Irish Red Ale Quaffable Irish Red (Extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pulled my first pint last night, beautiful color, excelent aroma and taste. I will probably pull another pint tonight, and post a picture of a beautiful glass of this taste of heaven. (I couldn't wait another week for my mom to get here before trying it)

I want to see what heaven looks like.... You are making me thirsty!! :tank:

with a 2 gallon boil how did you obtain 20 IBUs? did you use late extract addition? I'm gonna boil this at 4 gallons and try to hit 20 IBU

so I just brewed this today, and I totally did not read that it was caramel pils malt. I used .5lbs carapils....

is there an amount of caramel extract I can put in after fermentation to get the caramel flavoring I so very much lost?

so I just brewed this today, and I totally did not read that it was caramel pils malt. I used .5lbs carapils....

is there an amount of caramel extract I can put in after fermentation to get the caramel flavoring I so very much lost?

You are OK, caramel pils malt is a 5 SRM crystal malt. Its such a small amount that I doubt that would make a BIG difference. I once used 50/50 carapils & 10L. Leave it be, you will be fine as it is now.

This recipe looks awesome. I think I'll give this one a go in a batch or two (maybe with a little abv boost).

Everyone happy with this one? I was looking very heavily at possibly making this one of my first beers. Any recommended changes to the recipe that weren't covered in this thread? It looks pretty tasty :)

After looking at MANY Irish Red recipes, I've decided to give this one a shot. Went to the LHBS this afternoon and bought the ingredients. I tweaked a bit for my taste, but for the most part it will be right in line with yours. Thanks for sharing the recipe, I'll be sure to post how it comes out. This will be one of 3 brews that I'll be doing over the next 11 days! Gonna be a good spring! :D

Thanks for the recipe and all the comments, I think this will be my first beer.

However, this thread really needs some pics! Anyone? :)

This is a pic of the AG version. Tasty she was....

Aiden_s_1st_Beer_003.jpg

Well, I may or may not have screwed this one up a bit. I got back from Iraq, tried doing my first beer sleep deprived, and of all the stupid things to pull, I didn't even measure out the steeping grains. I ended up pouring all the 1lb bags into a grain sack before I realized that 5+ lbs. of grains might be a little excessive.

Unfortunately, they were already mixed together, so I ended up removing all but 2 lbs. of the grain and adjusting the steeping time on it so as not to extract an excessive amount of sugar, but still keep the proper color. Each grain was in a 1:1 ratio with the other, so the flavor is definitely not going to be right on this, but I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

QzjGb.jpg

0eMkO.jpg

I made an extract batch of this a while back, and all my friends loved it. It wasn't really to my taste, but a lot of people (especially girls) said it was the best batch I've brewed.

So this is what I picked for my first batch that wasn't from a kit. Made the following substitutions due to what my LHBS had available at the time (they are pretty popular and run out fairly frequently).

6 lb Muntons Light Extract in lieu of Briess Golden
Victory in lieu of Special Malt

I also subbed Safale US-05 for the Wyeast. I have always pitched dry yeast directly without problems, and my LHBS's motto is "Do what you know". I'll save the experimenting for a later batch.

I don't plan on putting this in a secondary either (again, do what you know). I haven't use a secondary in the past, and have never had problems with clarity (at least not in my opinion).

Wort had a nice light taste and great color. Looking forward to cracking open the first bottle!

If I want to do a 3 gallon batch of this do I just multiply all of the ingredients by 3/5ths?

Also, I'd be doing a full boil. I understand that will make my hops usage more effective so would 3/5 the hops still be ok? I don't mind it being slightly hoppier.

Thanks,
-Rob

please excuse my noobness but what are the numbers in bold?

85.6 6.00 lbs. Briess LME- Gold America 1.035 4
7.1 0.50 lbs. Caramel Pils Malt Belgium 1.034 2
3.6 0.25 lbs. Special Roast Malt America 1.033 40
1.9 0.13 lbs. Biscuit Malt Belgium 1.035 24
1.9 0.13 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350

also the second hop addition is 1 minute? or is it supposed to be 15

please excuse my noobness but what are the numbers in bold?

85.6 6.00 lbs. Briess LME- Gold America 1.035 4
7.1 0.50 lbs. Caramel Pils Malt Belgium 1.034 2
3.6 0.25 lbs. Special Roast Malt America 1.033 40
1.9 0.13 lbs. Biscuit Malt Belgium 1.035 24
1.9 0.13 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350

also the second hop addition is 1 minute? or is it supposed to be 15

You must have not noticed the line above;

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM

The first set of numbers is the percentage of the grainbill that that grain makes up. Often breweries will give you the percentages of grain in their recipes, but leave the scaling up or down of the batch size to you.

Yes the last hop addition is at one minute, but it could also be at flameout just as easily.

lol looking back now i didnt notice the line above. thanks :cross:

as for the hops just making sure it was not 15 mins..
opened up a primary today definitely making this next.

I'd like to make this for my second batch (won't be for a couple weeks yet - going to start my first batch of Graff this weekend. Me loves cider). Anyways, I am obviously very very new and I've been reading the how-to's and wiki's on this site, but I think I am a little confused about how to apply this recipe to a process? I assume there is some implied stuff that I just don't know, so can anyone point me at a resource which will teach me how to take the information from this thread and turn it into a "recipe" which tells me to "do this, then that, etc". Not looking for someone to "do the work for me" and explain how to make this, just need a little nudge to the right learning resource. :)

Also, how's the head on this beer? I like a big creamy head on Irish Ale... like as close to a Guinness head as can be without nitrogen. Would the addition of a head retention grain be appropriate for this beer (and if so, maybe how much?) or is the head pretty good already?

Thanks!

