There is a cat hair in my carboy of cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porky_pine

Reaction score
I made some cider a few days ago and just noticed today that there is a cat hair floating in one of my carboys. Am I screwed?

Probably fine. I'd just leave it in there(likely to do more damage trying to get than what the hair will do by itself). Nobody but you and the 1000s of HBT members will ever know.:mug:

I've got two cats myself. Seems to me it is rather inevitable to have this happen, and rather impossible to void the kitchen of the random floating cat hairs that wisp around on a daily basis - so I am with you in your worries.

You could do like that Simpson's episode where they let the dogs swim around in the beer at the factory... but with your cats. What sort of flavor would this impart? Let us know how it comes out!

That's why you need one of these.

P1010442 (2).JPG

That looks like the perfect picture! The cat totally fur free just before submersion into the deep fat fryer!!!!
:D

Don't worry a bout a single cat hair.

:off: Don't even know if I had to make the joke - as it was obvious - but I wanted to say something about the cat picture involving a bald pu$$i licking pu$$i but was a afraid I would get in trouble. :D Hee Hee.

So, shoot me... it's been a hell of a night.

It could be worse. My very first brew is fermenting right now. When I was chilling the wort last weekend, I found a giant mosquito hawk floating in it. He was limp instead of crunchy, and I think he was missing a wing, so I am hoping he was boiled long enough to get sanitized.

We're calling the brew Super Fly Blonde.

In a tasting/testing at the 7 day mark, Super Fly Blonde wasn't too bad aside from the young beer green apple thing, no detectable buggy taste or smell.

I won't tell anyone where the name came from til the batch is gone. (Assuming that I get it bottled and conditioned OK and it turns into something truly worth drinking, without any obvious buggy flavors.)

It could be worse. My very first brew is fermenting right now. When I was chilling the wort last weekend, I found a giant mosquito hawk floating in it. He was limp instead of crunchy, and I think he was missing a wing, so I am hoping he was boiled long enough to get sanitized.

We're calling the brew Super Fly Blonde.

In a tasting/testing at the 7 day mark, Super Fly Blonde wasn't too bad aside from the young beer green apple thing, no detectable buggy taste or smell.

I won't tell anyone where the name came from til the batch is gone. (Assuming that I get it bottled and conditioned OK and it turns into something truly worth drinking, without any obvious buggy flavors.)

I think we all have had a bug or two fall into our brews.

I think we all have had a bug or two fall into our brews.

If you live in Florida and brew outside, it can't be avoided. Some of those bugs Kamikaze right into the wort when it's boiling. I now boil with a mini mosquito net over my kettle. No big deal, they get left behind in the trub, it's all good.

FWIW, the average American consumes a pound of insects per year in various foodstuffs, there is an FDA permissible level. I kind of prefer my bugs with a little alcohol given the choice.

If you live in Florida and brew outside, it can't be avoided. Some of those bugs Kamikaze right into the wort when it's boiling. I now boil with a mini mosquito net over my kettle. No big deal, they get left behind in the trub, it's all good.

FWIW, the average American consumes a pound of insects per year in various foodstuffs, there is an FDA permissible level. I kind of prefer my bugs with a little alcohol given the choice.

Nice way to look at it! :mug:

Back