MO/Columbus SMaSH IPA: Hop schedule?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zachattack

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First post, but I've been lurking for a while. These forums have been a ton of help in getting me back into brewing and getting me started with all grain.

I've done 2 all grain batches so far and for my 3rd I'm looking to try a basic SMaSH recipe. After doing some reading on the forum I decided on a Marris Otter SMaSH IPA with some type of American hop. I stopped by the LHBS this afternoon to see what they had for hops, I was hoping for Amarillo but somebody walked out with the last bag as I came in the door.

I ended up getting 3 oz of Columbus pellets (13.9% AA), the shop was very helpful and the employee thought that this would be borderline too much for the recipe. Can you guys help me come up with a hop schedule that will give me a solid IPA but still let the malt come through a bit? I understand this is a high AA hop but I was hoping to get lots of flavor/aroma in addition to the bitterness, and I wanted to dry hop a bit as well. So if you think I should buy another ounce or two, the LHBS is right on my way home and I can do that later this week...

I was planning on mashing 13 lbs of Marris Otter, to give me a ~1.063 OG (hopefully! Still dialing in my system). This is for a 5.5-ish gallon batch.

Should I do a FWH? If I do, should I still do a 60 min addition? I'd appreciate any suggestions, this is my first IPA and my first non-kit/recipe so I'm fairly inexperienced in terms of these things.

I got some good info searching the forums but nothing that nailed down a good hop schedule for the MO/Columbus combo.

Thanks!

This is my opinion on Columbus:

I like splitting my bittering addition between FWH and a 60 minute add. I don't like to add much, if any, until <10 minutes left in the boil, because I don't care for the (almost) garlic-y flavor it can add. I think 3 ounces isn't enough for an 1.063 IPA. I would use at least 6.

I'd do something like this:

.5 oz FWH
1 oz 60
.5 oz 10
2 oz 0
2-3 oz DH

I have my mo and columbus smash dry hopping right now. Taste is awsome i was alittle worried because it was quite harsh in the primary but after a week and a half of dry hops pretty good. I used 14 pounds mo, i toasted 2 lbs of it in the oven for 30 min. Hops i did 1oz fwh, .5 oz @ 10min, and 2 oz @ flameout.

This is my opinion on Columbus:

I like splitting my bittering addition between FWH and a 60 minute add. I don't like to add much, if any, until <10 minutes left in the boil, because I don't care for the (almost) garlic-y flavor it can add. I think 3 ounces isn't enough for an 1.063 IPA. I would use at least 6.

I'd do something like this:

.5 oz FWH
1 oz 60
.5 oz 10
2 oz 0
2-3 oz DH

Thanks for the advice! I've heard about the garlic/oniony qualities that some Columbus crops can have, but sticking my nose into the hops and taking a big whiff I can't detect any of that.

Randall, have you done this SMaSH before? Sounds like yours is coming along great. What temperature did you mash at? How much did you dry hop with? What was your OG? I'm going to skip toasting some of the grain for this batch, trying to keep it simple.

It sounds like I should pick up a few more ounces...

I ended up getting 3 oz of Columbus pellets (13.9% AA), the shop was very helpful and the employee thought that this would be borderline too much for the recipe.

LOL I'm doing a MO/Columbus SMaSH IPA this weekend and using 3 oz of Columbus in a ONE gallon batch! (That includes dry hop though). I can post my hop schedule when I get home.

Haha okay, I'll be buying some more. Dukes, I'd love to see the hop schedule, thanks.

Can anyone recommend a mash temperature?

Haha okay, I'll be buying some more. Dukes, I'd love to see the hop schedule, thanks.

Can anyone recommend a mash temperature?

I've been mashing MO based beers that I want to dry out at about 149 and those I wish to maintain a bit of body at 152 or 153.

Its almost 4 weeks in right now. Gonna keg it on Sunday since it would have 2 weeks on dry hops. I used 2oz for dry hops. I think I mashed in around 151-152 first time using mo. I pulled a sample and it was fantastic!

Its almost 4 weeks in right now. Gonna keg it on Sunday since it would have 2 weeks on dry hops. I used 2oz for dry hops. I think I mashed in around 151-152 first time using mo. I pulled a sample and it was fantastic!

Sounds great! I'm excited for mine. I'll pick up an additional 3oz tonight and report back after the brew. I'm still bottling so it'll be a while until I can taste it.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Here's my rediculous MO/Columbus SMaSH! Keep in mind, this will not be well balanced - I'm going for Pliny the Elder hoppy-ness

Name of Brew: SMaSH Columbus IPA - 1 Gallon BIAB
Entry Category: Imperial IPA Type: All Grain
Category Number: 14 Subcategory Letter: C
Starting Gravity: 1.086 SG Batch Size: 1.00 gal
Final Gravity: 1.018 SG Mash Profile: BIAB, Medium Body
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 9.1 %
Bitterness: 167.0 IBUs

