Jaybird's Stainless False Bottoms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have what I think is the standard issue 10 gallon Igloo (yellow and red one, seen them all over). Currently I'm using a tube screen but getting ready to upgrade to your cooler false bottom. Do I need to measure it or do you have the Igloo ones pretty much down now?

This is a killer question as I get it asked all the time in the store and on the web.
I have bought several coolers from the same company, lets just use Igloo as an example but they are all the same. There is a major difference between all the coolers. I think this is because of the foam injection they do, but dont know that to be fact. So you can have 5 Igloo coolers side by side and have 5 diferent measurements. So to answer your question. Yes, get me a measurement 2" above the bottom of the cooler. I ask for a measurement on ALL cooler false bottoms I build, and custom build them for your needs
Again thanks for asking the question here.

Cheers
Jay

I too have the same question about supporting the weight and don't really understand why 32# of grain would let grain through, I would think the additional weight would either have no effect, or actually secure the FB more firmly to the bottom. Also don't get why RIMS/HERMS would matter at all.

I am planning on purchasing (I can't believe nobody else makes a FB that fits the entire concave bottom of a keg) a FB for my Keggle that actually has a pipe welded into the edge of the concave bottom, so no dip tube, but I do need a FB to reach all the way to the edge. Click here for photos.

I'm also a little perplexed about the hinges and why reversing them matters.

I apologize if any of this has been covered.

Thanks,
-Lemy

Great questions.
I have used my 15" for years without a stand without any issues. I did notice grain getting through a little, while I was doing larger batches 32+# but that is only after years of abuse. From what I have seen anything under 27# your good if your not doing a RIMS or HERMS. Since I started using the level 1 in my MLT I will say this. The added support and the added filtration from the material being there to help stop grain from getting in the diptube is a huge bonus.

As for the level 3 without the FB? I am not sure. I would guess it would clog fairly quickly, but I have not tried it myself and of course it's going to depend on the hop load you throw at it. You can always try it and if you need more filtration add the 15" FB later. You will need a hose clamp or something to hold the Level 3 down during the boil though.

Cheers
Jay

I too have the same question about supporting the weight and don't really understand why 32# of grain would let grain through, I would think the additional weight would either have no effect, or actually secure the FB more firmly to the bottom. Also don't get why RIMS/HERMS would matter at all.

I am planning on purchasing (I can't believe nobody else makes a FB that fits the entire concave bottom of a keg) a FB for my Keggle that actually has a pipe welded into the edge of the concave bottom, so no dip tube, but I do need a FB to reach all the way to the edge. Click here for photos.

I'm also a little perplexed about the hinges and why reversing them matters.

I apologize if any of this has been covered.

Thanks,
-Lemy

Lemy
All good questions! To start, there are others that make a 15" hinged false bottom, I am not the only one on the market, but I do think my system is better:D.

Why 32# of grain or HERMS or RIMS systems make a difference, although I make these out of 16ga material they do have their limitations and will bow down, splitting the two halves apart a tad in the center, if put under too much stress. I have found that under normal conditions a stand isn't needed and the hinges can take the stress. But most home brewers these days are adding the constant draw of the RIMS and HERMS systems, creating a little too much pressure on the false bottom. I created the stands to eliminate that bowing and separation of the hinge.
The stands added so much extra strength and extra filtration to the system it has been a 2 fold successful addition to the entire system. In doing this I needed to reverse the hinge so the underneath side of the false bottom where the stand is going to set was flat and wouldn't interfere with how the false bottom set in the kettle. So without a stand, hinges down. With a stand, hinges up.

Thanks for the questions. Hope I was able to answer them.

Cheers
Jay

Jay,

Now I totally get it! the grain gets through the center hinged area, makes perfect sense. Thank you for the explanation.

So... Free shipping in the November/December time frame?

Thanks,
-John/Lemy

Jay,

Now I totally get it! the grain gets through the center hinged area, makes perfect sense. Thank you for the explanation.

So... Free shipping in the November/December time frame?

Thanks,
-John/Lemy

Heck yeah man! no problem... Free shipping???? I am gonna guess Dec not November. We have a few things we want to offer as a free shipping deal, but Dec is more likely.....
Cheers
Jay

Jay,

I am contemplating using a FB in my Bottom Drain Keggle BK with a 5500W Ripple Element installed. Would a reverse hinge FB be able to fit under the element? I haven't installed it yet, so I can give myself a bit more room if need be. Would it be possible to have a FB made with 3 hinges?

Jay,

I am contemplating using a FB in my Bottom Drain Keggle BK with a 5500W Ripple Element installed. Would a reverse hinge FB be able to fit under the element? I haven't installed it yet, so I can give myself a bit more room if need be. Would it be possible to have a FB made with 3 hinges?

It should fit no problem, just depends on how much room you have from the end of the element to the side of the keg. Best thing to do is make a cardboard FB 14 7/8" split it in the center and just play with it in the kettle and see. Yes I can make one hinged in 2 spots for sure.

Cheers
Jay

Any chance you're gong to announce this deal soon? I've got a huge order sitting in my cart!

Still working out the details on how its going to work exactly and we are testing the promo code on the site. I will let you guys know here early next week....But it will be a promo for November....Not December.

