Specialty IPA: Black IPA Heavenly Scourge Black IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, it's crazy, I started homebrewing in January, I've gained like 35lbs. I need to cut back!

Needless to say I had to start working out again :(

Yeah, it's crazy, I started homebrewing in January, I've gained like 35lbs. I need to cut back!

Needless to say I had to start working out again :(

Bahaha. I started brewing in December and I ran out of homebrew a month ago. The batches I brewed are listed in my signature. I gained a bunch of weight, but it's all gone now. I found out today that I can fit into my leather pants again (headlining a show later today).

LOL - I have started working out as well, mainly as a favor to my wife (she wants someone to work out with) since I normally get enough exercise doing stuff around the house. The homebrew does tend to pack on the pounds though if I don't stay active.

Got it on tap now. everyone is loving it, except for one guy who said it tasted like mud. He was wrong and he will pay ;)

LOL - there is always someone. My wife hates this recipe, which means I brew it often. :) I'm glad you are enjoying it!

Brewing my 3rd batch now. 23F and cloudy. Using Chinook and cascade this time around. I expect it will rock once again!

wow - missed this post earlier. 3rd batch of this??? You must love it! I've only brewed it 3 times myself!

Hah, I'm about to do my 4th iteration. Meandered from Magnum to Sorachi to Simcoe for bittering and eliminated the crystal malt. Low temps, pacman yeast, lots of oxygen. Served damn fresh - grain to glass in 4 weeks. This has become my go-to recipe for producing strong beer in a short timeframe.

Thanks for this recipe!! I've been drinking the **** out of a local Black IPA, and this recipe looks awesome. Also, really appreciate people posting their Beersmith files, because I plug them all into there anyway.

Cheers

I'm glad it has been so successful with you guys. It definitely is a good beer served fresh, as the few I aged really lost the hop profile. It was still good after 3 months, but was lacking that "smack-in-the-face".

I think I'll have to brew this again on Sunday - it's been a while and need to use up some hops.

I think the Beersmith file is perfect - just take it and save it, even if you don't intend to brew it any time
soon.

SickTransitMundus - how does the lack of crystal malt affect the finished beer? I have always wondered if the beer would be more "black lager-like" without the crystal.

I'm going to have to put this on my list to brew...I've been wanting to do a black IPA for a while. I'm also curious to hear how it came out without the crystal malts. Thanks for sharing!

I'm convinced I have to brew this next, probably this weekend. I have been debating for two weeks on what my next beer will be and when I saw this recipe and the responses I was sold. PLus I have an IPA in bottle conditioning that is not carbing right so i will need something to fill in for that spot if I can't get it fixed.

I brewed this tonight. Had some challenges. Started running out of propane so the boil was a little less vigorous than I would have like and took a little longer than 60 min. When I was getting my chiller ready discovered my water hose was frozen solid. So I soaked the hose in hot water in the bathtub (the things my wife puts up with). At the end of the day my OG was 1.084 and I mashed around 152 for 60 minutes. I batch sparged for 15 minutes. I drank my sample and I think this one is going to be really good.

Update: I transferred to secondary last night and the gravity reading was 1.014 looks like this beer will come in around 9.1% abv. I got a very hot fermentation in primary. The temp reading on the exterior was higher than 78 and I was worried about fusel alcohol taste. I tatsed my gravity sample and it tatsed great in fact it was very drinkable for green beer. Can't wait to get to start drinking this one.

I mashed with carafa the entire 60 min and it worked great. Not too much roast, in fact, hardly any at all.

I mash the entire grain bill together. Tastes great. Brewed this recipe 3 times. Used different hops each time...never disappointed. Thanks brman!

I love this beer. My bottles have been conditioning for two weeks. After one wek I sampled 3 and had to force myself to give it another week of conditioning before I drank too many more.

This one will definately get put into the normal rotation.

Thanks for sharing this recipe.

I brewed this for the first time and am wondering what I did wrong. I mashed with 6 gallons, temp was a little low- 149-150, sparged, and boiled to get a volume of about 5 gallons but my OG was only 1.062. any thoughts?

Hmmm, Could be a number of things. I mashed at 152 for 60 minutes and the batch sparged for 60. I ended up with 7 gallons, boiled for 90 to get to 5.5 (I was running out of propane and my fire was not producing a vigorous boil at first). When sparged, did you stir the grains for several minutes?

If you hit final gravity you should still end up with a beer around 6%.

There are several things that I probably didn't do correct, as this was my first time brewing with a grain bill this size. I missed my mash temp for most of the mash but was able to correct to 152 for a good 20-30 minutes. I forgot to add the gypsum to the mash and sparged with probably hotter water than I should have, and didn't really stir the grain before sparging. You said you sparged for 60 minutes? Is this normally what's supposed to be done? Also, I collected WAY too much wort- like 10 gallons and had to boil for like 3 hours! It was a learning experience for me for sure, but at any rate, the beer's fermenting like crazy now...I divided it up and the bigger carboy has like a 3-4 inch foam top. What can I say, I'm still learning how to do this, is only my 4th all grain batch. I think I'll still be pleased with the results. thanks for your suggestions.

Correction. I think I meant to say I batch sparged for 10 minutes. You will definatley get better. I am on batch 5 or 6 for AG and I get a little better each time.

One other suggestion. When you brew a beer with this much grain you can collect the second runnings and make a partigyle.

I think your beer will turn out great.

How long does this need to age before becoming drinkable? Also, I plugged the numbers into beertools and came out with a 1.091 OG, and 166 IBU's. Is anyone else getting those numbers?

How long does this need to age before becoming drinkable? Also, I plugged the numbers into beertools and came out with a 1.091 OG, and 166 IBU's. Is anyone else getting those numbers?

I'll check my OG when I get home and can look at my brew log but I don't think I was that high.

week 1 - little carbination, tasted good
week 2 - more carbination, tasted great
week 3 - perfect carbination and taste is incredible

I would drink it while it's fresh.

Just wanted to thank you for a great recipe!

I used this as a basis for my first AG brew.

I had to make some minor adjustments but I love the end result!

Cheers!

I drink this fairly fresh, though I find that a couple of weeks of cold-conditioning in the keg brings out the roast character well. Drink earlier if you prefer hop aggression.

3 weeks in primary. Shove the dry hops into the primary, rack to keg after 5 days. 3 weeks force carb in the kegerator. Then it's ready. For such a big beer it's a short grain-to-glass time.

Thanks for the comments on the recipe, guys. Glad you are enjoying it. I drink it after 3 weeks. About 8 weeks after that you notice the loss of hop character (mainly aroma), though still remains a great beer.

The numbers I list at the top of the recipe were generated by Beersmith. The IBU difference might be attributed to what the AA% is for the hops you have in BeerTools compared to the AA% of my hops.

Back