gelatin finings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My recommendation is this: add it to secondary, let it sit for a few days, then rack and bottle. It won't hurt if you give it a stir initially. If you add it to primary before fermentation is complete, you run the risk of clearing out any remaining active yeast (which could lead to a lower alcohol content then you planned). On the other hand if you let the beer sit in primary for a few weeks, you could then add the gelatin and essentially eliminate the need for secondary......the clarification would take place in the primary vessel as a result of the gelatin. Clear as mud? I hope that helps

My recommendation is this: add it to secondary, let it sit for a few days, then rack and bottle. It won't hurt if you give it a stir initially. If you add it to primary before fermentation is complete, you run the risk of clearing out any remaining active yeast (which could lead to a lower alcohol content then you planned). On the other hand if you let the beer sit in primary for a few weeks, you could then add the gelatin and essentially eliminate the need for secondary......the clarification would take place in the primary vessel as a result of the gelatin. Clear as mud? I hope that helps

If it "clears" the primary will there be enough yeast to carbonate the bottles?

I can't answer that for sure, but I'm leaning toward yes. If you let a beer sit in secondary for months until it's clear, it'll still bottle condition. The way it works (I believe) is there's enough dormant yeast suspended to create that carbonation. Anyone please feel free to correct me on this.

Not sure where in the thread it suggested adding gelatin to chilled beer...but doing so will result in instantaneous coagulation of the gelatine. It needs to be mixed into room temperature beer, prior to chilling.

Think about it...liquid gelatin turns to..."jello" in the fridge. ;)

hmm...just getting around to reading this thread in it's entirety. I've always added my gelatin to a cold keg and it seems to work pretty well. I just add the gelatin to a cup of water, let it sit for 10 minutes, heat it up while mixing until it's all mixed up. I don't even bother cooling it because I don't foresee adding 1 cup of hot water to 5 gallons of cold beer doing any damage. I could be wrong but so far it appears to be working.

cincybrewer said:
hmm...just getting around to reading this thread in it's entirety. I've always added my gelatin to a cold keg and it seems to work pretty well. I just add the gelatin to a cup of water, let it sit for 10 minutes, heat it up while mixing until it's all mixed up. I don't even bother cooling it because I don't foresee adding 1 cup of hot water to 5 gallons of cold beer doing any damage. I could be wrong but so far it appears to be working.

I'm with you on this one. I just put the gelatin in the already cold keg of pumpkin ale that won't get clear. About two or three days later. Boom, clear beer.

So I am about to either keg or tertiary a fruit beer. I don't really have the ability to cold crash until the keg gets hooked up to the tap. Would I be better putting the gelatin in tertiary for a week at room temp then kegging or adding it into the keg and letting it sit for a month+ at room temp then putting it in my kegerator?

I know it's contrary to many of the suggestions, but I've always cold crashed in the keg and added the finings a day later when it's cold. I get clear beer in a matter of 2-3 days. Works like a charm for me

Even at room temperature, gelatin won't stay in suspension for a month (let alone more!)

3-7 days at room temp seems to do it for me. Day one and two don't show much progress, but then suddenly around day 3 or 4 there is a pile of crud (technical term :D) at the bottom of my bucket.

So what exactly does "hydrate and bloom" mean in this context? I've been following BM's and others' procedures so I guess I'm letting it "bloom" but I don't really know what that means...

So is something in particular supposed to happen to indicate that it is blooming? Or do you just wait a bit after adding to the warm water, and then go from there?

So what exactly does "hydrate and bloom" mean in this context? I've been following BM's and others' procedures so I guess I'm letting it "bloom" but I don't really know what that means...

So is something in particular supposed to happen to indicate that it is blooming? Or do you just wait a bit after adding to the warm water, and then go from there?

I use gelatin on occasion depending on what I`m looking for in the finished
product (which style of brew).I think what is meant by blooming is dissolve.
When you heat it up to about 180 you will see a clear film on top of the
water that you hydrated it in.That means it is dissolved.After I see that
I cool to room temp and add it to my secondary after racking off primary.
That is just my technique,others may differ.

Cheers

It is vital to mix with preheated (nearly but not quite boiling) water and let it completely dissolve.

Without this step, the gelatin is not soluble and has no chance of doing it's job properly. The gelatin you added was probably to cool beer and it just fell straight to the bottom of the keg.

If you're going to go straight to the keg with gelatin, prepare for a deeper yeast cake. I took my dip tubes out and gave them a sharper bend so they were about 1/2 inch off the bottom.

