Show us your Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been done with this for a while (except for the drip tray - can't figure out how to mount it), but I finally filled it up.

Rare Earth magnets (available from hardware stores, amazon, or inside an old hard drive) - epoxy them to the drip tray, then stick it to the side of the keezer.

I found this little guy on Craigslist for $100 as "inoperable" and I talked the guy down to $75. I had a donor mini fridge at the house, and figured the components alone were worth twice what I paid for the complete unit, so it was a winner for me either way. It originally came with a sanke coupler, the lines were moldy, and the inside smelled like old, moldy beer. After another $35 at the LHBS for ball lock connectors, lines, fittings, and a crimper I headed home. Also, it turned out the the Co2 thank was full...added bonus!

I got home, sprayed it down, cleaned it, and attached the new hardware. I then checked the relay and the bi-metal disc had come loose; once I fixed that and plugged her in, she started cooling and has been going strong since Saturday. I kegged my first beer on Sunday, and am eagerly awaiting my first tapped homebrew!

IMG_2300.jpg

IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_2299.jpg

Hi, just thought I would post some pics up of my almost completed Kegerator.
Used a Double door Westinghouse Fridge Freezer. Control the freezer side with a Temperature controller to prevent the freezer from dropping to -18 and just maintain a constant 3-4C
Removed the old Ice/Drink dispenser that was in the door and replaced it with a custom unit that I made from Acrylic (perspex)
2 Taps each with a IR sensor to detect a glass and turn on the LED Down light jsut above each Tap.
Installed the Kegbot system with iButton for user authorization. No beer can be dispensed from the Tap unless you authorize your ibutton, which in-turn activates the Solenoid that allow beer to flow to the taps.
Flow metering is recorded via Kegbot and assigned to each drinker for Stats.
Fridge side of the Kegerator has been pimped with some new LEDS and is used to keep the wife happy for Wine and extra groceries.

Heres a couple of pics

20130617_091203.jpg

20130514_094425.jpg

20130617_091313.jpg

Hi, just thought I would post some pics up of my almost completed Kegerator.
Used a Double door Westinghouse Fridge Freezer. Control the freezer side with a Temperature controller to prevent the freezer from dropping to -18 and just maintain a constant 3-4C
Removed the old Ice/Drink dispenser that was in the door and replaced it with a custom unit that I made from Acrylic (perspex)
2 Taps each with a IR sensor to detect a glass and turn on the LED Down light jsut above each Tap.
Installed the Kegbot system with iButton for user authorization. No beer can be dispensed from the Tap unless you authorize your ibutton, which in-turn activates the Solenoid that allow beer to flow to the taps.
Flow metering is recorded via Kegbot and assigned to each drinker for Stats.
Fridge side of the Kegerator has been pimped with some new LEDS and is used to keep the wife happy for Wine and extra groceries.

Heres a couple of pics

20130617_091203.jpg

20130514_094425.jpg

20130617_091313.jpg

all I can say is WOW!!!!!....oh and, I'm jealous!!!!.....are you an IT guy? LOL....

Ok, i just finished this yesterday. I have a 4.3cf sanyo that i used in my college days that has already been converted, but will only refrigerate one corny at the moment. Cool thing is that the out side frame has been designed to suite any mini fridge up to 4.8cf which I'm sure I will do eventually seeing I'm already set up for two:) Cool air /beer lines run up through the PVC tubing into a an easily removable box to access the shanks and fittings to make cleaning easy. The frame is made of birch and oak stained kona, and finished with 6 coats of polycrilic semi gloss. Can't wait to throw my first batch in!

Wow plotto that is awesome! I only wish I had half your talent and know how. Very nicely done.

plotto said:
Flow metering is recorded via Kegbot and assigned to each drinker for Stats...

Hey, I love this. Except the part that logs how much each person drinks!

Rare Earth magnets (available from hardware stores, amazon, or inside an old hard drive) - epoxy them to the drip tray, then stick it to the side of the keezer.

Thanks! This worked well - it was hell getting them off of the hard drive backing plates though.

This is my second kegerator, the first was a fridge style with tower. That one is now the fermentation fridge, this one used to be the fermentation chest; they've just switched roles. Now, I can have 2 beers on tap still, possibly a third in the future for a stout faucet/nitro setup, and have space for a lager or two that I can forget about.
This was definitely a challenge. My stepdad did the work, since he's a woodworker. I'm sure he made it more complicated than needed, but it turned out awesome.

