Sweet Stout Left Hand Milk Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished brewing and realized I used 1 oz magnum hops instead of .35. Is it going to be really bitter or am I safe?

Just finished brewing and realized I used 1 oz magnum hops instead of .35. Is it going to be really bitter or am I safe?

wow, looks like that puts you in the 60-70ibu range. maybe add a little lactose sugar (and i mean a little, or it will be cloying...)? or just call it a barleywine style stout and age it a year or two? good luck

I brewed this last night but adjusted it for 5.5 gal and my 60% efficiency. My LHBS was out of flaked barley, so I subbed it with another lb of flaked oats. My OG came out at 1.074, which is a little high. IBU came out to be 25 which is close. My color came out to be 46.9L which is also close. I can't wait to try it.

im planning on doing a chocolate milk stout for my 2nd batch would this be a good recipe to add say 4oz of chocolate after primary? of if someone has a goto chocolate milk stout recipe

cheers and thanks

im planning on doing a chocolate milk stout for my 2nd batch would this be a good recipe to add say 4oz of chocolate after primary? of if someone has a goto chocolate milk stout recipe

cheers and thanks

i threw in some cocoa nibs into secondary and it was nice. problem is i didn't brew it without first, so i don't know if it really did anything for it. also, do a long secondary with the nibs...

Beersmith is giving me an expected FG of 1.011 when everyone on the thread is talking about gravity in the 1.020 range (which is about where I am right now). Does Beersmith not take the inability for yeast to convert the lactose? I checked over the recipe and it's spot on... anyone else see this in their version of beersmith?

EDIT: After a quick search, it looks like Beersmith does show lactose as fully fermenting. Looks like I should be about stable and just need to check gravity 2 or 3 more times before transferring to secondary.

I bottled this last night after 5.5 weeks in primary (lazy I know). It tasted WONDERFUL. I could've literally drank a few pints of that easily already.

Brewed this today... Ended up getting close to 80% efficiency with my 3 gallon BIAB setup. Gonna be a little heavy!!! I'm excited!

Did this one last night. Added 1 lb 2 row to the recipe. Had an OG of 1.072. Now the wait...

Brewed a 3 gallon batch of this. Tried to scale it properly, but I got really good efficiency from sparging my BIAB... OG: 1.071 and my FG seems to be leveling at about 1.023 after about a week. I think it will come down a few points still... Excited to drink it!

Drank some of this, cold but not yet carbonated. It's REALLY good, I think I like it more than the real LHMS. Thanks for the recipe!

Hey can anyone tell me if this will come out fine without the milk sugar? can't findit anywhere. Is there a subsitute I could use? Maltodexitine?

Going to stop by the store and pick up a LHMS to try, but reading notes on that and this recipe, it will be the next in my primary... Anyone had any issues with a temp around 72 once the initial rush of fermentation is complete? I only have one chamber, and want to start something else asap, once this gets to secondary.

I just did this recipe with a few small changes.

One thing I would do is only add 1 pound of lactose, then up the lactose at bottling or keg to taste. I turned out great.

Recipe: Dewclaw Milk Stout
Style: Sweet Stout
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 13.56 gal
Post Boil Volume: 11.96 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 11.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 10.70 gal
Estimated OG: 1.057 SG
Estimated Color: 40.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.5 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -
1.00 Items Install Mash False Bottom (Mash 0.0 mins Water Agent 2 -
15 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 60.0 %
2 lbs 4.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4 9.0 %
1 lbs 12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5 7.0 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 6 6.0 %
1 lbs Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 7 4.0 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 8 4.0 %
1 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 9 4.0 %
8.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 10 2.0 %
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 11 4.0 %
1.00 oz Magnum [12.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 12 20.4 IBUs
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] - Boil 10.0 Hop 13 5.4 IBUs
1.00 Items Start Pump For Degerm (Boil 10.0 mins) Other 14 -
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 15 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 25 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 9.80 gal of water at 161.2 F 150.0 F 75 min
Mash Out Add -0.00 gal of water and heat to 168. 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, , 7.44gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------

So I'm planning on brewing this next Saturday (not tomorrow, the following Saturday) for a New Years party I'm going to. Assuming it takes a full 3 weeks to attenuate, is 2 days going to be enough time to get it carbed in a keg? Assuming force carbonation, of course.

I'm hoping that it will take a little less than 3 weeks to attenuate, so that I can give it a few more days for carbing, but this brew plan came up at the last minute and I didn't really have a chance to plan better.