I always type out an instruction sheet for brew day. It keeps me organized, lets me make sure I have everything ready, and really makes the process smooth. Below is the instructional section of it for this recipe when I brewed it:

Brewing:
 Sterilize all equipment.
 Heat 3 gallons water to 160 degrees
 Steep Grains 30 minutes
 Bring to boil
 Add LME
 Add Goldings Hops
 Boil 60 min.
 Add Willamette Hops, shut off burner
 Cool wort to 70 degrees.
 Check OG, target 1.047
 Pour into primary fermentor, aerating.
 Pitch yeast.

I actually check it off as I go down. I know, probably overkill, but what can I say, I'm an engineer.

The grains are steeped in a steeping bag. I put one of those satellite-looking steamer inserts in the bottom of the boil kettle so they aren't sitting directly on the heat.

I also include a place to write OG readings, brew and bottle dates, comments, etc. Once it's all done I put it in my filing cabinet where I keep all my other paperwork and can reference it for my next batch or next time I want to make that recipe.

I always type out an instruction sheet for brew day. It keeps me organized, lets me make sure I have everything ready, and really makes the process smooth. Below is the instructional section of it for this recipe when I brewed it:

Brewing:
 Bring to boil
 Add LME
 Add Goldings Hops
 Boil 60 min.
 Check OG, target 1.047
 Pitch yeast.

I actually check it off as I go down. I know, probably overkill, but what can I say, I'm an engineer.

The grains are steeped in a steeping bag. I put one of those satellite-looking steamer inserts in the bottom of the boil kettle so they aren't sitting directly on the heat.

I also include a place to write OG readings, brew and bottle dates, comments, etc. Once it's all done I put it in my filing cabinet where I keep all my other paperwork and can reference it for my next batch or next time I want to make that recipe.

This is AWESOME, especially for newbies like me... any chance you can email your template file?

Brewing:
 Bring to boil
 Add LME
 Add Goldings Hops
 Boil 60 min.
 Check OG, target 1.047
 Pitch yeast.

One more question from your list... You list boil 3 gallons, this recipe is saying pre-boil wort 2.35g and 2.0g wort size.

Is this a change you made? I assume that, based on the original instructions, you would boil 2.35g of water, add all your LME and grains, and then after evaporation and grains absorbing water you end up with 2.0g of wort, which you combine with 3.0g of water in your fermentor?

Thanks for answering my newb questions!

It's just a change I made, I have always used a 3 gal grain steep and boil, so I stuck with that.

I lost about 3 quarts in the boil and sediment. Once cooled and poured into the primary, I topped it off with enough water to get to the 5 gal mark and took my gravity readings.

Hey Guys,

i need a substitution for a substitution.
I want to Brew up this Quaffable Irish Red Extract recipe next weekend but my LHBS is missing a couple of ingredients.
The LHBS doesn't carry Special Roast Malt in their grain lineup and Schlenkerla
said in an earlier posting that you can substitute a 50/50 Blend of Melanoidin and Caramunich for the Special Roast Malt amount.
Unfortunately my LHBS doesn't carry Melanoidin either. bummer

What are some alternatives that I can use for Melanoidin part of the Special Roast Malt sustitution?

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Redbeard5289

I brewed this up last night. Had to make a few substitutions:

6 lb LME
0.5 lb Caramel Pils
0.5 lb Brown Malt
0.13 lb Biscuit Malt
0.13 lb Chocolate Malt

1 oz Goldings 60min
1 oz Fuggles 1min

Grains steeped at 155 for 30 min.

Wyeast 1056 American Ale

OG was 1.043 (pretty close to 1.047).

I don't expect this to turn out as good as the original recipe. Probably won't have that nutty flavour I was hoping for. Nevertheless I am excited. Your thoughts?

What are some alternatives that I can use for Melanoidin part of the Special Roast Malt sustitution?
Redbeard5289

I used Victory instead of the Special Roast. It's a pretty common substitution from what I can find. May sacrifice some of the redness.

I just cracked open the first bottle of this after 1 week of conditioning. I know some people might assault me for that, but I like to check that it's carbonating and see how the flavor evolves over time. It's worth a few bottles to me.

It seems like it will turn out great, pretty close to the color I was looking for, and that unique red ale taste is definitely in there. Still pretty sweet, and a touch of the "green apple" taste which should go away with time. Carbonation still pretty light.

I do have a question though, my basement is staying down around 55 degrees, which is probably slowing the conditioning. Anyone have experience at that low of a temp for this type of ale?

I used Victory instead of the Special Roast. It's a pretty common substitution from what I can find. May sacrifice some of the redness.

I just cracked open the first bottle of this after 1 week of conditioning. I know some people might assault me for that, but I like to check that it's carbonating and see how the flavor evolves over time. It's worth a few bottles to me.

It seems like it will turn out great, pretty close to the color I was looking for, and that unique red ale taste is definitely in there. Still pretty sweet, and a touch of the "green apple" taste which should go away with time. Carbonation still pretty light.

I do have a question though, my basement is staying down around 55 degrees, which is probably slowing the conditioning. Anyone have experience at that low of a temp for this type of ale?

Bring it upstairs for 14 days, (~68F) then put it back downstairs until you start packing the fridge.

I brewed this up last night. Had to make a few substitutions:

6 lb LME
0.5 lb Caramel Pils
0.5 lb Brown Malt
0.13 lb Biscuit Malt
0.13 lb Chocolate Malt

1 oz Goldings 60min
1 oz Fuggles 1min

Grains steeped at 155 for 30 min.

Wyeast 1056 American Ale

OG was 1.043 (pretty close to 1.047).

I don't expect this to turn out as good as the original recipe. Probably won't have that nutty flavour I was hoping for. Nevertheless I am excited. Your thoughts?

this thing is brewing like mad in my basement!

Back