Clone Beer Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the input. Also, I'm planning on modifying this recipe a bit, as I think I will be trying to sour it. How much chocolate flavor do you think I'll get from the grain bill alone? I don't really want to overpower it with chocolate and coffee, maybe a hint of each. I wondered about just doing away with the coffe and chocolate additions altogether. I understand this will be a long term experiment, but I'm curious about some other opinions out there.

If using the S-04 yeast, is it necessary to use two packs, as recommended by the OP?

S-04 is a dry yeast and nobody makes a starter from a dry yeast. Pitching two packs is a good idea for a brew of this gravity. It will also help it to hit FG more quickly.

Bottled my V.2 of the Founders Breakfast Stout, made a huge mistake and I think I over primed. I must have added double the dextrose during bottling. The best I can do now is pray for no bottle bombs and keep at my "celler" for as long as I can.

Thankfully enough, that was only a small batch, the larger one was primed correctly.

at what point do I need to be worried about not having enough yeast still in suspension to bottle carb? I did 2 weeks in the primary and plan to bottle after 4 in the secondary. Will i have any issues with bottle carbonation?

I've gone 2weeks primary, 6 weeks secondary, and then split it to add oak and let that sit for 2 months and had no problem carbonating. You may need to give it a few more days to a week to fully carb.

at what point do I need to be worried about not having enough yeast still in suspension to bottle carb? I did 2 weeks in the primary and plan to bottle after 4 in the secondary. Will i have any issues with bottle carbonation?

You should be just fine with a 2 week primary and a 4 week secondary. Actually, I think thats pretty standard so no worries. However, for carbonation give it some time and let it condition at room temp for a while, I would say 3 weeks, though I have had brews carb fine as early as 1 weeks in.

PS: For this specific monster of a flavor brew, give it some time, take it easy and you shall be well rewarded!

Happy brewing!

It's always wise to add additional yeast at bottling to beers you have aged a while in secondary. Adding extra yeast never hurts.

You should be just fine with a 2 week primary and a 4 week secondary. Actually, I think thats pretty standard so no worries. However, for carbonation give it some time and let it condition at room temp for a while, I would say 3 weeks, though I have had brews carb fine as early as 1 weeks in.

PS: For this specific monster of a flavor brew, give it some time, take it easy and you shall be well rewarded!

Happy brewing!

Second this. I brewed on Halloween, and noticed the beer had stalled in Mid-Dec. Kick started it again and it finished the beginning of Jan. Added cold-brewed coffee to secondary and let sit for another 2 weeks.

Total time was ~2 months Primary and 2 weeks Secondary, and they've been in bottles for 2 months right now. No issues with carbonation and it gets better the longer it sits.

Second this. I brewed on Halloween, and noticed the beer had stalled in Mid-Dec. Kick started it again and it finished the beginning of Jan. Added cold-brewed coffee to secondary and let sit for another 2 weeks.

Total time was ~2 months Primary and 2 weeks Secondary, and they've been in bottles for 2 months right now. No issues with carbonation and it gets better the longer it sits.

Yup I have noticed this with a lot of the stouts I have made. Its a stout thing.

I first got to taste it with a java stout I made 8 months back. Tried some with my roommate and he swears there is oats and lactose in there. Nope just a lot of conditioning.
Same thing with my Shakespeare Stout (American stout) clone I made. Amazing taste and yet this one had cascades in it. The more time you give it the better it gets. For a brew as big as FBS, conditioning at a good temp for a long time is a sure fire to success. You wont regret it mate!

Happy brewing.

CastleBlack said:
Yup I have noticed this with a lot of the stouts I have made. Its a stout thing.

I first got to taste it with a java stout I made 8 months back. Tried some with my roommate and he swears there is oats and lactose in there. Nope just a lot of conditioning.
Same thing with my Shakespeare Stout (American stout) clone I made. Amazing taste and yet this one had cascades in it. The more time you give it the better it gets. For a brew as big as FBS, conditioning at a good temp for a long time is a sure fire to success. You wont regret it mate!

Happy brewing.

What's a good temp to keep them at?

What's a good temp to keep them at?

...however, if you are gonna bottle like I do, I condition for 2-3 weeks at a high room temp max 70F so it carbs well while the yeast is still strong. Then I take em all down to my "cellar" usually at around 60F-65F max. The brews to which I have done this two step conditioning are significantly better, cleaner, tasting than the ones I conditioned at a low temp all throughout or a high temp all throughout and with a much better head.

I hope it helps, Happy Brewing!

So I brewed this yesterday march 31 and changed only a couple of things... I dropped 1lb base, made it into a 6.5 gal batch, and used wyeast London ale. Everything went great got 83% eff using Denny's batch sparse method. The question I got to ask... My ibu was set to 27. Is that too low and what's some opinions on how I should expect this one to come out.

So I brewed this yesterday march 31 and changed only a couple of things... I dropped 1lb base, made it into a 6.5 gal batch, and used wyeast London ale. Everything went great got 83% eff using Denny's batch sparse method. The question I got to ask... My ibu was set to 27. Is that too low and what's some opinions on how I should expect this one to come out.

It is IMO since you are going to age this one, (it gets better with time).

I would stick to the recipe on this one, hops do dissipate through time.

Happy brewing to ya and I m sure it ll work out.

My ibu was set to 27. Is that too low and what's some opinions on how I should expect this one to come out.

A bottle of Breakfast Stout says 60 IBU's on it. A KBS, for consideration, says 70 IBU's on it.

I honestly feel like 60 IBU's is appropriate for this recipe; 27 is going to be fairly low...

