Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I bottled this today. Wow, better than I could have hoped for. Sweet with a nice burn. Bottled it in a liter swing top and pasteurized and...the whole bottle exploded. Needless to say, I've never been more upset about anything related to brewing.

Well I bottled this today. Wow, better than I could have hoped for. Sweet with a nice burn. Bottled it in a liter swing top and pasteurized and...the whole bottle exploded. Needless to say, I've never been more upset about anything related to brewing.

Wow that sucks... sorry to hear it man.

It's harvest day for the six experimental batches of rice wine today. Picture one is just prior to harvest. Picture two is what was yielded after harvest.

As you can see, only four of the six batches have been harvested. The wheat berries and the brown rice have failed to yield any useful amount of liquid. I'm going to leave them alone for another couple of weeks on the off chance they will do something.

Wheat Berries: Still waiting.
Brown Rice: Still waiting.
Basmati Rice: Reasonable liquid yield. About 1 3/4 inches of wine in the jar. It appears to be about a 50% conversion rate.
Long Grain White Rice: Horrible yield. About 1/2 of an inch of wine. Estimated conversion ratio, less then 25%.
Jasmine Rice: Good yield. About 2 inches of wine. Estimated conversion ratio, 65%.
Japanese Sweet Rice: Best yield. About 2 1/2 inches of wine. Estimated conversion ratio, 75%.

The yield of the Japanese sweet rice as compared to the jasmine rice is something of a surprise. The visible starch mass in the sweet rice was much larger just prior to harvest. While harvesting, it became evident that the structure inside of the sweet rice was almost entirely liquid.

At this point, I think I can say that making rice wine from long grain white rice, brow rice, or wheat berries is a waste of time. That is, unless some other process is used.

I will post again after tasting everything.

ricewine6-6preharves.JPG

ricewine6-7postharvest.JPG

Damn!! Good thing it's only 3 weeks until you have another finished batch. Hopefully you're OK. Let me know what you think of the Chinese Market when you go.

jak1010 said:
Damn!! Good thing it's only 3 weeks until you have another finished batch. Hopefully you're OK. Let me know what you think of the Chinese Market when you go.

Fortunately, myself and my two roommates were out of the kitchen. Found a chunk of glass about 10ft from the stove! Everyone is pretty mad since my roommates tasted it and loved it. Will be making my next batch Thursday after I pick up some of the RYR from the store. Thanks for the tip again and for everyone's condolences in this time of sorrow and loss

Yikes...next time just pasteurize the batch and transfer to clean/sanitized bottle. Might be safer, it is what I do.

Did you have the swing top sealed?

Fortunately, myself and my two roommates were out of the kitchen. Found a chunk of glass about 10ft from the stove! Everyone is pretty mad since my roommates tasted it and loved it. Will be making my next batch Thursday after I pick up some of the RYR from the store. Thanks for the tip again and for everyone's condolences in this time of sorrow and loss

I'm glad everybody is ok.

You might try putting the bottle in a cold pot of water with a rack in the bottom. Then heating the whole pot to your desired temp. That's what you do when you water bath can to keep the glass from getting thermal shock and shattering.

Here are the tasting notes. Interesting that they are so different.

Basmati Rice: Moderately sweet, moderately tangy, nice mouth feel, not to thick, very stongly alcoholic. Not bad, but I think I would serve it chilled to take the edge off the tang and the alcohol.

Long Grain White Rice: Very sweet, kinda tangy, almost gravy thick. The texture makes this a little bit gross.

Jasmine Rice: Moderately sweet, slightly tangy, floral aroma, excellent mouth feel, not to thick. Not as strong as the basmati. Very Good.

Japanese sweet rice: Mildly sweet, very mildly tangy, not overtly alcoholic, nice warmth though. Aroma is more fruity. Exceptionally smooth. This is my favorite.

Given the prices of the different kinds of rice, I think I will continue making rice wine with the originally recommended Jasmine rice. It's been an interesting experiment though.

Here's some things I picked up today. For anybody who's in the Denver area, I got all of it from:
Pacific Ocean International Supermarket
2200 W Alameda Avenue # 2B Denver, CO 80223‎
Alameda Square Shopping Center

They have moved things around in there a few times lately, remodeling. The yeast balls and red rice yeast are both in the same aisle as all the different kinds of sugar. I had to look a couple times before I found them though.

