Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our dachshund. She's got a Korean outfit on in the 2nd pic.

jolie.jpg

Joli in a hanbok.jpg

Been a rough year. Lost one of my greyhounds last spring and the replacement didn't work out. Fey went back to Oregon Greyhound adoption and someone else adopted her. November, we got a shepard-mix, who had just weaned her pups. All three of our males accepted her. A week later, Baby (a toy poodle) was diagnosed with diabetes. Plus, he had liver problems and was going blind. We started giving him insulin shots. Less than a month later, Kellie took him to the emergency vet because he was refusing to eat. It looked like low blood sugar, but the test came back "off the scale high". They also said he was completely blind. We decided it was time to let go. Kellie got Baby when he was 9 weeks old and had him for over 14 years. So, after spending over $3000 in a year on vet bills for Baby, we put him down two weeks ago.

I'd post some pictures, but my old links are N/G.

My dog Kalli, she is a boxer/border collie mix. First picture is the first week we had her, and the second is her now with SWMBO.

540.jpg

IMAG0152.jpg

image-2428912712.jpg

The two wild animals that inhabit my home. They're both some sort of pitbull mixes, and of course they're both rescues.

Attachments

• image-4184375828.jpg
    image-4184375828.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 323
egravy81 said:
Is that a collar or a necklace?

Haha, that was a bolo. My buddy was having a Bowie birthday party at a dog friendly ice house , so not be left out the wife put a bolo on our little southern belle.

dangerpony said:
The two wild animals that inhabit my home. They're both some sort of pitbull mixes, and of course they're both rescues.

Love pitties. Best breed, super sweet natured.

Yeah they really are. Too bad most people are ignorant and just assume they're all vicious fighting dogs.

I used to defend pits until I was blue in the face but then a "super sweet natured" one took a disliking to my special ed little brother and tried to rip out his throat. It took 3 grown men to get the dog off of him. Permanent damage. I love all dogs but will never look at a pit the same again and will ALWAYS be cautious around one.

Bwood1377 said:
My baby girl, Sierra (Bernese Mountain Dog)

Beautiful pup, man. One of my favorite breeds. It is a shame they have such a short life expectancy, that's the only reason I was deterred from getting one.

This dog was a hunter and my best friend. I hunted over him in sub-0 temps and he never got cold, he would take a goose out like he was born to do it. I was leaving for work at 4:30am and he ran into the people robbing the house next to me, he switched to kill mode. I've wanted another dog since he passed, but I miss him too much.

14555_105964622748514_2587875_n.jpg

20758_106365439375099_2574739_n.jpg

My ridgeback Tonks. First picture is this winter, and the second was this last summer in Michigan's upper peninsula.

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

Beautiful pup, man. One of my favorite breeds. It is a shame they have such a short life expectancy, that's the only reason I was deterred from getting one.

Thanks. Yes, unfortunately this is true but like my father says at least we know that we've given her the best life she can possibly have because who knows where she could've ended up. I've actually had big dogs all my life and we've averaged anywhere from 10 - 12 years and have heard of some Berners reaching that, so we're hopeful.

sonofgrok said:
I used to defend pits until I was blue in the face but then a "super sweet natured" one took a disliking to my special ed little brother and tried to rip out his throat. It took 3 grown men to get the dog off of him. Permanent damage. I love all dogs but will never look at a pit the same again and will ALWAYS be cautious around one.

Yeah you can't judge a whole breed by one dog though. I've watched my 1 year old niece pull on their tails, hit and even bite both of my dogs and they only lick her.

Yeah you can't judge a whole breed by one dog though. I've watched my 1 year old niece pull on their tails, hit and even bite both of my dogs and they only lick her.

There are indeed peaceful ones, and most won't even ever harm anybody. But the statistics make it pretty clear that the breed as a whole is still far more aggressive and more dangerous than the average dog.

NivekD said:
This is Ruby in her "I'm such a pretty girl" pose...really, she's a PITA...but we lover her.

This is my Ruby. She's also a PITA but I love her too

image-144807386.jpg

emjay said:
There are indeed peaceful ones, and most won't even ever harm anybody. But the statistics make it pretty clear that the breed as a whole is still far more aggressive and more dangerous than the average dog.

Yeah of course they are more dangerous than the average dog, that's just their anatomy. Any vicious or aggressive dog is directly related to their owner. If any dog is not properly trained or is mistreated it can be vicious or aggressive. There's no bad dogs just bad owners. Unfortunately the breeds reputation attracts ignorant owners which leads to aggressive dogs.

This dog was a hunter and my best friend. I hunted over him in sub-0 temps and he never got cold, he would take a goose out like he was born to do it. I was leaving for work at 4:30am and he ran into the people robbing the house next to me, he switched to kill mode. I've wanted another dog since he passed, but I miss him too much.

So sorry to hear about your dog, but what a great friend and protector you had! I know the pain too. We lost our 11 year old border collie a couple of weeks before Christmas. She was acting kinda weird at night, so we took her into the vet thinking she had some tummy issues. Turns out her heart was double its normal size and hardly pumping any blood. We had to put her down that night.

I was surprised at how hard it was/is. I can't think about another dog yet either, it'll be 6 months or more easily. I still wake up at night sometimes wondering where she is.

Molly with Sea Legs.jpg

We have friends who have an ankle-biter. This dog has bit multiple people, however it has not been put down because it is "cute" and "cuddly" yet the dog is truly a menace, and it's owners are weak-willed people who will not take the action required to correct the dog.

However, my rescue Ruby, is a sweetie pie. The shame of it, is that even without any previous history of biting someone she is viewed more dangerous than a dog that has already BIT people. The only difference is, if she bit someone she would do ton more damage.

CIMG5980.JPG

emjay said:

When you raise the dog to fight, that will be the case. You could also say that MMA fighters will statistically get in more fights than other citizens.

Today is my dog Vanna's 9th birthday. She's the white one. Best dog I have ever had, and I've had them all my life. She's smart, obedient, and faithful. Am I giving her a present? yes, there will be a nice piece of brisket in her dog bowl tonight;)

image-1480632370.jpg

Here are my two monsters, both my best friends, great dane thinks she is a lap dog and shepherd isn't one to be a snuggler but is always at my side.

2011-12-02 18.39.19.jpg

2011-12-09 16.05.46.jpg

Back