Homebrew Supply Websites

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Joutlaw, can you tell me the procedures for the Austin Homebrew version of Sunshine Wheat? That was one of the really great things about St. Pats, they listed the actual ingredients of each kit in their catalog. That way you can use the recipe even if you don't buy kits. I have a couple of recipes from belgian wit but they are heavier than Sunshine. BTW I agree with More beer; don't use plastic. :cool:

DeFalco's is an excellent shop. it's my local HBS, and very knowledgable guy's, and good, fresh ingredients. they just don't offer the free shipping, but the prices are competitive.

try ***********. they have a list of all homebrew supply shops in the states. maybe you'll find one?

I have to praise Austin Homebrew Supply as well...

I ordered about $90 worth of stuff on monday. It got here (central CA) today! The UPS tracking site said estimated deliver of the 25th. This arrived 3 days early!

Awesome!

I have bought from both Homebrew Heaven and Midwest Supplies. However, I found a brew shop in Columbia, Maryland.

www.mdhb.com (Maryland Homebrew)

It is a great place, with some realy friendly and very knowledgeable people. Needed some supplies on a Sunday (realized it at 4.30 and they closed at 5.00!) So, I called them, and told them I was on my way. They were nice enough to stick around and wait for me to get there and stayed open for me while they helped me get all the additional supplies I need.

While it is convenient to point and click, I much prefer to go to their shop. I plan to get all my beer supplies from them (nothing against Midwest and HH).

I have used Defalcos and More beer. I have always been extremely please with morebeer, because of their prices, speedy delivery and excellent customer service. Defalcos is one of 2 local HBS I have used. They are the better one, but are further from me. The other one does not have a website that I know of.

For anyone in western Canada, www.paddockwood.com seems to have a pretty good selection.

I'm in Vancouver, and they're in Saskatoon, but my HBS sends me to them for anything they don't have. Haven't ordered anything from them yet...

I'm lucky enough to work 5 min away from Heart's Homebrew. www.heartshomebrew.com

They seem to have a really nice selection and pretty decent prices. The guys there are really helpful and know their stuff.
icon14.gif

Just got my order from HopsDirect.com . Right now is their harvest season.
You have to order whole hops by the pound but Man do they smell good.
I bought 5 different kinds.

Thinkin about makin a pillow out of'um:D

Now these are some fresh hops fellas.

If it hasn't been said yet, I'd like to suggest www.homebrewden.com. It's my local HBS and they are always very helpful and have a pretty good selection of ingredients and equipment.

Sudster said:
Just got my order from HopsDirect.com . Right now is their harvest season.
You have to order whole hops by the pound but Man do they smell good.
I bought 5 different kinds.

Thinkin about makin a pillow out of'um:D

Now these are some fresh hops fellas.

Hops Direct RULES!! Sudster is 100% correct!!! I received my order of 8 pounds of 8 different hops, and was completely happy.

BUT, each pound is sealed up in a foil bag, and SUPPOSED to be a pound... I dont think so. More like a pound and a half! I used a half a pound of Fuggles in my last batch and seemed like I didnt even put a dent in the bag. Plus they were fresh and in perfect shape.

My local hbs is Maltose Express in Monroe CT, www.maltose.com. I think you can order over the phone from them, not really sure. The staff is great there, very helpful, the owners are the authors of "Clone Brews" Mark and Tess Szamatulski. The staff there will answer any questions you have, and they encourage you to call them if you ever have any questions again, I know for me that was great when I was just starting out.

Bought some stuff. Shipping was quick and free. Hydrometer I bought was broke when I got it though. (Most likely UPS's fault) Gave them a call and they sent a new one out that day. Got it a couple of days later. Looks good! Good Service. Happy and pleased.

The only complaint I have is that I also ordered an airlock, separately, that cost a dollar something. Shipping on that though was over 8 bucks and was shipped in a big box. The 8 bucks is cheaper then it costs in gas to get to my LHBS though so I guess it was worth it. It costs $ 20.00 in gas to get to my LHBS and back.

Overall I am pleased with their service and would recommend them to anyone!

$8.00 shipping for an airlock!?!?

Holy ****.... what a ripoff. Those things only weigh a few grams.

-walker

I just got my kit from the Grape and Granary (Grapeandgranary.com). Good service and they shipped to out here in the middle of the ocean. They didn't over charge for shipping.

I also go a couple of kits from them. They look really good; crushed grain for steeping, dry hop packets, etc. make a good beer easy. (I had them ship by slow boat, so I had 9 weeks to read up on brewing)

One big plus is that thay also sell kits for making cheese and vinegar... with vinegar kit it at least gives you an excuse when your beer goes off.

fish

Dunno if it has been mentioned or not, but homebrewheaven.com is a lot more reasonable than the B&M shops, and does free shipping on orders over $200 (I think).

