The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I think the player may have distracted the ref by overacting on the hand slap to the face. That wasn't much. The ankle had the ref's eyes been there would have been a pk. This may be a case where the player was his own worst enemy.

"Doesn't matter, San Jose will dispose of the gals real quick like "

hmmmm, don't know LA SJ is a good match up. Pretty competitive matches. Don't think it will that cut and dry. Still taking LA as Keene is on form.

Anyone watching LA v. VAN? pretty volley from Magee right there.
Absolutely gorgeous. I did a few laps around the kitchen after that one.

LA advances, but the ref let a pk go against Vancouver. A clear taking of an ankle and no call. Tough especially after the call for LA at the other end. A tough situation when the ref isn't consistent. But I think LA has a better shot at beating SJ. So go LA, beat SJ so we can watch good soccer later.
Well, I think he was consistent in not calling PKs on Vancouver's dives. :D

So the gals are like the manu of the MLS :confused: If you get too close to a gal player, the ref blows his whistle. Not fair, but it doesn't matter, San Jose will dispose of the gals real quick like :D
:rolleyes:

Yup, just like AEG bought the MLS Cup last year. Or how LA cheats by bending the Designated Player rule. Or how the fans are plastic even though we have an all-time attendance average of 22,067.

I guess comments like those are just symptoms of being jealous of the franchise :D :D

So, I guess the Fire maybe should have beaten DC or the Red Bull in the final games of the season, so they wouldn't have been in that horrific play-in ;)

So, I guess the Fire maybe should have beaten DC or the Red Bull in the final games of the season, so they wouldn't have been in that horrific play-in ;)

Indeed, those were some key slip ups that put them in this position. The knockout round is always a banana peel waiting to strike...

Reno_eNVy said:

Yup, just like AEG bought the MLS Cup last year. Or how LA cheats by bending the Designated Player rule. Or how the fans are plastic even though we have an all-time attendance average of 22,067.

I guess comments like those are just symptoms of being jealous of the franchise :D :D

Now now you can't deny you are the pretty Tom Brady's of the MLS......Go SJ ewww I feel dirty now.

Don't make me come to Reno to put the hurt on ya ;) I don't think Da Quakes are worried about the gals. gals have no answer for Wondo & da Gang. Plus there is history of pain inflicted by Da Quakes on the gals. Nor Cal Rulz over so cal!!!
scream.gif

"Well, I think he was consistent in not calling PKs on Vancouver's dives. "

You must have been getting a beer on the foul in the area in question. Watch the replays.. ;)

lgilmore said:
"Well, I think he was consistent in not calling PKs on Vancouver's dives. "

You must have been getting a beer on the foul in the area in question. Watch the replays.. ;)

Nope, never left my seat except at half. Are we talking about the slight tap to the ankle plus the butterfly kiss to the face? :D

If we want to go down that road, LA should have been awarded a second PK when LD was NFL tackled in the box as he was about to receive a pass.

Well that brings up the consistency issue. The one that has been plauging the MLS for some time. I think on the trip slap, it may be on the vancouver player who made too big a deal about the touch to the face, drawing all attention away from the ankle clip. I may have missed the second Donovan foul as it was a good dinner and a little sleepy time took over. That and the beers I had eariler.

Just go beat SJ now. I want a Seatlle LA western final where skilled soccer is played and thugball is just a memmory.

Great game tonight it wasn't for lack of effort. Oh well time to go down to RSL and whoop some tail

Boy LA just gave one away.... had a ton of chances. Keene off the crossbar, massive crosses nobody on the end...

SJ didn't have half the chances LA did tonight, but they only count the ones that go in...

Grumble. Also, shut up :D

You still have to deal with us in the second leg. LA has been doing a ton of playing in a short period of time. Hopefully they can rest enough to take it to SJ at their highschool stadium.

Hopefully they can rest enough to take it to SJ at their high school stadium.

Best Home record in the MLS. So the gals have snowball's chance in hell. In other words, it ain't happening. On the bright side, your boys still have the CONCAChampion's League to look forward. Just no Glory in the MLS this season. BTW, Buck Shaw Stadium is on the campus of Santa Clara University. A much nicer campus than CSU Dominguez Hills.

My, aren't we getting big for our britches. You have one successful season and you think you can run with the big boys. The SuperClasico used to be one of the most one-sided rivalries in the league, ever since the original ClashQuakes hightailed it for Houston and Garber was nice enough to give you another franchise.

On a side note, this is not an argument of college campuses. HDC is a gorgeous soccer-specific stadium... Buck Shaw is a converted baseball field that only sells out because it holds less people than you can fit into a Taco Bell.

