Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its easy... With all the soaps, blade, razor, and brush combinations the possibilities are almost as endless as beer making.

So you see lots to talk about

I can't believe 961 posts on wet shaving and it is still going strong. :confused:

......enjoy :D

Just because you find a thread hilarious and wonder why anyone would discuss styptic pencil, toilet paper, and face burn, doesn't give you a right to disparage it

Just because you find a thread hilarious and wonder why anyone would discuss styptic pencil, toilet paper, and face burn, doesn't give you a right to disparage it

...and only 10 minutes to get a reply.

Take it easy, just kidding. I don't care if it is a popular conversation, just find it interesting . ;)

For like 10 months now every time I hit the "new posts" tab this post is there. I guess I am the oddball.

...maybe I am jealous my threads are not as popular?

...and only 10 minutes to get a reply.

Take it easy, just kidding. I don't care if it is a popular conversation, just find it interesting . ;)

That's why there are almost 17,000 views to this thread.;) I find it interesting because I started shaving over 40 years ago.

Actually it was 4 min, I just didn't quote you

LOL,, I guess I missed yours because I wasn't expecting such a pleasant reply. :mug:

BTW...I made the same comment way back more toward the begining of this thread and I was surprised then...imagine how surprised I am now. :D

I usually shower shave now, too. Always with the grain to avoid ingrown hairs using a mach 3 or gilette sensor or whatever blades are fresh. My DW and I have a collection of razors and only buy blades for them when we have coupons and they go on sale. I think we have six or seven different types of razor handles to fit any of the blades when they go on sale.

So funny to use a pink Venus lady's razor handle on a mach 3 blade, but it works. I hate how expensive the packs of blades are. If I could get an old straight razor to shave as close and as cleanly as my mach 3, i'd buy it.

aiptasia said:
I usually shower shave now, too. Always with the grain to avoid ingrown hairs using a mach 3 or gilette sensor or whatever blades are fresh. My DW and I have a collection of razors and only buy blades for them when we have coupons and they go on sale. I think we have six or seven different types of razor handles to fit any of the blades when they go on sale.

So funny to use a pink Venus lady's razor handle on a mach 3 blade, but it works. I hate how expensive the packs of blades are. If I could get an old straight razor to shave as close and as cleanly as my mach 3, i'd buy it.

My straight razor gets me about 12 times closer than my Mach ever got. My double edge razors shave way better as well, the learning curve on both was not too harsh and I now feel like I shave like a real man, like... John Wayne, James Dean, and my personal hero... my dad, RIP.

My straight razor gets me about 12 times closer than my Mach ever got. My double edge razors shave way better as well, the learning curve on both was not too harsh and I now feel like I shave like a real man, like... John Wayne, James Dean, and my personal hero... my dad, RIP.

Pretty much. I think I'm close to pulling the trigger on a straight and strop myself..

iaefebs said:
12 times closer seems like you would have no skin left.

Well I didn't actually calculate it!

Let me rephrase that last post... my DE razors get me a much closer shave compared to my Mach 3, my straight razor gets me a much closer shave than my DE razors.

When I shaved with my Mach I would have visible stubble by the evening, with a DE I can push 2 days and look presentable with a shadow midday on the second day. With the straight I can go till evening on day 2 without much of a shadow.

Amazing how nice it is to shave with a de again. The edwin jagger is so well balanced hardly have to think about angle at all.

azscoob said:
Well I didn't actually calculate it!

Let me rephrase that last post... my DE razors get me a much closer shave compared to my Mach 3, my straight razor gets me a much closer shave than my DE razors.

When I shaved with my Mach I would have visible stubble by the evening, with a DE I can push 2 days and look presentable with a shadow midday on the second day. With the straight I can go till evening on day 2 without much of a shadow.

That's be nice. I shaved around noon one day, tried not shaving the following morning and I looked like a bag of ass about 11 am. I have to shave daily for the required appearance for the Marines.

Switched to a straight razor and a strop a couple months ago. I used to get really bad razor burn towards the end of the week with a mach3, and that's completely gone.

Except for the one time I took it easy on the stropping for a day - had a couple good bleeders after that, but once I started keeping that blade sharp enough to split hairs it was really nice.

CHefJohnboyardee said:
Gillette 7 O Clock Greens (Super Stainless). Why have I just now discovered you?!

Have you compared these to the the dark blue platinum 7 o clocks? I only have 2 platinums left and will be trying the greens next. So far these are my favorite blade, I just wish anything lasted more than two shaves.

Gillette 7 O Clock Greens (Super Stainless). Why have I just now discovered you?!

I have a pack of these to try. Hadn't heard much about them...

Have you compared these to the the dark blue platinum 7 o clocks? I only have 2 platinums left and will be trying the greens next. So far these are my favorite blade, I just wish anything lasted more than two shaves.

I like those. The Astra SPs can be had for about 9 cents, and I have no problem tossing them after 2-3 shaves at that price. 2 shaves on each blade would run about $17 for the year in blades. Pretty cheap compared to cartridges.

I don't remember if I liked the dark blue 7OC or the black ones...

It has been a while since I have tried either. I will try them next. I know I only get 2-3 shaves from the yellows and they aren't as smooth. The greens gave me a great shave in one pass... the second made it amazing.

There are also two types of greens, the St Petersburg and the India ones. Blacks are also from India and the blues are St P's but I could have those mixed up. The St Petersburg plant also makes Astras which I recently traded a bunch away for Sharks and Shark Chromes.

Meh, to each their own. I'm darn close to just getting a straight and strop.

