Peanut Butter Porter W/Powdered Peanut Butter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope this thread comes back to life! Looking for an extract take on this beer. They sell the PB2 at the gym I go to, both peanut butter and chocolate peanut butter flavors for like $5/bottle.

Any update on what the final total of cans/oz should be for this recipe? I am currently brewing extract so any help on that recipe would be welcomed!

Hope this thread comes back to life! Looking for an extract take on this beer. They sell the PB2 at the gym I go to, both peanut butter and chocolate peanut butter flavors for like $5/bottle.

Any update on what the final total of cans/oz should be for this recipe? I am currently brewing extract so any help on that recipe would be welcomed!

I might sneak another sip from my carboy when I keg my black IPA tonight or tomorrow. I'll definitely update this thread when I do.

You've got my attention! I don't know how I have missed this thread in the past but I definitely adding this to my brew list.

Please keep us posted on your results.

I just brewed an extract version chocolate peanut butter stout about a month & a half ago. It's bottle conditioning until this weekend, but the sample I tasted when bottling was outstanding. I could definitely taste the peanut butter. Since this is only my 2nd brew, I didn't want to go too complicated on the recipe. I used Northern Brewer's Milk Chocolate Stout as a base recipe for mine with a few adjustments to make it somewhat my own (I'm at work, so I'm going from memory on this...I believe they have the full recipe on their website).

My adjustments...
-Use extra 1.5 lbs of the dark malt extract (7.5 lbs total I think?)
-3 separate 13 oz additions of PB2 @ 30 min, 15 min, & 5 min (6 cans total)
-2 separate 4 oz additions of unsweetened baker's chocolate @ 15 min & 5 min
-Add 2 oz chocolate extract to secondary
-Add 2 oz chocolate extract & 2 oz Oregon peanut butter extract at bottling

Like I said, it came out great for me. FYI, I had my primary filled to about 6 gallons, but only got about 4 gallons total out of this. There was nearly 2 gallons of yeast & peanut butter sludge in the bottom of the bucket. I used a spaghetti strainer to filter it the best I could.

No idea about the head retention issue yet. Using that much PB2 may kill it. I guess we'll see this weekend! Hope this helps.

CTown, any updates on your recipe? I won't be using the same base recipe, but I like all the additions of chocolate and PB2. How is the peanut butter flavor coming through with all that chocolate extract? I'd think it would be overwhelmingly chocolately. I'd like to see how something like this stands up to aging.

CTown, any updates on your recipe? I won't be using the same base recipe, but I like all the additions of chocolate and PB2. How is the peanut butter flavor coming through with all that chocolate extract? I'd think it would be overwhelmingly chocolately. I'd like to see how something like this stands up to aging.

I had my first one last weekend after 2 weeks of bottle conditioning. The PB flavor came through really well. Like others have said, the longer it sits, the more PB you'll taste. Honestly, even after all the chocolate extract, the chocolate flavor is becoming more & more subtle. The sample I had when bottling was a perfect blend of chocolate & PB flavors. I'm thinking if I make this again, I may try a different approach with the chocolate...maybe rack it over some cocoa powder in the secondary or something instead of using extract?

Also, so far I'm not impressed with the head retention. When I poured it, the head was just the way I like it for a stout...about a half inch, (I used 3 oz priming sugar for 4 gal). However, it completely vanished before I even set the glass down on the table. I think it's going to be a little give & take...you may need to sacrifice some of the PB2 or just de-oil actual peanut butter in order to correct this issue. Personally, I'll take the tasty peanut butter flavor & ease of using PB2 over correcting the head retention problem any day of the week.

Even though I'd make a few adjustments next time I make this, it's still an awesome beer the way it is now.

No head is just a cosmetic flaw...not something people should be overly worried about, in my opinion. If it was a normal beer then I could understand. But, anytime you add this much junk to the beer, you get what you get. I could care less if my beer has head as long as it tastes good. It's homebrew, not something we're staking our lively hoods on...

So I just had another one of my Chocolate Peanut Butter Stouts this past weekend & surprisingly, the head retention has improved. It's actually not an issue at all anymore.

