Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started my Apfelwein on Thursday night. Added the Montrachet yeast to 5 gallons of Hy-Top 100% Apple Juice and 2 lbs. dextrose.

I was beginning to see tiny bubbles later the next morning and just returned tonight (Monday night from 3 days vacation).

I walked into the office which hasn't had good ventilation and the smell was crazy weird, but good, just extremely strong. Like peed diapers and apples.

Should I move this into the garage so my wife doesn't kick me out??

Would love to know if you guys also experience the funky smell of apple juice + montrachet fermentation.

Thanks,
Ben

Yes, funky smell is normal. It's often referred to as "rhino farts." Whether or not you move it to please your wife, that's up to you :D But it will subside after a few days or a week.

also I've found that the rhino farts aren't as rhinoish if the ambient temp is a little lower say 65-68 steady

Well things are finally starting to smell better. You're right about the temperature, I've cooled the house down a bit just by leaving the windows open now and then and things are a steady 68 degrees — although it hasn't slowed the fermentation action.

No kreuzen as expected but very bubbly.

also I've found that the rhino farts aren't as rhinoish if the ambient temp is a little lower say 65-68 steady

Well my Apfelwein has been going for about 11 days now. I think the majority of the fermentation was done in 4-5 days though there is still a little bubbling on the top, but no airlock activity. SG at 9 days was 0.999, but I guess some folks have had it go down to 0.992 by the end. Tasted OK.. a little sour, a little thin, but quite apple-y and I could see how chilled and carbed it might already be drinkable and similar to a Woodpecker cider...so I have high hopes for the finished product. Temp in the basement was around 73-74 for the first week or so but just dropped down to 68-69.

Yup- one more question! I did read thru the WHOLE thread! I have a one gallon batch of apfelwein going and am getting ready to fill my 5 gallon carboy with the next batch. I just bought apple juice concentrate(frozen) on sale and was wondering if you have to boil the water before mixing the AJ concentrate in? I have well water which is quite hard but great tasting, but with all the sanitizing that has to be done with the equipment, I just want to make sure that I don't screw it up by adding well water that might not be as sterile as the bottled juice that has been pasteurized. I did use bottled juice for the one gallon batch and it is still perking along nicely.
Thanks Edwort for the great and easy recipe to get my feet wet with!

I have used my well water right from the tap for Meads without any sanitation issues, and generally do not boil my Mead musts. I've also used some to bring up an Ale to volume to make up for evaporation losses during boil. As I did it, I realized that I probably should have boiled it first but I guess I got lucky.

I would say boil for peace of mind, or at least wipe your faucet well with sanitizer before filling the jug. Your water is probably fine, but the faucet may be a different story. I guess you could go one step further and take the faucet aerator apart and boil the screen and other parts that might incubate bacteria over time. I actually didn't do any of this..and worried about it. Luckily Meads are easier due to the natural antibacterial nature of Honey as well as the relatively high resulting alcohol content, and my Gruit Ale seems to have turned out ok as well (though it also had a bunch of antibacterial herbs in it).

Thanks for the quick reply! I have a huge stainless stock pot that will hold the water,and to bring it to a boil so I can get that going after I get the smoker set up(smoking some Canadian bacon today too)- so many things to do and so little time in a day!:D

Started my first batch 7 days ago. I used 4.5 gallons of Mott's with 1 lb of brown sugar. I used a dry wine yeast called Premier Cuvee and also added 3 cinnamon sticks and a small amount of whole cloves. OG 1.056.

It bubbled pretty constantly for about 4 days, and now has subsided to a bubble about every half a minute or so. Smelled a little sufurous for the first 3 days, but the smell cleared after that.

I am going for a 5.5% - 6.5% ABV, easy drinking brew that is a little sweet. I think I'm going to carbonate it, maybe with apple juice concentrate or a little honey.

Thanks for the quick reply! I have a huge stainless stock pot that will hold the water,and to bring it to a boil so I can get that going after I get the smoker set up(smoking some Canadian bacon today too)- so many things to do and so little time in a day!:D

Just remember to let it cool to room temp before reconstituting the juice. I don't know if it is a problem with apple juice concentrate, but heating or boiling fruit juice in general tends to set pectin and result in persistent haze. You could add some pectic enzyme to overcome this. I've done this for a Cyser where fresh unfiltered apple juice/cider was used, (though I didn't heat it) and it cleared perfectly. It seems that the Apfelwein and Graff recipes seem to clear just fine without the Pectinase, so maybe it isn't a problem without excess heating.