~Adam

When the OP wrote this recipe he didn't write the IBUs correctly. If you go through the pages on here it mentions it somewhere. The correct IBUs is around 60+, probably more like 70.
See how you like it at around 27, but IMO it will be too sweet.

Yup, go high and let the brew sit for a while, the IBUs are well calculated for a great result.

Happy brewing, I am off to crush some grain for my Alpha King clone!

Well the op had his at 30 so even though founders says 60 I'm gonna just hope for the best seein as he likes his recipe at 30 and I'm pretty close to that! Plus my og was 1.072 and won't be as high as the 8% and up ranges I've seen

Well the op had his at 30 so even though founders says 60 I'm gonna just hope for the best seein as he likes his recipe at 30 and I'm pretty close to that! Plus my og was 1.072 and won't be as high as the 8% and up ranges I've seen

At any rate, I think you will be just fine and the results will very rewarding. 1.072 is fine and 30 IBUs are also ok, perhaps it wont be exactly FBS but nonetheless a fine winter sipper.

Happy brewing to ya and good luck with it.

I have 9 oz of medium toast oak chips going, getting ready to do a Jamaican Breakfast Stout - the only question is, which of the 3oz splits should I use?

I have:
- 3 oz of oak cubes w/ light Jamaican rum + vanilla bean paste

- 3oz of oak cubes that were sitting in bourbon for a year, which I then drained off the bourbon and re-covered with maple syrup for 2 months, then drained off the maple syrup for breakfast (mmm, good) and then filled up with Jamaican dark rum

- 3oz of oak cubes that are just sitting on maple syrup and will probably be drained off and mixed with Kahlua.

I have 9 oz of medium toast oak chips going, getting ready to do a Jamaican Breakfast Stout - the only question is, which of the 3oz splits should I use?

I have:

- 3oz of oak cubes that were sitting in bourbon for a year, which I then drained off the bourbon and re-covered with maple syrup for 2 months, then drained off the maple syrup for breakfast (mmm, good) and then filled up with Jamaican dark rum

- 3oz of oak cubes that are just sitting on maple syrup and will probably be drained off and mixed with Kahlua.

Well now, that's a breakfast stout!

Hope it turns out just great and happy brewing to ya.

Finally tapped into the batch of this I brewed a while back. WOW. Definitely going to do a repeat of this, it's delicious as hell and an absolute monster.

Has anyone tried throwing any Belgian Kiln Coffee malt in this? I was thinking about adding around half a pound. Can't decide if I just want to throw it in, or if I should scale back a bit on the chocolate or roast.

Also, is everyone mashing around 155? Looking at all the specialty grain in this, I wonder if mashing around 152-153 might encourage it to finish closer to .020.

Has anyone tried throwing any Belgian Kiln Coffee malt in this? I was thinking about adding around half a pound. Can't decide if I just want to throw it in, or if I should scale back a bit on the chocolate or roast.

Also, is everyone mashing around 155? Looking at all the specialty grain in this, I wonder if mashing around 152-153 might encourage it to finish closer to .020.

A great idea indeed.

The coffee malt would only add to this brew. Tastes very roasted, a bit like French roast. As or the mashing I think I did mash high on this one. It was 155. The results were great. Finished at 1.020, exactly where I wanted it.

Good luck to ya and let us know how it goes.

Happy brewing.

Getting ready to dip my toe in the water with this next month.
This is what I'm looking at recipe wise:
http://hopville.com/recipe/1255790/russian-imperial-stout-recipes/jbs-clone

Any thoughts or final tweaks?

Your original gravity looks simply: Massive! but your final gravity is high too. This is a beast of a beer. If 1.056 takes it all the way, then I say go for it. I didnt know it went well over 10 AVB. Your IBUs are perfect and your adjuncts are amazingly compatible. To me this looks like one of the best RIS I have seen.

You say you base it off the KBS, do you mind PMing me the recipe?

I have been looking for it for a while now.

Thanks in advance and Happy brewing to ya.

PS: Needless to say you will want to age this monster for a year or so. I will only get better with time, round and soft like a proper RIS should be ;)

PS: Needless to say you will want to age this monster for a year or so. I will only get better with time, round and soft like a proper RIS should be ;)

Indeed. The more I think about it, the more I'll probably do the rum soaked oak in the keg and just put the whole keg aside for a year... similar to what Founders does with the cask.

I have:

I am probably wrong since I just started brewing not long ago, but I was under the impression that after some time passes and you use the chips/cubes long enough the flavor they impart goes down more and more. how would the ones aged for a year then thrown into beer go? I mean I would think it would be amazing but....
also, would say the one aged in bourbon then maple syrup add a ton of flavor of the bourbon and maple without adding any additional maple or bourbon?
I guess you would just leave it in longer right? How long do you usually let cubes sit in on a beer like this and with flavors such as the ones you have?

Chemistry is not my strong suit, but I believe first, the alcohol needs time to pull the flavors out of the wood, then the flavors need to "marry" over time, and mature.

So I'm getting ready to brew this over the weekend. A few weeks back I read this entire thread, but I forget ...

Everybody uses S-04, right? Any 1056? I've never used dry yeast. My pitch rate shows 490 billion cells. Do I pitch 2.5 packets?

I plan on following the recipie, minus the coffee at bottling. I plan on bulk aging until November, and drinking on xmas day. Going for 60 ibu.

It'll also be my first time with my new Boilermaker! Suck it, old 8 gal kettle!!

I just made it this last weekend, and I put half the batch on Wyeast 1728, the other half with S04. Curious how the two will differ, if much at all. I'd wager with such strong flavors, the yeast won't play a major role.

Back