Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great minds think alike.

BTW, thirsty, what do you have under your burner? I have two pieces of 2x6, and even though the inside edges are not directly under the burner, they got too hot to touch. No sign of burning, but I'm definitely gonna stand by and watch when the burner is on.

Some Ply - I got a bit nervous after your post so i conducted a heat test of my own. It was really hot, no scorching or burning though - worse i guess is that it could crack. maybe should add a fire extinguisher to the side.

still a work in progress, but its almost there, i just have to put drawer fronts on and a few other small bits

http://s944.photobucket.com/albums/ad287/martinworswick/?action=view&current=31-12-09_1902.jpg&newest=1

martinworswick

edit-for some reason the photos don't seem to work.hmm
edit 2- changed it to a link, seems to work now.

Some Ply - I got a bit nervous after your post so i conducted a heat test of my own. It was really hot, no scorching or burning though - worse i guess is that it could crack. maybe should add a fire extinguisher to the side.

Yeah, or you could do like I did, use 2x6's. Go ahead, copy me some more.:mug:

What is your mash tun? Mine is a Home Deplorable 10 gal cooler. Hot tap water, a little less than 140ºF, warped the inside liner. It's still intact, but I'm not sure how many batches I'll be able to do with it. I've heard of these doing that with hotter temps, but at 140º, not so much. I bought two because I was planning on a pump, but decided to go with a single cooler design. At least I have a backup, but I'm wondering if I should hunt down another Sanke.

MVC-757S-1.jpg

SS Herms electric/gas HLT, electric Pid stir motor, recirculating mash tun, hard piped

Swagman:cool:

Now that's a contraption... 10 Gallon batches I presume?
[edit]
contraption |kənˈtrap sh ən|
noun
a machine or device that appears strange or unnecessarily complicated, and often badly made or unsafe.
:mug:
[/edit]

Single Tier Build. It is powered by natural gas. I wanted to continue batch sparging so I only set it up with two burners. I can add the third whenever I want.

Nice looking rig. Where are you all getting your burners, regulators, etc. I am interested in propane parts.

Thanks!

Nice looking rig. Where are you all getting your burners, regulators, etc. I am interested in propane parts.

Thanks!

Wow, every time I check out this thread I get more ideas and in turn questions.

What is the optimal distance between burner and kettle bottom. I realize that flame pattern is dependent burner design, BTU output, etc. Assuming that the burner is choked correctly burning nice and blue, etc. What is the best way to determine the optimum distance?

Ideas welcome!

Rick

I have 3 banjo burners and I put mine at about 2 inches. They cover well and not affected by wind to bad .

I did spend a few hours polishing mine and yes they are a little darker near the bottom but still look good.

I am using the SP10 burner with ??? a 10 PSI reg. I don't have specifics for you.

I'm using a 0-60 psi reg but I get the best flame at about 15 psi. I really have to watch the flow or I just waste alot of heat out the sides.

I have heard that with the banjo burners like you are using that they are a bit touch on control. With the smaller SP10 that I have I don't get flames licking the side of the kettle at all. I could probably benefit from a wider flame spread. Mine runs nice and blue throughout the range of the valve.

How much time does it take you to reach boil for a 5 or 10 gal batch?

I have heard that with the banjo burners like you are using that they are a bit touch on control. With the smaller SP10 that I have I don't get flames licking the side of the kettle at all. I could probably benefit from a wider flame spread. Mine runs nice and blue throughout the range of the valve.

How much time does it take you to reach boil for a 5 or 10 gal batch?

I've gotten mine adjusted pretty well right now. I can see the blue flames really good at night but can't see hardley any flame during the day. It takes me less than 15 minutes to bring 5 gals. to a good goil.

Hmmm, 15 minutes. Wow, you've got me covered. I better check mine. I don't think I can do that.

Happy brewing! I have some football to watch now! Go Ducks!

Since this thread got dug back up, I thought I'd add my new single tier. This pic is from a recent brew day when we had them both going. The 3-tier has a new home now.

Sparky, I lookin to add a Whirlpool Return such as your's in the picture above. I was curious if it adjusts for smaller batches?

Sparky, I lookin to add a Whirlpool Return such as your's in the picture above. I was curious if it adjusts for smaller batches?

I put a piece of silicone tubing on my return weighted with a bit of 1/2" copper pipe at the end . Works great for any sized batch.

S5034199.jpg

Thanks!

My rig is powered by natural gas using Hurricane burners purchased at Northern Brewers.

Hurricane will push LP gas as well.

I took some better pictures this time. Last time it was too dark and you couldnt see much.

DSCF2231.JPG

DSCF2232.JPG

Sleepy_Hound1.JPG

and heres a shot of my first boil in it on new years eve.

DSCF2229.JPG

Since this thread got dug back up, I thought I'd add my new single tier. This pic is from a recent brew day when we had them both going. The 3-tier has a new home now.

Got a fancy new full false bottom from jaybird, too. Works GREAT!

One more pic...

What size is the tubing ?

......UPS freight says its Fontana California.

Scheduled delivery is Monday

edit*
Now it's in Tucson!!!! Im almost tempted to drive up and pick it up myself

The burner shields are simple tapered stove pipe pieces. I got the idea from the techs who installed my new boiler. I figure it the pipe could handle the heat coming out of my boiler it should be more than enough to block some wind and take a little heat from the burner on the brew rigs.

Each piece was less than $10.

The burner shields are simple tapered stove pipe pieces. I got the idea from the techs who installed my new boiler. I figure it the pipe could handle the heat coming out of my boiler it should be more than enough to block some wind and take a little heat from the burner on the brew rigs.

Each piece was less than $10.

That is a great idea and very simple. I just finished making 2 12 inch octagons out of 11 gauge steel. If I would have seen this first it would have made my life easier.

This is a little something my dad and I put together. Its a simple gravity feed set up. Tomorrow will be the first brew with it!:mug:

brewrig.jpg

At one point I considered going with shelving like that but decided against it cause it most cases there is plastic piece where the shelves attach that hold them on. I would be concerned about them heating up and the shelves falling.

I am curious if you had any problems with that on your first brew

At one point I considered going with shelving like that but decided against it cause it most cases there is plastic piece where the shelves attach that hold them on. I would be concerned about them heating up and the shelves falling.

I am curious if you had any problems with that on your first brew

The first brew went great. Heat from the burner doesn't really reach the plastic fittings. The MDF under the top burner was warm after the session but not hot. Works great so far! :rockin:

Back