Blonde Ale Miller Lite (Really Triple Hopped)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, I wish I would have seen this thread a couple of weeks ago. A keg of this would have been perfect for the party that I'm having next weekend!

Make for your next football party or for tailgating!! This beer is drinkable in three weeks + 1 day of high pressure forced carbing.

Not to mention is pretty damn cheap. $10-12 per 5 gal batch. The grain is small enough that 10 gal is pretty easy on most peoples set-up.

here's my version with rice in place of corn and all saaz hops. about 11 IBU worth. i will definitely use more next time. i think the saaz i got were only 3% AA, so it may have ended up below 10 IBU. my beer cranked from 1.040 to 1.002, putting it at about 4.9% ABV. it's a good beer, very similar to BMC, especially with the low IBU. i hope the next one separates itself a little from BMC. a slightly dryer budweiser with VERY little ester character from the safale us-05. great clarity, the clearest beer i've brewed to date. brewed it about 3 weeks ago. the dryness is definitely noticeable, i got a slightly 'dry tongue' from drinking a few pints... nothing terrible though. anyway, here is a pic:

DSC00684.jpg

it's getting better by the night. for some strange reason, the dryness was not as apparent tonight, no dry tongue, it was just a great session beer. perhaps because i did a bunch of yard and car work before schwilling a few, but i'll be damned if it wasn't the perfect quench after that kind of work. plus the carbonation is hitting it's stride.

I know what you mean!! My last batch was 10 gallons. I drank about 7 all by my lonesome! This last weekend I killed at least 3 gallons.

I was doing yard work all through the holiday weekend. It was quite tasty being dry not to mention what I drank was all lemony with sorachi ace.

I'm glad you like it!!! :rockin: That beer is super clear. :D

Its pretty damn cool to have something as quaffable as BMC with more flav ain't it?

My last keg of this blew yesterday afternoon. :(

Next time try to hit 16-18 IBUs, use software for the calcs. Contact me if you need help.

Here is a recipe calculator if you need it...The Beer Recipator 2.2

it's getting better by the night. for some strange reason, the dryness was not as apparent tonight, no dry tongue, it was just a great session beer. perhaps because i did a bunch of yard and car work before schwilling a few, but i'll be damned if it wasn't the perfect quench after that kind of work. plus the carbonation is hitting it's stride.

BTW - I serve this at 12 psi! It leaves lots of lace on the glass.

here's my version with rice in place of corn and all saaz hops. about 11 IBU worth. i will definitely use more next time. i think the saaz i got were only 3% AA, so it may have ended up below 10 IBU. my beer cranked from 1.040 to 1.002, putting it at about 4.9% ABV. it's a good beer, very similar to BMC, especially with the low IBU. i hope the next one separates itself a little from BMC. a slightly dryer budweiser with VERY little ester character from the safale us-05. great clarity, the clearest beer i've brewed to date. brewed it about 3 weeks ago. the dryness is definitely noticeable, i got a slightly 'dry tongue' from drinking a few pints... nothing terrible though. anyway, here is a pic:

Did you late hop and dry hop in the same fashion with the Saaz? The late and dry hopping should make this beer stand out from any BMC-ish beer.

i did late hop but no dry hop, i will try that next time. like i said, the saaz i got were only 3% AA, so i think that lowered me down a bit and i've got beersmith, so i should be able to dial it in next time. i'll try the 12 psi, but all 4 of my kegs are on one reg, so i'll just have to adjust it for a few pours, no biggie. i'll definitely be brewing up another batch of this soon as i don't expect this keg to last long. :D

it might also be interesting to try this one with no 60minute addition, just a 20minute to the right ibu, then the 0 and dryhop

Brewed this for my 9/9/09 brew. Used Tet for bittering and Saaz for aroma. I've got another ounce of unknown ( I think they are cascade) hops for dry hopping. Thinking I may add a small amount of honey to the secondary. Bubbling away in the carboy today like mad.

Hit 1.040 for my OG.

Cool!!! The 2ndary gets pretty active too with addition of amylase enzyme. To my surprise I needed a blow off with my first batch.

I tossed in about 8 oz of honey at flame out with my saaz hops. (needed to use it up)

Thinking about putting 12 OZ of honey in the secondary. Not sure what it will add to the beer. But as you have said, its a good beer to use up left over ingredients. I had the 2 row malt left over, as well as the hops. SO why not experiment?

I am beginning to like Safale-05 for yeast. Everytime I have used it I have had great results, and vigorus fermentation.

A friend and I did this 9-9 as our first all grain....everything went great. we added 1/2 pound of 2 row thinking our efficency would suck and ended up having to water down to 1.030. It smells great! I can't wait to get it in a keg.

I tossed in about 8 oz of honey at flame out with my saaz hops. (needed to use it up)

Thinking about putting 12 OZ of honey in the secondary. Not sure what it will add to the beer. But as you have said, its a good beer to use up left over ingredients. I had the 2 row malt left over, as well as the hops. SO why not experiment?

I am beginning to like Safale-05 for yeast. Everytime I have used it I have had great results, and vigorus fermentation.

I'd leave the extra honey out, but that's just me. If you do the honey in the 2ndary, you might try a tertiary for the AE. Either way report back on how it works out for you!

