Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like it came out great. how quickly did it go? Mine was gone in the amount of time it took me to walk from the bar where I left it, to the kitchen to get my beer, and back to the bar. Sadly, my house isn't that large. Yes, my friends are pigs. :(

I don't remember mine taking 6 hours. Then again, I don't remember much.

dfess1 said:
Looks like it came out great. how quickly did it go? Mine was gone in the amount of time it took me to walk from the bar where I left it, to the kitchen to get my beer, and back to the bar. Sadly, my house isn't that large. Yes, my friends are pigs. :(

I don't remember mine taking 6 hours. Then again, I don't remember much.

This one topped out at about 7 lbs and lasted 20 minutes. To be fair, half the party was out at in the garage when it was first cut into...

nice! This might be one of the first things cooked on the new smoker. still haven't decided what to break her in with! hell, i'll be able to cook just about anything.

That sounds like a great plan! I recently automated my ud with a pid, computer fan and damper. I am looking forward to trying it out on a good long smoke. I have seen both shoulder and butt used. Is there much of a difference?
Someone got in on the Auber sale I bet!:rockin:

Smoking my first brisket today. I thought it would be like the pork shoulder where it would take me 18 hours (same weight) but the flat is already at 160 degrees after 7 hours.

Smoking my first brisket today. I thought it would be like the pork shoulder where it would take me 18 hours (same weight) but the flat is already at 160 degrees after 7 hours.

I haven't followed this thread in it's entirety but FME with Brisket, they are usually about 1:15/per pound and there will be a bit of a plateau with the Brisket as well but not like with a Butt. Is it a whole packer or just the flat?

I'm about 2 hours in on the Easter Turkey. Following a recipe from amazingribs.com. the Guy is a meat scientist ...we'll see.

ForumRunner_20110424_113238.jpg

I haven't followed this thread in it's entirety but FME with Brisket, they are usually about 1:15/per pound and there will be a bit of a plateau with the Brisket as well but not like with a Butt. Is it a whole packer or just the flat?

My briskets also take about 1:15 per lb. So 8 lb. brisket would take around 10 hrs. give or take an hour. I like to plan to have them off the smoker an hour before I intend to eat it. That way if it's done on time I can let it rest in foil & a towel in a small cooler, or if it's taking longer I'm not rushed or inclined to take it off before it's ready.

Packer in the vacuum bag. I ended up pulling it off at 4am (after ~11 hours) and letting it rest for an hour before I seperated the point and threw the point back on for another 4 hours till it reached 195. The flat came out wonderful, except for being done at 4am instead of the 11-12 I was hoping for so I had to reheat in the oven at my aunts. I'm sure it didn't help that this brisket had a **** ton of fat that I couldn't see in the package.

Packer in the vacuum bag. I ended up pulling it off at 4am (after ~11 hours) and letting it rest for an hour before I seperated the point and threw the point back on for another 4 hours till it reached 195. The flat came out wonderful, except for being done at 4am instead of the 11-12 I was hoping for so I had to reheat in the oven at my aunts. I'm sure it didn't help that this brisket had a **** ton of fat that I couldn't see in the package.

Eh, you can trim fat, I almost never do unless it's really excessive. There's debate over cooking it fat side up or fat side down, I go with fat up, IMO as it renders down, it will "melt" into the meat. I like doing burnt ends, usually pull the whole thing, separate the point and chunk it up for burnt ends and place the chunks wrapped in foil back on, and then set the whole flat wrapped in foil and a towel in a cooler until the burnt ends are ready (about another hour or so).

lschiavo said:
I'm about 2 hours in on the Easter Turkey. Following a recipe from amazingribs.com. the Guy is a meat scientist ...we'll see.

The Turkey was quite good. Definitely not at all dry. I like the Turkey au jous (gravy per the recipe ). I would have liked it a little more salty. I didn't brine for fear of too much salt but I will next time. It was a great meal and a beautiful day for my sons 4th birthday.

The Turkey was quite good. Definitely not at all dry. I like the Turkey au jous (gravy per the recipe ). I would have liked it a little more salty. I didn't brine for fear of too much salt but I will next time. It was a great meal and a beautiful day for my sons 4th birthday.

