American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was my first "hoppy" IPA that I dry hopped. Originally it was absolutely amazing, better than the original. Bottled it Nov. 11, and am almost done the whole batch. Really interesting how quickly the hop aroma and flavor dissapears. It is a TOTALLY different beer now, than it was 2 weeks in the bottle. I'd have to say the sweet spot was about 1 month in the bottle.

Its interesting, my friend was telling me originally india pale ale was so hoppy in the first place because it was beer being shipped to india. I'm guessing this was to preserve the beer or maybe it was the fact that the hops faded over time. According to wikipedia though some IPAs are aged over a year before shipping.

Its interesting, my friend was telling me originally india pale ale was so hoppy in the first place because it was beer being shipped to india. I'm guessing this was to preserve the beer or maybe it was the fact that the hops faded over time. According to wikipedia though some IPAs are aged over a year before shipping.

That's correct, I think the thing with IPA's is that people discovered them before they were shipped to India and discovered that they really liked the super hoppy pale ale. I would imagine that when IPA were originally being brewed to ship to the troops in India, that by the time they arrived, the hop aromas had pretty much faded.

And aging an IPA is a matter of personal taste. Personally I prefer my IPA's as young as possible, however there are those who like the hop aromas to fade before they drink them and claim you can't get the same beer by just brewing a less hoppy pale ale. The aging of IPA's, or even beer in general, seems to be a topic with lots of varying opinions, but if you like your beer aged or fresh I say just drink it how you like.

Bottled today. Gravity finished right at 1.020. Smells and tasted amazing. I bottled some into a Coors light home draft setup. Hopefully all goes well, I can't wait to try this beer carbed!

I like the looks of it, I have been ichin to make an IPA since I got my kit 2 weeks ago . . . haha. No really I have but I have been scared to do one I don't have the gear to do an all grain so when I saw your extract version I got all gitty. Have you done your extract version of this or did you make the recipe just for me???

I like the looks of it, I have been ichin to make an IPA since I got my kit 2 weeks ago . . . haha. No really I have but I have been scared to do one I don't have the gear to do an all grain so when I saw your extract version I got all gitty. Have you done your extract version of this or did you make the recipe just for me???

I did the extract version but I just bottled it on Sunday. I will say that it tasted really good warm & flat though:D

I did the extract version but I just bottled it on Sunday. I will say that it tasted really good warm & flat though:D

Awesome! do you mind sharing some of your info? What were your gravity readings? Did you follow it to the letter? ect. Any surprises?

Awesome! do you mind sharing some of your info? What were your gravity readings? Did you follow it to the letter? ect. Any surprises?

I followed the recipe from page 1 for the most part. I did 9.9 lbs of extra-light LME. It came in 3 3.3lb cans, so I added 2 cans at the beginning of the boil and the last can at flameout. I used pacman yeast with a 1 liter starter (made the starter about 5 days in advance, threw in the fridge a few days before brewing).

Did 2 weeks primary
1 week secondary (dry hopped during this time)

OG was 1.071,
FG is 1.020

I think I am going to order the ingredients again and just brew this exactly the same. I haven't even had a carbed/conditioned sample yet but just just tasting the hydrometer sample was enough for me to know that this is a great beer!

I gave my brother a sample of this beer 1 day after dry hopping. He drank the sample and wanted to drink more even though the beer had not carbed lol.

This was my first AG batch last night, and my third overall so I'm really hoping I didn't jack this one up.

The temp on my mash cooler just seemed to be sticking around 163, and once the dial thermometer finally unstuck it jumped down to 155 with the lid open. It had to be sitting at 163 for over 20 min. It looked a little low on volume after the mash out, but I figured I'd roll with it anyways. Once it was in the primary I took a measurement of 1.062, but it was a about a gallon low so I added a gal to bring it to 5. Right while the wife was re-hydrating the Safl-05, the cup spilled right before time to pitch and it was well past the closing time of the HBS. We quickly put the lid on the primary, Airlocked it, and put a 1056 in this morning. The OG reading this morning looked to be about 1.052 before we pitched.

Talk about a calamity of errors. Now I'm just crossing my fingers, and hoping it'll work out.

