like to participate you can shoot an email listed on the video and we can go over the details. There are so many new brewers who need validation on here or have many questions or want to show off their recipe. I think this may be a good outlet for that..if it fails then we we tried. But we have a bunch of videos to make to my surprise we have two people already who are going to send in. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
...But the idea is for now that we would try to honor and come close to a pro review as possible ie using a beer sheet and give constructive criticism as needed. But it's a place to have fun share topics helpful tips and most important see the beer out thoughts and to share the recipe...

Firstly I haven't watch the video yet...
If you are going to get technical and use a BJCP scoresheet to evaluate the beer maybe think about getting 2 bottles sent - Review the first bottle "live" on video with your intial impression, then a few days later try the beer sitting down with the scoresheet to really analyse it. I would do this bcause for me the most enjoyable part of a beer review video is the initial impression (you can see it on your face).
Cheers :mug:

I don't know that I'd do the review live... I would definitely scoresheet it, script the the video, then film. That said: some B-side of the initial reaction might be cool. Definitely the best part of a judging (at least for the beer's brewer) is the judge's reaction. Though it can be skewed by one's personal distaste for a certain style, that initial reaction can never betray the way that they TRULY feel about the beer.

Firstly I haven't watch the video yet...
If you are going to get technical and use a BJCP scoresheet to evaluate the beer maybe think about getting 2 bottles sent - Review the first bottle "live" on video with your intial impression, then a few days later try the beer sitting down with the scoresheet to really analyse it. I would do this bcause for me the most enjoyable part of a beer review video is the initial impression (you can see it on your face).
Cheers :mug:

well in a perfect world id like two bottles sent one for myself and ond one for joe to review but i for cost reasons i leave it up to the sender..i dont want to be anal about reviewing the score sheet is just a guidline and keeps the review fun and honest..i want people to feel that they are learning from this or validation that their beer is good and the recipe is worth for others to brew it.. thanks for the advice as i take everyones input..and i might use it. thanks for the support man and hopefully i can get a bunch of subscribers and keep it going....cheers.

I don't know that I'd do the review live... I would definitely scoresheet it, script the the video, then film. That said: some B-side of the initial reaction might be cool. Definitely the best part of a judging (at least for the beer's brewer) is the judge's reaction. Though it can be skewed by one's personal distaste for a certain style, that initial reaction can never betray the way that they TRULY feel about the beer.

thanks for validating the score sheet i think its a great idea too. in my opinion live is the angle im going for..ill private message the video if you cant see it in this thread. i want this to be live not scripted ..i think to many people do that and it leaves out an honest reaction..i want to come across as an average brewer that makes mistakes and loves to homebrew more relatable if thats even a word lol
..i can appreciate all beers...i dont hate one particular style over the other so favoring one over the other wont happen...atleast i hope not ...thanks for the input..this is for everyone on here so i do listen. :mug:

In retrospect, I guess I'd prefer live over scripted as well... but the scoresheet takes time to use properly and is not conducive to riveting video; I think your real task here is to find the happy median between the two.

You really have to keep your review videos short, 17 minutes is far too long on a review of one beer. The guy on Beer Geek Nation has it down as far as length, editing and getting to the point.

Unless its Brewing TV/Chop and Brew, Im probably not going to watch a 17min homebrew video.

In retrospect, I guess I'd prefer live over scripted as well... but the scoresheet takes time to use properly and is not conducive to riveting video; I think your real task here is to find the happy median between the two.

totally agree..i have done a few trial runs and i think i can skim through it but yet make it worth while to have..over time we will find our stride..
:)

You really have to keep your review videos short, 17 minutes is far too long on a review of one beer. The guy on Beer Geek Nation has it down as far as length, editing and getting to the point.

Unless its Brewing TV/Chop and Brew, Im probably not going to watch a 17min homebrew video.

17 is too long but our thought was an introduction video or being our first video there was a lot to explain so i think we needed that 17 so people can understand atleast the direction we are going with this...the next videos from now on will be 10 or much less..

next video we will be recording on sunday..a belgian porter..plus tips on saving your overcarbonated beer :) cheers..getting a video editor too to make things easier.. thanks imbibe.

Finally got the next video up...still getting used to this whole making videos thing..tricky but getting better.

well in a perfect world id like two bottles sent one for myself and ond one for joe to review but i for cost reasons i leave it up to the sender..i dont want to be anal about reviewing the score sheet is just a guidline and keeps the review fun and honest..i want people to feel that they are learning from this or validation that their beer is good and the recipe is worth for others to brew it.. thanks for the advice as i take everyones input..and i might use it. thanks for the support man and hopefully i can get a bunch of subscribers and keep it going....cheers.

I send 2 bottles to competitions where 5 or more judges are trying it... I don't think you need a whole bottle each to review a beer.

That said, you can all send me free beer anytime. I'd gladly review them sub 20 minutes.

Just seems like a cheap way to not have to buy beer.

