The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BainbridgeBrewer said:
Season isn't over yet. I think Seattle has a great shot at this post season run. I didn't watch the game but listened to it on the radio. Sounded like they both had a lot of scoring chances. The announcers couldn't stop talking about Saunders' yellow card. I can't seem to find any highlights that show him grabbing the ball outside the box. I remember last year, I think, when Casey Keller had the ball hit his glove outside the box, he was given a straight red. Any idea why Saunders didn't get the same treatment? Keane was on it last night, I'm shocked only one goal was scored in the whole game. Hopefully EJ's hamstring isn't too bad. That'll hurt a bit.

Keane was playing out of his mind... should have had a hat trick. Then again, Montero should have had a couple.

As for Saunders, he handled the ball outside the box when there was no clear scoring opportunity. By the Laws of the Game, that's a yellow.

Suarez should have walked after that achilles stomp on Distin, so we can dispense with any talk about Pool getting "robbed".

I don't know how you call a last man hack by Ivanovic a "questionable red" whether or not Young embellished the heck out of it. Torres could easily have been shown straight red on his first card, though I agree the yellow for diving was soft. The goal did look offsides.

From the replays I saw, it was more than the goal looked offsides. It was he was very clearly offsides, and it looked like he might have been behind the keeper as well. :D

I would say Saunders played out of his mind last night. He had an exceptional game. Keane was the Keane you'd expect to see night in and night out. Even Becks had a near miss. The post and
Saunders stopped two for Montero. His save on EJ was outstanding too. It was just a good game between two of the leagues better skilled teams playing some very good soccer. I thought both teams stringed together some good passing series and while the fans in the Seattle paper were screaming about the ref, I don't think he was a factor in the match. Could have ended differently and next time it might.

One thing I think people forgot when the lineups were announced is Arena and Schmidt are very competitive with each other. BOTH want to be known as the best coach in the MLS. Neither wanted a draw last night. It shouldn't hurt Seattle as I think they've figured out RSL. Actually I expect LA and Seattle to play again before this season's over.

I'd say Saunders played out of his mind for 70 minutes. The first 20 minutes he scared the crap out of me... seemed unsure of himself and came out unnecessarily a couple times (including the yellow card play.) But that's probably just my bias based on desperately wanting to end the season strong and being a keeper for years. Saunders did have one great save in that first 20, though.

Good point on Sigi vs Bruce. They always seem to bring out the World Cup-quality strategy and motivation when they face each other.

Also, this shot of Bill Hamid....

ww-hamid.jpg

... Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson meme....

BRTky.jpg

My playoff predictions. I'm only partially being a homer... I see LA getting to the finals but Sporting is too strong this year:

Knockout Round
LA v Vancouver -- 2-1
Chicago v Houston -- 3-2 a.e.t. (2-2 after 90 minutes)

Western Conference Semifinals
Salt Lake v Seattle -- 4-3 aggregate
San Jose v LA -- 5-7 aggregate

Eastern Conference Semifinals
DC v New York -- 5-6 aggregate
SKC v Chicago -- 5-3 aggregate

Western Conference Final
Salt Lake v LA -- 3-4 aggregate

Eastern Conference Final
SKC v New York -- 6-3 aggregate

MLS Cup Final
SKC v LA -- 2-1

Reno_eNVy said:
My playoff predictions. I'm only partially being a homer... I see LA getting to the finals but Sporting is too strong this year:

Knockout Round
LA v Vancouver -- 2-1
Chicago v Houston -- 3-2 a.e.t. (2-2 after 90 minutes)

Salt Lake v Seattle -- 4-3 aggregate
San Jose v LA -- 5-7 aggregate

SKC v Chicago -- 5-3 aggregate

Western Conference Final
Salt Lake v LA -- 3-4 aggregate

Eastern Conference Final
SKC v New York -- 6-3 aggregate

MLS Cup Final
SKC v LA -- 2-1

Agreed except sea takes the cup home this year but you were spot on ;)

Knockout Round
LA v Vancouver -- 3-1
Chicago v Houston -- 1-2

Salt Lake v Seattle -- 1-4 aggregate
San Jose v LA -- 4-5 aggregate

SKC v Houston -- 4-3 aggregate

Western Conference Final
Seattle v LA --4-2 aggregate

Eastern Conference Final
SKC v New York -- 3-5 aggregate

MLS Cup Final
Seattle v. NY -- 3-1

lgilmore said:
Knockout Round
LA v Vancouver -- 3-1
Chicago v Houston -- 1-2

Salt Lake v Seattle -- 1-4 aggregate
San Jose v LA -- 4-5 aggregate

SKC v Houston -- 4-3 aggregate

Western Conference Final
Seattle v LA --4-2 aggregate

Eastern Conference Final
SKC v New York -- 3-5 aggregate

MLS Cup Final
Seattle v. NY -- 3-1

Now there's a guy who knows what's right

Now there's a guy who knows what's right

Heh :D

It's just that Seattle have yet to advance to any stages in playoff history. I'm working on past experiences.

But NY losing in the finals would be brutal... they are still the only original franchise without any major hardware (i.e. MLS Cup, Supporters Shield, CCL) and to come so close would just be heartbreaking. And also a great story to remember the season by :D :mug:

I guarantee you The Olde Ship Pub will be full of soccer fans watching the playoffs. It's the official Angel City Brigade pub. You can also try The Off-Campus Pub (OCP) right across the street from the Home Depot Center.