Do any of you guys get discounts at your HBS,for both beer and winemaking ?

What kind of discount are we talking about 5%, 10% more or less, also whats the minimum purchase required to get the discount ?
You mention the one has to be a member of the local hbs to get the discount in the first place, Do you mean a subscription membership where if the normal protocol applies, it costs more to enrol than what benefits or discounts are offered ?

well, most HBC's have a annual membership fee. i think my local was $24 dollars/year. at defalco's, you get 10% discount after you spend so much. i don't know the amount. they keep track of it on their store system, and give you a punch card. when your punch card is full, you get the discount for 6 months. basically, it never ends. the club discount is on equipment only. i think it's another 5%.
as you can tell, i don't worry too much about discounts. i look for quality ingredients and equipment. any diso**** i happen to get is a bonus.
all the shops will be pretty competitive, so it all works out in the wash. that's why i go for quality service and goods.

10% if you spend over $250 ..ouch

How does 5% sound on all items if you spend say a minimun of £65 in th UK (UK residence applies) only on online purchases.

The same ruling and costs for the US from a US supplier ??

El Pistolero said:
10% off on ingredients only, after you've spent $250. :eek:
maybe so? i bought my begineers kit from them years ago, and don't think it was but maybe $100. i've got my 10% every since then. maybe 6 years ago????? i'm in there pretty regular too. like i said, i go for servie and quality. it's hard to judge service and quality from a computer screen. just my take on it.....

DeRoux's Broux said:
maybe so? i bought my begineers kit from them years ago, and don't think it was but maybe $100.
I was thinking about a $100 too, but I just counted the holes in my current card...it's $250. I'm just short of finishing my second card...it blows me away that I've spent that much money in that place in 4 months, but I just went back thru the checkbook, and sure enough I have. :(

DeRoux's Broux said:
so, your not getting the 10% right now?
Yeah, I'm just $30 shy of finishing my second card. They may have a smaller card for newbies tho, cuz it seems like I got the discount the second time I went in, and I know I only spent $150 or so the first time. The 10% is kind of mute for me anyway...they're prices on DME make it far cheaper to buy from Northern Brewer, so I've just been getting grains and yeast from them.

whatever works, right????

i buy some equipment from northern brewer too. but, i always know what i'm getting before i order it.

Clay said:
Bought some stuff. Shipping was quick and free. Hydrometer I bought was broke when I got it though. (Most likely UPS's fault) Gave them a call and they sent a new one out that day. Got it a couple of days later. Looks good! Good Service. Happy and pleased.

The only complaint I have is that I also ordered an airlock, separately, that cost a dollar something. Shipping on that though was over 8 bucks and was shipped in a big box. The 8 bucks is cheaper then it costs in gas to get to my LHBS though so I guess it was worth it. It costs $ 20.00 in gas to get to my LHBS and back.

Overall I am pleased with their service and would recommend them to anyone!

the 8.00 shiping is probly there gen charge for shiping anything the smallest or lowest amount thay can charge.....

i run into that in my buisness as well....i am into computer building a case cost me 15.00 to ship weight 15 lbs i get the darn thing build by them cost me 10.00 to ship 20 to 25 lbs no guts 15.00 shipping 10.00 everything in computer...does not make sents....

SpinDance said:
Since I'm close to Cincinnati, I found Listermann's, which is close to downtown, and have been pleased with both their kits and service. They also have free shipping east of the Mississippi. Good folks and good service.

http://www.listermann.com/

I second that... I feel lucky to be so close to Listermann's. I bet they are about sick of seeing me though.

Listermann's is Phabulous! Their extract kits are awesome too.

Serving Northwest Arkansas is The Home Brewery. They have a lot of kits, and most of the equipment you'd need. However, selection of equipment is not that great. Only one kind of wort chiller, no kettles on the website larger than 5-gallons (though they sell larger kettles in the store, no spigot is attached). They don't carry whole hops. Full line of grain adjuncts. The guy who runs the place is a pretty mean until he sees you come in a few times, then he won't stop chatting.

All in all, a good place to go if you need something now.

Passload said:
Dave's Home Brew
Cool! Another Illinois homebrew shop!

I love the Belleview area.:) My ex-gf’s best friend’s husband owned a funeral home in Belleview!:(

Best thing about that part of Illinois is: you have easier access to Schlafly and Boulevard brews!

Back