Hops Used

Hops Used
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
0.10 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 2 23.0 IBUs
0.20 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.90 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 3 27.8 IBUs
0.10 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.90 %] - Boil 19.0 min Hop 4 13.4 IBUs
0.20 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 22.8 IBUs
0.10 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.90 %] - Boil 12.0 min Hop 7 9.6 IBUs
0.10 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.90 %] - Boil 11.0 min Hop 8 9.0 IBUs
0.20 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 16.6 IBUs
0.10 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.90 %] - Boil 9.0 min Hop 10 7.6 IBUs
0.10 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.90 %] - Boil 8.0 min Hop 11 6.9 IBUs
0.10 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.90 %] - Boil 7.0 min Hop 12 6.2 IBUs
0.10 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.90 %] - Boil 6.0 min Hop 13 5.4 IBUs
0.20 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 14 9.2 IBUs
0.10 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.90 %] - Boil 4.0 min Hop 15 3.7 IBUs
0.10 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.90 %] - Boil 3.0 min Hop 16 2.9 IBUs
0.10 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.90 %] - Boil 2.0 min Hop 17 1.9 IBUs
0.10 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.90 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 18 1.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.90 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 19 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.90 %] - Dry Hop 14.0 Days Hop 21 0.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.90 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 22 0.0 IBUs

Grains Used

Fermentables
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3 lbs 4.0 oz Maris Otter (Crisp) (4.0 SRM) Grain 1 100.0 %

Other Ingredients Used

Misc Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
0.20 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 5 -

Yeast Used

Yeasts Used
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
0.2 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 20 -

Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Saccharification Add 8.94 qt of water at 158.5 F - 152.1 F 75 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min - 168.0 F 10 min

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I just wanted to update everyone, this has been in the bottle almost 3 weeks and I've been drinking it all week. It came out great! A beautiful dark golden color, a good amount of bitterness but tons of hop flavor, and an amazing dry malty aftertaste from the MO. What an awesome simple beer :mug:

What was the final recipe you used? I have a pound of Columbus coming in the mail soon and this looks like an opportunity to use some up

I had enough Marris Otter to get me an OG of 1.060 (I was shooting for 1.063 and missed a tiny bit) then I hopped it pretty much how heywatchthis suggested above. I don't remember my exact hop schedule (recipe is on Beersmith at my home PC) but for my 5.5-6 gallon batch I did something like:

.5 oz FWH
1 oz @ 60
.5 oz @ 10
2 oz @ 0
2 oz dry hop

I mashed at 152-153 and used US-05, the result is very well balanced for such a simple recipe. I don't taste any of the rumored onion/garlic character.

I just tasted my MO/Columbus SMaSH posted above last night for the first time and didn't get any onion/garlic either. Just delicious "C" hop citrus.

:mug:

It's a great tasting hop. And I really like the crisp aftertaste from the MO, almost like dry toast. It gives the beer a real nice finish.

these all sound tasty and good, I am dying to try my hand at brewing a SMaSH & have a couple questions

I understand the purpose of a SMaSH and, as a beginner, it sounds like a great way to learn malts and hops. playing around with a recipe in Beersmith and it is taking some effort to fit it into any particular style (especially color with a grain like MO). I'm now presuming that any thought of shoehorning a SMaSH to a style would be futile? Call it a 23A with Unusual Technique?

anyone have any experience submitting a SMaSH into competition?

what yeast does everyone use?

I think there are a few SMaSH beers that could be exactly to style. German pils, maybe an alt, saison, etc.

So I brewed a similar SMaSH IPA, but this time with Vienna malt. Kept the Columbus hopping exactly the same. I think the hops were a lot fresher this time around (individual sealed packs from Austin Homebrew instead of a big ziplock at my HBS), and they were 15% alpha instead of the 13.9% from last year. I bottled last night, and the hydro sample maybe tasted more bitter than last time, but it was also exploding with fruity hop flavor. I'm really excited, I can't wait for them to carb up. Although I mashed at 152 I somehow got 87% apparent attenuation with the US-05, 1.061 to 1.008.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Planning on brewing up a Columbus/2 row smash this weekend with some leftover hops I have in the freezer. Hopefully tastes as good as everyone else's came out tasting

Tentative hop schedule is 60 min 1 oz, 30 min .5 oz, 5 min .5 oz, flame out 2 oz. Dry hop with 1-2 oz depending on how much I have left after that.

This will be for a 3 gallon batch, OG 1.078-80ish. S-04 yeast pitch

Planning on brewing up a Columbus/2 row smash this weekend with some leftover hops I have in the freezer. Hopefully tastes as good as everyone else's came out tasting

Tentative hop schedule is 60 min 1 oz, 30 min .5 oz, 5 min .5 oz, flame out 2 oz. Dry hop with 1-2 oz depending on how much I have left after that.

This will be for a 3 gallon batch, OG 1.078-80ish. S-04 yeast pitch

Did you ever end up brewing this one? I'm looking at doing a 2 row Ctz this weekend.

Hi all,

This thread was really helpful for me, I'm planning this recipe for a 1 gallon (4.5 litre) batch (I'm in Europe so I'm metric baby) and I'd love any feedback on it!:

Maris Otter 1152g
40mins at 63 C
30mins at 72 C
Mashout at 77 C

Boil adding hops (all Columbus - in grams):

First Wort Hop - 2.8g
60mins - 5.7g
10mins - 2.8g
0mins - 11.3g
Dry Hop - 11.3g

Yeast - Safale US 05

I'm hoping the beer will turn out very light coloured and very hoppy! Question are:
- How does the malt to hops ratio look
- With dry hopping, what day is best to add this?

Thanks for all/any help!

LL

Latest posts

Back