Suggestions for controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I didn't respond yesterday J's. I had to go to Colorado. I think I'm going to go with red flex tubing. I could use some of the stainless though.

11/2012 I have had no problem with my element selector switch but decided to swap it out with a higher capacity switch that PJ has been recommending. The recommended switches for switching the element are the NKK S series high capacity models as found here.

They have screw connectors that I could not get 10 gauge stranded wire to go on. I used crimp connectors with double ratchet crimpers. You must use good crimpers.

Ok, so you think three of these will work?
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/POWER-FIRST-Toggle-Switch-2VLT7?Pid=search
Also can I use one six circuit terminal block like this one, instead of three?
31aFtkUnljL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so you think three of these will work?
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/POWER-FIRST-Toggle-Switch-2VLT7?Pid=search
Also can I use one six circuit terminal block like this one, instead of three?
31aFtkUnljL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I don't think one is enough. I'd get two six circuit one's with some matching metal jumpers to connect the respective lines or use three bus bars that I linked a few pages back from West Marine. I need to double check how many terminal positions I used but I'm pretty sure that two six pos. strips are plenty.

Edit: After looking at it again, I'd say it's pretty close to twelve connections the way I wired it.

AdamCanFly,

After thinking about it some more, I'd say two strips will definitely provide enough connections. One of the problems though is that the way I had them crammed in, the crimp connectors would run into each other making it necessary to separate them out a bit. With two strips, you'd free up some of that space so it'd be easier to use both sides of the strips allowing plenty of connections.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I forgot, if you go the terminal strip route, make sure they're rated for 30 amps for this project. The bus bars I linked are rated at 100 amps.

Awesome!

I just made a stir plate today and got a starter going to brew with the new controller on Sunday! I'll take some pics of the basement laundry room brewery. It's not much, but I have a vent fan and water filter set up all in the same spot. I'm hoping things will be a bit easier.

I finally got some brewing in today!

Since I built this controller I've had to get my brew area prepared for the maiden voyage. I set everything up in the basement laundry room which had a painted concrete floor that kept flaking off so I had to strip that first and then I had to relocate a bunch of junk. I got all of that done, set up a vent fan out of my dryer outlet and a shelf for the controller and the variac that I'm using to control my fan's speed. I set up a water filter in the area as well. I ran out of money for now so I ended up using a garden lounger for my stand (it's stronger than you'd think!) and I currently have unfinished walls though the vent fan seemed to take all the steam out.

The controller worked great and being that it got up to 96º today, I'm really glad I was inside.

When I was cleaning, the GFCI tripped. Apparently the pump, it's cord or plug was getting wet. I unplugged it and reset and everything was fine.

I brewed a two-hearted-esque IPA today.

In the pics, you'll see that I set up the vent so that I can move it directly over either the HLT or BK.

There's a lot I'd like to improve in my setup overall. I'd like to go to a HERMS at some point and with the new controller that should be pretty easy.

Here's some pics:

controller.jpg

setup.jpg

fan setup.jpg

mash.jpg

sparge.jpg

Awesome! Does it make things easier? Is there anything you would change on the controller? I can't wait to get mine going!

It does make things easier because you can do other things while your water sits at whatever temp you want and can control everything from one spot. It also heats faster than my propane setup, and of course I didn't have to worry about whether I had enough gas or not. Not being outside was nice too. I would've sweat to death outside today.

I can't think of a thing that I'd change on the controller at this point other than getting the labels I ordered on there. It functions just as I'd hoped.

I think the HERMS thing might be interesting. I like the idea of controlling the mash temp constantly. I made an error today when I forgot that I left some water in the pump and lines from the night before and I pumped it into the mash tun. It knocked my strike temp too low so I had to boil some water and replace some in the tun before adding my grains. It cost me a lot of time.

The other advantage would be doing a mash out. It's hard to get the grain bed temp up as high as I'd like with my first batch infusion sometimes. Today was one of those days. It still went pretty well though.

One down side to brewing inside. Cleaning is a little trickier. It was easier to just hose everything off in the yard before, but given the heat today it was a good compromise. It just took two trips outside.

Thanks zacc, I'm completely out of home brew so I'll be brewing next weekend too. I can't let myself run out again!

Funny thing, last night just after I posted we had a power outage. Omen? Hope not. I hope that never happens when I'm brewing!

jsguitar said:
Thanks zacc, I'm completely out of home brew so I'll be brewing next weekend too. I can't let myself run out again!

Funny thing, last night just after I posted we had a power outage. Omen? Hope not. I hope that never happens when I'm brewing!

Out would come the generator.

Thats something I hadnt considered. Our power is pretty stable but knowing my luck when we do have an outatge it would be right when I'm brewing. Once I get my electric setup complete I'll have to look into getting a generator or find a close by friend I can barrow one from in case of a brewmergency!

I finally threw some labels on the controller. I got the vinyl labels from Bobby M at brewhardware.com. I've come close to forgetting which position was HLT and which was BK so they're definitely useful.

:off:
He also fixed me up with a steep angle sight gauge to fix my previous Leaning Tower of Pisa HLT gauge. If you have a Coors type keg like my HLT and have a T that angles down a lot like mine, you need to have the gauge angled quite a bit to get it to look straight once installed. Bobby did an excellent job, especially considering he didn't actually have the kettle with him.

Another weekend of brewing is almost here!