Also, I entered it in the specialty category for the 2010 Son of Brewzilla Homebrew Competition that took place a couple weeks ago for Cleveland Beer Week. It advanced to the Best in Show round & took an honorable mention.

The critiques from the judges...

1) Smelled like opening a jar of peanut butter & taste matched the aroma. Needs more sweetness via additional malt, lactose, or chocolate.

(finished beer came out to about 5.5% ABV - I was afraid the sweetness associated with a higher alcohol content would overpower the PB2 seeing as how everyone else experimenting with it didn't get much peanut butter flavor - now that I have a solid PB flavor, I'll definitely take this adjustment into account next time around)

2) Peanut butter flavor was very strong up front with slight chocolate finish, but couldn't drink more than a pint at a time. Head retention was surprisingly good.

For my 2nd home brew ever, I'm very satisfied with the results! At the request of my wife, I think a Raspberry Brown will be on deck for Valentine's Day.

I haven't brewed another batch yet. I have a lot of other recipes I want to try.

The PB aroma & flavor is still solid...not quite where it was when I got the honorable mention in the competition I entered it in when the batch was fresh. The problem I'm having is that the more my remaining bottles age, the more carbonated they have become...even had one bottle explode a few weeks ago. I'm wondering if the PB2 sediment left in the bottles has provided some extra sugars for the yeast to eat. If I crack one open & drink it right away, it almost tastes like peanut butter soda. Now when I have one, I open the bottle & let it sit in the fridge for an hour, then drink it & it tastes much better.

Also as a side note, I had the bottle that exploded sitting on a ledge in the basement because I've flooded 4 times this year already & had to empty out my wine fridge that I use for aging. I had my 2010 Firestone Walker Parabola & 2011 Deschutes Abyss right next to it. I definitely would have cried if one of those would have fallen off the ledge!

im new to brewing but is this a dark beer like guiness if so does it tast better than a guiness those are nasty but i like peanut butter and chocolate i think this might be a beer for me

It is a dark beer, but it's a porter not a stout. Guiness is a dry Irish style stout that tastes gross IMO, unless you're making an Irish Car Bomb. These recipes using PB2 are 100x better! There are a quite a few on these forums that I've come across.

I kegged 10-gallons of PB Porter last night. The first 5-gallon bucket was exceptional. The flavor was up front and the smell was dominant. The second 5-gallon bucket didn't get as much PB Powder (soaked in vodka) and was a bit more subtle. The first will get consumed on the 9th of July and the second will get some rest until the 28th of July. I'll have to try to remember to fill a few bottles before the parties so I can enter these into some contests as cat 23s.

For the record, I used a 1lb bag of PB Powder from Bell labs split into the two buckets after 1 week of fermentation. The powder was soaked in a considerable amount of vodka and then softened with boiled water for easy mixing. I swirled the buckets a bit to mix it in, but didn't add any additional O2.

I just bottled my raspberry brown a few weeks ago. This weekend I might try blending a bottle of that with one of my pb stouts I have left...see if we can get a pbj sandwich flavor going.

I had a pb and j beer down in from a nano brewery in Florida last week. I think I might give this a go with some grape or raspberry behind something similar

Curious about why people think that the taste is weak even with using larger quantities.

Could it be that the peanuts aren't alcohol or liquid soluble and can't be tasted when they fall out of suspension? That the flavor that remains is from the smallest of particles that were still in suspension?

Would adding the powder at the start of boil help this or would you just end up with a gooey mess at the bottom of the kettle getting scorched and ruining the whole batch?

Flavor with 2 jars is about where i would hope it would be for my tastes. It isn't overly strong however it's there. For my application i may add a third into secondary although it is deffinily very goey. Added my powdered stuff at ten minutes to the end of the boil. Worked well although i premixed with water first.....figured i wasn't going to get a homogenous mixture otherwise.

Has anyone tried roasting pale malt with peanuts then discarding the peanuts and using the malt?

You would get a decent amount of oil which would help your yeasties out but kill the head on the beer./....no idea for flavor contributions though. You could always boil peanuts and try that way?

