American IPA BierMuncher's Outer Limits IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks BM. 1056 is my go to yeast for pales and browns. I think I will go with that. Can't wait to taste this one. I too love the honey malt. I used it for the first time a couple weeks ago for my Rainwater Rye. Happy brewing!

I am a bit confused about the first hop addition, It says it is a first wort addition, but it also says added 60 min into the boil. Is it supposed to be added before the boil a la first wort, or is it supposed to be added sixty minutes in?

I am a bit confused about the first hop addition, It says it is a first wort addition, but it also says added 60 min into the boil. Is it supposed to be added before the boil a la first wort, or is it supposed to be added sixty minutes in?

Hop times are how long the hops get boiled...not how far into the process they get tossed in.

FWH / 60 means they go in pre-boil, and assumes there will be a 60 minute boil.

Thank you for responding. I should have chosen my words more carefully there, I meant to say something along the lines of should it be added at the sixty minute mark. I understand how to read hop times and I know what first wort hopping is, I wasn't looking at the hop schedule and reading it backwards, the confusion came because the boil time was listed as 75 minutes. Thank you for clearing that up, looking forward to trying this one.

Brewing Out-limits IPA this afternoon in Florida. Looking forward to my out come. It hot afternoon, but I would rather brew than go to out annual boat races here in Sarasota. I'll let you know as it progresses. Should be great after I return from Portland in August.

I brewed this using a 1056 yeast. Had an og of 1.080. Left it in the primary for 18 days before racking. FG was only 1.034. It is sweet but not too bad.

I brewed this using a 1056 yeast. Had an og of 1.080. Left it in the primary for 18 days before racking. FG was only 1.034. It is sweet but not too bad.

Wow, that is extremely high for a FG. Did you use a starter? What was your mash temp?

g-star said:
Wow, that is extremely high for a FG. Did you use a starter? What was your mash temp?

My mash temp was 150. I did not use a starter. In hindsight, I think I should have.

My mash temp was 150. I did not use a starter. In hindsight, I think I should have.

Yeah, based on the pitching rate calculator on Mr. Malty you pitched less than 1/3 of the proper amount of yeast. Live and learn.

Brewed Outer-limits last Sunday. OG 1.070. Going to transfer to secondary today and begin dry hopping. Looks great. The fermentation was wicked, possibly a little warm at 70-72 degrees. Looks like a nice brew.

I moved the beer to the secondary and dry hopped aver 7 days in the primary. Should I continue to keep it at 70-72 degrees or should I drop the temperature towards mid or low 60's for the next week or so while it dry hops?
Thanks,

Brewed this back at the end of May. I mashed a bit lower at 152F and exchanged the Nugget for more Centennial and replaced the Glacier with Citra. Tasted a sample at 30 days and was disappointed with the fact that the aroma was dominated by alcohol. Left it in the kegerator on gas for another three weeks, and just poured the first full pint tonight. At seven weeks, this beer is a great example of an American IPA. It pours a copper-brown with a two to three-finger head. Lacing on the glass is amazing all the way down. The aroma is full of tropical fruit - apricot; none of the alcohol burn remains in the aroma or flavor. The front of the taste is grapefruit-like, with the middle again hinting of apricots. The end is a nice bitter, leaving me ready for the next taste.

This one is a keeper. Thanks for the recipe BierMuncher. :mug:

Thinking of doing this soon. I have Wyeast 1056 on hand. Do you think it would go well with this beer?

BM..any advice on what profile I would wind up with if I pitched this on a sterling gold cake of S-05? seems with all the attentuation issues, I would need to pitch 2 paks of 04, just wondering if I could save a few bucks and not wind up witha noticable difference.
thx

BierMuncher,

Great recipe and thank you for posting! I followed the instructions exactly and dry hopped for 7 days then kegged. Mine came out looking like a cup straight from the Mississippi and I ended up running it through a plate filter to clarify. What did you do to get yours to come out so clear?

Before (right) After (left)

Thanks!
Shaun

Mudbeer.jpg

BierMuncher,

Great recipe and thank you for posting! ...What did you do to get yours to come out so clear?

Thanks!
Shaun

• Gelatin in the secondary after dry hopping for about 3-4 days.
  • Cold crashing in the keg for about 2-3 weeks.
  • Make sure the diptubes in your kegs are not resting on the bottom surface of your keg. I usually bend mine a bit sharper to get them up from the bottom a bit, or cut the tubes that are straight.

• Gelatin in the secondary after dry hopping for about 3-4 days.
  • Cold crashing in the keg for about 2-3 weeks.
  • Make sure the diptubes in your kegs are not resting on the bottom surface of your keg. I usually bend mine a bit sharper to get them up from the bottom a bit, or cut the tubes that are straight.

Is it okay to keep the dip tubes the normal length, and just throw out the first few pints?

Hi folks, brewed this excellent recipe a week ago today! Due to my in-attentiveness, I ended up with 6 gallons at 1.070 OG. After seven days at 64* I'm only at 1.030. I pitched two packs of S-04. Should I increase fermentation temps to 70* or add some amylase enzyme? I was hoping to use the yeast cake from this brew for a Double Bastard clone I'll be brewing next weekend. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and for the wonderful recipe!!

