1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I'm almost ready to start my first batch (thanks for the opinions on my conversion math!) but I had one more quick question for y'all. What would everyone say their typical grain bill/ingredient cost is for these micro batches? I've got a list of everything else I need equipment-wise, but I'm really trying to be super careful with cash right now so I want to get an idea of what I'll be getting into for the consumables, especially when I start really getting the hang of things and brewing on the regular.

Once again, you folks are great! So happy to have found this thread, and the forum in general. :ban:

i figure it to be just a touch below $15 per batch (gallon), based on the fractions and partial costs for things like yeast, etc... also adding in the local sales taxes, etc.

I have learned to by large bags of stuff, and plan my batches to use similar ingredients, in sequence, to save a few pennies, but that's just about where the price per batch is.

i figure it to be just a touch below $15 per batch (gallon), based on the fractions and partial costs for things like yeast, etc... also adding in the local sales taxes, etc.

I have learned to by large bags of stuff, and plan my batches to use similar ingredients, in sequence, to save a few pennies, but that's just about where the price per batch is.

That seems like a lot. I've done a few small batches of cider and they usually come out between 5 and 6. A little more if you want premium cider as a base, instead of apple juice. I can't really comment on beer, I've never made any.

I do buy a lot of things in larger quantities so the fractional costs are lower, but here's a list of some of the fractional costs for the stuff I've used for brewing lately.

great value pink grapefruit juice 46oz 1.72/ea
grapefruit perrier 750ml 1.50/ea
sugar .56/lb
yeast nutrient .11/tsp
yeast energizer .17/tsp
pectin enzyme .14/tsp
Bentonite .06/tsp
Distillers yeast .03/gram
Tea bag .0125/bag
Cinnamon sticks .09/stick
Fresh applecider Seiglers honey crisp blend 5.98/gallon
Great Value 100% apple juice 2.00/2 quart
Ground Cinnamon .24/oz
Ground Cloves .27/oz
Ground Nutmeg .57/oz
Strawberries in light syrup pampa 15oz 1.00/can

A typical recipe for 1 gallon would be about like this;
3 quarts apple juice = 3.00
2 lb sugar = 1.12
1 tsp yeast nutrient = .11
1/2 tsp yeast energizer = .09
1/2 tsp pectin enzyme = .07
4 grams distillers yeast = .12
4 tea bags, in secondary = .05
1 cinnamon stick, in secondary = .09
1/16 tsp nutmeg, in secondary = ....uh... maybe .05, probably less.

All of that comes out to $4.70.

Well bully freaking good for you.....

I don't recall this thread being a "give me your opinion on 1 gallon batch thread." It's for people who ACTUALLY do it. And SUPPORT each other in doing so.

No one really gives a flying frig about your opinion on the matter. ....Who really cares how you "see" it. We don't even know who the **** you are. Go piss in your own sandbox.

:rolleyes:

Classy and positive as usual Revvy..... :rolleyes:

im at about 6 dollars a gallon. that includes overpriced grain from the brew store pre crushed and 3 dollar a ounce hops and i split a packet of dry yeast 3 ways.

when i start getting everything together it will cost less but as of now im trying to figure out everything i need. When i use liquid yeast ill brew 2 beers that use the same style yeast and brew them closer together

I think at income tax time im finally gonna spring for a grinder, 50lb bag of 2 row, 10 lbs bags of my favorite crystal, and a good bit of hops and other malts. Should come to just under 200 bucks after shipping but should keep my pipeline full for a year +
Compared to 20+ bucks a moth for crap beer, im making prolly a 60-80 savings a year double that if I buy the comercail beer I actually like

why cant you live closer we could split larger bags of grain:tank:

I have 30+ pounds of 2 row and its going to be a while to get through it.

I typically reuse yeast a lot and I don't make hoppy beers too much so I can roll out a beer around $3-4 per gallon in the ingredients and another $2-3 in distilled water since I now just build my water profile from scratch.

here is a clone on oso brewings hop whoopin, Its a smash using 2 row and summit hops. some one asked me to clone it and i think it may be the easiest clone ever from what ive read. I have them bringing me a 4 pack next week.

