Motorized Monster Mill on SS table

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarlLBC

Reaction score
Been wanting to upgrade my P.O.S. thrown together scrap wood mill station. I love stainless steel. Its shinny, easy to clean, looks professional and it's shinny. :D So, needless to say i've been looking for small (24"x24") SS tables on ebay. found one pretty cheap for 50.00 brand new and shippend for 25.00.
16 gauge SS top, galvanized legs and adjustable shelf. I had already purchased a 3 roller Monster Mill and a Delta motor. Bought belt and pulleys from mcmastercarr. (love that place) The rest is self explainitory.

Picture_0152.jpg

Picture_017.jpg

Picture_0181.jpg

That's nice! Is the motor mounted on top of the table or just sitting there until you mount it below?

EDIT: nm, I see there are no bolts holding it down. Plus, there is no room for the belt where it sits currently. I should have looked closer before asking. ;)

It'll stay on top so the grain dust doesn't get in the motor. I still need to cut the piece out near the motor to fit the belt. I'm trying to cut the least amount out of the table that I can.
I've been looking for SS sheets to bend and use as guards for the belt and pulley. Mcmaster has what I need. I don't want to cut/mangle my finger after a few beers when i'm milling grain.

Good luck with the table. It looks like by the time you remove enough of the table top to get your belt on, you may have a very flimsy top. Vibration is going to be a problem.

Great job so far, my only concern would be that the table top would amplify the noise of the motor and mill. Maybe gluing a piece of plywood underneath would work to reduce the noise and keep the top from flexing a lot.

Stainless table + Delta motor + 3-roller Monster Mill = Best Milling Station Ever. Seriously, that thing looks all business. I just have a 2-roller Monster Mill, but motorizing it is one of the best things I have ever done.

It'll stay on top so the grain dust doesn't get in the motor. I still need to cut the piece out near the motor to fit the belt. I'm trying to cut the least amount out of the table that I can.
I've been looking for SS sheets to bend and use as guards for the belt and pulley. Mcmaster has what I need. I don't want to cut/mangle my finger after a few beers when i'm milling grain.

Wouldn't the cut need to be from pulley to motor? The only way I see it working with just an opening near the motor is with a spliced belt.

If his belt is real short it would bring the motor up very close to the mill, then he would only need to make the slot slightly bigger to accommodate the belt.

Linc

Wouldn't the cut need to be from pulley to motor? The only way I see it working with just an opening near the motor is with a spliced belt.

did you look at the picture. the piece for the pully is already out. I need to extend it, but I need to figure out the least amount to cut.

Good luck with the table. It looks like by the time you remove enough of the table top to get your belt on, you may have a very flimsy top. Vibration is going to be a problem.

the table is 16 gauge and has two thick pieces running the length of the table underneath. the mill and pulley are mounted between. So, I hope the top will be sturdy. feels like it should be. I'll probably put some rubber between the motor and the table. it'll vibrate reguardless, I can live with it.

the table is 16 gauge and has two thick pieces running the length of the table underneath. the mill and pulley are mounted between. So, I hope the top will be sturdy. feels like it should be. I'll probably put some rubber between the motor and the table. it'll vibrate reguardless, I can live with it.

Some sticky back rubber would probably help on the underside to reduce overall vibration. Keep the updates coming, we all love to see the stuff others come up with so we can steal their ideas at a later date.:mug:

I finally got back to work. man I love Mcmaster, I ordered in the morning and it came via UPS the next evening. I ordered two shorter belts, 42" and 44" and a few 20 gauge SS sheets. the 52" belt on my earlier setup was too long.
Here is a picture without the SS guard and hopper.

October_08_032.jpg

I shortend the length of the motor to the Mill to make room for the switch and to minimize the amount of material cut out of the table. Here is a picture of the underside of the table with the switch box. it has the barcode on it.

October_08_034.jpg

So far everything is working perfect. there is little to no vibration when switched on. the only problem i've had is bending the 20 gauge SS sheets for the guard. I've been using an old hopper until I figure out what to do.

Very, very, very late update. It's been operational for a few years. Monster mill finally put out a hopper and just recently an extension. I got the hopper a while back and had to remount the mill on top due to the design. I like it better on the top so it ended up being win-win. I was happy to see an extension put out which I bought as soon as he put them on his website for sale. I do 5-20 gallon batches so I really needed the extension. I ended up riveting it all together so it looks cleaner/more professional. The last thing I need to do is put the last SS belt guard in place, but it's really safe now so that'll happen when I have nothing else to do. I doesn't vibrate at all. I didn't have to cut too much of the table out for the belt and mill opening, and I actually just cut the table and bent the pieces down. I believe this keeps some strength and helps guard the belt. The motor and mill are perpendicular to two channel supports under the table which keeps everything quit sturdy. you can kinda see it in the third pic.

100_0667.JPG

100_0668.JPG

100_0669.JPG

Im about to confirm all purchases for this tonight to make the exact same thing just without the motor im gunna use a cheap drill to keep things simple..

stainless steel 18 guage Table 24x24 $70 shipped ebay
Monster Mill 2.0 hardened steel with hopper extension $260 shipped to canada
Handheld drill $45 shipped
Outlet receptical $8

so once all this is in and ready to go il update with pictures and may have a few questions for help :)

I know you say that vibration and noise aren't an issue. However... you may want to pick up some Dynamat to adhere to hidden surfaces like the underside of the table, the inside of the belt guard, etc.

I know Dynamat is made for cars, but it's good for so much more. I have a pellet stove that a tech said was the loudest he'd ever heard. Thanks to Dynamat it's now whisper quiet and I can hear my tv again! (I've silenced my desktop computer, too and am considering the washer/dryer next)

I bought a Baldor USA made motor from electric motor site has excellent prices an great service if anyone is looking for a motor and pulleys. I have no connection to the company just thought i would share. Putting my mill together this week with a 2" stainless monster mill. Will post some pics when done. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back