Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only good thing about living in Ottawa is that we're right across the river from Quebec.

I've been to Vegas, so I've learned that there are 2 kinds of "nudie bars" there. 1) the kind that takes off their top, but keeps their bottoms on, and is allowed to serve alcohol, and b) the kind that gets totally naked, but isn't allowed to serve alcohol (seriously???)

Here in Ottawa, we have strip bars that get totally naked (with champagne rooms/lap dances), AND serve alcohol, but lap dances are $20 each. However, right across the river, in Quebec, the drinking age is 18, the dancers get totaly naked, they serve alcohol, and lap dances are $10.

Why isn't every 18 year old US male taking a trip to Quebec??? :)

Palamino's in Vegas is all-nude and they serve alcohol. They were around before the laws changed and got grandfathered in.

Me,my dad & my bro & friends couldn't wait for the time of year the Stroh's bock came around again. Man,that stuff was good. Even Pizza Hut had pitchers on tap,so after a large pizza,we'd all split 3-4 pitchers of it. Good times.:mug:

Stroh's... my grandfather's favorite

until he switched to Buckeye Ale

(yes... Toledo)

what my aunts and uncles are telling me and that it was different than Buckeye Beer. I don't remember the Ale, but I do remember Buckeye Beer; it was your typical American Lager.

Buckeye Brewing made Buckeye, Meister Brau & Meister Brau Lite, all were bought by Miller. They stopped making Buckeye and Meister Brau Lite became Miller Lite.

"Because it's legal to lie in the states. In Europe and the rest of the world they aren't allowed to call it BEER, they have to call it malt beverage like Zima and most wine coolers. So you're basically drinking a wine cooler. Enjoy your Zima, and you sir (pointing to his father), enjoy that BEER."

The whole table laughed at him. The server asked me if that was true about Europe.

"I don't think so, but it's true to him right now."
As far as I know, if you were producing it in Germany, you wouldn't be able to call it beer because it contains rice. It's OK for imports to be called beer, even if a German brewer would not be able to call it that.

That said, nobody ridicules the purity law more than German home brewers. If it was after the original purity law from the 1500s, you wouldn't be allowed to make Hefeweizen, because it only allows barley, hops and water, and excludes yeast (Hefe) or wheat (Weizen).

It excluded yeast because they didn't understand what was fermenting there beer. Just how to get it to jump start. Or krausening. It wasn't until pasteur came along that all became clearer.

dale1038 said:
In Utah, all liquor is state measured for a 1 ounce poor. Drinks are weak and you can't order a double mixed drink. But you can order a sidecar. They bring you an extra shot in a shot glass, and you just dump it in your drink.

I read this a while back and found it completely baffling.

www.nytimes.com/2011/07/20/us/20liquor.html?_r=0

Of course, people think we here in Wisconsin have some looney alcohol laws (underage kids can drink in a bar with a parent/guardian, an underage person can drink in a bar with his/her of-age spouse, etc.)

I always get a kick out of people thinking that you can "skunk" a beer by letting it warm up if it's been cold. I always go on to explain that it has to do with light and not temp but that's where I stop.

Also, it always cracks me up that people don't understand the difference between Ales and Lagers. Most people I've talked to actually think that lagers are "heavier" or something to that effect.

I recently asked a friend what kind of beer he prefered and we could brew some so he could see the brewing process his reply was: "My favorite beer is smirnoff ice, its really good over ice. I also like those beers that taste like sweet tea."

I tried to explain to him that these werent really beers, but i dont think I changed his mind. :( I really wanted to tell him to grow some balls and at least drink a budwieser haha

I recently asked a friend what kind of beer he prefered and we could brew some so he could see the brewing process his reply was: "My favorite beer is smirnoff ice, its really good over ice. I also like those beers that taste like sweet tea."

I tried to explain to him that these werent really beers, but i dont think I changed his mind. :( I really wanted to tell him to grow some balls and at least drink a budwieser haha

I thought people only drank those because they got "iced"...

slap him & hand him a Dopplebock and state very sternly, "This is a beer."

I had friend who exclusively drank Smirnoff Ice and that sort of thing, so I gave him my apfelwein to try, since he liked sweeter drinks. He loved it, but didn't know what apfelwein was. I didn't get back to explain that it was 11% alcohol until he'd downed three...

I had friend who exclusively drank Smirnoff Ice and that sort of thing, so I gave him my apfelwein to try, since he liked sweeter drinks. He loved it, but didn't know what apfelwein was. I didn't get back to explain that it was 11% alcohol until he'd downed three...

I gave him some graf granted its not a beer per say but atleast its homemade. He liked it but he said it was a little too hoppy...