Just remember to let it cool to room temp before reconstituting the juice. I don't know if it is a problem with apple juice concentrate, but heating or boiling fruit juice in general tends to set pectin and result in persistent haze. You could add some pectic enzyme to overcome this. I've done this for a Cyser where fresh unfiltered apple juice/cider was used, (though I didn't heat it) and it cleared perfectly. It seems that the Apfelwein and Graff recipes seem to clear just fine without the Pectinase, so maybe it isn't a problem without excess heating.

It is a good thing that I let my common sense kick in! I let the water cool to a medium heat and put my brown sugar in to dissolve it, and then when it was just lukewarm I used it to take the ice out of the thawing apple juice, the temp of the carboy when I got done was about 75* F and it was perfect for pitching the yeast, why there is already a ring of what looks like yeast on the top of the juice and the vodka in the airlock is starting to move to the other side, so I am hoping for a quick start! The LHBS is about 40 minutes away and while it is not far I could not see running there to buy corn sugar- but I might get some next time I am in town (Grand Rapids). I did use the Lavlin LV-1118 as the BS was out of the Montrachet. Thankfully I have a Hubby that loves wine and was very cool about the extra juice expense this grocery bill!
I know that it gets better with age, but I am hoping to have a few bottles carbed by the Holidays, as I love sparkling cider (on the dry side is fine!) and would love some for bringing in the New Year and for my birthday a few days later!
As for giving for gifts, I only have a few relatives that enjoy wine and they do like the dry whites, so I can see a couple of bottles going to them would be a real treat! Since the one family member that would like it the most is the same BIL that gets me as many food grade 3 to 5 gallon buckets with lids for FREE, I think that this would be a great payback! Not that he doesn't enjoy the sauerkraut and dill pickles that I make in the buckets, but I think a couple bottles of wine might be a bit classier!:D
Boy, the Canadian bacon smoking must be making the whole neighborhood's mouths water! LOL! Nothing like teasing the neighbors!:p

Not sure if this is a good thing or not... but the airlock is still going strong with a good bubble every 5 seconds or so.

I used Edwort's standard recipe with 5 gallons of apple juice, 2 lbs of dextrose with Red Star Montrachet wine yeast.

Looking great! Can't wait to taste it.

edworts-apfelwein.jpg

Well, I must be doing something right- The Dreaded Rino Farts are here! But since I have fish tanks I just took one of the small filter cartridges ( white spongy thing with the charcoal in it)that has the activated charcoal in it and laid it over the top of the airlock and it has already taken most of the smell out- they are not as bad as I thought they would be- the grandbaby had worse diapers this weekend!:D

Does anyone who uses better bottles (Ed) have any issues with lingering odors or flavors after using it for Apfelwein? Or should this be done in a dedicated bottle?

I am going to make this tonight I plan on fermenting for 4 weeks the kegging and force carbonation in the keezer for another 4.

I after I taste it I will get another one started and let it age longet to see if it makes a significant difference.

Thanks for this thread the internet is great. What did we do before the internet?

Does anyone who uses better bottles (Ed) have any issues with lingering odors or flavors after using it for Apfelwein? Or should this be done in a dedicated bottle?

Nope. I use my BBs for wine, beer, apfelwein, whatever, but I never mix plastic pails since those do absorb odors and flavors (eg hops).

4569-ApfelweinBench.jpg

Apfelwein - Fermenting

Award Winning Apfelwein Recipe (German Hard Cider) Apple Wine Recipe
Placed 1st in the Cider & Apple Wine category at the BJCP sanctioned Alamo Cerveza fest (out of 11 entries) and took 2nd place for Best of Show for the main category of Meads & Ciders (out of 50 entries).