Time to work on my mashing skills I guess.

i brewed this 3 weeks ago.. i just started to cold crash it today, but i took its FG reading and wanted to ask one thing.. my OG was 1.069 and my FG was 1.014 with Wyeast 1056 which is just about 7 percent ABV.

i wanted to ask, i had not dry hopped it, because im doing it in the keg wile force carb conditioning. but when i took a smell of my sample, it has some strong notes of alcohol, and i wondered if dry hopping would cover up those notes for the most part.

plus it felt really watery, but that might have been due to it being very light in carbonation/being flat

i brewed this 3 weeks ago.. i just started to cold crash it today, but i took its FG reading and wanted to ask one thing.. my OG was 1.069 and my FG was 1.014 with Wyeast 1056 which is just about 7 percent ABV.

i wanted to ask, i had not dry hopped it, because im doing it in the keg wile force carb conditioning. but when i took a smell of my sample, it has some strong notes of alcohol, and i wondered if dry hopping would cover up those notes for the most part.

plus it felt really watery, but that might have been due to it being very light in carbonation/being flat

Definately dry hop it! Im sure the hop aroma will help. When I bottled mine after dryhopping), it smelled like grapefruit.

9 days in the bottle, this beer is fantastic! Its still a little cloudy and needs to Carb up a bit more but wow! At this point its got more grapefruit notes than the DFH version but I like that.

IMG_20110111_173839.jpg

9 days in the bottle, this beer is fantastic! Its still a little cloudy and needs to Carb up a bit more but wow! At this point its got more grapefruit notes than the DFH version but I like that.

IMG_20110111_173839.jpg

That looks great! It's one of my favorites- I love the simcoe/amarillo combination.

My batch tastes similar to the original. However I think it needs more amarillo. When I drink the original I tend to smell the hops a lot more. The bitterness is spot on however.

My batch tastes similar to the original. However I think it needs more amarillo. When I drink the original I tend to smell the hops a lot more. The bitterness is spot on however.

I am hoping to get more of the piney flavor/aroma that the original has. Anybody know what i can do to get that? I like where its at right now though. I will definately try to remember to use irish moss next time too.

I tried DF60 for the first time today. So I'm curious how close this recipe is to the real thing.

First, I can't fathom that what I drank actually had Amarillo and Simcoe in it. Does anyone taste that hop difference in this recipe vs. DF60?

Second, the malt flavors in DF60 seems to not match what I wouild expect from this recipe. Does anyone else detect a difference?

It's always possible that I got an old bottle of DF.

I tried to go through this entire thread, but it is rather long. If anyone can speak to the differences, I'd appreciate it, because on paper, this recipe looks good. But I don't want to brew something like I just drank.

I tried DF60 for the first time today. So I'm curious how close this recipe is to the real thing.

First, I can't fathom that what I drank actually had Amarillo and Simcoe in it. Does anyone taste that hop difference in this recipe vs. DF60?

Second, the malt flavors in DF60 seems to not match what I wouild expect from this recipe. Does anyone else detect a difference?

It's always possible that I got an old bottle of DF.

I tried to go through this entire thread, but it is rather long. If anyone can speak to the differences, I'd appreciate it, because on paper, this recipe looks good. But I don't want to brew something like I just drank.

I can tell you from my experience using the extract version that its pretty close. Like I say a few posts back it lacks the "piney" aroma and flavor which I found out is a simcoe characteristic. So I might try dry hopping with more simcoe next time. I have Sam's book "Extreme Brewing" which has the DFH 60 minute IPA recipe. He uses the same hops called for in this recipe although the addition schedule is slightly different.

This is my 13th brew and I cooked up the extract version of this yesterday. My blowoff is happily bubbling away. I used the original extract recipe but added an ounce of palisade hops to the last 35 minute continuous additions...and did a hop addition every 20 seconds as opposed to once a minute. Adding hops like this made this my most enjoyable boil! For yeast I used the English Ale 002 yeast cake from an AHS 60 Minute clone I just brewed. I can't wait to try this beer.

Im putting a few bottles in the fridge to chill for tomorrow. I am curious to see how it has changed in a week. Its been two weeks in the bottle now.

Ok, two weeks in the bottle now. This is amazing! I looked at my glass and said "wow I can't believe I made this ". I don't know how I am gonna be able to wait for this beer to finish conditioning!