I suck at taking pictures but here are a couple anyway.

back labels.jpg

front labels.jpg

Looks nice! I still haven't got all the parts for my control panel build. This weekend I'm going to build a bench like the one Kal made and a matching Vent hood like the one here.

This weekend I'm going to build a bench like the one Kal made and a matching Vent hood like the one here.

That's awesome. That's something I need to work on eventually.

A large hood would be nice and would look a lot better. Having a dedicated exhaust port would be good too. Trying to switch out the steam vent with the dryer vent is a serious PITA.

My makeshift stand is also too short. I'm thinking of getting a stainless prep table and possibly shortening it a little.

The other major thing I want to do is figure out is how to finish my walls. I have a floor drain right in the room which is awesome but it's close to the door and wall framing so it's impossible not to get the door and wall framing wet.

The other major thing I want to do is figure out is how to finish my walls. I have a floor drain right in the room which is awesome but it's close to the door and wall framing so it's impossible not to get the door and wall framing wet.

The FRP panels that are used in the interior of this hood are wall panels designed for wet areas such as bathrooms. Something like these might work well for your situation.

Cool! That box will be quite a bit easier to wire I'm sure. Can't wait to see your build. I've since upgraded to a SS table and camlocks and stuff. Damn this site!

I am going to try my hardest to produce pictures tomorrow, I just built a control panel after your setup here. Almost identical in the front (don't have vinyl letters yet) and finally powering my kettles after a short test/cleaning run tonight. I built a 2 tier stand so just running 1 pump. It was dark before I was able to start cleanup tonight, but unless something stops me I will post some pictures of yet another electric brewery that was inspired by this board (and real close to your setup).

I am going to try my hardest to produce pictures tomorrow, I just built a control panel after your setup here. Almost identical in the front (don't have vinyl letters yet) and finally powering my kettles after a short test/cleaning run tonight. I built a 2 tier stand so just running 1 pump. It was dark before I was able to start cleanup tonight, but unless something stops me I will post some pictures of yet another electric brewery that was inspired by this board (and real close to your setup).

Nice! I look forward to it.

Well that took long enough. Here are a few pictures from the first test run of my setup. Still need letters for the control panel, and a mount for my timer, but it works.

IMG_7551.jpg

IMG_7550.jpg

IMG_7576.jpg

I did 5500w elements, the control panel is pretty close to your's except that I ran conduit under the shelf where I mounted each of the outlets, so I ended up with a bit more room inside the control box (which helped keep my sanity).

You have the almost the exact set up I just created a thread about. Your box looks truly impressive. I want the EXACT same thing in my set up. If you ever get the time I'd LOVE to see a step by step of how you wired everything(I mean everything, I need all the help I can get =P), all the components you used/recommend(I say that because of your odd project box and heatsink), and a complete shopping list. I'm going to start stock piling the components for this build. so uh....yea...feel free to help a brewing brotha live the dream of getting rid of heatsticks.
Edit: Hell I'm so excited to find this thread, would you ever want to build a second? =P

Great job on the controller. I'm sure your brew days will be a pleasure. The controller will help a lot to keep your process in line with your objectives.

P-J

Well that took long enough. Here are a few pictures from the first test run of my setup. Still need letters for the control panel, and a mount for my timer, but it works.
I did 5500w elements, the control panel is pretty close to your's except that I ran conduit under the shelf where I mounted each of the outlets, so I ended up with a bit more room inside the control box (which helped keep my sanity).

Looks great Feckett! You'll really enjoy using it. Ive done three brews on mine now and it's working very well. When I get some time, I'll post a few more pics of my updated setup. I've added some anodes to my pots after getting rust on my elements, got a SS table and changed some other hardware.

I appriciate the Big Lebowski quote, and would deffinetly like to see some updated pictures of your setup. Intersetd in what you did for adding anodes to the pots, saw that mentioned once before but doesn't seem to come up all that often.

My collection is coming along nicely. I went with the 12x12x6 junction box from HD. I'm also thinking about trying out a DIN rail. The hard part is going to be getting 50 amp service to my garage.

Sounds good Adam. For me, I already had the old dryer outlet in the same room so it was a no brainer. For you, since you have to run a new service anyway, it sounds like it would be worth taking the time and expense to get the fifty amps where you need it for future upgrades or other projects.

Din rails are really sweet. I like how clean the projects that use them look. With a box like yours, that sounds like a good plan.

I've been slowly getting my build done. I took this friday off and have a 4 day weekend now. I plan on spening most of the time working on the brewery and hope to finish it up and have it ready for its first batch the following weekend.

The control panel is pretty close to being done. After that i still have a lot of little things to wrap up. I need to;build the vent hood, build electric control for vent, run vent duct, finish the spa box, install the elements in kettles, stain the bench, and all the other little details.

Here's a picture of my control box as of last night. After this weekend I should have a lot more pictures to post.
IMG-20110831-00089.jpg

I've been slowly getting my build done. I took this friday off and have a 4 day weekend now. I plan on spening most of the time working on the brewery and hope to finish it up and have it ready for its first batch the following weekend.

The control panel is pretty close to being done. After that i still have a lot of little things to wrap up. I need to;build the vent hood, build electric control for vent, run vent duct, finish the spa box, install the elements in kettles, stain the bench, and all the other little details.

Here's a picture of my control box as of last night. After this weekend I should have a lot more pictures to post.
IMG-20110831-00089.jpg

Is this build using the same 30A single PID build P-J posted earlier in the thread(looks like it, where are the fuses)?

Back