Ok guys I'm ready to get into a DE. I've had enough of electric shaving and I refuse to pay $35 for cartridges that only last me 2-3 shaves.

So I'm sorry if this has been discussed, but there are a lot of posts in this thread. How does one choose from among the various razors? E.g. what's the difference between a $179 Feather and an $18 Weishi?

It would be nice to make my own handle using a head like this, but I have no idea of the quality, or how much of a difference it would make for my shave.

I've read that blades are personal preference. I have a friend who wet shaves (using this Merkur), and he said I can try a few of his to get started.

And then of course, brushes. TheGoldenNib has plenty to choose from. I guess the Silvertip or Super Badger are the highest quality. Do I care much about shape and size?

Thanks much,

-Joe

nostalgia said:
Ok guys I'm ready to get into a DE. I've had enough of electric shaving and I refuse to pay $35 for cartridges that only last me 2-3 shaves.

So I'm sorry if this has been discussed, but there are a lot of posts in this thread. How does one choose from among the various razors? E.g. what's the difference between a $179 Feather and an $18 Weishi?

It would be nice to make my own handle using a head like this, but I have no idea of the quality, or how much of a difference it would make for my shave.

I've read that blades are personal preference. I have a friend who wet shaves (using this Merkur), and he said I can try a few of his to get started.

And then of course, brushes. TheGoldenNib has plenty to choose from. I guess the Silvertip or Super Badger are the highest quality. Do I care much about shape and size?

Thanks much,

-Joe

You can start with some inexpensive stuff to see if you like it and go from there. Seems lots of folks start with used vintage Gillette razors from eBay. Definitely don't need to drop $200 on your first razor. I like my '67 Slim Adjustable and fat handle tech razors.

I have some blades from a sampler I could send you to try.

I think there are some $35 starter kits on amazon with a brush, bowl, soap, and razor that might be worth while to check out.

I started with a Merkur 1904 and liked it. I still use it. I eventually went vintage and got a 61 Fatboy. I still use a cheap brush and couldn't be happier with it.

It is easy to spend more on shaving but it is also easy to not spend a whole lot and shopping around helps a lot.

I don't remember if I liked the dark blue 7OC or the black ones...

It has been a while since I have tried either. I will try them next. I know I only get 2-3 shaves from the yellows and they aren't as smooth. The greens gave me a great shave in one pass... the second made it amazing.

There are also two types of greens, the St Petersburg and the India ones. Blacks are also from India and the blues are St P's but I could have those mixed up. The St Petersburg plant also makes Astras which I recently traded a bunch away for Sharks and Shark Chromes.

Meh, to each their own. I'm darn close to just getting a straight and strop.

interesting, i love the yellows. the greens are good too, as are the blues. i don't really think you can go wrong with the gillette 7oC series.

I just ordered myself some new cremes TOBS sandalwood and Mr Taylor, also ordered a stand for my blade and brush and Taylors No.74 Lime aftershave.

I think I've gone through the Avacado creme too fast as I was lathering on my face and not in a bowl so was using too much of it.

Put together my first order from The Golden Nib and Amazon. Thanks for the inspiration ;)

Merkur 34C with 5-pack of Merkur blades
Osma Natural Alum Block
Proraso shaving soap
Astra Superior Blades
Sharp Blades
Shark DE Blades
22mm Finest Badger Knot XH

-Joe

I have a few DE safety razors. For myself I find an aggressive razor with a mild blade work the best. I have a Futur, not fond of the snap-on head. The Progress is a far superior razor, and about 20 bucks less. Love the HD, not a fan of Parkers. My current favorite is a Merkur slant bar with a Shark blade. Imagine an adjustable razor you don't need to adjust. Use the different sides of the blade. When I use an adjustable I do change it throughout the shave for different areas.

Soap? Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving cream blows everything else out there away. I have Proraso stuff too, so I use begrudgingly. Soap works best with a boar brush. You can get a decent lather after about 5 minutes of effort. That being said Proraso is only minimally cheaper than Taylor and Van Der Hagen is just as good and you can get it for $1.50 at Walmart.

Brush, Boar for soap, but far and away the best is badger and cream. While I don't like Parker razors I do like their brushes. A pure badger will get you there, and a Parker will be less than 40 bucks, step up to a silvertip (65 currently) and you really are ready to rock and roll.

After beating myself up trying to get my neck nice and smoothe, and getting minor weepers that would raise a bit from swelling, then the next day I would shave the bumps again. This kept my neck in a constant red bump state in a few places. I never had this problem before....

I had an "aha" moment, thinking back to when I got perfect neck but lackluster face shaves, I loaded a tech with a wilkenson sword blade and shaved my face with a persona in my ABC Gillette, and shaved my neck with the tech.

Nice and smoothe again, till I find the right blade for both this will do for now.

Just won a 1962 Gillette Slim adjustable on EBay, it looked pretty clean but needs some work I'm sure. I'll post pics when it comes in.

Just put a new Feather in the slant bar. If you aint tried a slant you have no idea what you're missing. They say they're a really aggressive razor, I find it really mild. The angled blade slices rather than just whacking the beard, smoothest shave ever.

Just put a new Feather in the slant bar. If you aint tried a slant you have no idea what you're missing. They say they're a really aggressive razor, I find it really mild. The angled blade slices rather than just whacking the beard, smoothest shave ever.

I love my slant wish I would have started with it.

My knot arrived today! I found a nice piece of wood in my stash and went to town.

brush6.jpg

Now if my darn razor would just get here :D

-Joe

anyone have blades they would want to swap with derby supers?? I am always up for doing a 5 blade swap to try new blades

Latest posts

Back