Why not just start watching and see which side sways you themselves? :D

I've been doing that but I find no special connection with any club. The only exciting exposure I've had with the Premier League was an fun match between the Timbers and Aston Villa. My favorite teams in other sports are all local-ish: Timbers, Blazers, Ducks, Seahawks, Winterhawks, Mariners... I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to international soccer but I've seen every USA Men's and Women's match broadcast for the past 3 years or so. With Fox broadcasting every Premier League match, I've decided that it's time for me to branch out. The biggest obstacle I've found is that I'm not invested in any club. I love watching all the MLS, NFL, NBA and NCAAF games because they affect my teams in some way. I just don't feel that excitement with Premier League matches, even though I find the quality of play to be exciting itself.

Just don't go looking for EPL on Fox Soccer next season. NBC picked it up. But I can't decide if that's good, bad, or neutral for MLS coverage and ratings...

mrgstiffler said:
Yeah, I mixed them up. NBC is carrying every Premier League match this season. Not Fox.

Next season, you mean. :D. Still Fox soccer this year.

Apparently NBC plans to show 6 live matches every week. Pretty solid.

The NBC deal is solid. Plus, most people with basic cable should be able to see all the EPL games.
I got sick of having to pay for digital cable + a sports package just to watch EPL games.

The NBC deal is solid. Plus, most people with basic cable should be able to see all the EPL games.
I got sick of having to pay for digital cable + a sports package just to watch EPL games.

Also, HD...

I have been waiting patiently for Fox Soccer HD to show up from my cable provider and nothing. I always look forward to the early Arsenal matches on ESPN2 because those get the HD treatment.

As an aside, no MLS, no EPL, what the heck is left for Fox Soccer to broadcast?

aygov said:
Also, HD...

I have been waiting patiently for Fox Soccer HD to show up from my cable provider and nothing. I always look forward to the early Arsenal matches on ESPN2 because those get the HD treatment.

Several European leagues, CCL, and UEFA Champions League

Fox will have to scramble to pick up some rights, probably buy some from BeIn.

They currently have Champions League & FA Cup.
I'd bet they will try to pick up some MLS rights, possibly buy La Liga from BeIn. I also see them doing more reality type shows like the Being Liverpool deal. Then theres also international matches.

I wonder if that's enough to sustain the channel. Methinks that the same plan is in place for Fox Soccer as is in place for the Speed channel. Slow conversion to a general sports channel a la Fox Sports 1,2,3 etc.

Amazing.
I turned it off when they went down 4-0.
Then around midnight, I looked at the highlights and nearly flipped out.

I was at work so I couldn't watch, but I stopped paying attention until my English friend called me right when I got on the train screaming about 4-4 and extra time.

I started following it on a live blog and then laughed like an idiot at 5-7...

I wonder if that's enough to sustain the channel. Methinks that the same plan is in place for Fox Soccer as is in place for the Speed channel. Slow conversion to a general sports channel a la Fox Sports 1,2,3 etc.

Thats something I hadn't thought of.
One of my friends thinks they will move Champions League games & the rest of their soccer agreements to Fox sports, and turn Fox Soccer into an MMA channel, with their interest in UFC.

Yeah, I just think they're really going to struggle if the UEFA champions league remains their biggest ticket item. Its great and all, but how many people are watching during the middle of work days, when most of the games are?

I would actually like it if they showed more "classic games".
99 ManU v. Bayern Champions final is one I could watch a million times.

I would actually like it if they showed more "classic games".
99 ManU v. Bayern Champions final is one I could watch a million times.

I agree. I've seen classic games pop up on there and the game turn out to be like 2 years old. Sure, it was a good game, but dig back in to the history a bit...

Well, the Fire come up short to the Dynamo. They played pretty sluggish most of the first half and only started to look dangerous after Oduro came on in the second half. Too little too late though. Hopefully the Fire can build on this for next season and become playoff regulars again.

Yeah, was not expecting that outcome. I'd say with the way Houston ended their season, Chicago were the favorites for most. Oh well, Sporting is going to take the east either way. :D

LA advances, but the ref let a pk go against Vancouver. A clear taking of an ankle and no call. Tough especially after the call for LA at the other end. A tough situation when the ref isn't consistent. But I think LA has a better shot at beating SJ. So go LA, beat SJ so we can watch good soccer later.

lgilmore said:
LA advances, but the ref let a pk go against Vancouver. A clear taking of an ankle and no call. Tough especially after the call for LA at the other end. A tough situation when the ref isn't consistent. But I think LA has a better shot at beating SJ. So go LA, beat SJ so we can watch good soccer later.

Clear on replay, agreed. Don't think it's fair to assume it was so clear live, because my first thought when I saw it was that it looked pretty dive-ish.

Anyone watching LA v. VAN? pretty volley from Magee right there.

LA advances, but the ref let a pk go against Vancouver. A clear taking of an ankle and no call. Tough especially after the call for LA at the other end. A tough situation when the ref isn't consistent.

So the gals are like the manu of the MLS :confused: If you get too close to a gal player, the ref blows his whistle. Not fair, but it doesn't matter, San Jose will dispose of the gals real quick like :D

Back