How to clean/sanitize soda dispensers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

htroberts

Reaction score
Does anyone have advice on how to clean an old soda dispenser? It's a countertop electric (refrigerated/icebank, not a cold plate) postmix dispenser that was originally used for soda, but I got it from what looked like a frat house where it had been chilling beer. I'm planning to use it for soda again.

I've searched online, but not found much advice on cleaning soda dispensing equipment, only beer...

Thanks,
Heath

Do you know the make/model? Approximate age?

The refrigeration deck of "most" all counter-top electrics lifts straight up out of the body. You have to take the cover off and disconnect some wire harnesses...but nothing usually to difficult.

At work, we blast the whole think with a pressure washer inside and out.....just try not to directly hit the control board...if it has one. If you do...it's not the end of the world....just blow all the electrical components off real well and let it completely dry out before starting. We never have an issue though. We wash all of our equipment that way...vendors, coolers and fountain machines.

For sanitizing....any food grade sanitizer will work. I am assuming you are going to have bib's (or you are going to dump syrup into a pre-mix tank) and use co2 actuated BIB pumps to pump the syrup to the valves.

Pre-mix tank? Fill one with sanitizer, hook up your connector and run the valves. If you are using BIB's with Quick Connectors (QCD's)....fill a bucket with sanitizer and put your suction tubing from your pumps into the bucket and run the valves. You will have to remove the qcd's or remove the plunger...to get them to draw suction.

Hope this helps.

Jason

Do you know the make/model? Approximate age?

I would have replied sooner, but I had to go look at the ID plate...

It's a Booth "Laser S". Looks like the manufacture date is 1991. (kind of impressive that it works)

The refrigeration deck of "most" all counter-top electrics lifts straight up out of the body. You have to take the cover off and disconnect some wire harnesses...but nothing usually to difficult.

This one's the same--actually the only wiring is the A/C power cord for the refrigeration.

At work, we blast the whole think with a pressure washer inside and out.....just try not to directly hit the control board...if it has one. If you do...it's not the end of the world....just blow all the electrical components off real well and let it completely dry out before starting. We never have an issue though. We wash all of our equipment that way...vendors, coolers and fountain machines.

For sanitizing....any food grade sanitizer will work. I am assuming you are going to have bib's (or you are going to dump syrup into a pre-mix tank) and use co2 actuated BIB pumps to pump the syrup to the valves.

This is a pre-mix dispenser, so I'll be using corny kegs. I'll probably start by pouring in 2L bottles and re-carbonating--that seems to be the cheapest & fastest way to start experimenting. Assuming that goes well, I think I'll buy some syrup, mix with drinking water in the kegs, and force-carbonate it.

Pre-mix tank? Fill one with sanitizer, hook up your connector and run the valves. If you are using BIB's with Quick Connectors (QCD's)....fill a bucket with sanitizer and put your suction tubing from your pumps into the bucket and run the valves. You will have to remove the qcd's or remove the plunger...to get them to draw suction.

Again, this one's a pre-mix dispenser. I do have a bunch of post-mix components, but that will have to be the next project. I need to find a supply of good syrup first. I love Coca-Cola, but I want a sugar-sweetened variety. I'd also like to buy some Boylan's grape & cherry post-mix syrup. I emailed them, and they said they'd sell to me, but now seem reluctant to help me find an actual distributor.

Has anyone bought from Midwest Syrup?

Hope this helps.

Jason

Very helpful, thanks.

I do have a follow-up/clarification, though (I should have been more specific):

My cleaning/sanitization question was mostly around the internal (soda-contacting) parts of the dispenser. Although it looks like it will be a pain in the ass, I think I'll replace all the flexible tubing, but I don't know how to clean the inside of the stainless coils--they're pretty small, and the short ones (2 circuits are longer, 4 are shorter) have *very* tight bends in them, so I don't think there's any way I could push a brush through, even if I had one.

I guess sanitization is straightforward--run some sanitizer through. But if I can't physically scrub it, is BLC or something similar going to take out any crud that's built up in there? Is there a "BLC" for soda systems?

Thanks again,
Heath

I do have a follow-up/clarification, though (I should have been more specific):

My cleaning/sanitization question was mostly around the internal (soda-contacting) parts of the dispenser. Although it looks like it will be a pain in the ass, I think I'll replace all the flexible tubing, but I don't know how to clean the inside of the stainless coils--they're pretty small, and the short ones (2 circuits are longer, 4 are shorter) have *very* tight bends in them, so I don't think there's any way I could push a brush through, even if I had one.

I guess sanitization is straightforward--run some sanitizer through. But if I can't physically scrub it, is BLC or something similar going to take out any crud that's built up in there? Is there a "BLC" for soda systems?

I would use PBW ....or even oxyclean and let it sit in the lines overnight....then flush them all out with your sanitizer. They do a good job of knocking down the crud....I have not actually used BLC before.

Back