Biermuncher, did you do this so that the dip tube sucks the beer from above the yeast/gelatin cake at the bottom? or is this done so that it sucks all of the junk out of the keg first and then all that is left is good beer?

Thanks

Biermuncher, did you do this so that the dip tube sucks the beer from above the yeast/gelatin cake at the bottom? or is this done so that it sucks all of the junk out of the keg first and then all that is left is good beer?

Thanks

I shorten my tubes (by bending or cutting if they're straight) so they rest about 1/2 - 3/4 inch above the bottom. It equates to less than a half pint, but assures that the tube is clear of that thin layer of yeast sediment that compacts very tightly due to the cold.

Because of the compact nature of the yeast cake, one or two initial draws of beer won't "suck it clean" as many people suggest.

Sippin37 said:
Okay that makes sense, thanks for clarifying. I'm going to give it a go and I'll post the results back here in a few weeks.

Ha! Pun intended?

I have some really cloudy beer and it has been advised that I use gelatin to clarify. This is what I have done.

I took the recommended amount of gelatin (cant remember the amount but its on the package) and poured about 17 oz of water onto it. Then I heated it until it dissolved, then I added it to the keg, stirred with my plastic aerator/stir stick that fits on the end of my drill. I did this after crashing the keg for about 18 hours or so at about 35 or 40 degrees (guessing). This was done on Monday and after pouring small amounts every day to see the clarity of the beer, I can say that its still cloudy.

So, my mistake is that I think that I should have let the gelatin sit out longer and let it cool a bit before pitching into the keg. I have not looked into the keg recently, but I will do so in a few days. Maybe I should have pitched the gelatin slurry onto the keg at room temperature?

Anyway, yes I have read this whole thread and my conclusion was as stated above. I should have let the hot gelatin cool a bit before pitching. If I open the keg and see a layer of Jello on top that I believe that was the mistake. I am just looking for reaffirmation, because this was my first kegging experience, and my second batch. My first batch was more clear then this batch. On this batch I used White labs Ale yeast, and my last batch was a honey nut brown from a brand name.

I know home brewers that brew with out and type of clarifying agents and their beer always comes out crystal clear. Could they be too ashamed to admit that they are using it without my knowledge or are they just kick ass brewers? I kinda think they just really know what they are doing.

As a side note I have a home made wort-chiller that is 3/8s by 50 feet long. I thought that it would be excellent for making super clear beer.......I guess I was mistaken and a bit disappointed.

Sounds to me like you did it correctly. Two days is not enough time to see if it clears. Give it a few more days without pulling any samples and I'm sure it will be clearer. I think in this thread it says it works better if the beer is at room temperature but I've always done it in a cold keg and it works great. I also don't think it matters too much if you cool the gelatin. You'll be pouring it onto 5 gallons of cold beer. That will cause the gelatin to cool quickly and won't effect the temp of the beer.

As for getting clear beer, gelatin helps a lot and can cure a lot of problems. But there is a lot that goes into getting a clear beer. Many don't use gelatin and get clear beers. Using a wort chiller, irish moss, cold crashing, hot break (I think?), etc all contribute to clear beers. Oh, and patience. I usually just dump my trub into the fermenter with the hops and all but I let my beer ferment for a minimum of 3-4 weeks.

If you have only brewed a few batches then just have some patience. Your beer will get better and clearer with every batch...If not, create a thread on this forum and describe your process and some "experts" will help you out.

As for getting clear beer, gelatin helps a lot and can cure a lot of problems. But there is a lot that goes into getting a clear beer. Many don't use gelatin and get clear beers. Using a wort chiller, irish moss, cold crashing, hot break (I think?), etc all contribute to clear beers. Oh, and patience. I usually just dump my trub into the fermenter with the hops and all but I let my beer ferment for a minimum of 3-4 weeks.
I do this as well. I usually leave my beer in primary for at least one month before I keg or bottle and it almost always comes out crystal clear.
If you have only brewed a few batches then just have some patience. Your beer will get better and clearer with every batch...If not, create a thread on this forum and describe your process and some "experts" will help you out.
The only time I use gelatin is when I get impatient. Patience is a virtue... this is non more true than brewing beer! I get all cranked up about 10 day ferments and force carbonating, but I've never met a homebrew that didn't benefit from at least a month of aging.

