Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is mine but it had a crap load of problems last night.

4633547825_d5646e377a.jpg

You can see the list of problems on this thread.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/brew-day-disaster-179287/

Right above your post is a drop-down box called "Thread Tools." Click on that, and click on "Subscribe to this Thread," instead of posting something that should not be posted, please. Thanks.

talk about posting something that should not be posted. What he/she posted is no different then someone posting "TTT".

Did a Job for a Friend not long ago and he left Me with 60ft. of 2x2x3/16 angle iron.

So after storing it for a while ,I kept looking at it ,and said why not It`s Free!

and this is what I ended up with.

100_1433.JPG

100_1432.JPG

100_1431.JPG

100_14291.JPG

100_1428.JPG

All the angles were coped to fit inside each other and it`s all stickwelded with 3/32 7018 rod.

I cut the legs off my modified sp10 and dropped it in the top ,worked like a charm.
Still to do ,two more burners ,two LG pumps ,plumbing,HLT,MLT ,The boil kettle is Done.

So far the out of pocket expense for this build except for my time is
$17.96 for wheels at HarborFreight and $11.98 for two coats of BBQ stove Paint.

anyone on here have issues with priming thier pumps? Im looking at a build my self and i see lots of posts with people with issues. I see very few with vents or and air bleed.

anyone on here have issues with priming thier pumps? Im looking at a build my self and i see lots of posts with people with issues. I see very few with vents or and air bleed.

I switched to Little Giant pumps..

3-MD-HC or
5-MD-HC

Priming is not really an issue on these, not like on my previous March 809s

There are a few threads that discuss this. I added the bleeder valve and had a very successful brew day. No problems all day with the exception of losing prime once during the sparge. Closed the out flow, opened the bleeder, then then closed it off and all was good. I went with the March becuase it seemed to be the pump of choice. USA Pumps on Ebay has them new with base for about $113 shipped for free. That was the best price I have found.

I just began a modified Brutus 20 to start my foray into the wonderful world of all-grain brewing. It's 1" tube steel as opposed to 1.5" and I refused to do stainless due to cost savings. I will finish welding tomorrow, grind the joints, and get her painted. I also need to weld in the fittings for the gas manifold. I haven't decided whether to do dedicated pipes for the manifold, or build directly into the structure. Either way, I'm excited and can't wait!

EaaLJ.jpg

At what point does pumps and automation take the fun out of brewing? Seems like it would loss the appeal that attracted me to brewing.

At what point does pumps and automation take the fun out of brewing? Seems like it would loss the appeal that attracted me to brewing.

I like to brew beer, good beer consistantly. Plus I love to build things. Control was key to me, so it was only natural to make a rig that would accomplish my homebrewing needs. To each his own I guess.

I get as much satisfaction from building the system as brewing the beer. Maybe buying a prebuilt system might take some of the satisfaction out of it, but watching a machine you built in action is a great feeling.

I agree with pickles, however, mine isn't automated at all. The pumps are neccesary to move the 20 gallons of liquid, which weighs about 160 lbs.

At no point.....It makes it even more exciting. How many brewpubs or breweries do you know that use gravity?

To clarify I meant to say Home Brewing. On a large scale I see the need but for 5 maybe even 10 gallons that all seems like overkill. IMO

I moving to 10 gallons soon so my opinion may soon change.

Ahh, I used to think that way. Then I built a brewstand.

Now I'm popping out 10 gallon batches, my efficiency has skyrocketed, the beer is consistently better, and when I want to make a beer that I already did and enjoyed, I can actually recreate it.

I did a group brew day this past weekend with Ricand up in Sebastapol, and another guy who's just getting started. Rick and I were using our Brutuseseses (Brutii?) and this kid was using Rick's old 5 gallon cooler tun/turkey burner setup. When the time came to dough in, he had to lift a pot full of 170 degree-ish water, pour it into the cooler without scalding himself, then did the 10 minute dance of adding cold/hot water to get to his mash temp.

Me, I just flipped a switch, sat back, and had a beer.

Mash out, he had to lug the cooler onto the bench, then add more boiling water until the temp hit.

Me, I just flipped a switch, changed a hose disconnect, sat back, and had another beer.

