Homemade Mash Paddle Pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnstormer

Reaction score
Here is the mash paddle I made. $6 worth of wood and a little time. Sure beats ordering one for $65! Just thought I'd share.

mash paddle 3.jpg

mash paddle 2.jpg

I got a 4'x4" piece of hickory. They had oak, cherry, aspen, and maple as well, but the hickory was less expensive and still a decent hardwood. Glad you guys like it. I'm hoping to my first AG with it this weekend!

you leave the paddle unfinished right? or do you coat it with anything? i would think that you wouldn't want any varnish to get in your mash. Just wondering because im thinking of making one of my own.

I cut it to 36" long. The paddle is 16" and the handle is 20". The board I purchased was already 3.5" wide so that is how wide the paddle end is. The handle is 1.5" wide and I think it is 3/4" thick. Instead of trying to use a scroll saw and make a design, I just used 1", 1.5", and 2" hole saws to cut the holes. They might not be the fanciest design but they look good I think and are better than I could have done with a scroll saw.

Yes!!! You leave it unfinished, no varnish or stain. I did seal the wood with butchers block oil. I wouldn't use it after every mash though, just from time to time to keep the wood nice. Some people don't even like to use that and keep it totally natural though. Just a matter of opinion I guess.

Very nice! 20 is still better than 50+. And it is much more gratifying to make it yourself. Nice work!

I don't think the oil has a taste, but it didn't occur to me to taste my paddle when I was done. ;) I haven't used it yet either so I really can't say for sure.

Nice paddle. Did you use any wood glue? I see screws so I'm not sure. I know most wood glued state "not intended for continued submersion." It looks kind of old school though. I like it.

Nice paddle. Did you use any wood glue? I see screws so I'm not sure. I know most wood glued state "not intended for continued submersion." It looks kind of old school though. I like it.

Thank you :)
No, I'm not use any glue or oil. Only wood and screws.
"I don't use glue or oil" - thats right?

bada$$ = very cool... the $$ is replacing the letters ss. Doing that so I am not spelling out any bad words.

walnut oil works very well for this sort of thing and if you let it dry well it is flavorless.

walnut oil works very well for this sort of thing and if you let it dry well it is flavorless.

Yes, I know that. But I think oil (can I write "oiling"?) do not really need for well dried oak. And wulnut oil is hard to find in Russia.

Please, tell me, if I do many mistakes

nice paddles! A little to alot of uniqueness in making them!

and don't worry about a few grammar mistakes Whiplash... Better English then half the people here! (my self included!)

You might be able to use mineral oil on the [wood] paddles IF they start to dry out and split. It's what you use on wood cutting boards (such as butcher blocks) to keep them from drying out.

I got my paddle base from Restaurant Depot, using the wood mixing paddle and then putting some holes in it. Paddle cost in the $6-$8 range for a 3' long version (they also have 2' and 4' versions)...

I am hunting for a wood blank that has a lot of good character in it that I can make into a paddle.

If your having trouble finding wood consider looking at cargo pallets. It may sound wierd but most of them are good hard wood, occasionally exotics. I took wood shop for 4 years back in high school and the first few days were usually pulling nails.

Here's another one, similar to some others. I had a spare piece of oak from my son's science project a few years back. The rest was recovered from a set of old TV trays....bamboo maybe?

Thanks for all of the inspiration!

Back