EDIT: I'm going to run a batch with the oolong tea in it. I'll add the dry tea from 2 tea bags to 1 1/2 cups rinsed and soaked dry rice. Then run everything through the rice cooker with a 1:1 water/rice ratio.

brewing supplies.jpg

Japanese sweet rice: Mildly sweet, very mildly tangy, not overtly alcoholic, nice warmth though. Aroma is more fruity. Exceptionally smooth. This is my favorite.

Given the prices of the different kinds of rice, I think I will continue making rice wine with the originally recommended Jasmine rice. It's been an interesting experiment though.

Glad to hear about the Japanese Sweet rice, I have some 11 days in now and looks like I'm getting a lot of liquid as well.

If the Japanese Sweet Rice is your favorite, I am curious why you will stick to making with Jasmine Rice still? Is the price (especially given these small quantities) that much different? I picked up the sweet rice for $5.99 at 5lbs but don't remember the 5lb jasmine being much cheaper.

Glad to hear about the Japanese Sweet rice, I have some 11 days in now and looks like I'm getting a lot of liquid as well.

If the Japanese Sweet Rice is your favorite, I am curious why you will stick to making with Jasmine Rice still? Is the price (especially given these small quantities) that much different? I picked up the sweet rice for $5.99 at 5lbs but don't remember the 5lb jasmine being much cheaper.
Price is the determining factor. I can get a 25lb bag of jasmine rice for 15$ at Sam's Club. I can only find the Japanese sweet rice in 5lb bags at the most, for 10$. That makes the jasmine rice 60 cents a pound, while the sweet rice is 2 dollars a pound. The finish and yield is a little better with the sweet rice, but not enough better to justify the difference in the cost for me.

Me too! Maybe everyone chip in a couple bucks somehow?

:eek:
Somebody else in this thread politely suggested I was misreading this as around 13%... I think he was right... I didn't want to exagerate, and besides, bakers yeast dies at 10-12%, right? Except I don't think it did.... Your opinions are welcome. I am not a good hydrometer userrerer.

20130330_214451.jpg

20130330_214501.jpg

That's a bit hard to read from the picture. It would appear to be reading 1.002. Have you been able to determine a starting gravity? That missing data point has been the main problem with determining the ABV.

Red rice wine and oolong tea.

redriceyeastandoolong.jpg

Alcometers are straight up one to a hundreed. This hydrometer system seems designed to be needlessly complicated...The og was just over zero...about 5 one side and 10 on the other. Remember, until the mold produces amylase, there is no sugar, it was just a measurement of the starchy water. This is why I have not much confidence in my measurements... the basic math would mean I had insane alcohol production, which I did, but not THAT insane. I know when the meter sinks that much on me usually, you're pushing 20%... completely sinks at about 25-26%, the white is gone under usually at around 22% ... I think you would have to have a rough idea how much of the starches in the rice are converted to sugars, in order to use standard measurement methods. It's beyond me. All I know for sure is, when my hydrometer sinks that much, I can get seriously Effed up off that. :D

Still tryin to get mine to clear after 2 wks half was and when I popped the cork-sploosh. CO2 build up mixed it up again. So it's sitting with seran wrap over so to constantly de gas. When it does clear ill get a alcometer reading on it for those that are curious. I think previous poster is close though prob 13%.
Anybody try filtering?

Yes, It keeps fermenting for a while so can kind of carb up. Pasteurization stops this i it bothers you. I kind of like it! lol

That looks pretty "gooey". What water to rice ratio did you use? I hope it turns out great for you but it seems like the people using high water content have had less success.

Well, I think it started with too long of a soak. I intended to only soak overnight, but I ran late to school the next morning so it pretty much got a full 24 hour soak. Next, for about 5 cups of rice I had about 8 cups of water (i guess i was too tired). The second batch got equal parts water to rice.

Since then things look great. the rice is now floating on top of a bunch of liquid.

Oddly enough, I made a second batch intended for dessert for my mom-in-law who happened to have childhood flashbacks when she saw I was making rice wine. This batch came out drier (more like steamed sticky rice) but I added the yeast when the rice was too hot to handle, even with nitrile gloves on. It was this most recent batch that ended up with white fuzzy mold with black spots. The first big batch just has some off white discoloration maybe a smidge of white mold that others are typically seeing.