I'm going to be brewing this up in a couple days. I subbed in Biscuit for the Amber and somehow missed the Maris Otter in the posting (downloaded the recipe file). Beer Smith is estimating my color at 5.6 and is looking more yellow than amber. I'm not happy about that, but I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.

I'm extra excited about this one. Sounds like an amazing recipe. Hopefully I don't screw it up.

I thought I was ready to brew tonight but realized I am .5 oz short of simcoe hops for the boil. My yeast starter is ready to go. Should I boil tonight and omit the .5oz of simcoe or should I put the yeast in the fridge and buy a the extra .5oz on Friday(first day the HBS will be open)?

teachtim said:
I thought I was ready to brew tonight but realized I am .5 oz short of simcoe hops for the boil. My yeast starter is ready to go. Should I boil tonight and omit the .5oz of simcoe or should I put the yeast in the fridge and buy a the extra .5oz on Friday(first day the HBS will be open)?

Throw the yeast in the fridge. Just let it come to about room temp before pitching. Trust me, you want those hops in there!

Hey guys, im brewing this beer tommorow using the original all grain recipe on the first page. I was wondering if you guys could help me out with the temps and water additions.

What temperature should i use to achieve a mash in temp of 153-154? Also, how much water am i using for the mash in and and sparge? I will be using a 50 quart coleman mashtun and a 7.5 gallon brew pot (aka turkey fryer). I understand how to control the temps, i just need some help with initial figures.

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first all grain and i am a huge IPA fan, so i do not want to mess it up ;) Im sure you guys have this recipe all figured out by now, so im asking for advice. I tried reading through the thread but there are so many variations.

thanks!

Thanks Brew2enjoy. It is just late enough that it makes the most sense to wait. No need to rush. What's two days?

Hey guys, im brewing this beer tommorow using the original all grain recipe on the first page. I was wondering if you guys could help me out with the temps and water additions.

What temperature should i use to achieve a mash in temp of 153-154? Also, how much water am i using for the mash in and and sparge? I will be using a 50 quart coleman mashtun and a 7.5 gallon brew pot (aka turkey fryer). I understand how to control the temps, i just need some help with initial figures.

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first all grain and i am a huge IPA fan, so i do not want to mess it up ;) Im sure you guys have this recipe all figured out by now, so im asking for advice. I tried reading through the thread but there are so many variations.

thanks!

I use 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain for the mash. For my system, I preheat the cooler with near boiling water (but not boiling- it'll warp!) and let that sit for 15 minutes before draining. I use water that is 12 degrees warmer than my desired mash temp- in this case I'd use 166 degree water.

So, let's see- for the math. 1.5 quarts for 13.3 pounds of grain is 19.95 quarts of water. I'd call it 20 quarts. So, 20 quarts of 166 degree water for the mash in. But have a little hotter water (and colder) handy just in case you miss the temperature. Stir well, and check the temp in several places. If it's different, stir some more until it's the same throughout and let it sit 5 minutes. Then check the temperature and if it's high or low adjust it, a little at a time, by adding cold or hot water. Try to not worry if you're between 150 and 155, though!

When you drain the runnings, you should get out 3.5ish gallons of runnings. So, you'll want to use about 3.0 gallons of sparge water to get to your boil volume of 6.5 gallons.

I use 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain for the mash. For my system, I preheat the cooler with near boiling water (but not boiling- it'll warp!) and let that sit for 15 minutes before draining. I use water that is 12 degrees warmer than my desired mash temp- in this case I'd use 166 degree water.

So, let's see- for the math. 1.5 quarts for 13.3 pounds of grain is 19.95 quarts of water. I'd call it 20 quarts. So, 20 quarts of 166 degree water for the mash in. But have a little hotter water (and colder) handy just in case you miss the temperature. Stir well, and check the temp in several places. If it's different, stir some more until it's the same throughout and let it sit 5 minutes. Then check the temperature and if it's high or low adjust it, a little at a time, by adding cold or hot water. Try to not worry if you're between 150 and 155, though!

When you drain the runnings, you should get out 3.5ish gallons of runnings. So, you'll want to use about 3.0 gallons of sparge water to get to your boil volume of 6.5 gallons.

