Vanilla Bourbon Oak Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill10827

Reaction score
I've got a recipe for a high gravity Vanilla Bourbon Oak Stout that calls for soaking oak chips in bourbon for a week. I have a new 5 gal french oak meidum roast barrel that I would like to put this brew into to age.

My question is or problem is should I follow the recipe and put the oak chips in or should I leave the chips out and just put the brew in the barrel when it is ready? If I do that when should I put the bourbon in? At what temp is the best for aging a beer?

Leave the chips out...you'll get plenty of oak from the barrel. IMO, the best time to add the bourbon is right before bottling or kegging.

In my BVIP recipe, I use 375 ml. of bourbon for 5 gal. of beer. It's just enough to taste without screaming "BOURBON!" at you. But I recommend you decide for yourself the same way I did. Pour 4 2 o. samples of the beer with bourbon. Add a measured amount of bourbon to each. Taste them, decide which you like best, then scale that amount of bourbon up for the whole batch.

Back