Any other recent/to be new Dads?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 2.5 year old assistant brewer. He's great. My beer intake didn't suffer after he was born but i was on a brewing hiatus then.

Just tell the mother that beers, especially hoppy ones, help with breastmilk production and you'll have her on board for you to brew her a "mothers little helper"!

First off congratulations! I have 2 young kids a 2 year old and a 8 month old. I was in the same predicament. I thought my brewing days were numbered. I found night brewing was the way to go. There in bed by 8 and my wife at that point could care less what I'm doing in the garage at that point.
Midnight Brewers United!!!

Congrats! Intake hasn't changed much but output has diminished as has gear modifications. Kids are great, i just wish there was more time in the day to do both!

BTW, I'm a SAHD (stay at home dad). Any others?

-Cheers, Kurt

yup, I do the SAHD thing here. My wife always had the better job so it just made sense for me to stay home. I do still work part time on weekends and the occasional weeknight, but my primary job is child wrangling.

yup, I do the SAHD thing here. My wife always had the better job so it just made sense for me to stay home. I do still work part time on weekends and the occasional weeknight, but my primary job is child wrangling.

Sweet! It's a growing "trend", especially with the cost of daycare.

I'm currently doing the stay at home dad business with my little guy, while waiting on the police academy to start. It's actually great to spend so much time with him now.

Congrats on your new addition to the family! We've got a 2.5 y.o. son and 10 month twins (boy/girl). It's been maybe 1.5 years since I've brewed, but we threw in a move in between births just to add to the stress level. If it weren't for the packing/unpacking, etc that was involved with the move, it may not have been so long. I do miss the brewing, but I wouldn't change a thing! I am moving closer to having my setup back in place for future brews and am looking forward to it in the near future.

So, you had 3 kids in diapers, and moved. You poor bastard! :)

When to brew?
Yesterday I brewed two batches, overlapping. I started when my son went down for his nap, and my wife came home an hour later. She took care of him the rest of the day, so I got a nice break from the fatherly duties. It was nice to hang out in the garage for 7hrs with football on the TV, and a bit of Brewing Network on at the end. I probably should have rolled up the hose and brought it in the garage when I was done....it's frozen to the ground now... LOL!

Congrats on the new addition. My wife and I have almost 5 month old boy/girl twins. Had one good brew day since they were born, but it was 2 - 10 gal batches so supply hasn't been an issue. Speaking of which, I've got some 2-row just begging to be milled.

Baby boy is almost 10 months old. Consumption had taken I nose dive...which isn't helping my "one new beer a day" challenge. Brewing is spotty at best, then again a week off from work used to mean 5+ batches so I guess I can't complain. I brew around holidays, special events, or when the wifey takes off for some play date. Nothing like it was, but it never is with kids...all for the better:

photo.jpg

I have a 14 month old lil dude, and another on the way. Beer intake has gone WAY down, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. I just started home brewing after the wife got me a brewers best starter kit for xmas. I don't think she had any idea what kind of monster she would create but the damage is done. our lil man can't say many words, but beer is one of them, or "beh" as he says it while pointing to the carboy. Anyway, I don't think the wife realized what a great gift this would be. If I can't drink in quantity anymore, at least I'll drink quality!

Gduck said:

Another SAHD HERE!! I don't see anything wrong with being one either!!! I have a 3 going on 30 year old!!! Lol!!! Even though I'm only on my first brew, he keeps asking me to make chocolate beer!! Lol!! I've brought home Rouge Double Chocolate Stout!! Not to change the subject, anyone have a clone recipe for it!! Lol!!!

Baby boy is almost 10 months old. Consumption had taken I nose dive...which isn't helping my "one new beer a day" challenge. Brewing is spotty at best, then again a week off from work used to mean 5+ batches so I guess I can't complain. I brew around holidays, special events, or when the wifey takes off for some play date. Nothing like it was, but it never is with kids...all for the better:

That is an awesome pic! Pretty sure that is what I look like most days at work.