I'm no pro on carbing, but 30lbs of pressure for 48 hours usually does the trick for me.

This recipe (mine above) for me fermented out in about 4 to 5 days.

You can force carb in 2 days if you up the pressure, read on this site if you do not know. It can be done.

Cool. That's a relief. However, I did manage to move the brew date up to this Sunday, so I will have more time if I need it. I hope to let it ferment for 2 weeks, then get it in a keg and carbonate.

So you didn't have any problem just using 2 packs of the US-05 for 11 gallons of wort? I was considering using 2 packs for a 5.5 gallon batch.

I brewed this last night but adjusted it for 5.5 gal and my 60% efficiency. My LHBS was out of flaked barley, so I subbed it with another lb of flaked oats. My OG came out at 1.074, which is a little high. IBU came out to be 25 which is close. My color came out to be 46.9L which is also close. I can't wait to try it.

How was it with the extra pound of oats? Just curious.

I brewed this last Sunday night. Brew went very well, except that I either got more absorption than I accounted for, or a faster boil off rate. Not sure, but only ended up with 5gal in the fermenter, rather than my usual 5.5gal.

OG came in at 1.066, (recipe said 1.061), IBU's came in at 29, SRM ~40. Brewhouse Efficiency comes out around 77%. Not bad for only my 4th AG batch!

I also pitched two packs of US-05, just to make sure that it fermented out relatively quickly.

Brewed this a 2nd time 2 wks ago - see post about WAY OVERSHOT OG.
Started at 1.092og@72F on 12/2; now down to 1.030@72F on 12/13
Gonna let it sit for another couple weeks then cold crash and then keg.

Brewed this today.. Everything went pretty textbook only I used 1.5x pale chocolate instead of the regular just to try that malt out. I also pitched Wyeast 1728 slurry.

Brewed this a while back. I liked it a lot. Just now tried a side by side with the original i think i like this recipe better. Thanks for sharing!

I just kegged my batch yesterday. OG and FG were both a little higher than expected, but fermentation is done. Gravity sample tasted fantastic! Can't wait until this babies carbed up next weekend...

I brewed this last month and cracked it open this weekend. Delicious! Even did a side-by-side with actual LHMS, very minor differences, if anything this is slightly more chocolatey, and flavor lingers well. Nice job!

Cracked this keg open the night before the New Years party. Damn it was good. It ended up being the most popular beer I brought to the party (also took two pale ales), and that's among people who aren't big into stouts!

This batch is going fast, looks like I might have to brew another one soon...

I'm planning on making this recipe next week. I just wanted to know what you guys think about using S-04 yeast instead of US-05. I saw haygood (page 12 of this thread) said he used S-04 and US-05 with good results. So, any thoughts, anyone else used S-04 with good/bad results. I have a lot of S-04 in the fridge and its an effort to go get US05.

Thanks

Frikkieman said:
I'm planning on making this recipe next week. I just wanted to know what you guys think about using S-04 yeast instead of US-05. I saw haygood (page 12 of this thread) said he used S-04 and US-05 with good results. So, any thoughts, anyone else used S-04 with good/bad results. I have a lot of S-04 in the fridge and its an effort to go get US05.

Thanks

I used s-04 admittedly without enough research on the strain and entirely my fault let it ferment too warm. Note: too warm for this strain is a room temperature of anything over 67, s-04 heats up and the brew will be likely fermenting several degrees over your room temp. Warmer fermentation s04 throws tons esters (some level of esters are excepted and even desired) but s04 has the potential to throw a smurf ton of esters. I felt I should warn you because my basement stays 66-68 at all times which is normally great for ales but my s04 LH milk stout smells like a banana, my incredibly supportive friends now call it the banana bread stout :-( the ester build up when I pulled the airlock and bung to rack to bottling bucket burnt my nose hairs!? Short version s-04 is great, a friend of mine through LHBC uses it all the time(it flocs well) but if you do not have temp control or a place to keep this in the LOW 60s I would stick to the s-05. The s-04 SHOULD turn out great in this beer though, it will just leave it a little "dirtier" and sweeter than the 05 (I like stouts to feel a little more full) which is why I chose to try it out instead, seeing as you already have it on hand I'm assuming you have used it before and probably know all I just told you about temps, so you will probably have a much better product then I do here haha

