American Barleywine AG - Water Into Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw you typed that it should be in the primary for 1 week and secondary for a month, did you mean the other way around? Only one week in the primary seems kinda short to me...

I had this in the primary for 1 month and secondary 3 months. I would like to bottle it now.

Any special considerations for carbing? (3.5 oz corn sugar for 2.2 volumes)
Do I need to add more yeast?

thx :mug:

Looks good, i added a bit more 2-row to boost the ABV over 10% but i'm keeping your recipe otherwise. I'll probably let you guys know in January how this bad boy turned out.

cbird01 said:
I had this in the primary for 1 month and secondary 3 months. I would like to bottle it now.

Any special considerations for carbing? (3.5 oz corn sugar for 2.2 volumes)
Do I need to add more yeast?

thx :mug:

I'd like to know this as well. Brewed this on Saturday and she's bubbling away still. I've made apple wine that was this strong and waited 4 months to bottle and they turned out fine without more yeast but I'm not sure if its the same with this yeast.

depending on the alcohol content, time in secondary, temperature, etc....

1. I would pitch more fresh yeast in the bottling bucket

2. Make sure said yeast can tollerate the high alcohol

3. Give it a month mimimum to carbonate. 2 months would be great.

I had a issue with a 15% RIS and did not add any yeast. No carbonation after 6 months. opened the bottles, rehydrated some champagne yeast and use a syringe to add yeast to the bottles, re-capped and now it is carbonated correctly. This all is IMHO

doobliebop said:
Brewed this up yesterday. Beautiful color. Cheers!

Just transferred this this secondary after a month and I'd have to agree with you. The color on this is amazing! Best looking beer I've made to date... The taste on the other hand is a bit harsh still, but that's to be expected.

So I went to get the goods for this Barleywine recipe at lunchtime today but my LHBS didn't have Flaked RYE.. so I had to settle for just RYE. Also for the .5 lbs each of Crystal they didn't have the 55L and the 90L listed below so i got .5 lbs each of C-60 and C-75. I was able to get the 2-row, Munich, and all the hops. I plan to use US-05 as i have a few packages on hand. As for the 1.50 lbs. Maple Syrup, I'm thinking of going with Honey instead but if i do get maple syrup is there anything special to check for, ie make sure there isn't any preservatives in it etc ? Thanks for your help and or thoughts on what i should consider before i start this recipe guys! Brew on my friends!

OPs Recipe:
Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
52.6 10.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.03800 3
21.1 4.00 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.03700 8
13.2 2.50 lbs. Flaked Rye America 1.03400 2
7.9 1.50 lbs. Maple Syrup Generic 1.03100 35
2.6 0.50 lbs. Crystal 55L Great Britian 1.03400 55
2.6 0.50 lbs. Crystal 90L America 1.03300 90

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.00 oz. Chinook Pellet 13.00 74.3 60 min.
1.33 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 9.00 20.8 20 min.
1.00 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 9.00 0.0 0 min.
1.00 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 9.00 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP001 California Ale

I plan on brewing this up next week and was wondering if it would be possible to do a parti-gyle with my setup? I have a 10 gallon igloo mash tun that can hold 23lbs of grain at 1.25 qt/lb.

Anyone have advice on how to do this? I've never done a parti-gyle and am a little confused as to whether or not I need to up the grain bill/make a smaller batch of barley wine to get my 1st runnings where they need to be.

Just dry hopped this after three months (1:2). How long have people Been dry hopping? 1-2 weeks? Longer?

3 weeks on the last batch - but 1 or 2 should do it. I just tend to be lazy about moving stuff around.

Just bottled this up tonight, meant to do it a bit sooner but I got sick and didn't feel up to it till now.

What do the NB hops do for the aroma? It tastes a bit more balanced now (but im guessing that's just from a few more weeks of aging), there was some aroma, but not much at all and with all the flavors in the beer its hard to pull out. This is only my second time using these hops and the first was in a California common so the flavors aren't really compatible.