Having said all that, I've been using gelatin in the primary since batch #6 :eek: and I always get good results! Thanks to everyone who has added their knowledge to this thread! :mug:

My friend the chemistry professor assures me that gelatin (and agar, etc) will bloom at any temperature above freezing - it's just much faster at 170f.

If you are lazy or just don't want to bother with reading the temp of the water you can mix it room temperature and let it sit overnight or whatever.

I did it in a small flask on my stir plate overnight once when i forgot that you cannot just dump gelatin grains in water - took a long time for the lump to dissolve. But it worked fine.

Today was my first time using gelatin to clear a beer. I have a pumpkin ale brewed about 3 weeks ago that is still very cloudy. As I was searching for a way to clear it I came across this thread. I used 1 tbs gelatin in 1 cup filtered water. Dissovled gelatin at 110 F for 12 minutes until clear. Heated to 170 F and held for 12 minutes. Cooled in a cold water bath for a few minutes then mixed into the pumpkin beer in primary. Hopefully this works. Thanks for all the great advice posted here!

Cheers!

CS223 said:
Will gelatin clear cider as well?

I'd assume so, gelatin, I think, bonds with yeast cells or something and makes them fall out. But if it doesn't the gelatin doesn't impact flavor or anything so you could always try it and see what happens.

dankbeer said:
Today was my first time using gelatin to clear a beer. I have a pumpkin ale brewed about 3 weeks ago that is still very cloudy. As I was searching for a way to clear it I came across this thread. I used 1 tbs gelatin in 1 cup filtered water. Dissovled gelatin at 110 F for 12 minutes until clear. Heated to 170 F and held for 12 minutes. Cooled in a cold water bath for a few minutes then mixed into the pumpkin beer in primary. Hopefully this works. Thanks for all the great advice posted here!

Cheers!

In about three days it should be pretty clear and good to go.

wcrooker said:
In about three days it should be pretty clear and good to go.

It's already very clear after 24 hours. I'm bottling this on Sunday to get the most from that gelatin.

...I took the recommended amount of gelatin (cant remember the amount but its on the package) and poured about 17 oz of water onto it. Then I heated it until it dissolved, then I added it to the keg, stirred with my plastic aerator/stir stick that fits on the end of my drill. I did this after crashing the keg for about 18 hours or so at about 35 or 40 degrees (guessing). This was done on Monday and after pouring small amounts every day to see the clarity of the beer, I can say that its still cloudy.

In order for gelatin to bind with the particulates, it needs to be thoroughly blended (become one with) with the beer. This can only be done if added to room temperature beer. Adding to a chilled keg, the gelatin simply jellied up and floated.

I use one heaping tablespoon for each five-gallon batch, mixed with 6 ounces of water. (heated to dissolved and then cooled slightly).

Will gelatin clear cider as well?

Depends what is making it cloudy.

If it's pectin, you should have used pectic enzyme 24hrs before fermentation. It doesn't work so well post fermentation.

If it only became cloudy after fermentation, probably. Or maybe it's not finished fermenting. Depends on the yeast really. my apfelwein started and ended clear. i used premier cuvee yeast.

Depends what is making it cloudy.

If it's pectin, you should have used pectic enzyme 24hrs before fermentation. It doesn't work so well post fermentation.

If it only became cloudy after fermentation, probably. Or maybe it's not finished fermenting. Depends on the yeast really. my apfelwein started and ended clear. i used premier cuvee yeast.

I'm just in the pre-planning stages. Ran across a few recipes in the Cider forum I'm thinking about trying using Apple juice. So I presume that starting with bottled apple juice that is clear to begin with, the gelatin should clear it of yeast after fermentation. Pectic enzyme would be used for pressed or raw cider?

I'm just in the pre-planning stages. Ran across a few recipes in the Cider forum I'm thinking about trying using Apple juice. So I presume that starting with bottled apple juice that is clear to begin with, the gelatin should clear it of yeast after fermentation. Pectic enzyme would be used for pressed or raw cider?

well, you may want to use pectic enzyme for any cider - but if you buy cloudy apple juice/cider, pectic enzyme should un-cloud it.

Hard to say, though. I've heard that the cloudy cider is due to set pectins, which would result from heat-pasteurized cider. but the one time i made cider out of unfiltered unpasteurized cider, that stuff went in dark and very cloudy, i added pectic enzyme and k-meta 24 hours before fermentation, and when fermentation was done it was as clear and bright as champagne.