I had a pb and j beer down in from a nano brewery in Florida last week. I think I might give this a go with some grape or raspberry behind something similar
:rockin: Sounds awesine :)

FYI if anyones interested I just finished drinking a keg of Chocolate Oatmeal Peanut Butter Stout that I brewed using 2 jars (2lbs) of Smuckers Natural Creamy Peanut Butter. I let PB sit for a few days and gently drained off as much oil as possible before brewing. I was still worried about oil in my beer but did not run into any oil issue at all.

I'm very pleased to announce it turned out very well and I had excellent head retention. PB flavor was faint but I think it brought out a nice nutty/earthy flavor to the beer.

If I brew this again I might bump the PB up to 3-4lbs. (4 jars).

P.S. Chocolate Oatmeal Peanut Butter Stouts goes very well with Vanilla Ice Cream to make a PB Stout Float!!

Here ya go:

It is an extract recipe.

1lb American Chocolate
1/2lb American black patent
1lb Rolled oats

Steep @ 155 degrees for 30 min

6lb Dark DME
1lb Amber DME
5oz Bakers chocolate

All three added at 60 min

3 gallon pre-boil volume

2lb Smuckers Natural Creamy PB, drain off excess oil (add at 15min)

Hop schedule:
1/2oz northern brewer (60 min)
1/2 oz northern brewer (45 min)
1/2 oz northern brewer (30 min)
1/2 oz northern brewer (15 min)
9.1% AA

Nottingham Ale Dry Yeast

OG - 1.064
FG - 1.016
ABV - 6.3%

7 Days prjmary
21 Days secondary
Kegged at 12 psi

Thats it, hope i didnt miss anything. Cheers!

-Matt

Oddly enough I feel pressure for some reason!

I hope it turns out well because it sure did for me and I have to say it is probably the best beer I have brewed (I haven't tried all-grain yet).

Cheers :mug:

P.S. Ya got to let me know how it turned out for ya when it is finished!

Just began a peanut butter and jelly beer. It's sitting in the primary as we speak, and I'm pretty nervous about how it's going to turn out. I would never have attempted such a seemingly ridiculous flavor profile for beer if my boyfriend hadn't been begging me to do it since I began brewing last fall. It's my first non-kit "my-own-recipe" beer as well, so this should be interesting.

I do have some questions about others who have used PB2 to brew their own peanut butter beers. I used the powder in my primary, but am planning to add some to my secondary. what is the best way to do this? I read about using vodka to soak into the Pb2, but does this detract from the beer's flavor? is it "stirred in" to the secondary? When adding it to the end of my boil, the PB2 (which I had reconstituted with some warm water prior to adding to the boil) separated into small chunks at the top of the pot, and I'm worried about this happening if I add it to the secondary because I don't have the benefit of the heat of the boil to help dissolve the pb2 powder. My plan is to, along with adding PB2 to the secondary, rack it on top of raspberries. Any suggestions?

Just began a peanut butter and jelly beer. It's sitting in the primary as we speak, and I'm pretty nervous about how it's going to turn out. I would never have attempted such a seemingly ridiculous flavor profile for beer if my boyfriend hadn't been begging me to do it since I began brewing last fall. It's my first non-kit "my-own-recipe" beer as well, so this should be interesting.

I do have some questions about others who have used PB2 to brew their own peanut butter beers. I used the powder in my primary, but am planning to add some to my secondary. what is the best way to do this? I read about using vodka to soak into the Pb2, but does this detract from the beer's flavor? is it "stirred in" to the secondary? When adding it to the end of my boil, the PB2 (which I had reconstituted with some warm water prior to adding to the boil) separated into small chunks at the top of the pot, and I'm worried about this happening if I add it to the secondary because I don't have the benefit of the heat of the boil to help dissolve the pb2 powder. My plan is to, along with adding PB2 to the secondary, rack it on top of raspberries. Any suggestions?

When I did mine, I tried to use vodka for the first batch. It took A LOT of vodka to dissolve it, and I ended up getting an infection because I don't think it was well mixed enough.

On my second batch, I boiled it in water for a few minutes, then added it to bottling once it was dissolved. Worked out great.

When I did mine, I tried to use vodka for the first batch. It took A LOT of vodka to dissolve it, and I ended up getting an infection because I don't think it was well mixed enough.