Now we play the waiting game...

I plan to brew a 2.5g version this week. It's my first barleywine, so I'm pretty excited for it. I'll let you know how it goes.

I brewed this myself last month and I'm interested to hear what FG other people got. My OG was spot-on (about 1.11), and I pitched a 2 liter starter of WLP001. It finished at around 1.015 and seems a little dry. I mashed at 148 degrees per the recipe.

Question in regards to the dry hop. How prevalent are the hops supposed to be from the dryhopping?

I plan on brewing this Wednesday, and let it ferment in a carboy till done, transfer to corny for long term storage till december, bottle, and enjoy next june. From my understanding anything gained from dryhopping will be lost in 6 months no?

Dryhopphing will impart mostly aroma to any beer and you are correct, long term storage of beer will degrade the hop. The first to go are the most volatile (aroma), the last to go is the the least volatile (bittering). Personally, I would not spend the time or money dry hopping any beer that I intend to age. Also, if you're planning on kegging straight from the primary, you wont have a chance to dry hop, as that is accomplished in a secondary...

When do you add the maple syrup in this recipe?

Brewing this bad boy this weekend, got an enormous starter chugging away right now!

TheNoni said:
When do you add the maple syrup in this recipe?

Brewing this bad boy this weekend, got an enormous starter chugging away right now!

I added it with 10-15 minutes left. Some people do flame out. Just make sure you whirlpool really well before you take a gravity.

Just tasted a 3-gal batch of this after 6 months aging in bottles at ~65 F. It's clarified a great deal, and is now wonderfully balanced between all those hops and the malty/syrupy sweetness. Complex, bitter, deep and satisfying.

Mine didn't come to the proper OG (goofed on not boiling all the way down to desired volume), but then it dried out more than expected, coming to around 10.5%, so it's got the appropriate kick, too.

Outstanding recipe. I was worried at first that I'd botched the dry hopping because the hops had sat out for some time and were starting to smell cheesy (my fault, had a Moment of Transcendent Stupid), but that problem character is gone entirely and the beer smells and tastes unbelievable.

Thanks to Brewpastor for an amazing recipe!

-Rich

I brewed this yesterday but needed some DME to get my OG up to the 1.100 range. It is fermenting like crazy this morning. My blowoff bottle was overflowing haha. I think I should have brought the temperature down a little from 70... Oh well!

I plan to brew a 2.5g version this week. It's my first barleywine, so I'm pretty excited for it. I'll let you know how it goes.

I am considering brewing this in a few weeks. My system can't handle this amount of grain so I was thinking of brewing 2 or 2.5 gallons. Maybe even one gallon.
I'm curious to know how yours turned out.

I am considering brewing this in a few weeks. My system can't handle this amount of grain so I was thinking of brewing 2 or 2.5 gallons. Maybe even one gallon.
I'm curious to know how yours turned out.

Funny enough, I never got around to brewing it on at 2.5-gallon scale.

However, I am planning this to be my first batch on my much bigger system next weekend.

Down to my last six-pack or two of last year's batch, and it's aged wonderfully.

The maple character faded to nebulous complexity, sadly, but it's still a delightful barleywine. Will make again, possibly for 2014.

-Rich

Finally opened one up over Christmas, but it wasn't really carbonated yet and it also was really hot tasting... I had to add some DME to get the OG up, as my efficiency suffered from so much grain... It smelled amazing, but it just needs some time to mellow out, I hope...

I brewed this in last fall, and everything went well, just a bit low on my OG (1.084), but hit my FG and just opened a bottle. It tastes very bitter after ~5months, but when I let it warm up a bit I can definitely get that malty sweetness at the back end. Will that hop bitterness fade with time or was I bit too low on my OG? I am thinking of letting this sit for a few more months before I open another.

I brewed this in last fall, and everything went well, just a bit low on my OG (1.084), but hit my FG and just opened a bottle. It tastes very bitter after ~5months, but when I let it warm up a bit I can definitely get that malty sweetness at the back end. Will that hop bitterness fade with time or was I bit too low on my OG? I am thinking of letting this sit for a few more months before I open another.