Hi folks, brewed this excellent recipe a week ago today! Due to my in-attentiveness, I ended up with 6 gallons at 1.070 OG. After seven days at 64* I'm only at 1.030. I pitched two packs of S-04. Should I increase fermentation temps to 70* or add some amylase enzyme?!

What was your mash temp? I had problems with a stuck fermentation when following the OP and mashing at 159F for 45min.

Same as OP--159* for 45 mins. I had a vigorous fermentation for 4 days (needed a blow off tube) and visible airlock activity for 6 days. I'm surprised yesterday's gravity reading didn't reveal more. At any rate, further suggestions/advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I'd say you're having the same problem I did...a very dextrinous (unfermentable) wort. Ar this point, more sach yeast isn't going to help. You can add amylase enzyme, but that is unpredictable. You can brew another similar dry beer and blend the two. Or you can just drink your very sweet and full-bodied IPA that you have now.

FWIW, I dumped and re-brewed, mashing at 152F for 60min. Came out nice.

I'd say you're having the same problem I did...a very dextrinous (unfermentable) wort. Ar this point, more sach yeast isn't going to help. You can add amylase enzyme, but that is unpredictable. You can brew another similar dry beer and blend the two. Or you can just drink your very sweet and full-bodied IPA that you have now.

FWIW, I dumped and re-brewed, mashing at 152F for 60min. Came out nice.

Thanks for the repeated follow-ups. I suppose I should have read the thread more carefully and mashed at a lower temp. Oh well, I now know more about the effects of mash temp on fermentables. I'm slowly bringing the temp up to 70* and will give it a stir and a few days to see what, if any, progress is made. I'm still considering the AE given the success, albeit varied, of others. I can't/don't want a syrupy/sweet beer. I'll report back to this thread with updates so others may learn.

Brewed this about a month ago and bottled 2 days ago. I hit all my numbers and I know it's way too early for an official taste test, but at two days in the bottle, this beer tastes AWESOME.

Tons of grapefruit/citrus hop flavor and aroma with just enough malt to balance the bitterness. I really think the honey malt comes through well.

Now I just need to wait until it's actually carbed :p.

Really great recipe, BierMuncher :mug:

Just to update. I added amylase enzyme (AE) and have, by all indications, finished fermentation at 1.019.

Final calculations (6 gals):
OG 1.070
FG 1.030
FG w/ AE 1.019

Cool. I'd just be cautious if you bottle, don't want bottle bombs if the AE keeps working after you prime. I'd wait at least a week to make sure your FG is steady.

Brewed this today. (Finally!!) Did the malt bill almost identically - except I dropped 4 oz of the Munich. (Yeah. That's the only edit.)
The hops had to be changed due to my current stock, so I went Galena instead of Horizon for the bittering addition. I'll be subbing 0.25oz Galena for the 0.5 oz Glacier in the dry hop, as well, simply because I need to use the Galena up and don't have a particularly good Glacier sub handy.
I remember how awesome this was when I reviewed it as part of the 10der & Mild swap, and am looking forward to having some on tap - even if it's only half as good as BM's version was.

Newby here, just making sure I understand the hopps additions. It says 75 minute boil and first hopp addition starts at 60 min first wort hop. Does that mean let boil for 15 minutes and then start hopp additions @ 60 min?

Thanks for the help, looking forward to brewing this recipe.

Cool. I'd just be cautious if you bottle, don't want bottle bombs if the AE keeps working after you prime. I'd wait at least a week to make sure your FG is steady.

Absolutely! A few days following my last post, I was preparing to keg and took another gravity reading. The (final) FG was 1.016! The AE kept working as noted earlier in the thread.

At any rate, the beer is now dry-hopped in the keg and I forced carbed for two days at 30psi. Earlier today I reduced the pressure to 10 psi and pulled a sample. While it's still under-carbed, I must say it's in the top two beers I've brewed (the other being EdWort's Haus Pale Ale with my Honey Malt addition).

I can't wait to try this when it reaches optimum carbonation! :ban::mug:

Newby here, just making sure I understand the hopps additions. It says 75 minute boil and first hopp addition starts at 60 min first wort hop. Does that mean let boil for 15 minutes and then start hopp additions @ 60 min?

Thanks for the help, looking forward to brewing this recipe.

I'm easily confused and assume I would just chuck 'em in with first runnings and boil for 75 min:confused::drunk:

I'm still playing around with salt additions for this, would you use a standard pale ale water profile? Or because of all the speciality grains (malty), would you go more towards a brown or amber malty profile and just let the hops provide the bitterness?

My water;
CA - 13
Mg - 2
Na - 22
Cl - 12
So4 - 36
CaCO2 - 23

Pale Ale Profile
Ca - 165
Mg - 18
Na - 25
So4 - 300
Cl - 55
Bicarb - 180
So4/Cl = 5.5 (off the chart bitter)

or the "Brown Malty"
Ca - 60
Mg - 5
Na - 20
So4 - 28
Cl - 39
Bicarb - 160
So4/Cl = 0.7 (malty profile)

:drunk:

Lately I've been targeting 200 ppm of sulfate for my IPAs/APAs and really like the results. Chloride was sub-30 in each case.

Just put 5 gallons of this into the bucket. Hit 1.078 OG. Wort tasted great.

Using Wyeast 1272 with a starter.

Back