Sparge, yet another pot full of scalding water had to be lifted high enough to get into the elevated cooler, trying not to splash it all over the place.

Me, I just flipped a switch, changed a hose disconnect, sat back, and had another beer.

Ahh, I used to think that way. Then I built a brewstand.

Now I'm popping out 10 gallon batches, my efficiency has skyrocketed, the beer is consistently better, and when I want to make a beer that I already did and enjoyed, I can actually recreate it.

I did a group brew day this past weekend with Ricand up in Sebastapol, and another guy who's just getting started. Rick and I were using our Brutuseseses (Brutii?) and this kid was using Rick's old 5 gallon cooler tun/turkey burner setup. When the time came to dough in, he had to lift a pot full of 170 degree-ish water, pour it into the cooler without scalding himself, then did the 10 minute dance of adding cold/hot water to get to his mash temp.

Me, I just flipped a switch, sat back, and had a beer.

Mash out, he had to lug the cooler onto the bench, then add more boiling water until the temp hit.

Sparge, yet another pot full of scalding water had to be lifted high enough to get into the elevated cooler, trying not to splash it all over the place.

Right on brother! I am slowly putting together semi-automation to better enjoy my brew day, as well as increase my consistency. I will always enjoy brewing no matter how automated I get the system, I just change my focus from hauling hot water/wort, mixing water to hit mash temps, etc. to exploring recipes, hop changes, and other DIY pieces of the system.

Hell I did 12 gallon batches with no pump batch sparging for 6 months before I got my pumps and built my rig. Me and my back (and wet shoes) deserve this badboy!
full_shot-no_hose.JPG

Hell I did 12 gallon batches with no pump batch sparging for 6 months before I got my pumps and built my rig. Me and my back (and wet shoes) deserve this badboy!
full_shot-no_hose.JPG

Is that electric? After seeing a bunch of electric rigs here, I'm thinking that my next one will be too. I'll have to see a couple in action before I decide to start acquiring the parts to build it, but the idea intrigues me.

Just realized that I talked about mine, without ever posting a pic. Here's Emily, a tempremental gal that I've finally learned to handle. Before her maiden voyage (and before I put the keggles together)...
IMG_01542.JPG

And midway through her second brewday:
IMG_01633.JPG

She has a twin brother called Hal, too!

Great Rig 5 Thumbs! I am getting ready to start planning mine and would love to get some more detail about how your system works? For example. Have you just incorporated the lids like Mr.Mac? Or are you doing things another way? Thanks for the information. Great build... and beutiful. I keep going back and forth about Stainless or Reg Steel with high heat paint. One is cheaper but the other is just so damn pretty!

AGBrewer, if you're still listening to this thread, I just noticed the CFC. How long is that? 50 ft? I built mine from a thread here in HBT, and it's only 25 ft.

IrregularPulse, even though AG may stand for All Grain, it could be Agriculture too. Given the color scheme, AGBrewer may have intended a dual meaning. aphex732 may be the only person who caught on.

AGBrewer, if you're still listening to this thread, I just noticed the CFC. How long is that? 50 ft? I built mine from a thread here in HBT, and it's only 25 ft.

I think he needed it to be bigger for the coolent flow... hmmm thats interesting:

perpetual%20chiller.JPG

I think in this configuration it still might be under sized. :p

Great Rig 5 Thumbs! I am getting ready to start planning mine and would love to get some more detail about how your system works? For example. Have you just incorporated the lids like Mr.Mac? Or are you doing things another way? Thanks for the information. Great build... and beutiful. I keep going back and forth about Stainless or Reg Steel with high heat paint. One is cheaper but the other is just so damn pretty!

The boil keggle lid has one quick disconnect fit fitting that leads to a short pipe and elbow fitting to let the sweet wort run down the side of keggle from the mash tun during the sparge (see the picture in our build thread - link in my signature).

The mash tun keggle has two quick disconnects. One for the Blichmann auto-sparge and a second for cleaning/sanitation/liquid transfer purposes.

The smaller keggle (European) lid does not have any quick disconnects attached. We transfer via the ball-lock valve.

Cheers! :mug:

Back