When is a beer born?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emian

Reaction score
From a philosophical point of view, when is a beer actually born?

I've been dating mine from the date that I pitch my yeast - but is that correct? It's certainly not beer at that time - it's just a sugary mass with yeast in it. Is it from the time that I keg it?, or the time that I pull my first pint?

A loaf of bread isn't a loaf of bread until you pull it out of the oven - is it the same way with beer?

I'd go from brew date. Sometime in the few hours after you close it in there it will bubble, and most/many brewers exclaim, "It's alive!" , right?

Not until the first pour, IMHO. Prior to that you have the option of aborting your little barley fetus. (not recommended)
Conception, however, I believe begins with the pitching of yeast.

According to the gummint, once you add yeast, you have beer. The lhbs up the street will help you brew once or twice if you buy ingredients from them, but because of the law, they are not allowed to add yeast, you have to do that yourself.

I don't think it's really beer until it reaches the "FG" desired and then moved to Keg or Bottle. The fizzle addition is just Icing on the cake.. I eat cake with or without icing....

According to the gummint, once you add yeast, you have beer.

All the literature I've seen refers to it this way as well. Before yeast = wort, immediately upon pitching yeast = beer. So, from a brew-technical perspective, it's beer as soon as the yeast is pitched. Everything else (like "born on", etc.) is in the eye of the beholder.

Here is my take.

Beer is conceived during the brewing process (boil, hops schedule etc.)

Beer matures until it reaches final gravity. (Like a baby in the womb)

At final gravity, the beer is born. (like a baby)

The the beer needs to age more (like a human)

Finally, the beer is drinkable (once it is 21 years old of course)

Here is my take.

Beer is conceived during the brewing process (boil, hops schedule etc.)

Beer matures until it reaches final gravity. (Like a baby in the womb)

At final gravity, the beer is born. (like a baby)

The the beer needs to age more (like a human)

Finally, the beer is drinkable (once it is 21 years old of course)

Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedaphilia...

I like it!

:mug:

What time did you "break water", and how many centimeters is your bung dilated?

Seriously, I would say at the time of alcohol production. (presence of bubbles)

Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedaphilia...

I like it!

:mug:

My thought too.... so the next time I hear someone say they are DUMPING their batch I better see some anti-abortion talk in the debate forums on this!!! :ban:

I have two opinions on when a BEER IS BORN....
1) When the package from Austin arrives at my door or when I get one from the LHBS.
2) When I start sanitizing equipment for a brew day..

I never end a batch and always plan it and brew it through.. not like I steep my grains and say.. umm no I don't think this beer deserves life (To be consumed by me)... Soon as my burner is on its LIFE!

Once you tear open the little foil packet, and spill what's in there into the warm, wet receptacle, you have conceived beer!

Latest posts

Back