OSO Hop Whoopin clone
Imperial IPA
Type: All Grain Date: 11/11/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 1.00 gal Brewer:
Boil Size: 1.54 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: BIAB 1 Gallon
End of Boil Volume 1.04 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 1.00 gal Est Mash Efficiency 72.0 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2 lbs 7.7 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 100.0 %
2.08 g Summit [17.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 2 25.4 IBUs
2.08 g Summit [17.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 3 23.3 IBUs
2.08 g Summit [17.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 4 19.5 IBUs
2.08 g Summit [17.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 12.6 IBUs
2.08 g Summit [17.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 9.2 IBUs
2.08 g Summit [17.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 5.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 8 -
5.67 g Summit [17.00 %] - Dry Hop 14.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.065 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.0 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 95.0 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 4.5 SRM
Mash Profile

Mash Name: BIAB, Light Body Total Grain Weight: 2 lbs 7.7 oz
Sparge Water: 0.00 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.1 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Saccharification Add 6.89 qt of water at 156.7 F 150.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge Step: Remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Mash Notes: Brew in a bag method where the full boil volume is mashed within the boil vessel and then the grains are withdrawn at the end of the mash. No active sparging is required. This is a light body beer profile.
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Bottle Volumes of CO2: 2.3
Pressure/Weight: 22.27 g Carbonation Used: Bottle with 22.27 g Corn Sugar
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 70.0 F Age for: 30.00 days
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Storage Temperature: 65.0 F
Notes

Created with BeerSmith

I'd love to be able to help out, I'm actually working on getting in with a local club just for group buys. If im good for 50lb bag + every year it'd definately help them get a better deal.

If your anywhere near chicago cake there is a huge HB community there, they do group buys and I'm sure someone could help take the grain off your hands. or maybe be willing to trade for stuff you need.

I'm on the opposite end I'd like to be stuck with 50lbs of 2 row, my giganto grain purchase would be something aroune 150lbs

huntingohio said:
I dont but it might help to let the guys here know what you have to help, or you could make a crapton of SmaSH beers, Im finding I like them the best.
I had a marris otter and EKG beer that I loved and almost cried when I was down to one bottle

I can hardly keep up with this thread anymore....

I just meant in general, I already have some ideas in queue for now. Basically I have 20 lbs of pilsner and 2 row with a variety of caramel malts, victory, chocolate, and some others I can't think of off hand.

Six (1) gallon batches sharing a liter of ice in a "Cool Brewing" chamber.

20121111_182019.jpg

cheesecake said:
just start going through recipes for a certain style and make your own recipe

Lol, that's what I've been doing. I just figured there is an app where you plug in your pantry and it makes dinner recipe suggestions, so why not one for beer. :)

Someone mentioned that this thread is getting hard to keep up with and I can believe it. All the awesome recipe ideas and techniques that are being posted around here.

Do you think we should start a 1-gallon recipe thread and 1-gallon technique/general brewing help thread? Just running up the flag pole:ban:

I brewed C-Riders Kona Chocolate Macadamia Stout this weekend. His recipe is for 1.75 gallons but I bumped it up to 2 gallons. Wow...that extra gallon was a lot of extra time and some extra work. I guess I got spoiled with the quicker heating and cooling times but the beer smelled awesome. Looking forward to trying this beer. :ban:

I for one think that's a fine idea. Would certainly keep things nice and orderly, and I know that for my own knowledge I'd love to see a run-through of a micro-batch BIAB brewday just to make sure I'm picturing the process correctly in my head.

I also think that there's a suprisingly few threads/posts in this forum of people's setups. I love seeing how everyone's rig is set up - there's some real innovation to be shared, and I feel like explaining our setups and processes more would be a good thing.

I also think that there's a suprisingly few threads/posts in this forum of people's setups. I love seeing how everyone's rig is set up - there's some real innovation to be shared, and I feel like explaining our setups and processes more would be a good thing.

I love seeing other peoples set ups.

But, I think we proposed that 1 gallons should get that own section, or at least a sticky, before and mods shot it down on the premise that volumes of brewing isn't distinct enough to merit its own section. People brew 10 g, 5 g, 7g, etc. and they don't have their own section.
Not that I agree, I'm just saying.

I have noticed most of the posts these days have to do with scaling recipes. We have posted our brewing software, we have posted different 1 gallon recipes, I think the time has finally come to write up a comprehensive article on how to properly scale a recipe and give it a sticky on the beginner brewing section.

I love seeing other peoples set ups.

But, I think we proposed that 1 gallons should get that own section, or at least a sticky, before and mods shot it down on the premise that volumes of brewing isn't distinct enough to merit its own section. People brew 10 g, 5 g, 7g, etc. and they don't have their own section.
Not that I agree, I'm just saying.

I have noticed most of the posts these days have to do with scaling recipes. We have posted our brewing software, we have posted different 1 gallon recipes, I think the time has finally come to write up a comprehensive article on how to properly scale a recipe and give it a sticky on the beginner brewing section.