Great! Thanks alot, ill post some pics and results. Im pretty excited to use all my new brewing gear :mug:

One of the employees at my LHBS brewed this recipe, and its amazing! Its on my to-brew list for next month. Thanks for the great brew, and GO PACK GO!!! :)

WARNING first post incoming from a formerly lost home brewer!

Back in business! I used to brew many years ago. My girlfriend got me a Brooklyn brew kit with a couple mixes for x-mas that I brewed up.(Gonna pop first bottle this weekend!) Then I got out all my old equipment did an inventory picked up odds and ends, a new brew pot and brewed this recipe up(extract since we live in an apt with small kitchen and electric stove :( ) Took a gravity today and it was down to 1.014 after 10 days in fermenter. Well couldn't just pour out that reading sample sooo it was tasting time. Tasty already!!! Cant wait for this to get dry hopped and then aged in the bottles! Best Xmas gift i have received in a long time. It totally got me back into brewing! You have heard it many times but thank you Yooper for this! Although we have lost a shower that is now keeping two batches cool and dark! RDWHAHB!

Balue said:

Back in business! I used to brew many years ago. My girlfriend got me a Brooklyn brew kit with a couple mixes for x-mas that I brewed up.(Gonna pop first bottle this weekend!) Then I got out all my old equipment did an inventory picked up odds and ends, a new brew pot and brewed this recipe up(extract since we live in an apt with small kitchen and electric stove :( ) Took a gravity today and it was down to 1.014 after 10 days in fermenter. Well couldn't just pour out that reading sample sooo it was tasting time. Tasty already!!! Cant wait for this to get dry hopped and then aged in the bottles! Best Xmas gift i have received in a long time. It totally got me back into brewing! You have heard it many times but thank you Yooper for this! Although we have lost a shower that is now keeping two batches cool and dark! RDWHAHB!

I'm a noob too. This was my second batch ever. Taste better than any commercial beer I've ever tried! I am going to make a pipeline of this stuff!

Sent from my Droid using Home Brew Talk

Well, showers are overrated anyway. Beer is much better than a shower, you know!

That reminds me of when I started brewing. I thought, "This upstairs laundry room is an ideal fermentation/brewery room!" but I was told that removing the washer and dryer would NOT be allowed in our house.

Anyway, I'm glad that you're back into the hobby (obsession). I hope you like the final product as much as I do!

Brewed this recipe this past Saturday ... 20+ degrees outside so babysitting the boil with the continuous hops froze my toes! sooooo it'll formally be named..

Frozen toes IPA haha

Well I tried to make a DFH 60 IPA clone from the "Clone Brews" book by Mark Szamatulski. I used the partial mash recipe from the book, and it came out super hoppy. I'm not really complaining as I like a good hopped up beer. But compared to a bottle of DFH 60 it's lacking the roasted caramel smell and flavor. The hops are still there, but I think I just over powered mine. Looking at Yooper's recipe I see she used way less hops that the book recipe (1oz warrior initial, and a mix of 1oz warrior, 1oz amarillo, 1oz Simcoe continuous, 1oz simcoe and amarilo dry hop). Going back and calculating everything I think I hit something like 100IBUs.

Long story short, I'm trying this for my next time around hoping for more of the caramel roasty flavor to balance the hops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I tried to make a DFH 60 IPA clone from the "Clone Brews" book by Mark Szamatulski. I used the partial mash recipe from the book, and it came out super hoppy. I'm not really complaining as I like a good hopped up beer. But compared to a bottle of DFH 60 it's lacking the roasted caramel smell and flavor. The hops are still there, but I think I just over powered mine. Looking at Yooper's recipe I see she used way less hops that the book recipe (1oz warrior initial, and a mix of 1oz warrior, 1oz amarillo, 1oz Simcoe continuous, 1oz simcoe and amarilo dry hop). Going back and calculating everything I think I hit something like 100IBUs.

Long story short, I'm trying this for my next time around hoping for more of the caramel roasty flavor to balance the hops.

I have Sam's book "Extreme brewing". The 60 minute IPA recipe calls for the same amount and type of hops that Yooper's recipe has. The addition schedule is a little different though. I think it says to mix them all and continuously hop right from the beginning.

I like how mine turned out following this recipe though. The bitterness is very low and the hop aroma and flavor is perfect. It turned out a little sweet probably because of the 1.020 FG but I think it's perfect!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back