Canned craft brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sierra Nevada did what?! That's outstanding, wonder if they'll make it out to the East Coast. I am a fan of the craft brew in a can in case that didn't come across. 21st Amendment does some really good stuff.

Surly cans their beers as well- and they are awesome.

I just had a 21st Amendment tonight in a can and it was wonderfully hoppy.

I'm a fan of "getting it in the can"!

Yep after having a ton of different canned crafts I am a fan. They hoppy beers last a lot longer then in the bottle. Plus there is zero light contamination.

Ska modus hoperandi - yum!!!

I've seen Avery with quite a few cans as of late too

Here in Montana we have Kettlehouse and Big Sky selling their beers in cans. It's pretty great for all the outdoorsy stuff most Montanans are into. I remember when I first threw down a 16oz Kettlehouse Doublehaul IPA on a tubing trip in July...just like heaven. Makes 'em a lot easier to pack in or out for hiking or hunting camp, too!

My only concern is I hope they still have some Bells Oberon or Amber in the bottle so I can harvest their yeast. Otherwise I will need to buy a new fridge and start stocking yeast.

Keeping a little off -topic... anyone ever have the Ten Fidy by Oskar Blues? Tasty motor oil at its best. At some point when it gets colder again, I have to attempt something similar. Really great stuff.

Keeping a little off -topic... anyone ever have the Ten Fidy by Oskar Blues? Tasty motor oil at its best. At some point when it gets colder again, I have to attempt something similar. Really great stuff.

I saw it, but my local store was charging 5 bucks for a can of it. I suppose I should grab a can next time I drop by.

I'm pretty sure I paid at least 15 for a four pack of cans. Worth every penny. But now it's my goal to make it even better...

I had 21st Amendments " Brew free or Die" IPA a few days ago and it was amazing. First craft brew I have ever had in a can and I was impressed.

Tallgrass brewing here in Manhattan, KS cans their stuff. I see all of the advantages and tip my hat to them but I have a hard time buying their stuff in the rare case that I'm buying beer because there's no bottles to reuse for my homebrew.

Other than not having bottles for me to reuse, I'm all for it ;)

+1 on jaycount's contribution. tallgrass recently came to our market and it's some pretty good stuff. their buffalo sweat is heaven in a can.check out tallgrass here

here in south dakota, crow peak brewing is the only microbrewery in the state that i'm aware of that also offers their brew for sale outside of the brewhouse...which is fine, because now i don't have to drive 45 minutes to get some of their IPA or porter. however, i still go there because i have a growler & they make some excellent stuff that you can only get there. this place is highly recommended if you happen to be traveling in or near the black hills of south dakota.

for them, canning was a no-brainer because it retained the integrity of the beer and frankly, it's fun to watch the canning process.

My only concern is I hope they still have some Bells Oberon or Amber in the bottle so I can harvest their yeast. Otherwise I will need to buy a new fridge and start stocking yeast.

Wait... do you harvest the yeast out of a bottle of beer?

Don't most beers sold go through heavy duty filtration so no sediment is in the bottom of the bottle?

Please enlighten me!

There's a brewery on Conroe, TX called Southern Star that cans. Their Pine Belt pale ale is an excellent hoppy apa.

Wait... do you harvest the yeast out of a bottle of beer?

Don't most beers sold go through heavy duty filtration so no sediment is in the bottom of the bottle?

Please enlighten me!

not if they're bottle conditioned. some bottles will have a layer of yeast sediment at the bottom. but then again some breweries use a different yeast to bottle condition than they do to ferment the beer

I had 21st Amendments " Brew free or Die" IPA a few days ago and it was amazing. First craft brew I have ever had in a can and I was impressed.

:mug: I hear that. One of the better ipa's out there, IMHO. Dale's Pale ale is quite stellar as well. And if you're lucky enuff to have Surly available in your area, they can some fine ales over there!

Milwaukee Brewing Company is canning two of their beers now. They have a small canning machine from a company in Canada, can't remember the name though.

UNBELIEVABLE.....I can't believe everyone just let this one slide. Must have been too much of a softball. :D

beat me to it - i was gonna post a picture of ben stein from ferris...

my local grocery store must thing canned micros are the way to go because they have a huge selection of canned beer... at least 10 different kinds... had to take a picture of their selection and text it to a brewing buddy of mine.. cracked me up.

honestly it's a great idea... however, i'm part of the group that will likely never buy a canned beer regardless... mostly because if i buy beer, it's usually something one-off, and i doubt i'm gonna find a flanders red in a can.

Cans are great for large distribution, small variety operations. The reason for this is the necessary massive order of cans (essentially a semi trailer's worth). Most breweries can't store or afford that much of a single packaging variety.

I drink a good bit of craft beer in the can. MillKing It Productions, the legally distinct inheritor of the defunct King Brewing Company (my former haunt, RIP :(), cans their beer.

Canned beer is typically filtered, so you won't be able to harvest any useful quantity of yeast.

That's a pretty good topic for consideration. I have no idea if anyone can-conditions beer, but it would be cool. I've had a few different canned craft beers...some good, some bad. Really it's not down to the can but the beer itself. I like the idea of canned beers because it takes up less space when recycling, and you can take them to places that don't allow glass (beaches, etc).

but then again some breweries use a different yeast to bottle condition than they do to ferment the beer

But that's rarer than most folks think, really only some belgians, most beers have no reason to disguise their fermenting strain with another one, so for all intents and purposes you can tend to go with the idea that if it's an american craft beer of moderate gravity that the strain in the bottle IS the fermenting strain. Plus you can usually find online whether or not folks have harvested the yeast for sure. There's a pdf file that lists a ton that I've posted repeatedly here, but you can also type a google phrase like "harvesting yeast from beer X" and you'll see threads about it.

Back