Unfortunately i should have used more k-meta and waited longer. It turned into vinegar pretty fast after it was cider, even in the fridge. I hear that the cool kids are buying UV sterilized unfiltered these days.

There are some who suggest that a lot of pectin present at fermentation contributes to methanol production, and many who say that is nonsense.

it won't hurt, at any rate.

If your cider is finished (hydrometer readings over a few days remain stable) and it is still cloudy, gelatin will probably drop the yeast out of suspension. Depending on how anxious you are to drink it, time might do that for you too.

In order for gelatin to bind with the particulates, it needs to be thoroughly blended (become one with) with the beer. This can only be done if added to room temperature beer. Adding to a chilled keg, the gelatin simply jellied up and floated.

I use one heaping tablespoon for each five-gallon batch, mixed with 6 ounces of water. (heated to dissolved and then cooled slightly).

When you add it, do you just gently dump it in - or try to give it a stir?

LateraLex said:
When you add it, do you just gently dump it in - or try to give it a stir?

I slowly poured the gelatin water mixture into the fermentor. And gently rocked the fermentor to mix it up. I'm brewing with 6 gallon carboys so rocking the carboy works well for mixing.

Cheers!

Hello, I just added Gelatin to my pumpkin beer last night and due to time constraints I will have to bottle this evening. Do you think bottling this soon after adding the gelatin will make adding the gelatin for clarifying puposes pointless? Thanks

2 or few more days would really make big difference. But if you cant't wait ;) Most probably it will clear in the bottles, and you'll finish with jelly sediment. And yeah, bottle carb will take a little bit longer, than usual :)

I tried adding a heated (per BM's instructions) gelatin/water mixture directly to the keg and then racking an IPA on top of it, hit the keg with co2 and then let it sit for a few days at room temp.

Not only did it not clear the beer, but it stripped all the hop aroma from the beer. Only thing I can guess is that A) the beer should have been cold B) the gelatin mix cooled down too much as the beer was racking. If it's normal for gelatin to strip off hop aroma, I doubt I'll use it again as I lean towards hoppy beers.

I tried adding a heated (per BM's instructions) gelatin/water mixture directly to the keg and then racking an IPA on top of it, hit the keg with co2 and then let it sit for a few days at room temp.

Not only did it not clear the beer, but it stripped all the hop aroma from the beer. Only thing I can guess is that A) the beer should have been cold B) the gelatin mix cooled down too much as the beer was racking. If it's normal for gelatin to strip off hop aroma, I doubt I'll use it again as I lean towards hoppy beers.

Gelatin does not affect aroma. It is not an "aroma scrubber". It is totally flavor and aroma neutral and has no capacity to neutralize aroma.

No doubt your beer became substantially less aromatic when chilled, compared to room temperature. (Ice cold beer never has the same flavor or aroma profile as a beer served at temps appropriate for the style.)

With a proper pour and if allowed to sit for a few minutes (to warm slightly), the aroma should come back.

Is there any reason I couldn't throw the bit of water and disolved geletin into the primary, stir that up a tad and let sit a few days and then rack off there? I normally don't do a secondary unless it's a big beer I want to age!

Thanks!

Gelatin does not affect aroma. It is not an "aroma scrubber". It is totally flavor and aroma neutral and has no capacity to neutralize aroma.

No doubt your beer became substantially less aromatic when chilled, compared to room temperature. (Ice cold beer never has the same flavor or aroma profile as a beer served at temps appropriate for the style.)

With a proper pour and if allowed to sit for a few minutes (to warm slightly), the aroma should come back.

BM, I wouldn't have thought gelatin would effect aroma, however this IPA had that awesome massive hop aroma as I racked it to the keg, and absolutely nothing now. Gelatin is the only change to the process I've made.

I keep my kegerator at 40F and let half a pint sit to room temp last night. It still had zero hop aroma, and actually smelled malty. At this point I'll probably pop the keg and toss a few more oz of hops in to re-dry hop it.

Seriously, Knox gelatin is the way to go.

Add it to a keg along with priming sugar and sit back and wait. Crystal clear and carbonated to my liking everytime.

I read through the first dozen pages of this thread but could not find an answer to my particular question regarding adding gelatin to kegged beer. I have 6 kegs that I naturally carbonated with corn sugar several months ago. I placed the kegs in my attached garage that stays around 40F. I am wanting to know if adding gelatin to the kegs after they have been chilled for 24 hours will do any thing at this point in the process to clear the beer. Any thoughts?

Back