Also, we have been told by the mods to report any and all posts that simply advocate for brewing larger batches, and they will delete them. I personally get really annoyed with those, and I know that some of us get especially upset *Cough* Revvy *Cough* (lol). This is a reason why I believe that 1 galloners (or at least small batch brewing) really should get their own section.

Posts similar to "Why not just brew bigger batches?", or "1 Gallon brewing is a waste of time," are not problems that bigger batch brewers have to deal with.

But I do like the amount of traffic the thread is getting. Its good to know that there are other small batch brewers to converse with.

I think I'm gonna brew after reading this thread today and seeing labrats pipeline!
Wife's working so I can brew inside where it's warmer!! Sweet!

This week I will get around to taking pictures of mine. I've been meaning to do that, but haven't. Not making beer this well though so can't really do process pictures this week.

Same, its going to have to wait til late December for me, but is definitely on my 'to do' list. I've got to finish up papers and exams. :(

Same, its going to have to wait til late December for me, but is definitely on my 'to do' list. I've got to finish up papers and exams. :(

Luckily with the work schedule I'm on I get to brew every wed morning so I love it. Just doing a mead and a cider this week so not everything will be used. Before this I hadn't brewed in about 4 months and I was twitching looking for my fix, haha.

I'm normally hanging out in what used to be the hbt chatroom. And then we do a Google+ hangout and talk and show off my brewing.

The good old days of hbt.

Bought a wine thief today. Going to sample my IPA (first brew I ever made).
Can't wait to see how it's turned out.

Any of y'all sample your beers during the different stages?

Not when I'm doing one gallon batches, no. I need every drop if I'm only gonna get 8 full bottles.

I will drink the dregs of my bottling bucket though!

I recently got a big plastic box, and I can fit three or four 1 gallon demijohns in it, fill it with water, and keep it at a nice 20 degrees C during the cold current weather (using an aquarium heater - one of many wise tips shared by people here).
I'm going to make some Cider and Wine, but after that I can split my brews between the demijohns and start to experiment with 3 to 4 variants for each batch I do. Should be fun!

Barley Wine
American Barleywine
Type: All Grain Date: 11/1/2012
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3 lbs 7.1 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 86.7 %
2.3 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 3.6 %
2.3 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.6 %
0.6 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4 0.9 %
0.6 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 5 0.9 %
2.6 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 6 4.2 %
7.93 g Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 62.5 IBUs
6.99 g Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
6.99 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
4.66 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
0.2 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35.49 ml] Yeast 11 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.106 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.023 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 11.2 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 62.5 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 18.9 SRM
Mash Profile

Mash Name: BIAB, Full Body Total Grain Weight: 3 lbs 15.5 oz

Mash Steps
Saccharification Add 7.27 qt of water at 165.8 F 156.0 F 60 min

Mash Notes: Brew in a bag method where the full boil volume is mashed within the boil vessel and then the grains are withdrawn at the end of the mash. No active sparging is required. This is a full body beer profile.
Carbonation and Storage

Notes

Created with BeerSmith

cheesecake said:
Barley Wine
American Barleywine
Type: All Grain Date: 11/1/2012
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3 lbs 7.1 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 86.7 %
2.3 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 3.6 %
2.3 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.6 %
0.6 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4 0.9 %
0.6 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 5 0.9 %
2.6 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 6 4.2 %
7.93 g Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 62.5 IBUs
6.99 g Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
6.99 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
4.66 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
0.2 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35.49 ml] Yeast 11 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.106 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.023 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 11.2 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 62.5 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 18.9 SRM
Mash Profile

Mash Name: BIAB, Full Body Total Grain Weight: 3 lbs 15.5 oz

Mash Steps
Saccharification Add 7.27 qt of water at 165.8 F 156.0 F 60 min

Mash Notes: Brew in a bag method where the full boil volume is mashed within the boil vessel and then the grains are withdrawn at the end of the mash. No active sparging is required. This is a full body beer profile.
Carbonation and Storage

Notes

Created with BeerSmith

Its that based off of a Jamil recipe? Just listened to the American bw episode on the way home from work today.

cheesecake said:
I'm normally hanging out in what used to be the hbt chatroom. And then we do a Google+ hangout and talk and show off my brewing.

The good old days of hbt.

I would love to do a hangout or something like that on brew days if people would do it with me.

I tried using my new Westin grain mill. A couple of tweaks and I was crushing grain.

grain-mill-57218.jpg

Here's a half a pound of 2-Row crushed. I think I've got a SMaSH in my future for this weekend.

crushed-grain-57219.jpg

I just got the shipping confirmation for my grain mill. This is the one I ordered, if anyone is interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back