A friend and I did this 9-9 as our first all grain....everything went great. we added 1/2 pound of 2 row thinking our efficency would suck and ended up having to water down to 1.030. It smells great! I can't wait to get it in a keg.

If you go tailgating at all this will not last long! Let me know how yours turns out!!! - Don't forget the AE!!!!

I racked mine after a week and still no activity in the secondary with the AE. Color looks good, can't wait to try it!

it might look like nothing is happening, but look closely and see if little bubbles are rising to the surface. this is what happened with mine. got down to 1.002.

here's another pic of mine when it got nice and carbed up... my dog even wanted a sip. it ended up being a great beer. the keg of it was the fastest gone so far and i drank most of it... oops. the beer isn't as dark as it looks in the pic, but had an awesome head served at 12 psi as schlenkerla suggested... clear as a bell too, the clearest beer i've had BY FAR. i've got the second version in the primary right now.

DSC007101.JPG

:mug:

You know the good thing with the low OG that it gets very drinkable in a short period. I too drank all mine very quickly. If wasn't for the fact that I have to move I'd have some kegged right now!

You know the good thing with the low OG that it gets very drinkable in a short period. I too drank all mine very quickly. If wasn't for the fact that I have to move I'd have some kegged right now!

speaking of kegs...I got my batch of this still sitting. with any luck my new keg setup will be here tuesday or Wednesday and I can get this stuff ready to drink !

version 2.0 is in the secondary, almost done. a few things went differently on this one. i used EKG hops for some reason (why not?), more rice than planned, and even tossed in some DME. i forgot the irish moss and for some reason i got a lot more yeast in this secondary than last time. i added the AE to the secondary this time and had a re-sighting of the krausen for a few days. it has cleared very nicely and i look forward to kegging this up. i'll get a pic or two once it's kegged and carbed.

That is fricken awesome!! :rockin: Pictures Please!!!!

Sorry for the delay, here ya go....

Even has the "Taste Activator Glass" BS

P1060304.jpg

THe keg is gone, and it is a great lawnmower brew. I bottle two of these, and cracked it open about 3 weeks later, the pic above is from that bottle. Friend of mine who drinks Lite all the time, said, "Yepp, thats miller lite"

Dont know if I said it before, but I used safale 05. I thought about lagering it, but got lazy.....and thirsty

Thanks - I can see it at home. I wonder if work is blocking photo bucket.

Your beer is really clear. That's a nice picture.

Chuck's original recipe called for Wyeast 2007. You could also try it with either of these dry yeasts. Too many to choose from...

I have had good results in the past with S-23 on a Helles. It doesn't require the low 40s temps either. (61-68F)

Wyeast 2112 might be a good choice to... (58-68F)

I bought the S23 Saflager. I really like their products. I honestly love Safale 05. Cheap at $2.00 a package and it works awesome everytime. Expect the same from their lager.

Now that my lagering chamber is good to go, I hope to do more lagers. I cant hold 68 but I can hold 50 degrees.

The reason you want it in the secondary is so it further breaks down available sugars. As an example. When you a finished in the primary typical gravity for a 053 mash is around 012 with 05 SafAle. Thats all becasue of attenuation of the yeast. That means there is 012 more sugars left in the fermented beer. By moving to a secondary you reactivate the yeast, by stirring it up and break down the sugars for further processing by the yeast, adding amylase. This is what gives the beer its "dryness" you taste in most commercial beers.

I just have a question about the enzyme addition. Why the secondary?
Wouldn't it make sense to add it to the mash? Or if you want it to operate for a longer time add it right after chilling? Even during the chilling process once your wort is below 150F?

Just curious about how anylase enzyme is used.

Craig

The reason you want it in the secondary is so it further breaks down available sugars. As an example. When you a finished in the primary typical gravity for a 053 mash is around 012 with 05 SafAle. Thats all becasue of attenuation of the yeast. That means there is 012 more sugars left in the fermented beer. By moving to a secondary you reactivate the yeast, by stirring it up and break down the sugars for further processing by the yeast, adding amylase. This is what gives the beer its "dryness" you taste in most commercial beers.

I take it your comment has to do with this post?

Hi I am new to the forum. But, I made a batch of this my first "all grain" racked it to the 2nd added the AE and been 3 days and no activity.. How soon does it usually start? When I racked it it was at 1.008 starting at 1.035.
Thanks
Jim

The activity will be slow. I bet its going now or within the next day or so. The bubbles rise slowly in the carboy.

I had alot of activity when I dry hopped the 1st time. I used whole hops and over filled the carboy, practically to the brim. That was only in the 1st day then it was a slow crawl. Since then every time its been slow.

If you look closely you will see lots of tiny bubbles rising. It takes about two weeks to complete.

Thanks for the reply. My secondary is another bucket right now I have to get a glass carbory. So I can't see any little bubbles. I am only looking at the airlock and there is nothing at all.. Thanks

I pulled the lid off this morning to check the gravity. I did not move yet but as you said there is little tiny bubbles coming up :D

Thanks

I am interested in making this, just wondering if AE is usually avaible at most lhbs? And how much of it do you use?

Back