Ingredients

5 Gallons 100% Apple Juice (No preservatives or additives) I use Tree Top Apple Juice
2 pounds of dextrose (corn sugar) in one pound bags
1 five gram packet of Montrachet Wine Yeast

Equipment

5 Gallon Carboy (I use a Better Bottle)
Carboy Cap or Stopper with Airlock
Funnel
  1. First sanitize the carboy, airlock, funnel, stopper or carboy cap.
  2. Open one gallon bottle of apple juice and pour half of it into the carboy using the funnel.
  3. Open one bag of Dextrose and carefully add it to the now half full bottle of apple juice. Shake well.
  4. Repeat Steps 2 and 3, then go to step 5.
  5. Pour in the mixture of Apple Juice and Dextrose from both bottles into the carboy.
  6. Add all but 1 quart of remaining 3 gallons of apple juice to the carboy.
  7. Open the packet of Montrachet Yeast and pour it into the neck of the funnel.
  8. Use the remaining quart of juice to wash down any yeast that sticks. I am able to fit all but 3 ounces of apple juice into a 5 gallon Better Bottle. You may need to be patient to let the foam die down from all shaking and pouring.
  9. Put your stopper or carboy cap on with an airlock and fill the airlock with cheap vodka. No bacteria will live in vodka and if you get suckback, you just boosted the abv.
There’s no need to worry about filling up a carboy so full when you use Montrachet wine yeast. There is no Kreuzen, just a thin layer of bubbles (see here). I'm able to fit all but 4 oz. of my five gallons in the bottle. Ferment at room temperature.

It will become cloudy in a couple of days and remain so for a few weeks. In the 4th week, the yeast will begin to drop out and it will become clear. After at least 4 weeks, you can keg or bottle, but it is ok to leave it in the carboy for another month or so. Racking to a secondary is not necessary. It ferments out very dry (less than 0.999, see here)

Apfelwein really improves with age, so if you can please let it sit in a carboy for up to 3 months before bottling or kegging, then let it sit even longer. Here's what some folks think.

If you want to bottle and carbonate, ¾ cup of corn sugar will work fine. Use as you would carbonate a batch of beer.

Remember to reserve judgment till after 3 glasses. It grows on you.

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND START ANOTHER BATCH 2 WEEKS AFTER YOU START THIS ONE.
YOU WILL THANK ME LATER!
:D

GENERAL QUESTIONS
compiled by Dammed Squirrels from the first 37 pages of this thread. Thanks DS!

How does it taste?
It ferments quite dry. Some people have tried different yeasts in order to achieve a sweeter taste. It may take you a few glasses to get a feel for the flavor. It is very reminiscent of a sort of apfelwein produced locally in Germany. There really is no comparable product in the United States. It's drier and less sweet than commercial hard ciders. It gets better with age and at 6+ months, the apple flavor really comes out.

How do you sweeten it?
Many folks back sweeten it with Wine Conditioner. Wine Conditioner is a blend of sucrose and sorbic acid. The addition of 2-4 oz. per gallon adds sweetness and prevents renewed fermentation. It can be purchased as any LHBS that caters to wine makers. Others will use Splenda or lactose (other non-fermentable sugars). Germans who prefer it sweet (or Suß as they say) will add a splash of Sprite or 7up to a glass. This is the easiest method as you don't have to make a whole "sweet" batch that way.

What is the difference between Apfelwein and hard cider?
EdWort says, “Most ciders are a bit sweeter. Ciders and Apfelwein are about 6% abv, but I like the little boost I give it with 2 pounds of Dextrose. It adds no body or flavor and still tastes like Possmann's Apfelwein, only it will kick your butt much quicker.”

Is this like Apfelmost / Apfel Korn?

No. Apfel Korn is a german liqeur made from wheat spirits. Apfelmost is spontaneously fermented with fresh-pressed apples or apple juice. It is probably similar, but the results may vary as a result of the spontaneous fermentation. Either way, Apfelmost is most certainly has a lower alcohol content since the initial gravity is not increased by the use of concentrate or corn sugar.

What’s the difference between apple juice and cider?

Cider is made by pressing apples. Juice is then filtered to remove all of the stuff that makes it cloudy.

Can I use apple cider instead?

Sure! You can use whatever you want. However, there is not enough information in this thread to give you any better details as to how it will turn out. I recommend starting a new thread or ask more experienced cider-makers.

What kind of Apple Juice should I use?

Ideally, you want to use 100% natural apple juice with no preservatives. The only acceptable preservative is ascorbic acid, which is a source of vitamin C and does not affect fermentation. Pasteurized juice is preferred, since it will have less bacteria.

How much will this recipe cost me?
5 gallons of Apfelwein can be made for between 20 and 25 dollars.

What else can you do with this recipe?
EdWort says, "this makes a great Grog in the winter time. Take a quart in a sauce pan, add some rum, turbinado sugar, and float a cinnamon stick in it and simmer for a while. Serve hot in mugs. It'll warm you right up."