Sounds good! I like brining birds & think it helps quite a bit. If you're worried about the salt content just use less salt.

Soperbrew said:
Sounds good! I like brining birds & think it helps quite ai bit. If you're worried about the salt content just use less salt.

That seems to be the trick - less salt in the brine. I got a little concerned becase it was a prebrined bird. Last time I brined and it was a bit too salty for some (not me I love salt). I will adjust next time. I will also also be incorporating some peppercorns. I though about pepper through the whole process but never added any for some reason.

This thread is SO full of win it's not even funny! I just purchased a WSM two weeks ago. I did a boston butt for my first smoke after I seasoned it and the pulled pork was amazing. I can't wait to do a brisket this coming weekend.

We are relly limiting the amount of contests we cook this year because of the price of gas. We are staying local so it looks like only three contests this year. We are starting late with our first contest in early August being the Battle of the BBQ brethren in our home town of Manorville. Because we have some time before August we are going to do some recipe tweeks. We will start by tweeking our Brisket recipe this weekend. We will smoking a 16 lb packer. Our technique will not change but we are going back to injecting with a mixture of Amesphos and a beefy liquid and our sauce will be a mixture of FAB B, jucies from the brisket and a secret ingredient. I will post some photos.

what is this?

Ahhhh, I thought someone would ask. Here is the URL: Amesphos.

Phosphates are used in a wide range of processed meat, poultry and seafood in which they perform several functions. Phosphates improve the retention of natural fluids in the animal muscle that would otherwise be lost in the aging, cooking or freezing process. They also act as protein solubilizers to aid in binding processed meats. Their presence results in improved texture, flavor and color.

Due to a unique instantizing process and the combination of short and long chain phosphates, AMESPHOS will dissolve completely at temperatures as low as 20 F and in the presence of salt. Additionally, AMESPHOS will dissolve completely in hard water and will not cause phosphate precipitation.

lschiavo said:
A few weeks from now will be my first smoked pulled pork attempt for my son's 4th Bday. Any suggestions are welcome. Smoking ...sauce...slaw.

Sorry guys, no pics but I took the day off yesterday and smoked the pork butt. It was the best thing to come off the smoker yet! Just shy of 8 hours for a 6 pounder. I was too hungry by the time it was done to remember to take pics.

Thanks AZ for the slaw recipe. It was great as well. I also made a German potato salad that I just loved. I am ready now to ramp up production for the upcoming birthday party.

Still breaking in my WSM and LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT! Did some baby back ribs today and a beer can chicken. I forgot to take a photo of the chicken, but here are some photos of the ribs. They were tear off the bone, but not fall off. So freakin' delicious!

Picture_001_Large_.jpg

Picture_004_Large_1.jpg

Picture_005_Large_.jpg

Thanks AZ for the slaw recipe.

Glad you liked it. It's my fav.

Still breaking in my WSM and LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT! Did some baby back ribs today and a beer can chicken. I forgot to take a photo of the chicken, but here are some photos of the ribs. They were tear off the bone, but not fall off. So freakin' delicious!

Picture_001_Large_.jpg

Picture_004_Large_1.jpg

Picture_005_Large_.jpg

Looking great! I may try a brisket next weekend, though them ribs are looking mighty tasty!

Glad you liked it. It's my fav.

Looking great! I may try a brisket next weekend, though them ribs are looking mighty tasty!

I did a brisket last week and it was a hit. I highly recommend doing one! Don't be afraid, slow and low, 10-12 hours later and you've got yourself one amazing slab of meat! YOU CAN DO IT! :mug:

I won a brinkmann smoker at the ASH springfest over the weekend, so of course I had to break it in. We walked (see stumbled) down to the local market and I picked up a rack of pork spare ribs, and my buddy grabbed a couple beef roasts. We put them in late Saturday night and Sunday we woke up to some great bbq. I'll try and remember to snap a couple pics next time!

I did a brisket last week and it was a hit. I highly recommend doing one! Don't be afraid, slow and low, 10-12 hours later and you've got yourself one amazing slab of meat! YOU CAN DO IT! :mug:

Threw it on the smoker around midnight Friday, and had a great late lunch Saturday. It was the best brisket I've ever had. It wasn't nearly as fatty as some commercial places - I think I did a fine job getting the right amount of fat cut off...