On my second batch, I boiled it in water for a few minutes, then added it to bottling once it was dissolved. Worked out great.

You added the PB at bottling? Didn't that make for a beer with a lot of sediment?

I had my second keg of PB Porter on tap at my wife's b-day party last Saturday. As always it was a hit, but I was surprised by something a few of the guests decided to try. They made a snakebite out of the raspberry cider and the PB Porter, and it tasted like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich beer.

I need to start my Reese's cup stout again. I think I know the chocolate/pb powder balance I want now...

I'm worried about my beer now -- worried about infection, worried that it's going to be too dilute -- I guess this is all about learning!

I took a hydrometer reading one week after my nut brown ale (plus 14 oz PB2) was in primary -- also sampled it, and it tasted awesome...deinitely hints of peanut butter and a nice round nutty flavor...

In the meantime, I just added 16 oz hot/boiling water to 16 oz pb2, and 60 oz raspberries boiled in 8 oz water (put through sanitized strainer to remove skins/seeds). I stirred this all together in the secondary, and am currently waiting for it to cool so I can rack the beer onto it. I'm definitely worried I added too much water to this whole concoction, but didn't think the PB2 was going to dissolve without it! The raspberry/peanut butter slurry smells exactly like a PBJ sandwich, but next time, I'd add less filtered water... when the hot rasbperry juice was added, the thick PB melted beautifully -- so I think it would do so with less water. I hope I didn't just ruin my delicious peanut butter brown ale!!

Update: Just bottled peanut butter and jelly ale. It tastes great, and, of course, can only get better after carbonating...I'm truly excited to taste the final product.

Any updates on what is a good amount of PB powder to use in a stout? Spring House, a local brewery makes an AMAZING chocolate peanut butter stout. It's a deceptive 8% and he uses powder. It is incredible. Unfortunately, he only serves it on nitro, so it doesn't travel well in a growler.

You see where I'm going here.... I need to replicate!

Has anyone tries to use the Chocolate PB2. Seems like the best of both worlds in one jar.

CPB2-04-2T.jpg

FYI if anyones interested I just finished drinking a keg of Chocolate Oatmeal Peanut Butter Stout that I brewed using 2 jars (2lbs) of Smuckers Natural Creamy Peanut Butter. I let PB sit for a few days and gently drained off as much oil as possible before brewing. I was still worried about oil in my beer but did not run into any oil issue at all.

I'm very pleased to announce it turned out very well and I had excellent head retention. PB flavor was faint but I think it brought out a nice nutty/earthy flavor to the beer.

If I brew this again I might bump the PB up to 3-4lbs. (4 jars).

P.S. Chocolate Oatmeal Peanut Butter Stouts goes very well with Vanilla Ice Cream to make a PB Stout Float!!

Have you tried this with 4 jars yet?

Not yet. Waiting for another couple months to brew this again. Have a list of other brews I want/need to brew first.

Read through the thread..what is the general consensus on how much and when to add the powdered peanut butter..

Seems a little mixed on when to add to maximize flavor...

I treat all my additions the same as hops. If you want flavor & aroma, add it between 30-5 minutes. I wouldn't add at flameout because it needs time to partially dissolve. Remember to try to filter it with a paint strainer bag to keep it out of your primary. From my experience, plenty will still make it into your primary & secondary even if you filter out most of it.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

I treat all my additions the same as hops. If you want flavor & aroma, add it between 30-5 minutes. I wouldn't add at flameout because it needs time to partially dissolve. Remember to try to filter it with a paint strainer bag to keep it out of your primary. From my experience, plenty will still make it into your primary & secondary even if you filter out most of it.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

I tried using my paint strainer like I do on every batch....but there was too much PB and the wort would not strain...So i dumped it all in the fermenting bucket and let it sit...I like dominate flavors so I figure a couple weeks on the PB in the primary it will be fine...

Time will tell....

I brewed it up with 2 jars at 5 minutes and I have it racked for the last 10 days on 1 jar and some nibs. I am currently underwhelmed by the peanut butter flavor and aroma. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking about adding peanut butter extract oil at kegging to atleast get the aroma boosted.

Back