So, is the idea that we send our beers to some random guy on the internet (you,) and then this random guy renders his opinion of our beer and posts it as a source of truth? Is that about the gist of it?

Do you have some kind of BJCP certification, or Cicerone credential? That might help lend credibility to what you are trying to do.

Not sure why anyone would have an issue with this. I've watched your first two videos and they were well done. This is a free country, don't let the judgemental idiots ruin your fun.

Keep up the good work.

Channel66 said:
I send 2 bottles to competitions where 5 or more judges are trying it... I don't think you need a whole bottle each to review a beer.

That said, you can all send me free beer anytime. I'd gladly review them sub 20 minutes.

Just seems like a cheap way to not have to buy beer.

Nope I don't need two bottles. 1 beer would be fine you're right and I state that. I leave it up to the sender. I'd be happy to send in one of my own to you if you have a channel. Like I've said before I got this idea for and from people on this site and thought it would be informative and fun. I really want to point out though I'm not in this for free beer. I have a career I buy and brew my own. Thanks for the input and hopefully I can build this into something even you can enjoy. Cheers.

smccarter said:
Not sure why anyone would have an issue with this. I've watched your first two videos and they were well done. This is a free country, don't let the judgemental idiots ruin your fun.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the support. We really appreciate it. The videos will get better as well as my comfort level on camera. We are doing it live so it takes some getting used to.

I think it's a great idea regardless if certifications or not. Being a home brewer I don't know anyone but my family that home brews and it would be nice to get a none bias opinion on my brews. Good job guys keep it up.

thejudge said:
I think it's a great idea regardless if certifications or not. Being a home brewer I don't know anyone but my family that home brews and it would be nice to get a none bias opinion on my brews. Good job guys keep it up.

Thanks judge.. We will have our first review of a brew that is not our own in a week or two. My beer is up next week :/ I'm hoping more people will want to send in as time goes on and by the amount of emails ive been getting it looks very promising..Thanks for the support and perhaps one day we will see your beer in one of our videos. Cheers man and thanks again.

Brew day at the home brewers review household. An ipa variant I call Citrade and a light bodied brown. We will be reviewing a beer of my own tomorrow a nice lime ale i made from a cream ale recipe..Hopefully get that up on YouTube tomorrow night for you. Also good news! we will be doing our first review of a beer that's being sent in after this weeks review. Cheers. L

New video is up...thanks for all the messages and support. keep the likes and subscriptions coming to see more reviews..thanks

Contest announcement: looking for 10 entries for people to send in one home brewed beer, extract or all grain..to be ready by October..date not yet decided. What beer you ask? Pumpkin. Requirements are it has to be made with real pumpkin and that it doesn't exceed 7% ABV.
All entries will be reviewed and shown on our video page..the recipes will be shared so others can brew your beer. winner shall receive a 25.00 gift certificate to Northern Brewer and a surprise gift. If you think you'd be interested in entering we will take the first 10. A video will be made also to announce this. Just getting the feelers out there. Should be fun.
Email is at [email protected] and we will shoot you the details

So I was looking for some input since it is our First little contest. Is the 25 dollars to NB a good amount also the surprise gift to the winner a bottle of the new stone beer collaboration wootstout. Thoughts? Or should we hold out on the contest till we have more reviews under our belt.

image-3566003995.jpg

Pumpking beer contest video is up!
also another review video will be posted tonight cheers!

New Review from a homebrewer in NJ..enjoy!

Prizes have been decided for the winner of our HBR best pumpkin brew of 2013. 25 dollar gift cert to Northern brewer, a bottle of starsan, a cert from HBR, best pumpkin brew of 2013, and their recipe posted for others to try.

Just discovered this. Have to say- pretty nice guys! Kind of reminds me of the early days of BTV.
I normally don't follow much on youtube, but I've subscribed to this one. I have a couple brews in the pipeline or planning stage that I might send down to you. Keep up the good work.

JimRausch said:
Just discovered this. Have to say- pretty nice guys! Kind of reminds me of the early days of BTV.
I normally don't follow much on youtube, but I've subscribed to this one. I have a couple brews in the pipeline or planning stage that I might send down to you. Keep up the good work.

Hey thanks Jim its been an experience and we are learning as we go. Main thing is we hope people enjoy it and can take something away as far as learning goes and share recipes. We have fun and are becoming more comfortable around the camera..really appreciate the support and hopefully we can review one of yours in the future. Cheers.

Still looking for a few more home brewers for our pumpkin contest. Check out the video or If you're on the fence or have questions just ask. Cheers. Another review coming soon. Cheers.

New video is up..we did a review on a homebrewers bourbon porter..looking for 2 more people for our Pumpkin contest thanks for all the support..like subscribe yadda yadda :)

Also anything you guys or gals can think of that you'd like to see. Or how we can improve?

New video is up..we review a blueberry ale :) cheers like subscribe and all that...thanks for the support.

Back