I'm going to toss out the white/black fuzzy moldy one tomorrow. I think I killed the yeast and something else took over.

It's probably the type of rice more then anything. The Japanese sweet rice I used turned into a giant rice bogey. It was cooked with a 1:1 ratio. Though it was soaked beforehand too.

^That's what I used. My aunt recommended it. Apparently I used to eat this stuff for dessert a lot when I was a kid. Go figure.

hi all,
here is my latest effort, this is my 3rd batch,they were started on the 28th march and already a good build up of liquid, i intend to filter this lot all together into one or two bottles,
i used Asda/walmart sticky rice and 3 yeast balls, simple :)

ricewine.jpg

Yup yup. Real cinnamon stick. I'm going to grate some up and add it to the rice just before it goes into the cooker. The Oolong version is cooking now. :mug:

Just FYI on those cinnamon sticks. Its not the same cinnamon you'll find at the local albertson's. Lots of oils and therefore very spicy. I use it to make Pho and a little definitely goes a long way and I'm talking maybe an 1"-1.5" and not fully curled, maybe half-moon shaped if that makes sense.

Oh and thats in a huuuuuge pot of broth for like 12-15 servings of Pho

update on batch made with Green Tea...
Back on 3/6 I rinsed until water ran clear and then soaked 2 cups Jasmine rice & 2 cups Sweet Sushi rice in 4 cups of Jasmine Green tea, until I had a 1.5 times volume increase (ie expanded to 6 cups). The tea was prepared via traditional drinking style, though I use one teabag for every 6 ounces of water. The soaked, drained rice was then prepared in my Wolfgang Puck Rice Cooker using an additional 6 cups of green tea (1.5x the volume of dry rice). I ended up with 12 cups cooked rice. This was placed on a few cookie sheets lined with bamboo mats, covered with damp tea towels and allowed to cool to a minimum of body temp. Crushed/powdered 20 grams of yeast balls (2 balls) and sprinkled on top of cooled rice for equal distribution and then transferred rice to my 2 gallon glass cookie jar. Moved to my computer room and then covered with a dark sweatshirt. On 3/9 the rice had already collapsed by 50% and was covered in boozy liquid up to the top layer of rice. So, I threw caution to the wind and used the last rice in my pantry and prepared 3 more cups dry Jasmine rice via the same method, and I then stirred it into the 'rice must' after it had cooled; no additional yeast added. Takes total cooked rice used to 21 cups.
I stirred this every 3 days for the first week, then left it alone. I would check it intermittently by just looking thru glass lid. No airlock was used, no black mold, and I could see sporadic fine fuzzy white spiderwebs throughout the must. This was harvested on Day21, 3/27.
I used two 5-gallon nylon mesh straining bags (layered one inside the other, medium mesh as the inner bag, fine mesh as outside bag) and lined a fresh 2 gallon glass jar with the bags & simply poured the rice must into bag. I twisted the residual material at the top of bags, like you would a bread bag, and closed with a rubber band. I then started 'milking' the bag with my Dove soap clean/k-meta spritzed hands, applying alternate pressure from top of bag down, as you would when milking a farm animal (yes, grew up on a farm). Took about five minutes to express all the rice wine and I ended up with 1.5L of dry lees in straining bag and had 3.25L of rice wine.

It was a super light tan color (due to tea use), and opaque/cloudy, had a great aroma, classic Jasmine even more so due to use of Jasmine Green tea, it had little sweetness, was not sour or tangy by any means and had a definite, but smooth, alcohol heat after sampling. I opted to backsweeten with a Jasmine Green Tea simple syrup, using tea in place of water.
I used cobalt blue 750ml bottles. I did not even think of taking pictures, but am pleased to note that every cold drop was consumed the following evening (when we attended my brother-in-law's retirement ceremony/party after serving 22 years on the police force--first job he took after graduation from college). I ended up bringing an assortment, three cases total, not one bottle left....everyone had a great time. I think I will be making the green tea rice wine again.
**cleaned with PBW, sanitized with k-meta**

Still tryin to get mine to clear after 2 wks half was and when I popped the cork-sploosh. CO2 build up mixed it up again. So it's sitting with seran wrap over so to constantly de gas. When it does clear ill get a alcometer reading on it for those that are curious. I think previous poster is close though prob 13%.
Anybody try filtering?