The SuperClasico used to be one of the most one-sided rivalries in the league, ever since the original ClashQuakes hightailed it for Houston and Garber was nice enough to give you another franchise.

the gals have always been the Quakes bitches. Look at the history. I have witnessed it first hand, first @ Spartan Stadium & then @ Buck Shaw. The domination will continue my friend. I hope you weep in your agony of this FACT.

On a side note, this is not an argument of college campuses. HDC is a gorgeous soccer-specific stadium... Buck Shaw is a converted baseball field that only sells out because it holds less people than you can fit into a Taco Bell.

Buck Shaw is a Soccer specific stadium. Feast your eyes on the first sentence of this site. BTW, I wonder which jokers that people laughed at last nite? The Quakes squeaking out a win or the sorry gk letting the ball go through his fingers Robert Green style :D

Gee, why don't I have somebody to bark back and forth with about Real Salt Lake?................

Oh, right this is a beer forum.... ;)

Gonna be a good second leg in both brackets. Which ever two go onto the the western final will have earned it.

Go Houston! Way to stick it to KC. Knew that one was coming.

Robbie Keane topped the Castrol Index this season! Keano: still got it! :rockin:

Way ta go Houston! And LA so far looks hot. 15 minutes to play LA up 3-0. Now if my sounders pull through it will be a perfect week!

robdogj said:
Best Home record in the MLS. So the gals have snowball's chance in hell. In other words, it ain't happening.
Hell must have experienced a cold front. 3 rapid fire goals? Way to hold strong to the home streak.

On the bright side, your boys still have the CONCAChampion's League to look forward. Just no Glory in the MLS this season.
Ha. No cup AND no CCL for the ClashQuakes. Ouch.

robdogj said:
the gals have always been the Quakes bitches. Look at the history.

You're not a very good fact checker or history buff, apparently. All-time record for LA vs Clash: 28-19-15. Yup, you guys suuuure have been dominating.

Buck Shaw is a Soccer specific stadium. Feast your eyes on the first sentence of this site
Funny, because the very same site says it was converted from a baseball field. There's even an image of it when it WAS a baseball field.

The first sentence says "soccer stadium." Very different than a soccer specific stadium.

So lets see, you:
... can't read.
... can't fact check.
... got stomped by a superior club.
... have to play one more season in an abandoned baseball field.

Also, I think my favorite part of last night, almost more than LA winning, was Lenhart getting wrecked by Gonzalez every other play.

Hey Reno, you must be happy. I see that you posted 3 times w/out a replay ;) It's all good. the gals still sux & I will remain a hata :D No love from Nor Cal.

Ok Reno, I pulled hard for LA, your turn for Seattle so we can have a western championship that is fun to watch.

Ok Reno, I pulled hard for LA, your turn for Seattle so we can have a western championship that is fun to watch.

I am indeed rooting for Seattle tonight. LA vs Seattle is always entertaining. Plus it would be the Sounders first progression in playoff history.

Reno_eNVy said:
I am indeed rooting for Seattle tonight. LA vs Seattle is always entertaining. Plus it would be the Sounders first progression in playoff history.

I think Seattle v L.A. would be great for viewership as well. Got my pack of beers ready

Ah so begins the banter :D

As for tonight, amazing goal for Martinez. Plus, Hamid played out of his f**king mind and that was a very soft red card. Excellent PK stop by the backup, and great goal from DeLeon on a perfectly timed run.

Also, Seattle invented going to the Western Conference Finals ;) :mug:

I was worried with Rosales out. And it showed it setting up the crosses but damn we were getting punished by the wind in the second half.

I thought we were done for with the way Rsl was just living on our side of the field

Yet another MLS season to pass where the best team from the regular season isn't crowned as the best team.

I need to apologize for my punk ass introduction. I am a phunkin' mad footie fan from Nor Cal. I didn't realize this thread was here. I had to some digging to do to get to this thread. I mainly come onto this site for tips for beer making, but now I now there are some nutty footie fans here, I will make sure to keep dropping in from time from time. One last thing, I am a HUGE Chelsea Football Fan. I finally made my Blue Mecca earlier this fall. Here is my story for my trip to the Historic Stamford Bridge. So be cool & remember, Chelsea fans are CAREFREE!!!!
shedend_twitter_zps1d0c2cc8.jpg

Should be a great WC final.. Keene is on fire right now as he has been lights out. Don't know if Buttle will be healthy enough and kinda wonder if Becks is healthy enough.

This should be a great series..

I've said before Seattle vs. Portland is a fans thing. RSL vs Seattle is a players thing and LA vs. Seattle is a coaches thing.

Both coaches want to be known as the best in the MLS and these games are usually always excellent.

May the best team win, I do think it will be mine as we have an edge in goalkeeping, but it should be a great series with two teams that play a great style of footy.

Latest posts

Back