Star San Spray bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steiger66

Reaction score
I want to make a 32 oz star san spray bottle. How much star san is used for such a small amount of water? Also how long does it keep?

I usually mix up a gallon and use a little less then 1/4oz StarSan. Then fill my squirt bottle and leave the rest of the solution in a 1gal sealed pitcher. I've had the current solution in my squirt bottle for around 3 weeks.

I usually mix up a gallon and use a little less then 1/4oz StarSan. Then fill my squirt bottle and leave the rest of the solution in a 1gal sealed pitcher. I've had the current solution in my squirt bottle for around 3 weeks.

Thanks sounds like a plan to me :)

I mix mine right in the spray bottle and I use the precise measurement of "a little bit of starsan".

Glad I could help. :D

LOL!! I have a rather small spray bottle, probably a pint, and when it gets low I just fill it up from the gallon of Star San solution I usually have around. Also, as mentioned in another post, I use RO water to mix Star San. Our well water is so hard that the SS solution will turn milky overnight if I use it.

there is a thread via search that has a measurement. I have to find it every time i want to make some. I want to say it's 1/4 tsp for 24 oz, but i might be off a bit.

I got a cheap oral syringe at Walgreens to measure small quantities of Star San or lactic acid. For 1qt, use 1.5 mL of Star San (based on the 1oz/5gal suggested ratio).

Yup, a pharmacy dosing syringe will do the trick, as will a debriding syringe from a first aid kit. You need 6ml Star San per gallon of water. I keep a gallon jug under the sink and top off my spray bottle as necessary.

Ditto. 6ml/gallon. I can use the same 1 gallon batch in my spray bottle for months when I use distilled water. Works great and very cheap sanitizer.

How long will it last if mixed with hard water? Mine clouds up immediatly. Never check the PH as I mix it every time I need it. Just wondering. I will go DI water the next time.

It will last indefinitely if mixed with DI or RO water and kept in a closed container. Mine lasts for months this way. Having said that, the only true way to determine if it's still good is by testing the pH. If the pH is still below 3.5 you are good to go. Basing it on the turbidity alone is not an accurate way to judge but I would not store this solution for long term use like I have just discussed. Nobody will really be able to tell you how long it will be good for with your specific water. You would have to test the pH.

This is an excellent resource for your Starsan questions.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/charlie-talley-five-star-chemicals-notes-brewcasts-58928/

I second the aprx 30 ml per 5 gallon (29.57ml ~ 1 fluid ounce). 5 gallons = 18.9271 liters or 19 liters.

So ~ 6ml per gallon, 3 ml per 1/2 gallon....

1.5 ml per quart. or 1.6 ml per liter.

That's as small as I would go to measure accurately. But as Scut says - you really only know if you test the ph.

I'll just add that you can pick up distilled water in any drug or grocery store for a dollar or two. It's great to use in your iron too, it won't leave mineral residue that can stain your clothes.

29.8 ml per gallon, old post but for people looking fo information.

Sorry for waking the dead :D

29.8 ml per gallon, old post but for people looking fo information.

Sorry for waking the dead :D

A sure way to piss off the dead is to wake them with errant information.

While I'm sure they'd be quite pleased with your recommendation as it would drive their volume up by a factor of 5, per the manufacturer the actual standard ratio is 1 fluid ounce - 29.57353 ml, to be precise - per FIVE gallons.

Thus the per gallon solution would use 0.2 fluid ounces - 5.914706 milliliters.

fwiw, I use a half tablespoon per gallon as it's only a scoche more than needed...

Cheers!

fwiw, I use a half tablespoon per gallon as it's only a scoche more than needed..

That's a "bit" more than the 1.5tsp in 5Q that I use based on FiveStar's original homebrew recommendations of 2 Tablespoons per 5 gallons which converts to 0.25 teaspoons StarSan in 3.333 Cups (~26 fl oz) water (1/4 tsp in 3 and 1/3 C).

But FiveStar's current (2010) recommendation for parts soaking from their tech sheet (found at their homebrew products page) is more than double: 2 (fluid) ounces of StarSan with 4 gallons of water, or 4 Tablespoons StarSan and 4 Gallons water = 1T in 1G = 3t in 4Q = 0.75t in 1Q. I'm going to email them about the difference... (their brewtanks recommendation is closer to the original at 7 floz per bbl but the parts soaking is given in homebrew sizes)

It's easier to steal the solution to refresh a spray bottle from a larger mix being used for fermenters or kegs.

I use a half tablespoon per gallon as it's only a scoche more than needed....

Seven years and two pages later, someone posts the answer that I can work with.

Thank you!

PS - For those who don't have a half-tablespoon measurement, that would be 1.5 teaspoons.

...the 1.5tsp in 5Q that I use based on FiveStar's original homebrew recommendations of 2 Tablespoons per 5 gallons which converts to 0.25 teaspoons StarSan in 3.333 Cups (~26 fl oz) water (1/4 tsp in 3 and 1/3 C).

FiveStar replied to me and agreed that their tech sheet is confusing and that "Starsan should always be used according to the label which is 1 oz in 5 gallons of water", which is the ratios I described above.

The real key though is the pH of the solution, which FiveStar confirmed should be below 3.5.

Adding another useful measurement....

Use a syringe like you give small children medicine with and mix 6ml to 1 gallon of distilled or RO water.

[EDIT - I see now that it was posted before, on this thread....]

Back