The Wife is currently 6 months pregnant with #4, a girl due in May.Can't wait to meet her. My son and I are severely outnumbered, even the Dog is a girl:D...

Also a SAHD...I just have a little side business, that seems to be growing.

We just had our first child in July. She is 6 months old. They will definitely change your view on life, that is for sure.

My three year old boy and five year old girl love tohelp. I'm a single dad, so we crank some rock and roll and have a good time. They get me distracted sometimes, but I love having them there.

They have both tasted beer. My girl goes around saying "beer is good"! Can't wait till she says that at school. I didn't tell her to keep her mouth shut, because I didn't want her to think it was a big deal.
My kids are so rock and rock. They are awesome.

2 year old. I average 5 gallons brewed per month. Some of my tips are schedule in advance with your significant other, do a double brewday on father's day and possibly your birthday. Also, setup the night before and start real early in the day. Good luck, I just got vomited on last night at 12:30. Not new born vomit.. Two year old :( I love being a dad, don't regret it ever. I just know he'll want to help at some point.

They have both tasted beer. My girl goes around saying "beer is good"! Can't wait till she says that at school. I didn't tell her to keep her mouth shut, because I didn't want her to think it was a big deal.

My parents let me taste beer at that age and let me drink half-pints around the age of 10 on up during special occasions. Unlike a lot of my peers I have never had issues with DUIs or alcoholism.

I learned and I was taught from a very young age that beer can be responsibly consumed at a certain threshold and enjoyed like any beverage... Drinking a beer or two at most during mealtime is a normal thing. Drinking a glass of water or iced tea at mealtime is a normal thing. Drinking 5 beers or 5 iced teas or glasses of water at mealtime is sorta weird. Don't do it.. Duh. That is the essence of moderation and that is why we have such an epidemic of BINGE drinking in the United States. Drinking that much of ANYTHING is really, really dumb and unhealthy.

As far as hard alcohol is concerned it was approached as something consumed only during special and rare occasions. I think that is a different topic from what I was getting at and because I really don't drink hard alcohol at all I'm probably not the best person to espouse it's responsible consumption.

kpr121 said:
My wife is 39+ weeks and is ready for our boy to make his appearance. I can't wait to meet him and to become a dad!

Any other recent or to be daddy's (or mommys even) here? How have you adjusted? Beer intake suffering?

Babies and toddlers don't understand hangovers, that being said I don't drink a drop of beer when on daddy day care duty... Otherwise I can brew whenever I want, and we do group brews at my house pretty regularly, my kids love the extra house guests.... Aged 4 & 1 ... The 4 year old loves to color the capped bottles with her markers

Well he's a little over a week old today, and swmbo already let me brew on Saturday! 15 gallons of miller lite clone (figured a lower abv beer would be good to still get a taste of homebrew).

Its funny how all dignity was lost when he came... now my wife's and my idea of a "nightcap" is us both sipping on an IPA (i read somewhere, maybe here, that hoppy beers are good for breast milk, my wife enjoys that!) while she is pumping her breasts and I'm sitting in the recliner, spit-up on my shirt, and rocking my baby to sleep.

It is freaking awesome though!

My parents let me taste beer at that age and let me drink half-pints around the age of 10 on up during special occasions. Unlike a lot of my peers I have never had issues with DUIs or alcoholism.

I learned and I was taught from a very young age that beer can be responsibly consumed at a certain threshold and enjoyed like any beverage... Drinking a beer or two at most during mealtime is a normal thing. Drinking a glass of water or iced tea at mealtime is a normal thing. Drinking 5 beers or 5 iced teas or glasses of water at mealtime is sorta weird. Don't do it.. Duh. That is the essence of moderation and that is why we have such an epidemic of BINGE drinking in the United States. Drinking that much of ANYTHING is really, really dumb and unhealthy.