Recently I was at a Longhorn Steakhouse and the only beer on the menu I felt was worth ordering was Sierra Nevada. So I asked the waitress, "What Sierra Nevada do you have?" to which she replied, "The pale ale... the IPA." I got all excited thinking maybe they had Torpedo. So I asked, "Which is it, the pale ale or the IPA?" She says, "They're the same." SWMBO gave me that look she gives me when she knows I want to explain the finer points that differentiate a pale ale from an IPA, or anything about beer when a server says something inaccurate about beer. So I just said, "OK, I'll have that." I need to go out with my beer friends more often so I won't be shunned for being a beer geek and wigging out on a server who doesn't know **** about the product they're peddling.

graf is mostly apple juice. In a five gallon batch one gallon is wort boiled with .5 ounces of hops and the other 4 is apple juice so not quite no hops but definatley not "hoppy":D

At work today I was talking to buddy about chocolate stout and this one kid said "Choclate in a beer, that disgusting." I know this kid is a BMC drinking but I tried to explain to anyway. I don't think it worked.

At work today I was talking to buddy about chocolate stout and this one kid said "Choclate in a beer, that disgusting." I know this kid is a BMC drinking but I tried to explain to anyway. I don't think it worked.

no matter how you explain it, their mental picture is Hershey's syrup in a mug/bottle of their favorite BMC Light. I've tried & tried to no avail.

Recently I was at a Longhorn Steakhouse and the only beer on the menu I felt was worth ordering was Sierra Nevada. So I asked the waitress, "What Sierra Nevada do you have?" to which she replied, "The pale ale... the IPA." I got all excited thinking maybe they had Torpedo. So I asked, "Which is it, the pale ale or the IPA?" She says, "They're the same." SWMBO gave me that look she gives me when she knows I want to explain the finer points that differentiate a pale ale from an IPA, or anything about beer when a server says something inaccurate about beer. So I just said, "OK, I'll have that." I need to go out with my beer friends more often so I won't be shunned for being a beer geek and wigging out on a server who doesn't know **** about the product they're peddling.

Meh... this is actually understandable if you ask me. If the menu has nothing worth ordering besides Sierra Nevada, I always assume it's the pale ale. Further, the pale ale and torpedo are both green labeled hoppy beers. Hard to differentiate if you aren't a beer nerd. Plus, if you said both names, they both have "pale ale" in them.

Even I've been known to grab one when I was looking for the other in the store.

And where have you ever seen Torpedo on tap that wasn't a beer bar. SNPA is a pretty standard offering in a sea of BMC taps (along with whatever Sam's Seasonal is in season)

The logical assumption would be that it is the Pale Ale.

My first time into an area taphouse with 70+craft beers beers on tap, we sit down, and the server takes our orders. I asked what he had in the way of Imperial IPA's. Puzzled, he said "hold on let me go check".
He comes back and says "sorry, we don't have anything like that." At this point I say, "sorry, I probably should have said Double IPA". Again he says "no, nothing like that".

"Alright then", I said, "what DO you have for IPA's?" First thing out of his mouth, "Firestone Walker Double Jack..."

DOH!

He did totally redeem himself though. My wife wanted a black and tan. He suggested a Youngs Double Chocolate stout with a Seadog BluePaw Blueberry Wheat. The Seadog on it's own is nothing special IMO, but paired in this way was fantastic.

And where have you ever seen Torpedo on tap that wasn't a beer bar. SNPA is a pretty standard offering in a sea of BMC taps (along with whatever Sam's Seasonal is in season)

The logical assumption would be that it is the Pale Ale.

Nowhere, and that's why I got all excited. I did assume it was the pale ale, but I hate making assumptions, regardless of how likely it is they're correct.

nukebrewer said:
Nowhere, and that's why I got all excited. I did assume it was the pale ale, but I hate making assumptions, regardless of how likely it is they're correct.

I typically choose my restaurants for the beer and not the food, but on the off chance that I do the opposite, I keep my expectations incredibly low. I wouldn't expect a steakhouse to care about beer as long as they have BMC, and wouldn't expect the servers to know anything about it.

My dentist today: "I like wheat beers!"
Me: "Oh well I just finished a dark wheat, known as a dunkelweizen."
Her: "What's that like?"
Me: "A dark hefeweizen."
Her: "Oh I don't like those, too heavy."
Me: *confused look*
Her: "Oh wait no I don't like Hoegaarden. That's too strong."

I was buying a Green Flash 4 pack of witbier which was $14. The check out clerk commented the high price was due to a high alcohol content. It was actually 4.7% ABV. But she had a point. If not based in reality, then based on consumer perspective it is assumed that the value of beer can be measured by the alcohol content.

I was buying a Green Flash 4 pack of witbier which was $14. The check out clerk commented the high price was due to a high alcohol content. It was actually 4.7% ABV. But she had a point. If not based in reality, then based on consumer perspective it is assumed that the value of beer can be measured by the alcohol content.

Well the more malt/adjuncts the higher the abv and cost to brew, so that does make some sense.

pm5k00 said:
Well the more malt/adjuncts the higher the abv and cost to brew, so that does make some sense.

Not if you understand economics. The price to make something has nothing to do with its value. If it did, brewers would be brewing saffron beer and we'd pay $1000 a 6-pack for it.

Back