I filtered and cleared my last batch cold crashing and coffee filter. It looks great after backsweetening. Compared to unfiltered is a thinner mouthfeel but crystal clear.I believe there is picture of my cleared one a page or so before this.

48 hrs after starting my batch using local japanese glutinous rice, koji from the supermarket and redstar champagne yeast I harvested 1.5 litres of quite alcoholic wine. It isn't sweet anymore but it isn't harsh either. Very drinkable! Coldcrashing now. I had almost no rice leftover after squeezing it in my cheesecloth, maybe just 150 grams. Can't believe it took only 48 hrs!!

sonofgrok said:
Someone has to be a chemist with access to a gas chromatographer. I have access to a GC but unfortunately it isn't really mine so only for official lab work lol.

I have been considering it for my next batch since I operate two in my lab. It will be a matter of getting some down time to try it.

Here she is tonight, 4 days later. Nice fluid development, white mold formed on top, rice solids floating on the liquid. I've been letting her wrapped inside of a brown grocery bag on top of the refrigerator.

ForumRunner_20130402_200211.png

I was misinformed, and in turn I misinformed You..... :eek: Earlier I said that Red Yeast Rice didn't actually contain any yeast. I was wrong. Apparently, Monascus Purpureas Is itself in fact a strain of Yeast.
Monascus Pupureas Went Yeast. Sooo... That's Different. Apologies for sayin stuff I only thought I knew.
Here's a reference.
http://www.biyotekder.hacettepe.edu.tr/f.pdf

Has anyone tried crashing this in a freezer til ice forms, then skimming out the ice and racking into another container? Its a trick used in "Accidental" Cider making to improve Clarity and boosting the ABV by removing solid ice and leaving more of the Alcohol behind. I just stumbled upon this Thread this morning and haven't had a chance to make any yet.

I was misinformed, and in turn I misinformed You..... :eek: Earlier I said that Red Yeast Rice didn't actually contain any yeast. I was wrong. Apparently, Monascus Purpureas Is itself in fact a strain of Yeast.
Monascus Pupureas Went Yeast. Sooo... That's Different. Apologies for sayin stuff I only thought I knew.
Here's a reference.
http://www.biyotekder.hacettepe.edu.tr/f.pdf

That's good to know...I made two batches. One the method from the original post and one described by saramc with the RYR and golf ball method. Both are one week in and look great.

I only used a small portion of the RYR and the rest is still in the bag not very protected from much. Since this stuff is added later in the process, should I be concerned about getting infections in future batches?

Has anyone tried crashing this in a freezer til ice forms, then skimming out the ice and racking into another container? Its a trick used in "Accidental" Cider making to improve Clarity and boosting the ABV by removing solid ice and leaving more of the Alcohol behind. I just stumbled upon this Thread this morning and haven't had a chance to make any yet.
If you want to freeze distill it, put it into plastic water jugs and freeze it solid. Then thaw it out upside down over a collection container. The first stuff to melt and drip out will be your ethanol. You can let as much or as little as you want of the other stuff into your collection container.

I thought Monascus Purureas was the mold that broke down starches and Monascus Pileus was the mold that broke down sugars (IE reacted like a yeast). Both should be present in RYR. Also, the latter one is very slow. I thought that was the reasoning behind adding another yeast?

I read a lot of articles on monascus, some of them really obscure, before I found the article I referenced, which said it was a strain of yeast. I didn't find anything about the pileus, but I wasn't looking. Aren't molds fungus, like yeast is?
Edit- looked it up, all molds are fungi, but not all fungi are molds.

So... just an FYI. I have a beautiful batch going right now. At one week, It still looked dry (patience people). Week two it is just about perfect. Nice cap with white mold spores. Very very good looking liquid buildup about 3/4 up the way up the rice. It is looking quite delicious.

Brew it... leave it alone... then enjoy it. All this opening and smelling and stirring and worrying business is very much uncalled for. ;) I can't wait to drink this batch.

Back