Cheers
Jay

How would a false bottom with a level 3 filter work to filter trub and pellet hop material in a bottom drain boil kettle? Does anyone use this setup to filter trub before a CFC?

there seems to be some sort of issue with your site. pages like this are just blank with no products. I was going to suggest your false bottom to a buddy of mine in my homebrew club...but couldn't actually locate the false bottoms on the site...

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Conversion_15.5Gal_Straight_Wall_Mash.html

IPower is down for some reason...Its killing me! We have been on the phone with them ALL day!

Thanks a bunch... We are working on it..

Ill update this as soon as I see it back up

Jay

So as of about 5AM my site is back up and running....

Sorry about that guys. It seems that Ipower lost our database during an upgrade and had to do a restore from yesterday. Bastards!

Cheers
Jay

Anybody using Jay's false bottom for a 30 gallon Bubba's Barrels MLT?

Maltose
I have built several FB for the Bubba's Barrels. The guys that have them gave me measurements so I am not sure if they were the 30 gallon the 40 gallon or the 55 gallon. I do know I just revisited the 55 gallon FB size and increased it a bit to better fit the drum. We are doing a stand that makes the FB sit directly over the drain hole.
Cheers
Jay

I think 30 is the smallest size he has, which is what I have. What was his measurement?

Jaybird said:
Still working out the details on how its going to work exactly and we are testing the promo code on the site. I will let you guys know here early next week....But it will be a promo for November....Not December.

Cheers
Jay

Eagerly waiting...

Jaybird said:
Thanks man! We will get this out ASAP!

Cheers
Jay

Jay, I'm already considering adding on to this order and getting a hop filter of some sort... What do you recommend for a good hop filter for a keggle, boiling 10 gallon batches with anywhere from 8-20 ounces of Pelletier hops? Is a 15" false bottom with a level 3 stand going to be overkill or would you say that is the best solution? I'm trying to find a solution that doesn't exactly cost another $130, but losing this much wort and clogging my chiller every time might just be worth that... Haha.

Jay, I'm already considering adding on to this order and getting a hop filter of some sort... What do you recommend for a good hop filter for a keggle, boiling 10 gallon batches with anywhere from 8-20 ounces of Pelletier hops? Is a 15" false bottom with a level 3 stand going to be overkill or would you say that is the best solution? I'm trying to find a solution that doesn't exactly cost another $130, but losing this much wort and clogging my chiller every time might just be worth that... Haha.

the 15" with the level 3 is the best option for sure....We have done test after test on it and it is a killer system. Every time I use it I am thrilled and I just keep throwing more hops at it trying to get it to stop working, and it has never let me down yet. The trick is clearing out from under the filter before you start running your wort into the chiller. Hops will get in the filter during the boil, we cant stop that. So you need to do a quick recirculation like you would during the mash. Only its the boil kettle. This gets ALL the hops on top of the 15" and out of the filter so it can do its job. Its the best filter system I have used myself and the best we offer.
If you decide to go with it just shoot me a PM with your order # and I can just add to the order, no need to go back to the website checkout page.
Cheers
Jay

Jaybird said:
the 15" with the level 3 is the best option for sure....We have done test after test on it and it is a killer system. Every time I use it I am thrilled and I just keep throwing more hops at it trying to get it to stop working, and it has never let me down yet. The trick is clearing out from under the filter before you start running your wort into the chiller. Hops will get in the filter during the boil, we cant stop that. So you need to do a quick recirculation like you would during the mash. Only its the boil kettle. This gets ALL the hops on top of the 15" and out of the filter so it can do its job. Its the best filter system I have used myself and the best we offer.
If you decide to go with it just shoot me a PM with your order # and I can just add to the order, no need to go back to the website checkout page.
Cheers
Jay

Pm sent. When you say recirculate, can I do that through my wort chiller? Or would enough hop debris be down there to possibly clog it?

Jaybird said:
nope you want to do that befor the chiller goes into the mix..Yes the reason to do this is to not plug the chiller..
Jay

That is kind of what. Thought, shouldn't be too much of a problem :). How much would you say you need to recirc? Could I simply use a decent sized pot to pour some off and add back into he kettle at the top so that I don't have to involve my pump or any of that? Also, I'm guessing this is to be done prior to flame out?

Directly "after" flame out..Yes decanting into a kettle works killer. That is what I do myself. I drain about a gallon or 2 right at flame out and put it right back on top... all we are trying to do is get the hops out of there that made their way in durring the boil.

Cheers
Jay

Any need to worry about sanitation of that kettle? Or would you say it's still hot enough to kill anything.

used mine on Learn to Homebrew day with 8lbs of smashed baked pumpkin... I did add 1/2lb of rice hulls...but still I was able to recirculate the entire mash without getting a stuck sparge or having any issues whatsoever.

I'm confused about what "level 1" and "level 2" stands are. I ordered a false bottom and 2" stand for my MLT. Does that mean I ordered a "level 2" stand?

erikrocks said:
I'm confused about what "level 1" and "level 2" stands are. I ordered a false bottom and 2" stand for my MLT. Does that mean I ordered a "level 2" stand?

They offer different levels of filter stands to work with the false bottom.

Level 1 is basically a mesh ring that the fb sits on top of.

Level 2 is the same mesh ring but has a top on it.

Level 3 is the same as level 2, with an additional, smaller, ring inside of the outer ring.

If you ordered a 2" stand, I'm guessing it will arrive looking similar, except maybe taller (?), than a level 2 filter stand.

Back