IMG_2758_small.jpg

IMG_2760_small.jpg

I'm so damn hungry I about ate the monitor! Nicely done AZ_IPA. Leaving some fat definitely adds to the flavor. Man, that looks good. I can't wait to do my homemade pastrami from beef brisket in a few weeks.

Do you use the water pan in your WSM? Charcoal, wood, or a combination?

I've used the water pan but have read that without you get a much better bark on the meat. The only drawback is that the waterpan does a really good job stablizing the temperature and catching the fat drippings. I wrap it in aluminum foil a few times and cleanup is a easy as pie.

Damn it, now I want pie! :)

I'm so damn hungry I about ate the monitor! Nicely done AZ_IPA.

Thanks! It was painless - the WSM held the temp steady for the entire cooking time + another 5 hours for the burnt ends!

Do you use the water pan in your WSM? Charcoal, wood, or a combination?

I used the water pan - filled up with near boiling water at the start. Stubb's charcoal, with ~5 big chunks of cherry wood.

I've used the water pan but have read that without you get a much better bark on the meat. The only drawback is that the waterpan does a really good job stablizing the temperature and catching the fat drippings. I wrap it in aluminum foil a few times and cleanup is a easy as pie.

That makes sense - boiling off that much water for that long of time is bound to make less bark.

I really need to wrap the pan in foil next time. :eek: That wasn't fun to clean.

Someone at springfest recommended that if I don't need the water, that I fill the pan with sand to hold the heat instead. I imagine suspending an oven stone there would do something similar.

Good call on the tinfoil.

Looks like you just had a flat, minus the upper 'Deckle' which is much fattier.
It looks good. Congratulations are in order.
This is coming from someone who has to pump out 10 + 'perfect' briskets daily. Good Job!!! :rockin:

Threw it on the smoker around midnight Friday, and had a great late lunch Saturday. It was the best brisket I've ever had. It wasn't nearly as fatty as some commercial places - I think I did a fine job getting the right amount of fat cut off...

IMG_2758_small.jpg

IMG_2760_small.jpg

Someone at springfest recommended that if I don't need the water, that I fill the pan with sand to hold the heat instead. I imagine suspending an oven stone there would do something similar.

Good call on the tinfoil.

filling with sand will hold heat, but a liquid will add humidity -- which can really help in keeping your smoked items juicy. Liquid can also add flavor when you are smoking low and slow.

I highly recommend wrapping the water pan in aluminum foil on the Weber Smokey Mountain. Get the heavy duty stuff and the extra long roll. The cost of the foil is well worth the headaches it prevents. Do the top part first and then the bottom part. This prevents water/drippings from going under the foil and into the bottom of the bowl. It makes cleaning up the WSM so much easier. This will also prevent the bottom from getting discolored or burnt. You just dump the water/drippings, take the foil off, and give it a quick scrub with some hot soapy water and you're done.

This is coming from someone who has to pump out 10 + 'perfect' briskets daily. Good Job!!! :rockin:

How do you recommend serving a brisket? I've been to a local BBQ place that drenches it in sauce, but when I made one we ate it without and it was much more enjoyable.

Thanks thataintbrisket. :D

I did have the point on there, it's just hard to see because of the angle and how much fat I cut off.... (if the "deckle" is the same as the point. I'm new to this stuff!)

Burnt ends! I've got to try those next time I do a brisket. I've seen them before and they look so good. How did you serve them, with bbq sauce?

I threw the point back on the smoker after I had taken off the brisket, wrapped in foil, and rested for 30 minutes. ~4 hours later, I took off the point, let it rest in foil for a long time, then diced and served with Sweet Baby Ray BBQ sauce.

How do you recommend serving a brisket? I've been to a local BBQ place that drenches it in sauce, but when I made one we ate it without and it was much more enjoyable.

personally I served most everything with sauce on the side. I'd rather let you be the judge as to whether it needs something to help it along, or is it A-OK all on it's own. Hopefully it's the later..

Back