Show us your Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kind of ghetto, but that's what happens when you're on a college budget.

19169_1307118552947_1080031523_893384_3534937_n.jpg
That's not ghetto, it's "simplistic and functional".

IMG_1755.JPG

My $80 score on a local internet classified website netted this. It is ~7cubic feet, and was a little hammered.

IMG_1779.JPG

I have a pile of old lumber from a disassembled play-set that we found in our backyard when we moved in four years ago. At the time of disassembly, it wasn't clear what kind of wood it was since it was already grey and weathered somewhat. I am red-green colorblind, and had no idea what it was (I assumed it was pine). SWMBO recognized a strong red color in the mitered cuts...Redwood! YAHOO! I sanded it and got some color to come out. Good enough for me. I like the slightly beat-up look for it since the fridge is also slightly beat up. I also got a new 2x2 of redwood that is much lighter to glue on top of the 2x6 collar. Together, they raise the height enough that I can fit 2 more kegs on the compressor hump. I screwed the corners together and fixed them onto the freezer with angle brackets on top of a strip of dense foam weatherstripping. I also painted the freezer with black enamel paint- such an awesome result after only $8.00 !!!

IMG_1782.JPG

I got a mechanical thermostat from chicompany.net for $36 . Such a great deal here- It adjusts from ~30F to 110F. The probe hangs freely inside the freezer and the control hides nicely next to the compressor underneath.

IMG_1784.JPG

IMG_1794.JPG

I also got a CO2 manifold from chicompany.net for expansion in the future. I had some leftover 1 1/2" foam board from our greenhouse construction project, and it fits perfectly inside the collar and is taped up at the gaps between it and the freezer interior.

I only have 2 faucets at the moment , but will eventually expand to 4 when budget and the brew-backlog allows. The tap handles have original "Miller Lite" labels, as a decoy strategy that should help keep snobbery drinkers from wanting to pour a glass :cross:

IMG_1792.JPG

I'm quite pleased with the result.

Thanks, it's been sitting unfinished like that for a couple weeks now. Haven't gotten around to actually setting the tile... sucks not having my own tools, slows me way down.

I've been curious about your bar top. Are those random tiles raised higher than the rest? Won't that be a pain trying t set glasses down? Or am I not seeing it right?

They're higher because we just set them out on top of the base tile to get a feel for how it will look. I went back and cut out the tiles underneath to drop them in place sometime after the picture was taken.

i like the random raised tile look. if it were me, i'd keep it that way, and then epoxy over them all, including up over the raised ones. it would add a nice depth to the top, and yet still be a smooth top.

I could do that, but then the gallon of epoxy i bought wouldn't be nearly enough to cover. That stuff is expensive.

Fridge was a freebee thanks to Craigslist

Little shelf in the bottom allows 4 cornys plus 10 # CO2

Chalk board is krylon Chalk board spray paint

Keging equipment is all from Keg Connection. (shameless plug). He's right down the road in San Marcos and his prices plus customer help was right on.

Kegerator inside.jpg

Kegerator Outside.jpg

I added two taps last night, I will add two more in the future. Probably put a stout tap in the middle. I also moved the Co2 tank to the outside.

P1010100-1.jpg

P1010095.jpg

I can fit six corny's in this bad boy. I still need a secondary regulator and a gas manifold. Will be purchased in the very near future.

Ok, I just finished mine and it turned out great. I have about $$375 bucks invested.

Holds 4 kegs

Medium sized frig. (Used) $ 25.00
All tubes, Taps etc. $340.00
Kegs Free (Used)
Co2 Tank Free!

795142kegerator.jpg

I hope that's not your co2 tank on it's side on the top... you can damage your regulator with liquid co2 doing that. not to mention, if it's full, and just sitting on top of your fridge like that, you're just asking for an accident. *Always* tie down the co2 tank.

Ok, I just finished mine and it turned out great. I have about $$375 bucks invested.

Holds 4 kegs

Medium sized frig. (Used) $ 25.00
All tubes, Taps etc. $340.00
Kegs Free (Used)
Co2 Tank Free!

795142kegerator.jpg

Mine was about the same.
$50 for the fridge
one tap less so a little cheaper
free kegs and free co2
DSCF5442.jpg

I just finished this today!! woo! just need to find some handles. Have a belgian wheat and a cider ready to force carb.:rockin::rockin:

SDC10631.jpg

I just finished this today!! woo! just need to find some handles. Have a belgian wheat and a cider ready to force carb.:rockin::rockin:

SDC10631.jpg

This looks great! I would love to make mine look like this. I just bought my chest freezer and I think the look of this tile on the top would look perfect in my kitchen. Any tips for replicating your build?

Thanks!

This thread is an awesome resource. I've been motivated to undertake my own project. Spent the last 2 days mostly sanding on some beautiful cherry boards for a black Kenmore 8.8 cf chest freezer. Going with a 9 inch cherry collar, and making a cherry bar top for the lid rather than putting the factory one back on. I'll be posting some pics once I'm a little further along. Thanks to every here for the motivation.

Added a hinged lid to an ice cream cooler. Threw on a refer thermostat and a thermometer.

Keeps em cold, holds 2 5gallon cornys and a 5lb co2 bottle.

35-kegerator2.jpg

34-kegerator.jpg

Hopefully get some taps in there soon.

Finally completed mine. Nothing fancy, but very functional.

keggeratornew.jpg

Yea it's a mess. I don't care.

inside.jpg

Here's my in-progress pic.

4454053195_fa59abe35b.jpg

Colar is done and insulated w/ Great Stuff... Has a single keg of ESB in it with a party tap. Real taps on their way.

Next up will be painting the colar.

The top is a simple add on of a 1x3 pine wrapper so there is minimal damage to the actual lid. Wrapped that with moulding and added inexpensive lamenant on top. This will suffice for a while.

Our plan is to "man-cave" out our garage at which time I will update the skin on the keezer. Diamond plate perhaps :mug:...

Oh yeah, this is an 18 cf freezer I picked up on Craigslist for $70. the most expensive thing I've had to buy so far is the thermostat!

Back