Well, it is 95 IBU per the recipe. :rockin: It won't be malt-forward.

Most of the barleywines I've tried do have a lot of hop bitterness to them, but it will fade/become more complex over time. So was this brewed in Fall 2012? If so, I'd definitely wait a few more months. My brew of this is about a year old, and is wonderful now, but was really hitting its stride in the six to eight month range.

-Rich

Well, it is 95 IBU per the recipe. :rockin: It won't be malt-forward.

Most of the barleywines I've tried do have a lot of hop bitterness to them, but it will fade/become more complex over time. So was this brewed in Fall 2012? If so, I'd definitely wait a few more months. My brew of this is about a year old, and is wonderful now, but was really hitting its stride in the six to eight month range.

-Rich

I didn't think it'd be that malt forward, but I was looking for a bit more complexity. Yes, it was brewed in Fall '12, so I was figuring it'd mellow out with more time, but was just looking for what typical length of time before big bitter beers mellow. I'll probably crack one open in the spring and see where it is. Thanks! :mug:

What's everyone using for maple syrup? It says generic is aunt jemima's ok since it will basically all ferment out?

grade b or even commercial, if you can get it, will leave the most maple flavor behind. these require the most sap to produce the same amount of syrup

I'm brewing this right now! I scaled down to 2.5 gallons as my system can't support the amount of grain for 5 gallons. With mash and sparge I used 8 gallons water and collected 5. Shooting for a 75 minute boil to get it close to 2.5 gallons. Pre-boil sample is cooling and I'm curious about its gravity.

Well, my pre-boil sample came in at 1.042. I ended up with more volume at flame out than I expected even though I lengthened the boil to 95 minutes. The final volume was 3.25 gallons. My post-boil gravity kind of reflects this as it is 1.080. I think if I had boiled off that last .75 gallons I might have been closer to 1.100. Que sera, sera! RDWHAHB!

I'm going to be bottling up my batch this Saturday and a wild idea came to me. I keep my fermenter's in a water bath to help maintain fermentation temperature. I was thinking of adding enough ice to the water bath to drop the temperature down into the 40s over the next few days before I bottle. Would this improve anything? Would too much yeast drop out of suspension causing bottle carbonation issues? Anything I hadn't thought about?

crashing the old yeast and adding a fresh pack of 05 at bottling would be better for the beer's carbonation and long-term prospects

Brewed this up yesterday. I collected 1gal too much wort for some reason even after a 90 minute boil. Ended up with 6gal at 1.092. I have a feeling my grain absorption rates need to be adjusted in beersmith. I've been overcollecting lately, but just not by this much.

Regardless, I'm satisfied with the result. 1 thing about this beer though- I made a stepped 3l starter and this thing absolutely exploded right off the bat. We're talking 'I needed to use a 5 gallon bucket just to control the blowoff' violent fermentation at <12 hours in.

Brewed this up yesterday. I collected 1gal too much wort for some reason even after a 90 minute boil. Ended up with 6gal at 1.092. I have a feeling my grain absorption rates need to be adjusted in beersmith. I've been overcollecting lately, but just not by this much.

Regardless, I'm satisfied with the result. 1 thing about this beer though- I made a stepped 3l starter and this thing absolutely exploded right off the bat. We're talking 'I needed to use a 5 gallon bucket just to control the blowoff' violent fermentation at <12 hours in.

Dynamite recipe. Not surprised the yeast are having a party.

I remember overcollecting this one too. These days I have a calibrated stick for my boil kettle so I can know ahead of time whether I need to boil longer. Made a huge difference for hitting my gravity targets.

-Rich

I have a sightglass kit in a box in the basement, but I'm waiting to install it. I can't wait to use it. Had I boiled off another .5 gallon, I think I'd have been spot on in terms of gravity.

Back