ApfelweinWarning.jpg

Drink a quart of water and take 3 aspirin before going to sleep tol help reduce the effects of excessive Apfelwein consumption as well as the urge to call EdWort a M'F**kR the next morning!
:D

Alright, I know this is an old post, but I'm looking for something fun. I have a belgian white in my 5 gal secondary right now. how do you think it would be if I just used that cake and poured this recipe right on top? The yeast that's in there is White Labs Belgian Wit Ale WLP400. I also have an American Hefeweizen Wlp 320 that I have at my disposal. What do you think?

Happy Brewing,
Jacob

Nope. I use my BBs for wine, beer, apfelwein, whatever, but I never mix plastic pails since those do absorb odors and flavors (eg hops).

Thanks Sacc. I think once my Holiday ale makes its way into bottles that some Apfelwien is next on the list.

5418 posts in 17 days. My eyes are bleeding.

My synopsis:

RELAX!

Unless you used your carboy as a latrine you probably won't mess things up. I think only one person in the entire thread had a batch fail.

Most of the directions are in the first post. Don't read the title and ask how much priming sugar you need. It's right there. The search button for the thread is to the right.

Ascorbic acid is fine. Really. Potassium whatever is not.

Add yeast nutrients. It apparently smells less.

Don't boil anything.

A different wine yeast will not turn the juice into nerve gas. It will, at worst, taste funny.

You can carb or not carb. The Germans drink it uncarbed. Some people carb it.

And again, RELAX. Wait. Relax some more. Then drink.

Alright I am gonna make some of this stuff tonight, I am planning on leaving it in the primary for 2 months, then letting it bottle condition for 6 weeks. Just in time for Christmas.
Does this sound like enough time for aging?

Sorry if this is a repeat question but I really don't want to read through the tons of posts on this subject.

You forgot one IMPORTANT point:

Make 30 gallons of the stuff and squirrel it away.

You will thank me later. :D

+1K

Made a batch on January 3rd. Got it in the keg 2 weeks ago. Can't keep my damn hands off the AW! I will now be making a bi-monthly batch of AW so I can keep it available all the time. Great little summer quencher with appropriate moderation. Is awesome mulled with whatever you like for a winter warmer. Yep, it pays to make it regularly.

First batch has been brewing 3 weeks ... I know, I know, I'm a week late starting the second batch (on a two week cycle between first and second batch.)

I've never been to Africa ... and am wondering .... how the hell do all you guys know what Rhino farts smell like?

And ... how close to a rhino does one have to get to really smell the farts?

First batch has been brewing 3 weeks ... I know, I know, I'm a week late starting the second batch (on a two week cycle between first and second batch.)

I've never been to Africa ... and am wondering .... how the hell do all you guys know what Rhino farts smell like?

And ... how close to a rhino does one have to get to really smell the farts?

I've been wondering the same thing. ROFL!

Alright I am gonna make some of this stuff tonight, I am planning on leaving it in the primary for 2 months, then letting it bottle condition for 6 weeks. Just in time for Christmas.
Does this sound like enough time for aging?

Sorry if this is a repeat question but I really don't want to read through the tons of posts on this subject.

Yeah you should be good on that time frame. hell, I bottled a a batch last week that had been fermenting for four weeks. Had a few last night and they were damn tasty. Just can't keep my hands off the stuff! :drunk:

So my Costco has Kirkland brand "Fresh Pressed" apple juice. No other ingredients, not from concentrate. It's about $1 more expensive per 2gal than the Motts (which has the ascorbic acid). I think I'm going to go with the Kirkland... Hope it turns out ok! it's in cloudy jugs so I couldn't tell if the juice is cloudy or not. I'm assuming it probably is,....

So my Costco has Kirkland brand "Fresh Pressed" apple juice. No other ingredients, not from concentrate. It's about $1 more expensive per 2gal than the Motts (which has the ascorbic acid). I think I'm going to go with the Kirkland... Hope it turns out ok! it's in cloudy jugs so I couldn't tell if the juice is cloudy or not. I'm assuming it probably is,....

Pectic enzyme will clear it up, add 1/2 tsp per gallon prior to pitching the yeast.