Thanks for the speedy reply Marauder. I use the Swamp Cooler method to manage the temperatures, soon to be upgrading to Chest freezer / stc-1000 temperature controller setup. I genereally dont have many issues with temp control. Its a bummer about your runaway fermentation though, I've had 1 or two of those. Pitch yeast night before and wake up to find the temp in bucket at 80F. But, meh, its beer, I'll drink it, haha. It was kind of my concern with S-04. It does tend to have an estery profile and coupled with this recipe, already being as sweet as it is with the Lactose, could make the beer too rich and sweet. None the less I'll give it a go with the S-04, I pretty much use it for any recipe that has the word STOUT in it :p

Frikkieman said:
Thanks for the speedy reply Marauder. I use the Swamp Cooler method to manage the temperatures, soon to be upgrading to Chest freezer / stc-1000 temperature controller setup. I genereally dont have many issues with temp control. Its a bummer about your runaway fermentation though, I've had 1 or two of those. Pitch yeast night before and wake up to find the temp in bucket at 80F. But, meh, its beer, I'll drink it, haha. It was kind of my concern with S-04. It does tend to have an estery profile and coupled with this recipe, already being as sweet as it is with the Lactose, could make the beer too rich and sweet. None the less I'll give it a go with the S-04, I pretty much use it for any recipe that has the word STOUT in it :p

Yeah it is still a drinkable beer for sure it just makes me sad when I drink it because I can tell if I had kept the temp under control this could have been a GREAT beer, I definitely think the s-04 is the right choice if you can monitor temperature better than I did. I will be eagerly checking back in a few weeks to see you bragging about how happy you are about the results haha and then I will likely be inspired to try again

Yeah, I've never had a bad batch with the good o'l S-04. Well, you've inspired me with your optimism, haha. I'll for sure post again when I'm sipping the hopefully awesome finished product. Everone else on this thread raves about this beer, so, if not why not, right :)

bottlebomber said:
Has anyone had this finish awfully high, like 1.028?

Are you accounting for the lactose? I think a # in 5 gal is like .007 you need to account for, did you do extract or all grain? I've heard of an extract curse of finishing high? Also what yeast strain? If you went 04 instead of 05 I think this could result in a slightly higher finish

Marauder said:
Are you accounting for the lactose? I think a # in 5 gal is like .007 you need to account for, did you do extract or all grain? I've heard of an extract curse of finishing high? Also what yeast strain? If you went 04 instead of 05 I think this could result in a slightly higher finish

I used Nottingham, AG, mashed pretty high though at 155. The thing of it is that I fermented damn cold at about 53 degrees. I use Notti that cold all the time, but it may have stalled. I'm just wondering if anyone else has finished that high. It's not too sweet tasting.

What was your OG? Mine was 1.069, and looking back at my notes I finished up there too, at 1.026(subtracting the lactose, as it will not have fermented out, I figure to be the equivalent of 1.019) so you are probably good. That is if you are referring to the Nottingham dry ale yeast, as I think you are, it is only about 2% more attenuating then the s-04 I used. So I'm guessing you got pretty close to as low as you were going to get low ferm temps, and high mash temps, or not. Both these temps corrected might have got you .002-.003 lower? I wouldn't think that is a significant amount, maybe I am wrong? Unless mine was "finished" too high also, but as I had a slightly warm fermentation run away, I doubt it.

This is my first all grain attempt... I just got done with the batch sparge. I hit my numbers except for my second runnings came in a little under 70F

I am onto the boil as we speak... And yes it's 12:30am wtf was I thinking?

Its going to be worth it. I could drink this just as it is. It's fresking delicious. I have high
hopes for this one. It's also going to be the first one in my new fermentation chamber.

This is my first all grain attempt... I just got done with the batch sparge. I hit my numbers except for my second runnings came in a little under 70F

I am onto the boil as we speak... And yes it's 12:30am wtf was I thinking?

Its going to be worth it. I could drink this just as it is. It's fresking delicious. I have high
hopes for this one. It's also going to be the first one in my new fermentation chamber.

OK Everything went awesome for me. I hit my numbers dead on. It only took a few hours to get the airlock bubble,s and it's going strong now...

I do have a question, I hope someone will be able to answer.

I don't think I'm going to Keg this. I think I want to bottle condition it for more of a "cask" type carb... I wanted to do Nitrogen, but I don't have the needed spout for that yet.

First question would be, any thoughts on that. Do you think I'll get any better results doing bottle condition vs force carb in a keg?

Second and main question is what What volume of C02 would you recommend for this type of beer?

Next question would be if I did bottle condition, what priming agent should I use to get more of a "nitrogen/creamy" head on it? Sugar, Corn, Dry Extract... No difference at all?

Thanks to whoever can give me answers...

Back