2013-06-22 14.06.15.jpg

2013-06-22 21.10.41.jpg

2013-06-22 23.03.48.jpg

Every time you open the lid you let humidity in. I open mine only to swap kegs, or recharge the eva-dry and have yet to see frost or condensation inside my freezer in the slightest. My tank and regulators are outside though, so I can make adjustments without going inside.

I know a lot of you all have amazing DIY kegerators. I got the kegerator from friend for a steal and upgraded the tower to a two tap tower it took me about 4 months a last night drilled it out to a 3 tap tower using a drill press. Hole was a little oblong but once it's together none the wiser. I know I squeezed the lager tap in there just to see if it would fit but I do have black ones to use. Also made that chalk board tap with inspiration from the ones you can buy

image-2924252040.jpg

image-3563155287.jpg

forgot to put the temp probe in the freezer and the beer froze solid. it's under co2 pressure any concerns? should I vent and is the beer no good?

I froze a corney solid while dialing in the thermostat and wedging a keg against the plate... I set it out overnight to warm up, and kept it closed. Then I put it back in kegerator and left it another day off the gas.
You might have to vent it a little later as it could have absorbed more co2 while it dropped to freezing.. But you won't know until later. Don't waste your carbonation now, or you'll be forever dialing it back in.

How do you guys using chest freezers solve condensation issues?

Usually condensation comes from air getting through the seal. You can try wiping it down real good with rubbing alcohol or some kind of cleaner and then putting a little oil, like vegetable oil, around where the seal meets.

$50 craig's list find. It was rusty inside and all scraped up and dirty on the outside. I sanded and painted the inside white and cleaned up the outside and painted it black. Appliance epoxy from Lowe's was what I painted it with. On top is the STC-1000 in a Radio Shack project box. My Keg kit should be here Friday... This One! I have some Apfelwein that will be getting kegged as soon as possible.

0702130522a - compressed.jpg

0702130523 - compressed.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
$50 craig's list find. It was rusty inside and all scraped up and dirty on the outside. I sanded and painted the inside white and cleaned up the outside and painted it black. Appliance epoxy from Lowe's was what I painted it with. On top is the STC-1000 in a Radio Shack project box. My Keg kit should be here Friday... This One! I have some Apfelwein that will be getting kegged as soon as possible.

Very nice!! What sandpaper did you use, and what was your process?

I went to Home Cheapo, and bought a sanding block with velcro backed paper. I used 50, 80, 120, and 220 to get the seams smoothed out and the rusty spots knocked down. The seams where the different panels come together was the worst, particularly on the bottom. It was so hard to get a good angle on the bottom seam that I finally gave up and painted it anyway. It will probably rust again in the not-to-distant future, but like I said, it was cheap.

The painting took me a week to do it all. I painted the inside first. I started with the bare metal, and rusty spots first. But since it was the most humid week so far this summer, it took forever to dry. It had hardened enough so a firm touch wouldn't leave a fingerprint, but it was still tacky. I got the inside to a point where it looks good from about six feet up, and I taped off the top to be able to spray the outside.

I ended up using one and a half cans of the black epoxy to do the whole outside. I would do one side at a time, and put down just enough paint to leave a splotchy black and white look. Then I would come back the next day and do a little more. The last day was just coming back and hitting the few spots that I had missed and I was good to go.

The temp controller wasn't bad, and I just hard wired it to the freezer, instead of putting in an outlet like I have seen some do. The ground pin on the freezer plug was broken off, so hard wiring it was an easy to fix the grounding. And I put it all in a 6" x 8" project box from Radio Crack.

That's one lonely looking beer.

Man. Seeing all these beautiful kegerators tears me up, as I have zero talent/creativity to build my own. Off to Home Depot I go, no matter what the cost I'm gong to build one. Nice work to all.:mug:

Man. Seeing all these beautiful kegerators tears me up, as I have zero talent/creativity to build my own. Off to Home Depot I go, no matter what the cost I'm gong to build one. Nice work to all.:mug:

I'm not very good with tools, either. These are really easy to build and the only thing I did was put a phillips screwdriver bit through my thumb! :tank:

Wow! Best thread ever. You people friggin complete me lol. Can't wait to get started on mine. Got an empty chest freezer in the basement that really is a keezer trying to get out.

Here's something that might be a bit different than normal:

I work in my family's machine shop, so I thought I had to stay true to my roots and make an aluminum collar. It's 6 x 2 x 1/8th wall tubing. The tap handles are machine control levers you would use on a mill. I just got it finished last night, first beer is carbing!

At Home.jpg

Inside.jpg

Taps.jpg

Back