Hi All,

I have a batch of the cider that's been going for a month roughly. It's cleared quite well. I know I should leave it for a quite a while longer. My deal is, I want mine to be carbed. I dont care for flat cider. Thing is, I only made a 1 gallon batch just to test out if I was going to like it. So I have it in a 1 gallon jug. I keg my beer, and have never bottled. Exactly what should I do to get this gallon carbed? Should I move it to bottles? I have some of the sugar bottlers use that came in a few austin kits I have ordered. If so, what kind of bottles?

EDIT: I just had a small sample of my batch. Whoa. I think I just got a buzz from that tablespoon. At any rate. The overall flavor is great, but for my taste I would like it WAY sweeter. What can I do about that at this point?

Hi All,

I have a batch of the cider that's been going for a month roughly. It's cleared quite well. I know I should leave it for a quite a while longer. My deal is, I want mine to be carbed. I dont care for flat cider. Thing is, I only made a 1 gallon batch just to test out if I was going to like it. So I have it in a 1 gallon jug. I keg my beer, and have never bottled. Exactly what should I do to get this gallon carbed? Should I move it to bottles? I have some of the sugar bottlers use that came in a few austin kits I have ordered. If so, what kind of bottles?

EDIT: I just had a small sample of my batch. Whoa. I think I just got a buzz from that tablespoon. At any rate. The overall flavor is great, but for my taste I would like it WAY sweeter. What can I do about that at this point?

To sweeten, just use a unfermentable sugar. Use the search this thread tab, It's all over the place. To carb, dissolve about eigth-to a quarter cup of corn sugar in about 1/4 cup of water or AJ and add to your Apfelwein, mix, then bottle. 3 weeks later, you've got bubbles.

To sweeten, just use a unfermentable sugar. Use the search this thread tab, It's all over the place. To carb, dissolve about eigth-to a quarter cup of corn sugar in about 1/4 cup of water or AJ and add to your Apfelwein, mix, then bottle. 3 weeks later, you've got bubbles.

thanks....I found the splenda posts. Question, how much pressure is going to build in the bottles and how much of a seal is needed? I have some 1L smirnoff bottles, but they have a twisty cap. Am I going to need to find something else?

TIA,

M

thanks....I found the splenda posts. Question, how much pressure is going to build in the bottles and how much of a seal is needed? I have some 1L smirnoff bottles, but they have a twisty cap. Am I going to need to find something else?

Yes, si, oui.... a million times yes

You need a bottle strong enough to hold pressure and not explode or create a leak. Your cheapest bet: get a bunch of brown, pop-top long-neck bottles, a wing capper and enough caps.

Even cheaper bet..Plastic (PET) Seltzer or soda bottles with twistoff cap... They hold pretty high pressure. PLUS you can tell when they are carbed by feeling the bottle.

My family drinks Dr. Pepper in the 12oz PET bottles and I save them and use them. They have no problem holding the pressure, you can tell by the firmness how your carbonation is progressing, and they have a kind of generic shape, so you could re-label them if you wanted to give some away. I only use them once or occasionally twice, as I'm a little afraid of the threads getting weak if I overused them. So far I have had absolutely no problems.

TIA,

M

Smirnoff...ROFL. Sorry man, but that just goes against everything I stand for and I think this forum stands for. Do yourself a favor and buy a 12 pack of Fat Tire and re-use those bottles or something. As said above, your LHBS should have some long necks for around $15 a case, just get yourself some of those.

My family drinks Dr. Pepper in the 12oz PET bottles and I save them and use them. They have no problem holding the pressure, you can tell by the firmness how your carbonation is progressing, and they have a kind of generic shape, so you could re-label them if you wanted to give some away. I only use them once or occasionally twice, as I'm a little afraid of the threads getting weak if I overused them. So far I have had absolutely no problems.
I use the Dr.Pepper all the time because it is my favorite soda.
I pulled a bottle out of fridge that had been in there for about 7 months and it was fine.

Smirnoff...ROFL. Sorry man, but that just goes against everything I stand for and I think this forum stands for.

My other half is not a beer person. It's flavored vodka or nuthin'

thanks for all the replies.. So glad I keg my beer...

I keg my apfelwein. I have the keg at 21 PSI so it's nice and fizzy. To keep it from pouring all foam I used a couple of the twisty thingies mentioned in this thread.

I plan to keg a batch if i like it....this is just a 1 gallon jug. I didnt want to waste a whole 5 gallon batch and my co2 if i didnt care for it. we shall see!

Back