Is this infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sprhntr

Reaction score
showphoto.php

I opened my primary this morning, to rack to the secondary and this was floating on top. Is it infected and what should I do. It's my second batch ever (lawnmower lager) and my first (amber ale) didn't have anything like this.

Can any of you veterans give me some advice, or is this just some krausen resin?
:confused:
showphoto.php

www.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=19765

well without a picture we can't see...BUT more than likely it is still remnances of krausen, and that more than likely means that fermentation is still going on, and I wouldn't rack....

Have you taken a hydro reading???

How come you guys could see the pic??? I had to quote then cut and paste it into another browser window...

Yeah it's Krauzen curdels...some yeasts leave cottage cheesy looking things floatiing after the krausen fals...but usually they settle out..you can rack under it if you insist on secondaring today...

Just rack underneath the surface and if you have one, wrap a paint strainer around the end to filter out the stuff.

If you can filter it out...don't worry, it'll settle in the secondary.
Hopstopper_3.jpg

Thanks, you guys are great.

I am going to go to the secondary so I can get another batch brewed into the primary tomorrow.:mug:

BierMuncher has ugly junk, just making sure you're aware of this. If this was an extract brew (as my spidey sense is tingling away) you probably added pellet hops to the brew. Most of the time, these pellet hops add a superlayer above your krauzen.

tl;dr:
It's all okay. Your brew + time = okay.

Back