Dual Fermentation Chamber Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiquidFlame

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made this fermentation chamber with a wall in the middle so I can ferment two different beers at two different temperatures at the same time. I made two temperature controllers one for each side using the STC-1000 temperature controller that's been so popular around this forum.

2012-01-29_16-30-26_367.jpg

2012-01-29_17-17-38_632.jpg

2012-02-02_19-48-39_41.jpg

2012-02-03_14-07-03_729.jpg

2012-02-05_15-08-44_147.jpg

2012-02-03_13-40-30_403.jpg

2012-02-09_12-39-11_229.jpg

2012-02-15_20-04-26_935.jpg

2012-02-15_20-03-40_914.jpg

2012-02-09_12-37-51_657.jpg

This is exactly what i am going to do. What is your capacity of kegs & buckets? What size of footprint with everything does it take up?

Thanks
john

This is exactly what i am going to do. What is your capacity of kegs & buckets? What size of footprint with everything does it take up?

Thanks
john

Length: 6' 3", that's from wall to wall with the fridges and a small gap between the wall and fridges for room for heat displacement.

Depth: 2' 1"
Height: 2' 11.5"

Each side can hold 1 6.5 Better Bottle carboy with room for a blow off tube.

2012-04-02_19-41-05_939.jpg

I like it! That's what I call thinking outside the ice box.

Have you done any testing to see if there is any issue with the smaller frig cooling the larger space down to lagering temps? I'd like to make something like this but it would have to be able to work in a detached shed in the Texas summer heat. Do you think these small refrigerators could do that?

Do you like the heat belt? It seems like it would make the middle warmer than that top and bottom

Sorry for taking awhile to reply back.

I like it! That's what I call thinking outside the ice box.

Have you done any testing to see if there is any issue with the smaller frig cooling the larger space down to lagering temps? I'd like to make something like this but it would have to be able to work in a detached shed in the Texas summer heat. Do you think these small refrigerators could do that?

This is my first time using the fermentation chamber, so I don't have any experenice with lagering temps right now. I do have a Lemon Coriander Weiss on one side holding nicely at 70F and a Cream Ale on the other side holding at 62F. I might cold crash the Cream Ale when the fermentation is done, so I'll let you know about the tempatures when that happens.

Do you like the heat belt? It seems like it would make the middle warmer than that top and bottom

I so far have not had any problems with the brew belt and I like it a lot. Here's something else you could also do if you don't like the brew belt idea. http://www.wortomatic.com/articles/Fermentation-Can-Heater

Nice set up, be looking for me to build something like this real soon.

I'm not sure if one refrigerator is powerful enough to cool both sides. If it was, then I'd use some AC fans and your temp controllers rather than two fridges. I'd have the fridge on one side of the chamber and then some fans in the wall that separates the two chambers. The side closest to the fridge would have to be cooler, but I think it would work. Or have the fridge in between the two chambers and then use the fans to go to each chamber to draw off the fridge. I like your setup though.

***Update***

For those that were asking questions about lagering with this setup. I tried cold crashing my cream ale this week and it looks like the lowest temperature I can hold is 50.72F (10.4C). So looks like I wont be lagering or cold crashing with this setup.

Back