As far as hard alcohol is concerned it was approached as something consumed only during special and rare occasions. I think that is a different topic from what I was getting at and because I really don't drink hard alcohol at all I'm probably not the best person to espouse it's responsible consumption.

Seems reasonable. Regarding liquor, while my kids have noticed daddy drinks beer with regularity, it is only on rare occasions he has a whisky or two.

I figure your example will go further than your words ever will. They have never seen me drunk. I have told my daughter that things can go very badly veey quickly if you drink to much alcohol.

Wife is 12 weeks. I vacillate between totally excited and terrified :)

Good call on filling up the pipeline. 10 gal double batch days from here out.

Well he's a little over a week old today, and swmbo already let me brew on Saturday! 15 gallons of miller lite clone (figured a lower abv beer would be good to still get a taste of homebrew).

Its funny how all dignity was lost when he came... now my wife's and my idea of a "nightcap" is us both sipping on an IPA (i read somewhere, maybe here, that hoppy beers are good for breast milk, my wife enjoys that!) while she is pumping her breasts and I'm sitting in the recliner, spit-up on my shirt, and rocking my baby to sleep.

Couldn't agree more. Congrats on what sounds like a good adjustment to the insanity of early parenthood.

I remember taking my son home, walking in, setting his carrier down on the kitchen counter, and having this overwhelming feeling of "WTF do I do now?! Why would they let me just walk out of the hospital?! What do I do for the next 18 years?"

lol

Other than an initial celebratory "I'm home from the hospital with my son" beer, I don't think I had one for 2-3 weeks. Far too exhausted.

You'll settle in, establish routines as best as you can and you'll adjust to operating to little to no sleep.

This is a great thread that has started. Time for more pictures though!

My son, Ryder, 20 months. Yes, he's hitting the "terrible two's"...this is gonna be fun :(

IMG_0067-L.jpg

Other than an initial celebratory "I'm home from the hospital with my son" beer.. .

My father-in-law/brewing partner brought me a growler of homebrew and some cups to the hospital that night. :)

Six months later, Pike has already got his kindergarten "deny everything" look down pat.

Teacher- "excuse me, did you just say you brew beer?"
IMG_0287.jpg

Sing it brother:D

here's my 3+ month old Diva Evie

I haven't brewed since before she was born but mostly because I just haven't motivated myself

diva.jpg

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories/pictures!

Although I am only telling the wife about you guys who are still brewing.... everyone else doesnt exist to her other than the pictures!

64030_4656859612073_2028582255_n.jpg

Here is my little helper brewing her own beer with Daddy. That's her steinbeer with a rock in it. (Note the burner is off; so I still retain my Father of the Year award.)

My wife is 39+ weeks and is ready for our boy to make his appearance. I can't wait to meet him and to become a dad!

Any other recent or to be daddy's (or mommys even) here? How have you adjusted? Beer intake suffering?

Absolutely not. It's about priorities. Beer came before kids, therefore beer comes first. I had hopes that my son would be the beer protege. But that has not come to fruition. Now, I have a daughter. She is the next hope. My retirement plan is for her to learn to make great beer, marry a dentist who invents some sort of multibillion dollar implant device, and then I'm set for life.

64030_4656859612073_2028582255_n.jpg

Here is my little helper brewing her own beer with Daddy. That's her steinbeer with a rock in it. (Note the burner is off; so I still retain my Father of the Year award.)

WTF? Get her an oil barrel full of oily rags or an old Coleman camp stove.

Absolutely not. It's about priorities. Beer came before kids, therefore beer comes first. I had hopes that my son would be the beer protege. But that has not come to fruition. Now, I have a daughter. She is the next hope. My retirement plan is for her to learn to make great beer, marry a dentist who invents some sort of multibillion dollar implant device, and then I'm set for life.

LOL!!! Good luck with that. :)

I have a 16 month old son. He has yet to join me in a brewing session but he goes nuts by the smell of hops for some reason. IPA lover in the making.

Back